Match Thread Rangers v Olympiacos - Wednesday 19:45 - RangersTV

We are still in preseason with almost a completely new squad. I am sure that most of them don’t even know who has the next peg to them in the dressing room never mind how they play. I am happy with Butland but Tav is getting older every week and will need replaced soon. Davies is competent and Yfeko or whatever his name is,too raw. Borna is no worse than the wee superstar in the eyes of FF and is competent as well. Midfield will tear up the SPFL no matter who we put on and our forward line should score a lot of goals .Matondo is anything but a lost cause and has the raw talent to succeed As does Lovelace. Finally, Hagi should not be sold as he is the best midfielder we have.

Some quite incredible takes in there. So many in fact, in one post I'd
have to question whether you are at it here?

I’m holding on to the rare moments when we just about had a good bit of play. Hopefully it’s just not quite clicking yet and will.
We also seemed to react a second behind them to most things and move that bit slower. Hopefully the heavy training sessions are to blame for that and we’ll reap rewards in the end.
Finally you’d expect a good game against Olympiacos.

Are you sure you weren't watching a game of fifa?
No mate, I just think that the game overall was a bit stale by both teams.

They didn’t dominate us, we didn’t dominate them.

They took their chances and made some good saves.

Don’t forget that this is pre season where the players are getting hammered in training. They’re not going into games fresh like they would be during the season.

If I was Beale I would be looking for another last minute game next midweek to get more time to gel these players. I don't think one more game is going to be enough before the league starts. They look like they need more time to play together.

Aye, even a closed door game at auchenhowie. The players out there who've been here a while have barely played together, nevermind the new boys. The back 4 that started have all been here at least a year but lucky if that 4 have played 10 games together.

Hoffenheim game needs to be as close to the starting 11 for kilmarnock as possible.

I'm not gonna spit the dummy out the pram yet, we where below par and the new squad are still trying to find there feet in a new way of playing, no longer just give the ball to Kent and hope he creates something. It will take time we all laughed at them when Ange came in but he got it right. We need to calm down give it a chance I agree tonight was not great but it's a work in progress.

If I was Beale I would be looking for another last minute game next midweek to get more time to gel these players. I don't think one more game is going to be enough before the league starts. They look like they need more time to play together.
If he was looking to gel these players he wouldn't have made so many substitutions tonight or at the weekend.

No mate, I just think that the game overall was a bit stale by both teams.

They didn’t dominate us, we didn’t dominate them.

They took their chances and made some good saves.

Don’t forget that this is pre season where the players are getting hammered in training. They’re not going into games fresh like they would be during the season.
100% people need to remember this is our 3rd game in 7 days while doing double sessions.

I've played enough football and I'm sure many others on here have, to recognise that lundstram deliberately chipped the ball up a little bit too far in front of himself so he could go through one of them. The game was going that way.
That just doesn't sound right.

Joking aside it was the only time he tried to do something positive, his touch is fookin awful, he lost control of the ball and then lunged into the opposition player.

Im not a manager but for me, this game and Saturday should have been an opportunity to play our best 11 then make changes in last 20 like any other game. Not sure how our new 11 are supposed to gel like this

Obviously we never like to see Rangers lose, regardless of what it is we’re playing in.

As usual, there’s a vast % of our fans lose their minds in panic over what is effectively a training game.

Performance was crap, we seen that.
Beale will have seen it too & we back him to solve the problems. That’s why he’s the manager.

It’s likely another couple of faces come & go before our 1st meaningful game. I know who I’d happily never see in a Rangers shirt again, a couple of them played tonight.

If we’re a handful of games into the season & this type of performance is still there then aye we have the right to be concerned.

Friendlies mean fück all.
Our fan base must be the most bi-polar on the planet.

Players playing bad. I can accept.
Players not quite match fit. I can accept.
My difficulty watching tonight is I could not work out the tactics or formation.
My worry tonight is the realisation that if Goldson gets injured our season is fecked.

Oh dear, where do you start with that performance. Defence all over the place and midfield and forwards not linking up. That was a real downer tonight.

100% people need to remember this is our 3rd game in 7 days while doing double sessions.
I do remember Beale talking about the multiple sessions in the days prior to this game, so he knew we would come into this game with heavy legs. Should in theory feel the benefit when the real stuff begins.

That performance was alarming. Mcglaughlin doesn't deserve game time but having said that, defense was poor in general. 3 sloppy goals conceded and after all these players coming in it doesn't give me much hope in that they seem to offer no creativity as of this point. I know the team needs to 'gel' but friendly or not, that was poor tonight.

That just doesn't sound right.

Joking aside it was the only time he tried to do something positive, his touch is fookin awful, he lost control of the ball and then lunged into the opposition player.
Red card in any non-friendly game.
The guy is a liability & needs punted pronto.

But I read on here earlier the Greeks were piss poor ?
In fairness they came tonight and played like it was a qulaifier. They were throwing everything into challenges, were aggressive in nature and a few waves of scuffles near the end of the game too. That doesn't happen unless there's a bit of needle in the game. Their big no8 was looking for a scrap all night. They were a decent team that were organised and wanted it more.

Hope the pre season cliches are true to their word coz that’s been absolutely dreadful , Newcastle we can understand but there’s been zero entertainment or excitement the other 2 games , lots of excuses available at this time of year with the amount of new players but playing the flying last season Cantwell deeper and taking him right out the game isn’t one of them

Last year against them it was Tav/Borna they targeted and forced mistakes. In Europe they target that space as well, everyone apart from Beale knows our LB/RB cannot defend or stay aware positionally. Borna can’t even go forward half the time sideways or back passes but can’t defend either so wtf is he ? Tav is just u able to defend in any way, they even target him at corners as he’s useless and can’t head a ball.

Obviously we never like to see Rangers lose, regardless of what it is we’re playing in.

As usual, there’s a vast % of our fans lose their minds in panic over what is effectively a training game.

Performance was crap, we seen that.
Beale will have seen it too & we back him to solve the problems. That’s why he’s the manager.

It’s likely another couple of faces come & go before our 1st meaningful game. I know who I’d happily never see in a Rangers shirt again, a couple of them played tonight.

If we’re a handful of games into the season & this type of performance is still there then aye we have the right to be concerned.

Friendlies mean fück all.
Our fan base must be the most bi-polar on the planet.

This is the concern though? If we are a handful of games in chances are we’ve crashed out of Europe and are slipping behind in the league early on.

We don’t have time to afford stupid choices made tonight.

Success from Tav's corners is roughly 1: In a Blue Moon.

Yet it looks like we're set for the same this season!

Surely Tav would be more useful at the edge of the box.

A sensible manager would pay more attention to the odds - like Ladbrokes!!!

Neither up nor down after that. Typical pre season friendly in every way.

Players were very leggy again, I assume that is down to the current stage they are with training I.e. high intensity then straight into a match.

it’s going to take time to bring this team together properly, that’s just a fact and isn't happening in the 3rd pre season friendly.

They looked a very good side and certainly fitter at this stage.

A good few need to calm down a bit although yet again, we go into another season concerned with our LB, RB and CD’s. That’s my biggest worry at the moment.
Get rid of ur cds altogether now, Spotify is the way forward mate

But I read on here earlier the Greeks were piss poor ?

Never trust FFs assessment of any team outside the British isles. Most are utterly clueless and just google their league position from last season, then draw massive unwarranted conclusions. Olympiacos are a decent side, not the best side in Greece at the moment, but still miles ahead of anything we face domestically outwith the tims.

Roofe and Jack will be back soon.
200.gif

Out of all of the disappointing things tonight two things irked me more than anything
- Lundstram is still awful and should only ever be played in an emergency. Kamara has been totally disinterested and terrible for months, but I’d still play him ahead of lumbering Lundstram
- Jon McLaughlin is rotten and the way he passed three times to Yfeko putting him under increasing pressure for no good reason was unbelievable

Back