Ross McCrorie

Thought he was excellent.

Jack and McCrorie proved to be effective. Coulibally - %^*& me, his ball rentention is atrocious. Like a man down when he’s on the ball.
All of them were pretty hopeless ball rentention wise. Especially Barisic and Middleton in that first half they could never find each other 4 yards apart.

Thought he did well. Thought the whole team were pretty slack in possession and gifted the ball away far to easily, just as well they were as bad as us. Need to keep the ball much better. Disappointed.

I've seen him get stick for tonight's performance in some quarters but i thought he read the game extremely well and used his pace to cover in the fullback areas multiple times.

I'd like to see more of him as i like the energy and tenacity he plays with.

Ross made his debut last season; Morelos was a prospect at the start of last season; Middleton has made a start to his Rangers career this season; Robbie McCrorie was on the bench this evening. That's players just out of their teens and one still a teenager involved in a meaningful European encounter. From the perspective of these players and the young players who could come through later, such as Dallas and Kelly, the future of this club hasn't been brighter for many a year.

Last edited:
I couldn't see what he done wrong tonight to stop him getting back in amongst the mix, when the team is getting picked for the weekend game, I thought he was ok tonight.

He will become a good player

He did well considering how long he`s been out, but he was caught napping at their goal, although I had commented 15 minutes earlier that I thought he was tiring.

I would love to see him play at the back with Goldson. He has all of the attributes to be a top class centre half. Seems we are letting 2 poor performances next to Russell Martin and against the best forwasrds in the league define his ability in what I think is his more natural position. Not sure he has the positional intelligence or speed when it comes to using the ball / opening his body to be a top midfield player.

Never a midfielder , getting shoehorned into a position simply because he’s not ready to play regular at CB or FB

All of them were pretty hopeless ball rentention wise. Especially Barisic and Middleton in that first half they could never find each other 4 yards apart.

How many minutes have Glen and Borno played together? I do wonder about folks take on reality o_O

A big honest trier but nowhere near a defensive midfielder,Doesn't get on the ball or set the tempo ,and badly at fault for the goal,no reaction to the give and go till it was too late.

How many minutes has he played this season? How good was he last season with game time ? Shortmemoryitus strikes again :eek:

I couldn't see what he done wrong tonight to stop him getting back in amongst the mix, when the team is getting picked for the weekend game, I thought he was ok tonight.

He will become a good player

He is a good player and will only get better and better :D

Personally I prefer him to Jack, coulibaly and Ejaria but he needs the right players beside, we lack any balance in midfield

I like Ross & he has a lot of attributes - and unlike some the jersey doesn’t weigh too heavily on him.

He played well last night, covering & breaking up as was his job. Unfortunately he was ball watching at the goal & it cost us dearly.

I don’t think he has the physical presence to play at centre back but he’s a good dm & I also think he would make good right back.

We had a spell last season when we got a few good results against Hearts and Aberdeen where Jack played a little further forward.
With McCrorrie in front of the defence it allows Jack to close down the opposition 10 to 15 yards further up the park.
If only the rest of the team would get back to that high tempo high press we had at the start of the season.

Mccrorie can hardly be blamed for the goal - credit to the pass from the Vienna player, after McGregor had a bad kick they had a really good interchange people blaming mccrorie in the 84th minute for not intercepting an excellent weighted pass need to review it.

Thought he done well last night and done a good job protecting the back 4. He was at fault for the goal by not following the run but he looked knackered which is understandable for someone that hasn't played much football for 3 months.

He has to play ahead of Coulibaly now he is bringing nothing to the team.

Only thing "wrong" with McCrorie's game last night was match fitness, which led him to switch off at the end. He should be in the team ahead of Coulibaly
I agree with you about McCrorie, but I am of the opinion that you and a great many Rangers fans give unjust criticism of Coulibaly, who is a far better player than he's given credit for. Coulibaly, like all our midfielders, plays better with Arfield in the team; give them added quality here and there and the performances of our midfield will improve.

I agree with you about McCrorie, but I am of the opinion that you and a great many Rangers fans give unjust criticism of Coulibaly, who is a far better player than he's given credit for. Coulibaly, like all our midfielders, plays better with Arfield in the team; give them added quality here and there and the performances of our midfield will improve.
I said McCrorie should be in instead of Coulibaly for two reasons. He is a better player and he is our player. We needed bodies in at start of the season and Coulibaly is literally just that, a body, he offers little and isn't our player so I'd rather concentrate longer term and get our players match fit and good to go. Arfield is the main man but think we all know we need better in midfield generally

I said McCrorie should be in instead of Coulibaly for two reasons. He is a better player and he is our player. We needed bodies in at start of the season and Coulibaly is literally just that, a body, he offers little and isn't our player so I'd rather concentrate longer term and get our players match fit and good to go. Arfield is the main man but think we all know we need better in midfield generally
Your final point is implicitly naive- if we add to our midfield it will be to compliment what is there already; the days of a best eleven are well over. Last night someone on here even suggested that when the manager stated, after the match, that we needed better McCrorie would take that as an insult; no he wouldn't, because Davis, for instance, would improve McCrorie. Had Coulibaly been as bad as you suggest then we would have lost that game by more, and before Arfield's suspension he was finding his form again.

I don’t think that it was ‘his hesitation’ but more the fact that he was blowing out his arse at 84 minutes considering he hasn’t completed 90 minutes for us this season.

McCrorie didn’t play badly but should have been off @ 60 minutes instead of Ryan Jack who kept our shape well. A baffling substitution by Gerrard imo.

Jack was walking a tightrope, had been booked and comitted a few fouls. I think this was the reason for his substitution rather than his performance - pretty certain he would have stayed on the park otherwise.

Your final point is implicitly naive- if we add to our midfield it will be to compliment what is there already; the days of a best eleven are well over. Last night someone on here even suggested that when the manager stated, after the match, that we needed better McCrorie would take that as an insult; no he wouldn't, because Davis, for instance, would improve McCrorie. Had Coulibaly been as bad as you suggest then we would have lost that game by more, and before Arfield's suspension he was finding his form again.
My final point was that Arfield was the main man in midfield , he is. I stand by everything I said about Coulibaly. He isn't our player and is not playing well. I never said anything at all about a best eleven and have said in previous posts that it is a squad game.

I think the lack of tracking will be down to the fact he was fucked.

Pitch was a bog, he hadn’t played 90 for god knows know how long.

I suspect we’d have taken him off if Jack wasn’t on a yellow.

Definite positive with him and Jack last night, especially 1st half, seemed to be in the right place to break up play and cover.
Moving forward in Scotland you don’t need McCrorie & Jack in that formation as we need to be more expansive and creating chances, which is where our current main problems lie and will do until January window.
Can’t fathom what’s happened to Coulibaly, since returning from injury. He tried last night, but was overall poor in possession, touch was generally inept and he has been struggling for sometime.

Ross gives us that cover when the full-backs are caught on a high line, just like they were at the goal, he offered the protection but a lack of match sharpness/fatigue ultimately contributed for their goal which funnily enough only comes by playing matches.

I think the gaffer now needs to keep a settled team until the window to see if consistent selection provides positive results.

Give me him over Coulibaly all day. I firmly believe Coulibaly's good form at the start of the season was a fluke.
That's unfair; and as this thread is about McCrorie I'll make this my last comment on Coulibaly here. He was was finding form, and wasn't the only midfielder to struggle in Arfield's absence. Arguably, Jack was in the opinion of many MotM last night; he does that performance not in isolation.

Lost his man at the goal by lazy tracking. That wasn't good enough, however experienced or inexperienced you are.

Or how tired you are or not. How many minutes has he played this season?
2 seconds of more effort and he would have intercepted that pass. At this level we can't just makes excuses for that. Would have loved to have seen the reaction if someone like Ejaria had messed up like that at such a crucial point - yet Ross gets away with it. It's top level competitive sport. No room for sentiment. It is what it is.

Back