Match Thread Rangers v Olympiacos - Wednesday 19:45 - RangersTV

Just on way home from game. I know it was a friendly but I’m a bit depressed after watching that. Lammers, Sima and Matondo only ones to get pass marks. Maybe Souttar. The rest either anonymous or just plain poor. Same old long diagonal ball ripping us to pish. Any thoughts that Yfeko is the new Bassey surely dispelled by that half hour. Lundstram a complete mare. Tav banging every cross into the defenders knees. Barisic being Barisic. Even Fashion couldn’t save us. Let’s hope that’s a bad one out of the system because that sort of performance will see us dumped out of the CL pronto.

Friendly or not, that was poor. Taken apart by a mediocre European side 3-0 at home (Im not gonna count Tavs penalty as it was a clear dive by Cantwell. He should be ashamed of that) is not acceptable at any level

I'll confess I knew nothing about any of the players we've signed over this transfer window, but I cant see any difference from last season. Four games in and we just dont seem to have any game plan or cohesion to our play. I kept hearing on here that Colak had to leave because he didnt fit Beale's style. I wish I knew what that style was, 'cos I cant see it for the life of me.

I'm getting seriously worried for the season ahead. Especially if we go into it with the same defence in place. Every game its an absolute bombscare, The players we have there are simply not good enough.

It's time to focus on a settled first 11 and get them used to each other. We need to decide who is the person running the midfield. I thought this might be Raskin, but he played far too deep today didnt seem to want to hold the ball. Was that his or the manager's decision. If he isnt going to be the playmaker who is? Hagi? Cantwell? Time to give someone the responsibility and start building around them.

Finally what happened to Lawrence? Wasnt he due to make his come back? Or is this another 4week + 4week + 4week recovery periods?

This is the concern though? If we are a handful of games in chances are we’ve crashed out of Europe and are slipping behind in the league early on.

We don’t have time to afford stupid choices made tonight.
We’re guaranteed (at least) europa groups so wouldn’t have crashed out of Europe after 5 games regardless of performances.

It’s preseason, it’s about trying different things & getting minutes in legs.

I accept tonight was chronic & I’d be hoping to see better but as I said, it’s a pre-season friendly. That’s just the way I see it.

Folk saying it takes time to gel. I get that. The amount of new faces is a failing of the club. Unfortunately we don't have time to gel. A draw with Kilmarnock or a defeat to Genk, with the "it'll come good when we gel" patter won't wash. We need to get ahead of the phaedos for once, and see how they respond. The CL qualification needs no explanation.

Friendly or not, that was poor. Taken apart by a mediocre European side 3-0 at home (Im not gonna count Tavs penalty as it was a clear dive by Cantwell. He should be ashamed of that) is not acceptable at any level

I'll confess I knew nothing about any of the players we've signed over this transfer window, but I cant see any difference from last season. Four games in and we just dont seem to have any game plan or cohesion to our play. I kept hearing on here that Colak had to leave because he didnt fit Beale's style. I wish I knew what that style was, 'cos I cant see it for the life of me.

I'm getting seriously worried for the season ahead. Especially if we go into it with the same defence in place. Every game its an absolute bombscare, The players we have there are simply not good enough.

It's time to focus on a settled first 11 and get them used to each other. We need to decide who is the person running the midfield. I thought this might be Raskin, but he played far too deep today didnt seem to want to hold the ball. Was that his or the manager's decision. If he isnt going to be the playmaker who is? Hagi? Cantwell? Time to give someone the responsibility and start building around them.

Finally what happened to Lawrence? Wasnt he due to make his come back? Or is this another 4week + 4week + 4week recovery periods?
Are you on glue? Lawrence played at the weekend? They will be easing him back after a year out

We’re guaranteed (at least) europa groups so wouldn’t have crashed out of Europe after 5 games regardless of performances.

It’s preseason, it’s about trying different things & getting minutes in legs.

I accept tonight was chronic & I’d be hoping to see better but as I said, it’s a pre-season friendly. That’s just the way I see it.

Sorry I worded that poorly. CL is our aim.

Im not bothered about the result tonight as it’s meaningless, more the decisions how to use our limited preseason. Barisic and McLaughlin in particular.

Can only hope there is something in the tired legs chat Beale had mentioned.

It's time to focus on a settled first 11 and get them used to each other. We need to decide who is the person running the midfield. I thought this might be Raskin, but he played far too deep today didnt seem to want to know. Was that hisa or the manager's decision. If he isnt going to be the playmaker who is? Hagi? Cantwell? Time to give someone the responsibility and start building around them.

Since when have Olympiacos ever been considered a mediocre European side? That's baffled me tbh. They've won the Greek League 44 times and are one of the richest clubs in Greece. It's not like we were facing Aris or some midtable Greek side.

As far as Lawrence is concerned, he was rested tonight and is still training. We were never going to rush him back and have him playing consistently. Not at this stage of his recovery.

I thought we weren’t great tonight but at no point did we have a full 1st 11 on did we?

Couple of cracking saves from their keeper and the games near enough even.

Olympiakos took their chances well in fairness. It was a fairly even game.
How often have we not taken our chances though, and why has the manager not giving his strongest 11 minutes to gel once at all in 3 games into pre-season. The fact Jon got minutes over Butland was an absolute joke.

With the spectacular and life changing evidence about UFO's I watched today in the US, I am now convinced that they have abducted some of the Rangers players tonight and replaced them with identical clones who think it's last season.

Hopefully Will Smith will be along shortly to get us our positive, exciting new team back. Still fully expecting we'll be ready and pumping for Killie.

Just on way home from game. I know it was a friendly but I’m a bit depressed after watching that. Lammers, Sima and Matondo only ones to get pass marks. Maybe Souttar.
Agree with you here exactly the same thinking.

Lammers and Sima exciting

Matondo needs to improve his finishing though!

How often have we not taken our chances though, and why has the manager not giving his strongest 11 minutes to gel once at all in 3 games into pre-season. The fact Jon got minutes over Butland was an absolute joke.
Don’t disagree with any of that mate. Only thing I can think is that they’re doing heavy sessions and unless we want to start seeing hamstrings go then it’s for the best?

I thought we weren’t great tonight but at no point did we have a full 1st 11 on did we?

Couple of cracking saves from their keeper and the games near enough even.

Olympiakos took their chances well in fairness. It was a fairly even game.
Was that the Olympiacos full 1st 11 then? I’m guessing you don’t know. The starting line up wasn’t far off our 1st 11 and it was dreadful. No amount of excuses will alter that. Let’s just hope it improves or we are in real trouble.

A shambles from kick off to the managers post match comments. Ridiculous to be in this position over a friendly, but that was a worrying performance.

It's confusing that Lundstram is getting so much time on the pitch. Every man and his dog can see he is a liability and always has been for the most part. If the manager thinks he's got a big part to play in the coming season, we are in trouble. It's frustrating that we persevere with duds like him.
I think it’s obvious that the Manager certainly thinks he has a part to play this season. Not a hill to die on for me.

Some amount of panty pissing on here, fair enough if we do not make CL or lose to the filth in September but in a pre season game ffs.

Not seen game tonight but have followed comments.

Sounds really dispiriting all round but with our defence all the same problems as seasons past persist.

So many goals we have lost over last few seasons, and still now, pre-season, has apparently seen several players in succession fail to do their job, where if any one of which had tracked their man, won a tackle, stopped a cross, made a block, clear their lines or the goalkeeper react faster, a goal would be prevented.

Seems so obvious, basically just do the the job they're paid to do, is that such a big ask of a defender?

Hopefully with Butland, a fit Goldson and a left side of defence not featuring Davies and Barasic we will be much better. One can least live in hope anyway.

Sorry I worded that poorly. CL is our aim.

Im not bothered about the result tonight as it’s meaningless, more the decisions how to use our limited preseason. Barisic and McLaughlin in particular.

Can only hope there is something in the tired legs chat Beale had mentioned.
No worries mate.

McLaughlin playing was a strange one. Not sure what the thinking is there. Barasic looks checked out. His race is run at Rangers. Time to go.

Hopefully we get Danilo & Cifuentes in and everything starts to click when we go to Kilmarnock.

Just back. Jeez I had to suffer the most negative guy for 90 minutes, who at our goal sat with arms folded and his mouth shut. Why people like that go I don't know.

As for tonight I come back very confused about what we are trying to do. Davies and Barasic are disasters waiting to happen. And playing Raskin that deep I've no idea.

However I guess we wait till the real stuff but there was practically nothing to feed off if I'm being honest.

Mhedia will have a field day with that (was going to say performance there ) showing..
It was far from great tonight, but if what the Record or the Sun have to say is what's bothering you, you'd be as well giving up just now as we could've played like 1970 Brazil & they'd still be less than complimentary.

A manager actually wanting his players to be heavy legged is a new one to me.

Likewise but after hearing that it would explain the performance.

That mob treated it like a CL qualifier, time wasting, diving and some really bad tackles and actually celebrated the goals like it meant something.

So we performed terribly because we've been doing loads of training.

Bodes well.

Explains the lack of intensity and the sluggishness of our movement.

Makes for horrendous viewing, but if it means we are able to run full pelt when the games start proper, I'll accept a few pishy friendly performances.

Doesn't excuse the lacklustre defending though.

On one hand, it's "just" pre-season and that excuses some of the shortcomings, the result doesn't matter etc.

But it's a very short road from the first pre-season game to Champions' League qualifiers and with us and the scum so dominant in the SPL, there's very little room for "warming up" in the league. I try to keep things in perspective, but it is concerning that there's so little to get excited by in these games and that we look so disjointed. Especially as we were saying exactly the same things this time last season about "minutes in legs," "levels to go" etc, then we barely turned up in the first leg against USG, and looked like we were in "pre-season" in the league consistently until Gio left.

No mate, I just think that the game overall was a bit stale by both teams.

They didn’t dominate us, we didn’t dominate them.

They took their chances and made some good saves.

Don’t forget that this is pre season where the players are getting hammered in training. They’re not going into games fresh like they would be during the season.
I have to laugh at this shite about heavy training. Is it only our players who are in training? The other teams are all lying on lilos by the pool are they?

Missed the game as had a golf match and just home …..sounds like I’ve not missed much

Are the “highlights” available anywhere or best not bother?

I have to laugh at this shite about heavy training. Is it only our players who are in training? The other teams are all lying on lilos by the pool are they?

Dunno what the other teams are doing, but it's not normal for teams to train heavily right up until the day before a game. They might be doing that, but I don't know.

Normally teams do light training in the days leading up to a match. According to Beale we've been doing intensive work, which isn't the norm usually.

Just remember guys, this time last year when you looked on here we were flying, we were going to win the league, Matondo was the second coming of Laudrup.

Pre season matters not a jot. The real work begins next weekend.
A point I’ve just made to my mate.

Saturday is the opportunity to start our strongest 11 which will feature at Killie and give them a good 60-70 minutes on the pitch.

If the preseason games mean nothing and nothing can be taken from them, why not just do what the likes of Bayern Munich do, and play an amateur side and annihilate them 23-0. Seems to do Bayern no real harm.

Was that the Olympiacos full 1st 11 then? I’m guessing you don’t know. The starting line up wasn’t far off our 1st 11 and it was dreadful. No amount of excuses will alter that. Let’s just hope it improves or we are in real trouble.
Not that it matters , but how do you know that wasn't far off our 1st 11 or are you just guessing . It's only a friendly ffs . The manager himself said the competition has been picked because of their quality . These teams are settled and half a dozen games ahead of us .

dont post much, my dream is to get into the other forums, thats ma goal, not totally commited to it in all honestly, learn, he needed to see

Back