Ryan Jack

A decent player but probably below our required level now.
Our midfield has been put together for peanuts. Have we ever won a title with a midfield that cost £50k ?

I was impressed with him last season as I thought his game had come on a good bit but I feel like he's not a natural ball player. Even in comparison with Kamara his technique is a bit awkward and is a bit square for want of a better word. As a result it slows things down a little while he adjusts to take touches and make passes and seeing as so much goes through him it adds up. We want things to be going through the likes of Aribo who takes things on the half turn as opposed to needing a touch then turning then a touch to settle. Jack doesnt look too comfortable shooting either, I know he scored a couple last season but again it didnt look like something he was used to doing

Jesus man I stopped reading the vitriol against Jack re his passing etc. if you were watching the same game as me the player making errors all game long was Kamara.
Should the rumours of bids for Kamara be true for f***s sake take the 10m.

Both of them were equally as poor today imo

First 30 minutes today he played at a higher tempo and played forward passes well.

After that, I’m afraid he reverted to the safe, easy passes which take us nowhere.

Mental comments in here. He did the job he was asked to do and didn’t put a foot wrong for me. It’s not his fault it wasn’t what we needed in the game.

Absolutely baffling that jack is getting it tight when his role is played very well.

We had five players attacking, they created nothing. But blame our holding midfielder.
I won’t count kamara as an attacking player for me the boss was too defensive today as Livingston had no intention of attacking one off them should of been taken of rather than Alfie

There is a reason one is being touted for £10m ,and theres has been no interest ever in the other.

Kamara is 4 years young and has a far higher ceiling than Ryan Jack.

Kamara is technically a better player than Ryan Jack and has potential to improve. We need someone better than both. We need a leader who will dictate the tempo is much more aggressive and will drive us forward. Both Jack and Kamara are incapable of that.

While I hate to say it you only have to look at the lego muncher to see how he benefits the scum by breaking up moves then short passes,in any direction,letting his team move on the ball,IMO Jack has same quality.

When our midfield consists of free transfers and a £50k signing from Dundee, I suppose you can’t expect too much.

He has not done anything to warrant a starting berth, every pass is a safety first approach when we need the element of surprise with a quality ball from midfield looking for a runner in behind.
Also Jack's lack of ability to see the move quickly leads him onto a bad first touch, followed by a quick blind pass forward into the opposition, you would forgive a centre back for this type of play, not your holding mid!
We need better, would rather have Davis in the quarter back role let Kamara venture forward in these types of games Jack needs dropped. Imo obviously.

He looked to be developing like last year at Ross County - but it just hasn’t happened.

He was bloody awful at passing today.

Needs replaced with a box to box I think.

He's not chipping in enough. He slows down the tempo too much for me.

Replace Jack with a midfielder who is willing to drive on the ball and take risks, unlike Jack who looks for the safe ball every time.

As with whats happened to Davis, it's time Jack moves to a bench player.

Wouldn't we be better moving Kamara on and taking the supposed £10 million on the table. They both do the same job albeit Jack does it a lot more consistently. Jack had a far better gamer than him today.

Utter shite on here as usual.
Jack wasn’t great today, but he’ll play a forward pass if it’s on.
Kamara actually makes angles for forward passes and then dips out of them. Rarely plays a pass further than the closest guy to him.
I agree that there’s no need for the two of them in a game like today’s, but I don’t blame either of them for us not getting the win.
The argument of them taking too long to play the passes is also baws.
Livi had one big fouling mong up front and 9 others in a 30 yard square. There’s %^*& all room to play it into really and those further up need to be moving more, or more intelligently.
The problem is also with the management not playing more attack minded players.
Jack or Kamara are effectively playing in a Busquets type role. It’s their job to break up attacks and start moves for us. It’s the forward 4/5 players who need to create.
I’d have Jack over Kamara in the sitting role every day of the week.
I remember the MOTM displays against Celtic and the European Performances where he was marking one guy and blocking passes to another when we were down to 10 men v Villarreal.
Ryan Jack is a very good footballer, rarely wastes a pass, is very disciplined positionally and does the majority of what he does right and efficiently. All those firing the boot in should go and %^*& off or actually look at what other holding midfielders do, even for the better teams.
Ryan Jack is absolutely fine for us. It’s those around and in front of him that need improving.

Jesus man I stopped reading the vitriol against Jack re his passing etc. if you were watching the same game as me the player making errors all game long was Kamara.
Should the rumours of bids for Kamara be true for f***s sake take the 10m.

It's a strange thread. Kamara was horrific in that 2nd half and every forward pass he did make was overhit like he was actually taking a shot.

A decent player but probably below our required level now.
Our midfield has been put together for peanuts. Have we ever won a title with a midfield that cost £50k ?
I was just thinking about this, we have spent eff all on central midfielders and its quite unbelievable when you think about it.

Harsh. He was absolutely outstanding in the League Cup Final, he played without any shackles that day.
Exactly. Most impressive Rangers midfield performance in 5 years. He does have it. I can't understand why he is so shackled since then

There is a reason one is being touted for £10m ,and theres has been no interest ever in the other.

Kamara is 4 years young and has a far higher ceiling than Ryan Jack.
I get that but it honestly looks like he's already hit his ceiling.

I was impressed with him last season as I thought his game had come on a good bit but I feel like he's not a natural ball player. Even in comparison with Kamara his technique is a bit awkward and is a bit square for want of a better word. As a result it slows things down a little while he adjusts to take touches and make passes and seeing as so much goes through him it adds up. We want things to be going through the likes of Aribo who takes things on the half turn as opposed to needing a touch then turning then a touch to settle. Jack doesnt look too comfortable shooting either, I know he scored a couple last season but again it didnt look like something he was used to doing
Summed up per
Utter shite on here as usual.
Jack wasn’t great today, but he’ll play a forward pass if it’s on.
Kamara actually makes angles for forward passes and then dips out of them. Rarely plays a pass further than the closest guy to him.
I agree that there’s no need for the two of them in a game like today’s, but I don’t blame either of them for us not getting the win.
The argument of them taking too long to play the passes is also baws.
Livi had one big fouling mong up front and 9 others in a 30 yard square. There’s %^*& all room to play it into really and those further up need to be moving more, or more intelligently.
The problem is also with the management not playing more attack minded players.
Jack or Kamara are effectively playing in a Busquets type role. It’s their job to break up attacks and start moves for us. It’s the forward 4/5 players who need to create.
I’d have Jack over Kamara in the sitting role every day of the week.
I remember the MOTM displays against Celtic and the European Performances where he was marking one guy and blocking passes to another when we were down to 10 men v Villarreal.
Ryan Jack is a very good footballer, rarely wastes a pass, is very disciplined positionally and does the majority of what he does right and efficiently. All those firing the boot in should go and %^*& off or actually look at what other holding midfielders do, even for the better teams.
Ryan Jack is absolutely fine for us. It’s those around and in front of him that need improving.
Your right in your observations regarding Jack and Europe but in this shithouse of a league we need a risk taker, Jack's default is safety.

Wouldn't we be better moving Kamara on and taking the supposed £10 million on the table. They both do the same job albeit Jack does it a lot more consistently. Jack had a far better gamer than him today.

Mate if there is genuine interest with a £10 million offer for Kamara then its an absolute no brainer.

We can't have the two on the park together against most teams. Especially at 0-0 when we need a win. Also both were poor today but at least Kamara was trying to find forward passes.

So what's Kamara there for? Surely we only need one of them for that role against Livi.
Also, Goldson and Helander are still there.

The same as Jack. They form a box defence with Jack & Kamara covering one front of the two centres.

If you’re asking me to make a case for playing that way against Livi today, I’m the wrong guy, because I felt that tactic was too negative and played into Livi’s hands. I wouldn’t have played both Jack and Kamara in defensive midfield roles.

However, I do think it’s unfair to see Jack singled out in other threads for special criticism when I’m pretty sure it’s the manager that’s instructing him to play the way he’s now playing. That’s all I was really driving at.

Anyway, apologies for not hanging round for the rest of this thread. I’m up early tomorrow for work.

Night everyone and never forget we’re not tims, so life could always be way worse than dropping 2 points in an early season away fixture on plastic.:D

Back