Match Thread Rangers v Malmö - 20:00 Tuesday - Premier Sports

When the players needed the crowd most they went quite, from 35 minutes in all you could hear was the union bears..standing with yer arms folded cause we haven't scored a second yet...
Well last season there was empty seats sitting doing phuck all with their arms...are professional football players on thousands of pounds a week put off by fans folding their phuckin arms these days ??

I really don’t know why we didn’t shift a player (who might be angling for a move anyway) and bring in a Veerman and Bright-Samuel (spelling) earlier in the window.

Players like that would have given us something extra in the final third.

I agree.

We've seen this before -- when they went down to 10 men, it looked as if they had the extra man.

Playing the entire second half with 11 against their 10, we really should have seen every outfield player of theirs in possession being closed down immediately.
And when we had possession we should have made the numbers count with passing (ironically, the only time that that sideways passing can pay off).

Unfortunately, when they attacked, they went through us like a hot knife through butter -- I was absolutely baffled as to where this "extra man" of ours was.

As others mention, we looked considerably better when Sakala & Hagi came on, but it was all too late.

There's another aspect to this: we only made 2 subs.
Really ? We genuinely couldn't have gone for broke in the last 10 minutes and got on the nippiness and pace of Patterson, or the physique and more directness of Bassey, or even another goal-scorer like Itten ?

He might still be passionate.

Legs are gone. He wasnt involved in anything constructive tonight. He's off the pace of the game at this level and it's his 4th match in 11 days. He needs to sit really deep as he can't cover the ground if he plays further forward. He only went forward in either leg when we had to chase the game.

I get why Davis is popular but if you look at him objectively? He's done at this level. The goal over in Sweden aside, his performance in both legs have been poor. He can get away with it in the SPFL against most teams. He'd potentially be a good sub to make in the bigger games where the fitness gap won't be as telling and where his technical ability might help retain possession.

Games like tonight or last week in Sweden? Offers nothing.
You are a moron

Fuckin right, these players shouldnt put on a Jersey again,
I couldn’t have said it better myself. Where was the never say die attitude that we saw against the likes of Braga?

They weren't outplayed.

First leg was close but we weren't ahead of them. Tonight we stopped playing around 35 minutes in and Malmo looked comfortable.

We've shown up better than Malmo for 35 minutes in 180 over 2 legs.
This was the CL, teams take their chances from our bad defending

Legs are gone. He wasnt involved in anything constructive tonight. He's off the pace of the game at this level and it's his 4th match in 11 days. He needs to sit really deep as he can't cover the ground if he plays further forward. He only went forward in either leg when we had to chase the game.

I get why Davis is popular but if you look at him objectively? He's done at this level. The goal over in Sweden aside, his performance in both legs have been poor. He can get away with it in the SPFL against most teams. He'd potentially be a good sub to make in the bigger games where the fitness gap won't be as telling and where his technical ability might help retain possession.

Can't disagree much, but you have to wonder why we seem to have laid our first 4 games at the feet of Steven Davis. Many of us expected him to be the guy who was going to be slowly replaced in the lineup over the season. He's played every minute so far. Did he need to play on Saturday? Seems like a bad idea.

For the record, I am 100% in Gerrard's corner. This is a painful blip in his record. Ironically, if he hadn't managed us to such successful campaign's in his first 3 seasons, we'd have probably needed an extra qualifying round and would have had a couple more competitive games under our belt.

From Barrier to Bombscare: The story of the Rangers defence!! The imposters on the left and right need to have a serious fvcking word with themselves.

Goldson played every game last season, he'll be lucky to play every game this week. Absolutely woeful in the past 3 matches.

Balogun replacing Helander is Gerrards fault, as is Arfield in front of a fit Hagi, what the %^*& was that about?

Kent AWOL again. The best chance of reaching the Champions league was presented to us when they went down to 10 men, our amateur approach to the 2nd half was fuckin unforgiveable and every last one of those fuckin imposters should hang their heads in shame.

But worry not Bears, we are getting a fucking museum, that's in real danger of becoming our disco lights...watch this space!

Man of the Match, don’t make me laugh. That was just as an inept performance as I have ever seen. No shape, no tactics on view, no heart, no effort, it was just pathetic.

Problem is we were so poor after the first half hour, it’s almost impossible to see how we can improve that team, they don’t even look fit.

What a let down, Mon the Gers, get it sorted, and quickly.

They weren't outplayed.

First leg was close but we weren't ahead of them. Tonight we stopped playing around 35 minutes in and Malmo looked comfortable.

We've shown up better than Malmo for 35 minutes in 180 over 2 legs.
I have to disagree. We don’t switch off and Malmö don’t score. We handed it to them.

Jon Dahl Tomasson, dare I say, should be our next manager?

Thanks Stevie for stopping the filth get 10 but it's not working, it's just not working.

Get that Malmö guy in and bring with him the guy that scored their two goals tonight.

Pull out the stops Rangers and give this guy (Tomasson) an offer he can't refuse.

It's time for a change.

There was no chance he was being sacked after a last-minute loss to St.Mirren in the cup.

It's the easiest thing to shout 'change'. Given the progress and improvement culminating in last season's success, the management don't deserve to lose their jobs at the beginning of August.

People should show a little faith. However I'm not surprised the knives are already out.
The team is underperforming. If there's someone else who can get more out of them then we should let them.

I'm not saying I necessarily think there is someone else who could, but there's no denying this team has underperformed multiple times over multiple seasons under Gerrard.

Jon Dahl Tomasson, dare I say, should be our next manager?

Thanks Stevie for stopping the filth get 10 but it's not working, it's just not working.

Get that Malmö guy in and bring with him the guy that scored their two goals tonight.

Pull out the stops Rangers and give this guy (Tomasson) an offer he can't refuse.

It's time for a change.
Stupid post aside....

You'd be better getting the central defenders that blocked shots.

The two full backs have been getting selected on reputation so far, SG has some big decisions to make.
Tonight makes you wonder if the defenders practice ball watching in training.
Im glad Im not the only one thinking this.
The captain looks a different player. And should never be immune from criticism.
The rest of that back 5 equally as bad

Just read a comment on Twitter from a bear who was talking to a former board member who was telling him 5 players are wanting away, could pick them a mile out

Might explain SGs demeanor at previous press conferences.

Today's players dont care about the colour of the jersey. They're more interested in the colour of the money.

Woeful. Teams have got SG sussed. We cant change the way we play. You would of thought we had the 10 men. Too slow and laboured in the build up then cant cross past the first defender. The golden children need dropped.

Our European results have been superb for a few years. The support of our board has been superb.

Tonight was the difference between a team well into their season and a team who's best striiker has had zero pre-season games instead of 5 or 6.

Absolute madness.

It's time for a change.
Uft. Bed time for you fella.

Agreed. Hagi and Sakala did show the urgency you want from subs, but brought on too late and too much to do.
yeah they did but like you see brought on too late, unfortunately Europa for us but on this form I am even worried about getting to the groups with that.

Davis was the best player for us tonight

The two full backs have been getting selected on reputation so far, SG has some big decisions to make.
Tonight makes you wonder if the defenders practice ball watching in training.

Havent you seen the training video?. They play dodge ball with those large swiss balls you get in a gym. I think it helps them miss the ball in games.

We've seen this before -- when they went down to 10 men, it looked as if they had the extra man.

Playing the entire second half with 11 against their 10, we really should have seen every outfield player of theirs in possession being closed down immediately.
And when we had possession we should have made the numbers count with passing (ironically, the only time that that sideways passing can pay off).

Unfortunately, when they attacked, they went through us like a hot knife through butter -- I was absolutely baffled as to where this "extra man" of ours was.

As others mention, we looked considerably better when Sakala & Hagi came on, but it was all too late.

There's another aspect to this: we only made 2 subs.
Really ? We genuinely couldn't have gone for broke in the last 10 minutes and got on the nippiness and pace of Patterson, or the physique and more directness of Bassey, or even another goal-scorer like Itten ?

That's what disappointed me most. Losing 1-2 to ten men was bad enough, but going out with a whimper just made it worse. We caused them next to no problems with almost 30 minutes remaining.

More or less back. Long walk home this for an half hour walk.

Today we did try. We just wasn't good enough. They are just 10x better. Also Defensively that was worst I've seen for a while for the second goal.

I love tav but does he like to have 1 good season then 1 pish one?

Our defensive needs improving quickly. We probably can't now as we've tossed it up today.

Morelos
Fashion when he came on was only the ones looking lively.

Others tried which I can't fault but wasn't good enough.
Feels like this is a Swedish translation on google. They are not 10 x better. We did try? Did we? It’s not about trying at this level. It’s about mentality, composure, awareness and not making fundamental errors (x4).

Our European results have been superb for a few years. The support of our board has been superb.

Tonight was the difference between a team well into their season and a team who's best striiker has had zero pre-season games instead of 5 or 6.

Absolute madness.
Don’t think it has anything to do with Morelos, who was our best player. More to do with inept preparation. Inept decision making with Helander or Balogun. Inept decision making. Inept composure.
Malmö were fit but on the ropes in that first half. We have them a route out with the goal for 1-1. Most decent teams would regroup then. Not us. Like Benfica. Like Antwerp and Malmö last week we laid out the invitation for another cheap goal. Mainly because Gerrard think Helander has a pace issue for countering teams when in fact he rarely gets done for pace. And Balogun has pace but is rash and many levels below Helander.

Its similar to time in 90 s we lost to Ak Athens falkirk and septic tonight
The fans were brilliant
I still can't believe we were ahead they get a man sent off and make a arse of in second half

I'm just in and still don't understand what happened tonight. Half time, extatic we are in a great position then we did the exact same as last week.

How did we lose that game?

Nowhere near good enough in the second half. Bringing on Sakala and throwing a high ball constantly in to the box which wasn't working. The final third in the second half was woeful.

We were already without Roofe and Kamara to compound those losses with the omission of Hagi and Helander was instrumental to us losing tonight.
If Hagi had been fit he would have started,when he came on what did he produce? Not much more than started,at h.t tie was ours to throw away,looked as though players thought all they had to do was turn up in 2nd half,we looked like team with 10 men,so predictable,get the ball wide and throw aimless balls in to box,no matter who played tactics were shocking.

Im glad Im not the only one thinking this.
The captain looks a different player. And should never be immune from criticism.
The rest of that back 5 equally as bad
I know it was only pre-season but I thought Bassey did really well and didn’t merit getting dropped imo.

I am a BB fan but he doesn’t look fit and I honestly didn’t see him go past a guy all night. Maybe he isn’t fit yet or for some reason his confidence is shot but I would bring Bassey back in for a few games.

Free kick middle of the goals 25 yards out and we either playing in someone that is offside or just chip it up for the keeper to collect.

We need out as if Barisic and Taverner were the next coming of Csrlos and Cafu last season. The pair of them have been embarrassing from the start of the season.

Back