RangersTv

I would think if you don't have a paid unlimited VPN you'll be knackered. Preferred being able to switch off and use my own bandwidth.

Same problem for me again today had VPN on constantly just not able to cast through Apple TV thought I had sorted it during the week with a private browser hopefully they will manage to sort this out

Try to remember that you’re not supposed to be able to watch live games on RTV while in the UK, so I doubt the RTV support staff will have much sway over the old player coming back.

Fine, they won’t get my £18 a month then

I have wasted too much money and expended too much time trying to see Rangers playing on RTV.

To the folks at RTV. Either solve YOUR problems or I’m onto free streams.

There are plenty out there. Believe me I want to use your service but it seems to be impossible.

Everyone with problems please email rtv@rangers.co.uk and ask for the old player back.

You are onto plumbs with that one mate. The reason we have the new player is because we changed provider as far as I'm aware. Its the same reason we now have an audio only feed available (which many have asked for in the past). I assume we had both for a while due to the 'changeover' period.

You are onto plumbs with that one mate. The reason we have the new player is because we changed provider as far as I'm aware. Its the same reason we now have an audio only feed available (which many have asked for in the past). I assume we had both for a while due to the 'changeover' period.

But we had the new player with the option of the old player for the 2 Legia games plus the filth.....so it clearly is available to them.

Actually I did haha.
Just have to hope the app they’re developing works with both Android & IOS. Wouldn’t surprise if it didn’t though.

Yeah, a few putting a lot of faith in the App solving some of their issues. I'm not overly confident - though it will undoubtedly be welcome.

I still think that, for the majority who have issues, the root cause will be the VPN. I know that's not the issue for you, where your main problem seems to centre on the ability cast to AppleTV, but it will be for many. Particularly now there seems to be a requirement to leave it on all the time - I suspect this may be where the less reliable VPNs are struggling.

I continue to have a pretty good experience with RangersTV. Had issues with the new player for the first few games and had to revert to the old player but it seems to have stabilised for me last weekend, midweek and today. And that applies whether I'm watching on iPad, laptop or desktop.

Wouldn’t cast to Apple TV for me but I did get the match for free! Clicked on St J match link expecting to enter my credit card details but took me straight to game. Win!

Yeah, a few putting a lot of faith in the App solving some of their issues. I'm not overly confident - though it will undoubtedly be welcome.

I still think that, for the majority who have issues, the root cause will be the VPN. I know that's not the issue for you, where your main problem seems to centre on the ability cast to AppleTV, but it will be for many. Particularly now there seems to be a requirement to leave it on all the time - I suspect this may be where the less reliable VPNs are struggling.

I continue to have a pretty good experience with RangersTV. Had issues with the new player for the first few games and had to revert to the old player but it seems to have stabilised for me last weekend, midweek and today. And that applies whether I'm watching on iPad, laptop or desktop.

Yeah I had game on iPad for a bit with VPN and it played fine with no buffering. Casting is my only issue

Today it played perfectly for me with the VPN OFF as usual (ie. the method we're used to, using the VPN only to load the page). Looks like last week was an issue with them setting it up, more than a long-term thing.

Today it played perfectly for me with the VPN OFF as usual (ie. the method we're used to, using the VPN only to load the page). Looks like last week was an issue with them setting it up, more than a long-term thing.

That's interesting - because its not what is generally being reported. I assume you are actually in the UK and not overseas?

Are you able to leave the VPN switched on? I recall that being an issue for several folk.
Since we were talking about it the other night. It worked fine for me when switched off on Firefox. It stuttered for a bit on Edge then went to infinite buffering. I know, I know, Edge is just what I've used for a while for streaming as for a little while it was the only browser that ran 1080 at one point. I've got all sites/passwords etc. stored on there. When I switched to Firefox it ran without a hitch.

Since we were talking about it the other night. It worked fine for me when switched off on Firefox. It stuttered for a bit on Edge then went to infinite buffering. I know, I know, Edge is just what I've used for a while for streaming as for a little while it was the only browser that ran 1080 at one point. I've got all sites/passwords etc. stored on there. When I switched to Firefox it ran without a hitch.

Again - that's interesting and goes some way to supporting what @blutos has said. I've always used Edge myself as well. Maybe the issue is the VPN/Edge combination. Though I can't think of any logic behind that. Why would the VPN need to be left on with Edge but not with Firefox? Need someone with more technical 'nous' than me to answer that one.

It may well be of benefit to some to try using Firefox if they have a need to turn off their VPN whilst streaming though.

@BWO might be one for you to try if it lets you turn off the VPN on your iPad it might help with your casting issues to AppleTV?

Again - that's interesting and goes some way to supporting what @blutos has said. I've always used Edge myself as well. Maybe the issue is the VPN/Edge combination. Though I can't think of any logic behind that. Why would the VPN need to be left on with Edge but not with Firefox? Need someone with more technical 'nous' than me to answer that one.

It may well be of benefit to some to try using Firefox if they have a need to turn off their VPN whilst streaming though.

@BWO might be one for you to try if it lets you turn off the VPN on your iPad it might help with your casting issues to AppleTV?
IIRC Edge basically uses Chromium with a skin over it. So Chrome may suffer the same issues. That's me exhausted my tech info regarding that kind of thing though. :))

Tried turning the VPN off, worked for about 20 secs before buffering infinitely.

Tried turning the VPN off, worked for about 20 secs before buffering infinitely.

I think there has been a change this year, turned VPN off the other week and got same. Leave it on now with no issues.

Todays stream was 1st class, the best I've seen it.

Using safari, RTV was hopeless first 5 mins then broke down again after 25 mins. Tried Edge on another laptop, not much better. Kept vpn on, no adblocks. Gave up at half time and watched on BT Sport, through same device, not a single problem. Its as if the RTV signal strength is weak. I had no probs last year. Something has changed and its not for the good. Its an annual sub they wont get off me next year, I'll just revert to the illegal streams, or BT if on there.

I signed up today for my first attempt at rtv with a vpn

I paid 8 quid for today's game set my nord vpn to Germany and used firefox on my 4k firestick

It played pretty well apart from the odd little bit of pixelation and judder, nothing too serious well worth the 8 quid

Using safari, RTV was hopeless first 5 mins then broke down again after 25 mins. Tried Edge on another laptop, not much better. Kept vpn on, no adblocks. Gave up at half time and watched on BT Sport, through same device, not a single problem. Its as if the RTV signal strength is weak. I had no probs last year. Something has changed and its not for the good. Its an annual sub they wont get off me next year, I'll just revert to the illegal streams, or BT if on there.

I use chrome and always change the setting from Auto to 1080p as well.

Safari. Tried it with Chrome on my iPad too and did the same

Yeah, but the guy I quoted had to leave the VPN on with Edge - but when he tried with Firefox he was able to maintain the stream with the VPN off. That’s what you want. It may be something peculiar to Firefox, I have no idea at all. He says it worked for him with the VPN off though. Up to you whether you try it with Firefox or not. I guess Wednesday will be the next opportunity.

Just managed to watch the 2nd half after trying to do so since the game finished.
I'm on laptop with opera browser with VPN on.
Happy bear .

Seen a few other clubs fans complaining about similar.

Have the SPFL instructed clubs to snuff out UK access to games by having a regular IP check during the stream instead of just at log on?

Seen a few other clubs fans complaining about similar.

Have the SPFL instructed clubs to snuff out UK access to games by having a regular IP check during the stream instead of just at log on?
If thats the case then they need to come clean and live without the subs. I doubt RTV is sustainable without the UK vpn income.

If thats the case then they need to come clean and live without the subs. I doubt RTV is sustainable without the UK vpn income.

This particular point is only an issue for those using free VPNs who have to turn them off during the stream due to download limits and, more importantly, those trying to cast to AppleTV - which won’t let you leave the VPN turned on. I’ve a paid for VPN, leave it on throughout the game and seldom have any issues whatsoever.

Yeah, but the guy I quoted had to leave the VPN on with Edge - but when he tried with Firefox he was able to maintain the stream with the VPN off. That’s what you want. It may be something peculiar to Firefox, I have no idea at all. He says it worked for him with the VPN off though. Up to you whether you try it with Firefox or not. I guess Wednesday will be the next opportunity.

Cool, I’ll give it a whirl on Wed night

Cool, I’ll give it a whirl on Wed night
Let us know how you get on. If I’m honest I’m sceptical it will work - but that’s what the earlier poster said he was able to do.
Just to be clear. Once I got the infinite buffering on Edge I just went straight to Firefox since that's what I did as soon as they removed the option for the old player, then it was due to the stuttering though. I went through the usual procedure with TunnelBear (selecting 1080 then switching off when the streams running) & didn't need to touch it again. I can't see it working for me if it's periodically checking IP's.

1 more point which may be important: You need to have the VPN running before starting up the browser app. Not just a new tab as the browser seems to log the region on startup. So if I have the browser already up then start the VPN, it'll show as region blocked.

Just to be clear. Once I got the infinite buffering on Edge I just went straight to Firefox since that's what I did as soon as they removed the option for the old player, then it was due to the stuttering though. I went through the usual procedure with TunnelBear (selecting 1080 then switching off when the streams running) & didn't need to touch it again. I can't see it working for me if it's periodically checking IP's.

1 more point which may be important: You need to have the VPN running before starting up the browser app. Not just a new tab as the browser seems to log the region on startup. So if I have the browser already up then start the VPN, it'll show as region blocked.

Thanks for clarifying mate. Others seem to lose the stream about 20 seconds after turning the VPN off (after starting the stream). So if you’ve stumbled on a method - or browser - that still lets you turn the VPN off after starting the stream it could be useful for those on download limited VPNs.

Thanks for the help. @BWO is going to give it a go on Wednesday.

Thanks for clarifying mate. Others seem to lose the stream about 20 seconds after turning the VPN off (after starting the stream). So if you’ve stumbled on a method - or browser - that still lets you turn the VPN off after starting the stream it could be useful for those on download limited VPNs.

Thanks for the help. @BWO is going to give it a go on Wednesday.
No worries. Like I said, I was at the ready to pull the trigger on a paid VPN myself (as per convo the other night) but when going to Firefox it wasn't necessary. I hope it stays that way & it's not just some loose end that they need to tie up for all browsers.

Opera working fine with my Mac and HDMI although in the first half the sound didn't transfer to the TV. Turned VPN off at half time to test and like others lasted about 20 seconds. Reloaded VPN, refreshed and worked fine for the 2nd half.

That's interesting - because its not what is generally being reported. I assume you are actually in the UK and not overseas?
Yeah, in the UK. Been using Unlimited + VPN for quite a few years, so have been through most of the changes to Rangers TV that have consistently made things worse for half the season, then gave us good coverage for the remaining half.

During the Livi game (when all the issues for UK users started) it was impossible to turn the VPN off at all, me included. Assumed it was just a new feature that checked the IP address periodically.

However, today I managed to run it successfully (on Chrome) with the VPN off, which was a bit of a surprise. This makes me think there is no recurring IP check happening, and that all of the issues everyone is suddenly experiencing, from VPN issues to Casting, are simply a result of the initial testing and implementation period for the new player happening NOW, instead of early summer when it should have been done. I think we're just all going to have to sit tight for another few games until it all irons itself out to be honest.

For now, for UK users:
VPN on all the time = Works for the majority on Firefox, Chrome and Opera, but you will need a paid VPN to handle the bandwidth.

Using VPN to load the page and then turning it off = Works for the minority, but has shown signs that it will be functional over the next month. Benefits of using a free VPN, and only using it long enough that it can't collect much of your data.

For anyone in the UK still having issues, if you have a subscription you can try your VPN to load normal RTV videos from the past. If it plays fine, the issue is probably not Rangers TV: a serious suggestion is to not have anything else open in the browser you're streaming from. The FF forum slows a browser down to snails pace and won't help things at all.

Yeah, in the UK. Been using Unlimited + VPN for quite a few years, so have been through most of the changes to Rangers TV that have consistently made things worse for half the season, then gave us good coverage for the remaining half.

During the Livi game (when all the issues for UK users started) it was impossible to turn the VPN off at all, me included. Assumed it was just a new feature that checked the IP address periodically.

However, today I managed to run it successfully (on Chrome) with the VPN off, which was a bit of a surprise. This makes me think there is no recurring IP check happening, and that all of the issues everyone is suddenly experiencing, from VPN issues to Casting, are simply a result of the initial testing and implementation period for the new player happening NOW, instead of early summer when it should have been done. I think we're just all going to have to sit tight for another few games until it all irons itself out to be honest.

For now, for UK users:
VPN on all the time = Works for the majority on Firefox, Chrome and Opera, but you will need a paid VPN to handle the bandwidth.

Using VPN to load the page and then turning it off = Works for the minority, but has shown signs that it will be functional over the next month. Benefits of using a free VPN, and only using it long enough that it can't collect much of your data.

For anyone in the UK still having issues, if you have a subscription you can try your VPN to load normal RTV videos from the past. If it plays fine, the issue is probably not Rangers TV: a serious suggestion is to not have anything else open in the browser you're streaming from. The FF forum slows a browser down to snails pace and won't help things at all.

Sound advice. Thank you.

Did you find a solution to this?

Can't seem to cast to Apple TV anymore?

I thought I had when I got another private browser it worked earlier in the week when I watched Rangers tv content through Apple TV no bother no buffering at all so I'm thinking it must be the live games hopefully find some other solution if I find one I'll post on here

Game played perfectly for me in good quality with the VPN switched off today - used Chrome on Macbook pro with windscribe as the VPN.

Game wouldn't stop buffering for my dad however, who was watching in the same house as me and eventually had to resort to a dodgy stream.

The new player is definitely causing a lot of issues, but it's impossible to pinpoint exactly what they are as his setup was almost identical to mine and we just couldn't get it to play without buffering.

We tried the usual tricks like lowering picture quality, keeping VPN switched on, disabling adblockers etc. and none of it seemed to make any difference for him.

Back