MOTM Poll Real Betis v Rangers - 20:00 Thursday - TNT Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here is McGill's report below:- What part to you appears to be a bitter piece of shite, cos I don't see it...

Resilient Rangers prevailed in an absorbing Europa League thriller with Real Betis to top the group and progress to the competition's last 16.

The Scottish Premiership side thundered into the lead thanks to a belting finish from Abdallah Sima, before Juan Miranda's arrowed strike almost immediately restored parity for the Spanish hosts.

After withstanding severe pressure in Seville, Cyriel Dessers came alive to restore the visitors' lead, but another equaliser from Ayoze Perez capped an incredible first half.

With Sparta Prague strolling to victory against Aris Limassol, Philippe Clement knew his side needed a winner, which came with 12 minutes left as substitute Kemar Roofe forced the ball home to spark celebratory scenes.

The cauldron of the Estadio Benito Villamarin could easily have daunted a Rangers side that knew victory was a likely necessity, but the bold visitors cut through the noise in an instant to strike first.

Sima has shown ruthlessness like no other player in blue this season, and did so again by thumping the ball out of the path of a flailing Dessers to send the travelling support wild.

Their celebrations would be curtailed in stunning fashion, though, as Betis immediately reminded Rangers of their quality when Miranda's lashed finished threatened to burst the side-netting.

Now, Rangers were rattled. Ben Davies had to block bravely before Jack Butland was called into action with two stunning saves - the second of which tipped Andres Guardado's thunderbolt crashing onto the crossbar.

Just as it looked as if Clement's side were becoming swamped, two of their struggling signings combined to push against the pressure.

Jose Cifuentes' outrageous reverse pass found Dessers, who still had so much to do. The forward who has frustrated Rangers fans skipped past two Betis bodies and rolled the ball through the legs of Rui Silva.

The hosts would soon retort in style again. Isco, who has been rejuvenated to his gracious best, danced on the edge of the box before feeding Perez. One gorgeous sweep of a boot later and this game of madness was once again level.

The second half started with another whack of the woodwork as Assane Diao rose at a corner to bounce one off the bar.

Once the imposing stadium had been silenced when VAR prevented Betis from taking the lead for the first time, there was a sense that Rangers would have one more chance to save their status in the competition.

It was far from pretty, but Rabbi Matondo's fresh air swing allowed the ball to roll towards Roofe, who was in the right place at right time to rubberstamp Rangers' ticket to the last 16."

Pretty standard report of a football match conveying the to-and-fro of the match, much as I saw it.
I read it and it seemed fine to me as well

I am happy with him at right back.

Integral part of the best defense in the league, regularly contributed with goals and assists. Captain of our club. Respected by his team mates and I make that 4 managers now who think he's deserving of the captaincy.

Also 7th highest scoring defender of all time in world football.

Why wouldn't we be happy with that?
I won't go into all the historical details, but you must admit, when Betis were piling forward at 2-1 and it was obvious our right-back didn't realize there was a player behind him in bags of space, you probably weren't thinking, at least that guy not marking him is good at penalties. :D

Sterling coming on at half time was a brilliant tactical decision- he plugged the gaps and broke down attacks that allowed us to get up the park on numerous occasions- a game changer for me and he just shades it from Lundstrum who put in a great shift

Sterling coming on at half time was a brilliant tactical decision- he plugged the gaps and broke down attacks that allowed us to get up the park on numerous occasions- a game changer for me and he just shades it from Lundstrum who put in a great shift
It wasn’t tactical. Cifuentes had a muscle injury.

I won't go into all the historical details, but you must admit, when Betis were piling forward at 2-1 and it was obvious our right-back didn't realize there was a player behind him in bags of space, you probably weren't thinking, at least that guy not marking him is good at penalties. :D
McInnes when asked about Tavernier's position at the second, he wasn't too far inside as he came inside to mark number 9.
Coming from a defensive coach i'll go with him, not members of The Fray Bentos Loyal.B-D

If we're considering a permanent deal for Sima we need to do it quickly. His value is increasing game by game.

Agree, cant believe the difference in him, he genuinely couldn't trap a bag of cement in the Motherwell game at home but he's indespensible now, you'd spend a good whack on keeping him now!

Mental game and result. The emotions were off the charts. Nearly had a stroke when Matondo and Sima point blank refused to take the ball for a walk into the corner late on.

It's probably already been mentioned somewhere but that must be the first time ever the team that finished top of the group only took 1 point off the pot 4 team who finished bottom. Couldn't make that up!

The header they had at the end caused more panic than it should have.

Noticed on Saturday but more so tonight that Sterling has unbelievable energy. He’ll need it for Sunday.

Just back in the hotel after that. Up there with rangers best ever results in europe and with a squad absolutely decimated with injuries. Big Phil is doing some job. Lundstram outstanding again. A few happy happy bears about tonight in Seville! Vamos!!

Cant believe im still seeing players taking stick

Aside from Ben Davies first 45 everyone had a fine evening and played their part

A huge congratulations to all at The Rangers, management, players and fans. I can not say I enjoyed the game due to all was at stake. I will watch again tomorrow in the knowledge we are through.

On a night like tonight there should be full team option .voted for dessers as I thought he led line well but couldn’t argue against any player getting the vote .

Was out this evening and missed the match but was determined to watch it from start to finish when I got home after reading the great reports, and I wasn’t disappointed. Rangers were sensational tonight. That’s a big result. Philip Clement seems to be getting a turn out of these players. I think there’s a good chance that we’ll win the cup on Sunday. We have good momentum. Bring it on.

Incredible result. Thought we might draw, but to pull off a win with all the injuries we have was top notch. We beat a team that would have put our green neighbours to the sword home and away, so no fears for the 30th! And I knew instantly the whistle went I said to the mrs that it was probably the first time we won on Spanish soil in a European competition.

To top the group after Aris draw at Ibrox is beyond expectations. Clement has pulled off a mini-miracle. I like his attitude that we need to maintain a winning mentality for every game. This in turn breeds success and makes the players grow in stature!

it's now the morning after the night before , and I'm still absolutely thrilled with what our team achieved against the odds last night, as the song goes "There"s not a team like the Glasgow Rangers, no not one"

Some 50 years ago , our biggest european night and historic win was on spanish soil. Just not against spanish opposition.
That is why I qualified it with ’in a European competition’. Perhaps I should have made it abundantly clear that it was against Spanish opposition. But you get the drift. And our win in Barcelona is etched in the mind. A magnificent success, and when one considers the teams we had to beat back then it makes the win even better.

Last edited:
Still trying to come down from last night.

What gets me is how a sqaud of players who can take you to the slough of despondency againt dolly and Limmasol can raise you to the heights like last night?

A win on Sunday and the rest of the month and it really is game on.

All credit to the players where it is due.

The whole squad has to be bubbling for Sunday, and treat utter sh1te with the contempt they deserve.

Incredible result. Thought we might draw, but to pull off a win with all the injuries we have was top notch. We beat a team that would have put our green neighbours to the sword home and away, so no fears for the 30th! And I knew instantly the whistle went I said to the mrs that it was probably the first time we won on Spanish soil in a European competition.

To top the group after Aris draw at Ibrox is beyond expectations. Clement has pulled off a mini-miracle. I like his attitude that we need to maintain a winning mentality for every game. This in turn breeds success and makes the players grow in stature!
Apart from a wee game in Barcelona 1972 :))

The header they had at the end caused more panic than it should have.

Noticed on Saturday but more so tonight that Sterling has unbelievable energy. He’ll need it for Sunday.
I know even he says he’s a fullback but I think with Clement’s guidance he could be an all action box to box midfield player for us no problem at all.

Back