Ross McCausland to start for De Graafschap

I think if Rangers and Gio have genuine hopes for certain development players but dont expect them to see first team action, Id rather they went to somewhere like this than other Scottish Clubs.

Aside from the experience broadening them generally its a safe bet the levels of Coaching and opposition are far superior. Even in the 2nd tier or similar.

Very skilful player. Actually looks much more suited to Dutch football than Scottish football. I think he will do well there.
Agreed. Lots of skill, lots of pace. Can be a bit of a headless chicken at times but when he's 'on it' he is really effective. Could be one who develops that wee bit later than his contemporaries. Hopefully the spell in The Netherlands benefits him (and us).

Was told by a someone who knows the family a couple of weeks back that he would be going to Holland on loan this year. Looks likely now.

I think if Rangers and Gio have genuine hopes for certain development players but dont expect them to see first team action, Id rather they went to somewhere like this than other Scottish Clubs.

Aside from the experience broadening them generally its a safe bet the levels of Coaching and opposition are far superior. Even in the 2nd tier or similar.
I’d rather they played for Premiership clubs to help us out but if not then agree on going abroad. Aside from different coaching, it also forces them to grow up as a person by having to live away from home etc.

Good article in the athletic today about Southampton’s link up with Ross County talking about similar. They think moving up to Dingwall is better than lower leagues in England because of the culture shock etc

Agreed. I think Middleton not going abroad was the turning point of his career. He looked promising when we first got him and I think Gerrard liked him. But that lack of ambition clearly put Gerrard off him for good.

Any technically gifted player we have I'd be sending to Germany and Holland if given the chance. The coaching alone would make all the difference. These Dundee/Thistle ones I'm not a fan of.
Loans to Scottish clubs seems to be a sticking point in their careers. Would love to know why so many struggle on loan.

Agreed. I think Middleton not going abroad was the turning point of his career. He looked promising when we first got him and I think Gerrard liked him. But that lack of ambition clearly put Gerrard off him for good.
I still think Middleton will make good.;)
Gerrard did him a disservice.

Any technically gifted player we have I'd be sending to Germany and Holland if given the chance. The coaching alone would make all the difference. These Dundee/Thistle ones I'm not a fan of.
Thistle one is to get the lad used to the physical side, Dutch to get that lad more time on the technical side. Love that are finally using a better approach

Would be a great move for the boy - hope this is the way forward for the B team players

The Scottish Premiership is the ninth ranked league in Europe. The Eerste Divisie would be lucky to crack the top fifty. It's full of B teams that barely draw a couple of hundred people.
Yet it's those same B teams that produce the players that make Dutch teams successful.

It's not the league, it's the football education on offer by going to that league. What did Middleton learn by staying in the SPFL? How to watch the ball punted over his head? How to get up after yet another industrial challenge?

Edit: isn't the Scottish league only ranked 9th because of how we've performed in Europe over the last 4 years?

Last edited:
Yet it's those same B teams that produce the players that make Dutch teams successful.

It's not the league, it's the football education on offer by going to that league. What did Middleton learn by staying in the SPFL? How to watch the ball punted over his head? How to get up after yet another industrial challenge?
To be fair, I struggle to be overly critical of a 19 year old who might not be comfortable moving abroad for a year. I certainly couldn’t do it.

Especially considering he’d only moved to Scotland 18 months earlier.

Right, but that's very little to do with the B teams producing the players, and much more to do with them going straight into the first team once they're physically ready.

Middleton almost certainly learned more at St Johnstone, playing a much higher standard of football than he'd find in the Eerste Divisie. The two levels are not comparable in any way.

Middleton's problem isn't that he turned the move down. The problem is that he isn't very good and can't cross the ball.

Right, but that's very little to do with the B teams producing the players, and much more to do with them going straight into the first team once they're physically ready.

Middleton almost certainly learned more at St Johnstone, playing a much higher standard of football than he'd find in the Eerste Divisie. The two levels are not comparable in any way.

Middleton's problem isn't that he turned the move down. The problem is that he isn't very good and can't cross the ball.
Not sure I can agree with any of this.
Apart from not being comparable.

Would be a great move for the boy - hope this is the way forward for the B team players
Craig mulholland said it would depend on what is best for player and what is better for there development and future. Its about the individual and what is best for there football future either with us or moving forward

The St Johnstone loan is irrelevant here. He turned down the move to NAC Breda and joined Hibs instead. How did that work out for him?

Was a waste of a season.

The St Johnstone loan is irrelevant here. He turned down the move to NAC Breda and joined Hibs instead. How did that work out for him?

Was a waste of a season.
That just furthers my point. Hibs would absolutely skelp NAC Breda and every other team in the Eerste Divisie with ease. They'd be champions of that league by about 400 points.

The reason Middleton didn't work out isn't because he turned down one loan move in favour of one at a much higher level. It's because he isn't very good.

The St Johnstone move isn’t what we are discussing.

He went to Hibs over the Netherlands and made 8 appearances, started about 5 games. Do you think that move was good for him?

That just furthers my point. Hibs would absolutely skelp NAC Breda and every other team in the Eerste Divisie with ease. They'd be champions of that league by about 400 points.

The reason Middleton didn't work out isn't because he turned down one loan move in favour of one at a much higher level. It's because he isn't very good.
Doesn’t further your point at all.

Shows he made the wrong choice. He should have went to the club his manager wanted him to go to, and I’d hazard a guess and say he knows a lot more a lot more about these things than you.

He could have experienced a different type of football which may have improved him as a player. Instead he wasted a season at Hibs and Doncaster. His career has stagnated since.

He’s definitely not good enough for us right now.

His career with us under Gerrard ended the minute he went against that move to Holland that Gerrard publicly spoke about saying how good it would have been for him. He went to Hibs instead and the minute Jack Ross came in didn't play then went to Bradford and didn't do anything there.

Your last sentence is probably right but he does well for Scotland u21s so the talent is there with him.

I still think Middleton will make good.;)
Gerrard did him a disservice.
I don’t think he looked interested or particularly fit in his cameo yesterday.
I don’t like saying that and I hope you are right
But he is well down the pecking order.

Reactions: TPP
Back