MOTM Poll Rangers v Napoli - 20:00 Wednesday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lots of spirit but at no stage did I believe we might win that game.
We lack CL quality and several of our mainstay players are out of nick.

Agreed 100%. Being realistic does not go well on this forum. If you watched how Napoli play when they don't have the ball, you'd see how quick and hungry they were to get the ball back.
They didn't just wait for one our players to receive the ball. They "anticipated" where we were going to pass the ball so they were always stealing the ball from us.

Look at how Barisic was attacked from behind whenever he was trotting down toward their goal.
Arfield had the ball taken away because he too was unaware of anyone coming in from behind.
The quality of players they had with football brains was clearly evident.
I will always be honest in my assessment and can just about manage to take my blue tinted glasses off for a short period.

What is gutting is that we had a team last year reach a final and we should have been building on that for this year, we should be competing but if anything we have gone backwards by a distance.

I am not convinced that Gio has had that much input on who has come in, why has their been no Dutch players, you would assume a Dutch manager would be looking at the players in a country that he will know inside and out and will have a pull for players from that league?

Mental that in the space of a couple months our defence has seen an outstanding young talent in Bassey replaced by Sands.

Sands is never a defender, constantly found out.

Davies, Souttar, Helander...don't even know where to begin.

King, great potential but we should not be experimenting and putting an 18 year old under such immense pressure.

What a shit show our recruitments been when you look back.
the typical scottish outlook, if he's playing well and better than those around him he should be first choice.

Last night proved we're STILL a decent team.

Carry that attitude for domestic games and we're in with a fantastic chance of silverware.

I also think we might just get some points from Liverpool and Ajax at Ibrox!

Left last night thinking that on the whole, the score wasn't a true reflection on the game. The sending off changed everything & 3 nil flattered them.
Now having watched it again, we're simply not good enough as-
Individuals
A team
Management
We are disjointed, we don't seem to possess any style of play or game plan.
Team formation & player positioning is confusing as fcuk.
Could go on & on.
There's a team in there, but something isn't clicking. Can only guess at what.
Gio won't get the same trophyless run as Gerrard did, so here's hoping he can turn things around sharpish or it will be someone else in the door by Christmas.
If he does go, then hopefully Ross Wilson joins him.

Last night proved we're STILL a decent team.

Carry that attitude for domestic games and we're in with a fantastic chance of silverware.

I also think we might just get some points from Liverpool and Ajax at Ibrox!

Based on what...?

Perspective... Napoli are top of Serie A, came to an intimidating ground for an away team, played an extra game at the weekend before traveling whereas we had seven days off and still won by 3. I think even if we kept 11 on the field they'd have won as I thought they had an extra gear or two in them. Their forward seemed like he wasn't interested at times if you watch it back, tho might be his general play.

It's disappointing to lose, but no great embarrassment against a team of their quality. As someone mentioned above, they've individual players with football brains at a higher level than ours and technique to back it up. We competed tho, which I think a lot here didn't think we'd do (me included) so that's a positive going into the next game. I'm not going to celebrate that as a victory tho like another team did against Madrid.

It's clear we miss Aribo and to a larger extent Bassey, so anyone claiming this is the "same team" as last year needs to remember that. We're not. Poor recruitment hasn't helped.

Morelos made the difference last night, but still staggeringly unfit and that near second yellow could have ended him and any progress he's made. Another red and there would be no turning back for him. I'd argue he's not the only one with fitness issues, that's on Gio.

Will Gio lose more games before Xmas? I fear he will... And I mean in the league too. I genuinely can't see us with him as manager going into 2023, especially if it turns out he had any day in the transfers this summer... Which tbf, I don't think he did. I don't think he would prefer Matondo, Colak, Yilmaz, Davies over Dutch targets. No proof of that tho.

the typical scottish outlook, if he's playing well and better than those around him he should be first choice.
Get that to an extent but as Stevie G once said about a young McRorrie in a struggling Rangers team...the pressure and expectation on the kids shoulders could ruin his career. These players now have to be protected to a degree.

Back