Ryan Jack

Must have had most passes, most pass completions yet never bar 1 I recall set up an offensive route to goal.

Since he insisted on two in that position one of them should have been Davis who at least has the ability to put a ball over the top.

BT did a very good analysis of his role before kick off.

Jack and Kamara are told to sit deep to cover for Tav and Borna tanking upfield. Their role is mainly to break things up and protect the central defenders when the wings backs are off. Not unlike Mongo’s role at the paedo harbourers.

If Jack went charging upfield into the final third we’d be left totally exposed down the middle.

I’m going to cut him some slack here and guess that he’s being told to stay deep and careful by the boss.

As an aside and a last wee edit, forgot to say that Aribo was badly missed today. He is fast becoming the only midfielder we have capable of teasing open a stuffy defence

he’s not meant to be splitting the defence. His job is to give it to those that are supposed to do that. He’s playing deep vs. a packed defence without space behind. He played one ball, I think to Arfield that was over the top and behind but also cycled it plenty to Barisic and Tav which the way the team is set up to play. Played it to Morelos’ feet and into Kent and Hagi on numerous occasions too.

No m8, he only once gave it to an offensive player who then when receiving the ball had a chance to exploit. Everything else was an inbetween pass. A pass that could have been made without his touch. SLOWED everything down.

Jack and Kamara are told to sit deep to cover for Tav and Borna tanking upfield. Their role is mainly to break things up and protect the central defenders when the wings backs are off. Not unlike Mongo’s role at the paedo harbourers.

If Jack went charging upfield into the final third we’d be left totally exposed down the middle.

I’m going to cut him some slack here and guess that he’s being told to stay deep and careful by the boss.

We absolutely wouldn’t have been today vs that opposition

I started a thread about this that was chopped. I said maybe he is being asked to play this role. Which is not his fault. Being asked to take the ball from defence and pass out wide. If so Tactics are shit as we had to be looking at going more direct that outwide constantly. Going outwide and cutting in has been successful but you must mix it up. If a pass is on to someone going direct then do it. We did this once I recall from Jack.

So what's Kamara there for? Surely we only need one of them for that role against Livi.
Also, Goldson and Helander are still there.

As an aside and a last wee edit, forgot to say that Aribo was badly missed today. He is fast becoming the only midfielder we have capable of teasing open a stuffy defence
Against the likes of Livingston Football Club there is no way they would have opened us up and exposed us if he had gone up field mate.

I started a thread about this that was chopped. I said maybe he is being asked to play this role. Which is not his fault. Being asked to take the ball from defence and pass out wide. If so Tactics are shit as we had to be looking at going more direct that outwide constantly. Going outwide and cutting in has been successful but you must mix it up. If a pass is on to someone going direct then do it. We did this once I recall from Jack.
Are the tactics:

- Telling Helander & Goldson to play better, more penetrating passes than Jack?

- Telling Helander & Goldson to have more drive, determination and urgency than Jack?

- Telling Jack to be slow and ponderous on the ball, only making simple passes?

You, seriously know absolutely fu.ck all about football.
Obviously!!
I know f.uck all about football? Never claimed I did :D
I wasn’t commenting on tactics, formations, squad selections etc all I did was make observations about Ryan Jack’s inability to make a positive forward pass, or in some cases even find his own man.

No m8, he only once gave it to an offensive player who then when receiving the ball had a chance to exploit. Everything else was an inbetween pass. A pass that could have been made without his touch. SLOWED everything down.

Completely disagree. He did his job efficiently. His job is not to create chances, it’s to get the ball to the guys that are there to create chances.

Completely disagree. He did his job efficiently. His job is not to create chances, it’s to get the ball to the guys that are there to create chances.

look m8, his job is to find the player that can create chances 100% agree

However finding them by a side pass on the halfway line or a very slight diagonal is not what is required when 10 players are behind the ball.

Needs replaced with a box to box I think.

He's not chipping in enough. He slows down the tempo too much for me.

Replace Jack with a midfielder who is willing to drive on the ball and take risks, unlike Jack who looks for the safe ball every time.

As with whats happened to Davis, it's time Jack moves to a bench player.

I know f.uck all about football? Never claimed I did :D
I wasn’t commenting on tactics, formations, squad selections etc all I did was make observations about Ryan Jack’s inability to make a positive forward pass, or in some cases even find his own man.

I'll keep saying it.
He's a DEFENSIVE midfielder.

Surely Rangers fans aren't that stupid.

Our problems today weren't down to Ryan Jack.

Needs replaced with a box to box I think.

He's not chipping in enough. He slows down the tempo too much for me.

Replace Jack with a midfielder who is willing to drive on the ball and take risks, unlike Jack who looks for the safe ball every time.

As with whats happened to Davis, it's time Jack moves to a bench player.

Although I agree 100%, is he being asked to perform this role? If not why did he not come off?

Plays like he is on tranquillisers with his head down at times.
Looks every inch the free transfer signing from Aberdeen.

Although I agree 100%, is he being asked to perform this role? If not why did he not come off?

Think thats part of the issue mate, if he is being asked to play this role it's worrying that our management see that as a role necessary at 0-0 when we need 3 points.

FWIW i'd have hooked him for Itten and gone two up top.

look m8, his job is to find the player that can create chances 100% agree

However finding them by a side pass on the halfway line or a very slight diagonal is not what is required when 10 players are behind the ball.

surely he has to pass the ball to where they are?!

He played it in to forward players feet and to the wide, high full backs on plenty of occasions throughout the game.

Those creative players and the three strikers we had on the pitch are the ones that we should be discussing today.

Fed up hearing about his Jack doesn’t get enough assists or goals (and I know that’s not necessarily you). Seems to be the easy target after every game like this when it’s the forwards’ job to unlock defences and score goals, not the central midfield who actually controlled the game and kept Livingston penned in for 90 minutes, providing a platform for those guys to do more.

I'll keep saying it.
He's a DEFENSIVE midfielder.

Surely Rangers fans aren't that stupid.

Our problems today weren't down to Ryan Jack.

Are you suggesting he has never played passis in front of him or ventured into a goal scoring position?

if so you are talking rubbish.

he was content to jog around like scott brown doing the basics but seldom found a man in space in a dangerous area of the park. It was all short, safety, slow passes

For 90% of our games, he simply isn't compatible with what we need.

Yep. Bring him in to play games where we have to battle more for the ball and defend against teams who actually want to put us under sustained pressure or break with real intent. He isn't needed in games like today's, and the manager needs to look at being more adaptable in the systems we use.

We are too predictable, and Gerrard is too wedded to the the 4-3-2-1. Game like today is ideal for mixing it up a bit, play a diamond or a 3-5-2 and allow another striker with Hagi at number 10.

surely he has to pass the ball to where they are?!

He played it in to forward players feet and to the wide, high full backs on plenty of occasions throughout the game.

Those creative players and the three strikers we had on the pitch are the ones that we should be discussing today.

Fed up hearing about his Jack doesn’t get enough assists or goals (and I know that’s not necessarily you). Seems to be the easy target after every game like this when it’s the forwards’ job to unlock defences and score goals, not the central midfield who actually controlled the game and kept Livingston penned in for 90 minutes, providing a platform for those guys to do more.

ps m8 first time I have had a go at him as it was blatantly obvious.

I wish I could see a diagram of all his passes today. Think it would explain alot.

Most Passes - tick
Most pass completition - tick
Forward passes directed goalward - NONE maybe 1

His passing today could have been completed by a midfielder two league levels below. Safe, Slow and Short.

Jack played well today. Moved the ball to the guys that are supposed to be creative with it well.

He barely completed a forward pass, he took the ball from the toes of his central defenders, took a few touches and squared it to Kamara who would move it one even slower and with less pace.

He gets nose bleeds 25 yards from goal and the ball resorts back in our own half.

If a Rangers CM can't play with their head up, pick out that early pass or show a bit of authority, urgency or ability to make that pass then they need replaced.

Good squad player, never a first team regular.

Easiest job in our team with some peoples expectation levels of him.

Kemar Roofe got an early indication of the ability he will be working with in midfield, when he was standing screaming for Jack to play him a pass for about 5 seconds. For Jack to turn away and play a sideways pass.

Only the 100th time we’ve seen that happen.

Yep. Bring him in to play games where we have to battle more for the ball and defend against teams who actually want to put us under sustained pressure or break with real intent. He isn't needed in games like today's, and the manager needs to look at being more adaptable in the systems we use.

We are too predictable, and Gerrard is too wedded to the the 4-3-2-1. Game like today is ideal for mixing it up a bit, play a diamond or a 3-5-2 and allow another striker with Hagi at number 10.
Spot on mate.

With all due respect to the lad he is a hindrance rather than a help in games like today. Simply not needed. Livi don't have the players to expose us whatsoever, if he was to drop out.

Easiest job in our team with some peoples expectation levels of him.

Kemar Roofe got an early indication of the ability he will be working with in midfield, when he was standing screaming for Jack to play him a pass for about 5 seconds. For Jack to turn away and play a sideways pass.

Only the 100th time we’ve seen that happen.

He doesn’t have the quality on the ball and never has. Three seasons has been enough time to judge. He must be replaced quickly for us to improve.

ps m8 first time I have had a go at him as it was blatantly obvious.

I wish I could see a diagram of all his passes today. Think it would explain alot.

Most Passes - tick
Most pass completition - tick
Forward passes directed goalward - NONE maybe 1

His passing today could have been completed by a midfielder two league levels below. Safe, Slow and Short.

I’d also like to see that diagram!

He barely completed a forward pass, he took the ball from the toes of his central defenders, took a few touches and squared it to Kamara who would move it one even slower and with less pace.

He gets nose bleeds 25 yards from goal and the ball resorts back in our own half.

If a Rangers CM can't play with their head up, pick out that early pass or show a bit of authority, urgency or ability to make that pass then they need replaced.

Good squad player, never a first team regular.

Keep saying it, it might become true.

I thinks it’s bizarre to criticise Jack after today. We didn’t create enough but that’s not Ryan Jack’s fault despite how much some folk want it to be.

Tin hat on but we would probably get more driving forward with Docherty replacing Jack or Kamara in these types of game,Not suggesting he is good enough long term but until we get someone better he might do a turn.

We dont need 2 holding players in midfield against the 10 behind the ball SPL sides.
Its one less creative and attacking thinking player which plays into the defensive sides plan as they have one less to worry about. Jack and Kamara with our 2 centre backs are covering a lone striker , then Morelos has to drop deep to get a touch, is just madness.

People wonder why our attacking players drop so deep. At times our two centre backs are further forward and making forward thinking passes over our two central midfielders.

Then there is Arfield playing a level below, getting caught out out of position, plodding about the park aimlessly and surrendering possession at every turn.

Coventry in pre season was yet another wake up call. That midfield of ours is junk and getting the better of the bheggars in one of games, as so many spunk their pants over, doesn't mean a thing.

There's about 6 or 7 games in a season we need a defensive midfielder in Scottish football nevermind 2 in nearly every single game.

A simple formula to use here.

To be a Rangers player and be picked every game and under 30 years old I would expect to see a figure of at least 1 million pounds.

Anything else shows you are a limited player. Ye he has been called up 3 times for Scotland but jeez that not a great milestone.

Dont want to bash the lad as I like him especially when under the cosh but to stop 10 we need an upgrade.

We have spent in every other area, why not here?

the diagram would show his end pass still had 9 livi players goalside. HONESTLY bar 1.

There was no space behind them! He had no players running behind to hit either. Today we needed the guys Jack was passing it forward to, to turn and front up, try to beat a man or draw players towards him, like Ronald De Boer used to do so effectively for us. That’s actually a good example as if you looked at a Barry Ferguson pass diagram against a defence like that you’d have seen something similar to Jack’s today, I guess he wasn’t good enough either.

The other thing is that we actually did put at least half a dozen dangerous crosses in to the box today. Which Livi defended incredibly well.

Not going to slaughter the guy from today but vastly over rated imo

Tidy player techinacally sound and always gives us 100%.

But a key player in a Rangers title winning team?

Nope for me

Eyan
There was no space behind them! He had no players running behind to hit either. Today we needed the guys Jack was passing it forward to, to turn and front up, try to beat a man or draw players towards him, like Ronald De Boer used to do so effectively for us. That’s actually a good example as if you looked at a Barry Ferguson pass diagram against a defence like that you’d have seen something similar to Jack’s today, I guess he wasn’t good enough either.

The other thing is that we actually did put at least half a dozen dangerous crosses in to the box today. Which Livi defended incredibly well.

Ryan Jack couldn’t lace Barry Ferguson’s boots.

We need better and quickly.

Back