Ronaldo CR7

Wazza

You'd think from Ronaldo's fans he singlehandedly won the Euro's despite only scoring in games against the might of Wales and Hungary.
Not really. His role in the goal against Croatia was a big factor. Boring debate now, always gets petty.

Madjid Moments

Scoring against farmers, plumbers and teachers. Seriously, look at how his goals are spread for Portugal:
7 v lithuania, 7 v sweden, 6 v Andorra, 5 v Armenia, 5 v Latvia, 5 v Luxembourg
And Messi has only scored against the elite?
Any player can only score against what is in front of them. A goal again Germany or against Latvia is still of the same value.

The Dude

And Messi has only scored against the elite?
Any player can only score against what is in front of them. A goal again Germany or against Latvia is still of the same value.
Not only against the elite but the majority of his goals have come against tougher opposition

5 v Brazil
5 v Ecuador
5 v Paraguay
5 v Uruguay

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Not really. His role in the goal against Croatia was a big factor. Boring debate now, always gets petty.

Yeah it was, he fluffed a golden chance from 6 yards out and was lucky it fell for a team mate, a moment of genius people will still be talking about in 20 years time :D

Desperate stuff right up there with “he motivated his team mates from the touchline and that made them win the final”.

Wazza

Absolutely, it does massively help. Certainly isn't a tournament win you can say Ronaldo carried Portugal to.
Crucial part played deep in to extra time v Croatia for the goal, easy to watch again on YouTube if you never watched it at the time.

Wazza

Yeah it was, he fluffed a golden chance from 6 yards out and was lucky it fell for a team mate, a moment of genius people will still be talking about in 20 years time :D

Desperate stuff right up there with “he motivated his team mates from the touchline and that made them win the final”.
Again he resorts to making things up, never changes.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Not only against the elite but the majority of his goals have come against tougher opposition

5 v Brazil
5 v Ecuador
5 v Paraguay
5 v Uruguay

Anyone who knows football knows the CONMBEOL qualifiers are by far the hardest in the world and a damn sight tougher than the Euro qualifiers. Lots of tricky teams, you have to play at altitude, extensive travelling involved, and you don’t get the luxury of bullying amateur level sides like Luxembourg, Andorra, Estonia, Faroe Islands and San Marino.

The Dude

Ecuador and Paraguay are giants of the game.
In comparison to Andorra and Luxembourg? Positively goliath.

Ecuador scudded Colombia 6-1 a few day ago
Have Andorra or Luxembourg even scored six goals in a calendar year?

The Dude

Given it meant they went through I would say it does yes. Didn’t fancy them at all on pens, looked shot to bits.
I'm sure if I had the inclination, I could probably pick several other moments you could credit as equally important in that game.

ssblue

In comparison to Andorra and Luxembourg? Positively goliath.

Ecuador scudded Colombia 6-1 a few day ago
Have Andorra or Luxembourg even scored six goals in a calendar year?
So you ignore all of the GOAT'S goals against good teams?

Drug free too.

Wazza

I'm sure if I had the inclination, I could probably pick several other moments you could credit as equally important in that game.
Don’t do that, just say what you’ve been saying non stop - some crap about goals v Hungary and Wales!

The Dude

So you are discriminating against Ronaldo because he is European?

Stats don’t lie. Ronald scores more,
Better mins per goal, better mins per assist.
That's true. Better goals per minute etc. Easier when you're playing against a much weaker level of opposition.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
So you are discriminating against Ronaldo because he is European?

Stats don’t lie. Ronald scores more,
Better mins per goal, better mins per assist.

Stats don’t lie, Lawrence Shankland had a better goals per game ratio than Morelos last season, obviously a better striker.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
You’re a bigger wind up than me

Where’s the wind up? He’s going to come back and say “yeah but he was playing in the championship against dross” whilst continuing to ignore the fact that Messi doesn’t get to play teams of the quality (or lack thereof) of Luxembourg, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Latvia, Estonia, San Marino etc in his qualifiers.

If you want to just whittle it down to stats with no context then my Shankland/Morelos comparison is every bit as valid. I mean really we all know it’s bollocks, but by Wazza’s rules it’s perfectly fine.

Jjbscotty

I really wish higuain buried one of they chances in the WC final so we wouldn’t have to put up with this tedious debate on who’s the better player.

change consent