Match Thread Rapid Wien v Rangers - 17:55 Thursday - BT Sports

Gutted we got so close to getting through but would have taken being in the group stages at start of the season. Much improvement from last year. Onwards and upwards.

Reactions: ao2
Why would we be happy?
That said, why shouldn’t we take the positives?
Do you expect to get this far?

After the first 3 games we have chucked this group away.

You can’t take 1 point from 6 against the bottom of the group and expect to do anything.

So no I’m not in the mood right now to reflect on the positives.

Being brutally honest we have no creativity in the middle of the park and are far too careless when we do have the ball.

We have punched above our weight this season in Europe but we all know we lack quality in certain areas and when the chips are down that's what comes back to haunt you.

Let's hope we make as much progress in the next six months as we have in the six months since Gerrard took over.
We,'ve had that problem for a while a lack of creative midfield.

An unusual mistake by Gerrard but I still feel Gerrard lets us down with his management. He just never takes advantage when he can.

This is not about where we are in the season. It's about the simple games we keep fucking up when we don't need to.

This is another. We fucked this game pure and simple. Not because the manager or team need time but purely down to bad decisions.
Okay Pep, enthrall us with your words of wisdom.

It's been an amazing unexpected run, we got a good bit of money in. Now focus on the league

Exactly still punching well above our weight and unfortunately fell short.

I think SG will take heart from this ……and hopefully after a good January break come back reengergized ...many of these players just not good enough to go further in Europe.……and with us out of Europe it may now be interesting to see what happens now with Morelos.

Not good enough on the night.
Needed a big performance and got an ok/average/good performance.

One goal in three games

Two losses to poor teams and a draw against the team rooted to the bottom of the table.

Out of Europe when we should have been through after 4/6 games.

I can't put a positive spin on this, we are dire at the moment.

Cannot blame one player on this loss. Shaggers kicking is atrocious but he kept us in this tournament in other games. Time to concentrate on the domestic front and build on what we have for the league campaign. Good while it lasted but a strength sapper over the last few months.

Yip, that's us as usual. Start the group like a train, then contrive to f#ck it up yet again.. Why do Rangers never turn up for big games? This Vienna team are f#cking shite. Wè'really useless, flatter to deceiving bastards. Clear that shower of shite out next month, Gerrard, or these cowards'll get you the sack.
Cue hysterical pish when the result goes against us!

It's not just this match though, is it?
I don't disagree people being pissed at the last two domestic matches. I am too.

However in terms of Europe, it's annoying we could've done better but for people to hit out with we are shite and patehricis utterly ludicrous. They have done well, we didn't carry luck at times and we made mistakes. I'm proud of what we did all things considered.

I didn’t expect us to qualify when we got to the group stages but none of the teams outclassed us so we are definitely improving. However we really lack a player with bit of magic to create something and dig out a result when it’s tight.

What bad decisions? We were controlling the game until the substitutions and the need to push further forward.

Our squad is limited in quality.
I don't think it's used properly. We need to be changing things around during the game when things aren't working and that simply does not happen. It doesn't need to be a sub, just moving players about. I see none of that in most of our games. We put ourselves in good positions then just become so obvious it's not right. Most of our opponents only need to see the team sheet to know how to counter it. Using static tactics throughout a game doesn't work. The player management during the game is poor and the subs are in all fairness usually poor as well (poor timing or poor option) and have little if any impact.

We should have beaten this team today.

All just a bit predictable as the lack of any real quality in our squad has been evident for most of the season.

The squad needs huge investment, I don't think there's any getting away from that.

Whether that's at all on the cards is another thing altogether.

We really need to get this season back on track soon. We've had possession tonight but did very little with it. I like Middleton but it's the same high balls all the time. He is still one of our best players tonight, the only one who looked to do something.

We are struggling to create anything.

I was on such a high less than a fortnight ago now we are one bad result away from our session being over.

IMHO we need a complete change of tactics.

For me Coulibaly can book a ticket home in January. McCrorie is better but can't seem to get the chances Coulibaly gets.

we have had 6 games and as it stands we have won 1,lets be honest Vienna and Moscow are relatively poor outfits, so im not sure we can take a great deal comfort from the group stage games,, any reasonably composed and creative team could have won those 4 games ,worrying for us is, our lack of even getting close to breaking down teams in recent weeks,

Back