Ronaldo CR7

Papac

Messi would have been the daddy in any league in the world
I like the argument that playing in 3 leagues swings it. Once you've proven yourself to be too good for the Premier League, you basically move to Spain as Ronaldo, Bale, Suarez, Hazard, Henry and probably countless others have shown. The best players in the world played in Italy from the 90s onwards and in Spain from around the mid 2000s. The Premier League might one day reach that level but it hasn't yet.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Being a good player in a stronger team in a weaker league makes you better than someone else.

I suppose you can call it logic.
7 championships in a row is where they were when he joined. Winning in that team is hardly a test is it? The test was the CL but they’ve done worse there since he arrived.

Frank Burnside

36 in February and easily the best player in one of the "Big 4" leagues, definitely a top 5 player of all time for me. Although 39 year old Zlatan is probably the 2nd best in Italy so maybe that says more about Serie A.

DoubleWhopper

Official Ticketer
I find it difficult to get worked up about if either way to be honest.

I think they’ll both end up without league titles this year and that’s a good thing

rangersno.1

So because he went to Juventus that somehow proves he has something over Messi?

Curious logic.

No because he’s done in arguably the top 3 leagues in the world and at international level, messi has done it at Barcelona and that’s it meanwhile ronaldo looks like he will continue to play at the top level for a few more years yet messi won’t play as long as ronaldo at the top level.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
No because he’s done in arguably the top 3 leagues in the world and at international level, messi has done it at Barcelona and that’s it meanwhile ronaldo looks like he will continue to play at the top level for a few more years yet messi won’t play as long as ronaldo at the top level.

whats Ronaldo done at international level that Messi hasn’t? Stand on the touchline and watch his pals win a final without him?

Madjid Moments

Messi is great. But he's done it at 1 club and flopped at international football. He should have pushed himself to see if he could do it out of his Catalan comfort zone.
I was going to post the same thing.

In his homeland Messi isn’t all that because he hadn’t done it at international level.

People will say that Ronaldo has gone to clubs who were strong but still done it in different leagues and international level too.

The Dude

I was going to post the same thing.

In his homeland Messi isn’t all that because he hadn’t done it at international level.

People will say that Ronaldo has gone to clubs who were strong but still done it in different leagues and international level too.
Has he though (at least to any greater degree than Messi? He scored one goal more than Robbie Brady at the Euros.

iain18(7)2

always makes me laugh when the messi fanboys try to downplay his euros win because he got injured in the final. apparently it only counts towards your trophy count if you score or assist the goal yourself. It would be a different story if higuain had scored that one on one in the world cup final mind you, that would have been messi’s crowing glory and no debate from them.

Papac

455 league goals in 555 games across three different leagues.

102 international goals.

Try comparing the list of teams Messi scored against and numbers to Ronaldo.

I think Messi would be over 100 too if he played Suriname and Guiana 2 or 3 times a year.

Papac

always makes me laugh when the messi fanboys try to downplay his euros win because he got injured in the final. apparently it only counts towards your trophy count if you score or assist the goal yourself. It would be a different story if higuain had scored that one on one in the world cup final mind you, that would have been messi’s crowing glory and no debate from them.
Stephane Guivarch won the World Cup and neither of them managed it.

Let's get another contender in the mix.

KGer1872

the 2nd Ronny has to 'work hard' to be where he is, Messi just gets outta bed in the morning for it.
This.

I'd say that without Messi, you don't get anywhere near the same level of Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has a desire to be the best. He works unbelievably hard to achieve this.

Messi is an unbelievable natural talent head and shoulders above his contemporaries.

The work Ronaldo has had to put in to get to the level where there is actually a debate about who is the best is amazing.

But I don't think he'd have pushed himself to the level he has if Messi wasn't there to set the bar at that level.

The Dude

You'd think from Ronaldo's fans he singlehandedly won the Euro's despite only scoring in games against the might of Wales and Hungary.

hammer17

Official Ticketer
strange the views of many after Barca lose

there was a recent FF poll of the greatest of all time

Messi got 33%
Maradona got 27%
R7 got 19%

of over 1000 votes

not even second best never mind the GOAT

Madjid Moments

Has he though (at least to any greater degree than Messi? He scored one goal more than Robbie Brady at the Euros.
Why the focus on the euros?

He’s scored 102 goals in 170 internationals. Important goals that got them in a position to win a major competition, through qualification etc.

Messi has 71 goals in 142 and won an Olympic gold medal.

Papac

You'd think from Ronaldo's fans he singlehandedly won the Euro's despite only scoring in games against the might of Wales and Hungary.
I think it's proof that any team can fluke their way to an international trophy if anything. From memory they only 'won' a single game and it was against Wales in extra time.

The Dude

Why the focus on the euros?

He’s scored 102 goals in 170 internationals. Important goals that got them in a position to win a major competition, through qualification etc.

Messi has 71 goals in 142 and won an Olympic gold medal.
Scoring against farmers, plumbers and teachers. Seriously, look at how his goals are spread for Portugal:
7 v lithuania, 7 v sweden, 6 v Andorra, 5 v Armenia, 5 v Latvia, 5 v Luxembourg

ssblue

Love these threads as they coax out the usual suspects.

Messi has the most natural ability of anyone to play the game.

Only Diego comes close. Very close.

It is not all about natural ability though.

If I have the choice of any player at their peak CR7 is my choice.

IMO Messi, Diego and CR7 are the best 3 of all time.

In whatever order you like.

The big 2 are still the best 2 in the world with a combined age of 68.

The Dude

I think it's proof that any team can fluke their way to an international trophy if anything. From memory they only 'won' a single game and it was against Wales in extra time.
Aye, definitely wasnt a Portugal team that you watched and were particularly entertained by.

change consent