Safe Standing ... Once again

Absolute shambles that there was no mention of it in this "fan improvement survey". I couldn't care less about WiFi right now. I want a dedicated safe standing section where the likes of myself and other supporters can congregate and take part in singing for 90 minutes and being involved in displays.

The Union Bears need to be moved from BF1 and Safe Standing implemented into the Broomloan Front which is the only sort of suitable place as there would be an uproar if it was in the Copland Front despite it being the traditional Rangers End. 99% of all chants/songs originate from the Broomloan Front currently.

I know there's older supporters on here that don't understand what it's about but the younger generation of fans clearly want this to go forward.

I honestly hope the Board deliver it as it seems to have been swept under the carpet and they don't seem to understand what supporters actually want. Any information regarding Safe Standing yet @Greg Marshall ? The likes of Kilmarnock are getting it before us.

Im an older fan and Id love to see safe standing introduced but just look at some of the comments on here and you'll see why the club havent moved on this. Its almost as if they want the atmosphere to stay shit.

Its the young fans you've got to feel sorry for. They're trying hard to make things better for all of us but its a real uphill struggle.

Im an older fan and Id love to see safe standing introduced but just look at some of the comments on here and you'll see why the club havent moved on this. Its almost as if they want the atmosphere to stay shit.

Its the young fans you've got to feel sorry for. They're trying hard to make things better for all of us but its a real uphill struggle.
Hopefully we can see progress in a large safe standing section at Ibrox before the club’s anniversary.

It's really apparent that the board don't want to implement it for some bizarre reason.

I have no confidence that it'd be adequate if they did either

That’s what I thought and then folk were mentioning they didn’t want it because of the Ibrox Disaster despite it being safe hence the name and there’s collapsible seats.

There's older fans in favour and older fans against. Back in the 60s and 70s it was the same but back then the ones that did want to sing would head for the Derry and those that didnt would go to the Main Stand or somewhere else more sedate. Today there is no choice and that's the way some want it to stay. Its very odd.

It's really apparent that the board don't want to implement it for some bizarre reason.

I have no confidence that it'd be adequate if they did either

Two rows in the Club Deck on a five year trial. No one under 25 allowed. That should do it.

Exactly mate.

Kilmarnock are doing it. 400 safe standing spaces - at a cost of £40,000. It's not expensive.

It's typically of this board to just faff around without just getting on with it. So frustrating.

Kilmarnock update from last week:

"We wish to inform supporters on the progress of the safe standing project following last month’s update.

The rail seats for the safe standing areas have been safely delivered to Rugby Park and along with our stadium management team, we are currently working with the installers and East Ayrshire Council, from a safety testing perspective, to arrange a mutually suitable date to get these areas in place.

The £40,000 project, which has been funded by fans through the Trust In Killie initiative, will lead to 394 rail seats being placed in two areas of the East Stand as well as a section of the Moffat Stand, allowing families and younger supporters to get a taste of this passionate element of football culture."

"Passionate element of football culture"? What are they talking about?

This gets brought up time and again, but bringing this into the debate is completely pointless imo. They are never going to be legalised in a football grounds here mate.

Regarding the debate on safe standing my take on it (from the outside looking in) is that the UB have work to do with the Club before it'll even be up for discussion. Not only have they openly been blamed for the recent partial closure (wrongly imo), they also released that fuckwit statement supporting the use of pyrotechnics, even though they are banned/illegal. Whether people agree or not with the rule is irrelevant, there's no way the club are going to be seen to be encouraging it.

FWIW I'm in favour of it and would like to see it in a prominent position in the stadium.

I thought it was nothing to do with the UB?

The reason being the first half performance, I know it shouldn't be the case but when the team are under performing the fans tend to also..

True, but it was a bit flat from kick off. The Feyenoord game everyone stayed standing. This time as soon as it kicked off everyone sat down. It was Kent's decent shot which went for a corner that sparked it all.

In terms of providing active support the UB's absolutely do it the most. They don't just sing when we are winning. Last week was the classic example. The rest of the stadium only came to life after we scored. UB's were "supporting" throughout the game. That's just a fact. It's a shame, but it is the truth.
Do you honestly think the Club will reward the section that UEFA pinpointed as the reason they ordered the Club to close a section of the ground?

Do you honestly think the Club will reward the section that UEFA pinpointed as the reason they ordered the Club to close a section of the ground?

It's not about rewarding just that section though. It's about the whole experience of visiting Ibrox as both a fan and a player.

It's not about rewarding just that section though. It's about the whole experience of visiting Ibrox as both a fan and a player.
That won’t be the perception UEFA see though, you can guarantee that the next time Fare report something then the sanctions will be ramped up.

That won’t be the perception UEFA see though, you can guarantee that the next time Fare report something then the sanctions will be ramped up.

What have FARE got to do with us having safe standing?

The reason we should have it is because the experience of all consider is dreadful. Nothing to do with UEFA or FARE.

What have FARE got to do with us having safe standing?

The reason we should have it is because the experience of all consider is dreadful. Nothing to do with UEFA or FARE.
You replied to my point regarding the perception of reward that’s why Fare and UEFA are pertinent.

You replied to my point regarding the perception of reward that’s why Fare and UEFA are pertinent.

The perception of reward is nonsense though. It's never been about reward. It's never even really been about the UB solely. It's about improving a terrible fan scene for everyone.

I’d suggest recent UEFA sanctions imposed on the club will see this booted into the long grass.

I’d suggest the UB taking heed of this and totally changing the songbook would say it won’t

I’d go further to say that the rest of the support need to up their game big style and back the new songs. The Follow Follow Glasgow Rangers song they’re singing is a belter and yer the rest of the ground dont join in - who knows why?

According to some on here safe standing has got nothing to do with the UB.

The perception of reward is nonsense though. It's never been about reward. It's never even really been about the UB solely. It's about improving a terrible fan scene for everyone.

Some dont want to be part of safe standing. I understand that but I dont understand why they dont want others to have a choice.

Sorry mate, I'm not following you?

Edit - just seen your other post. Get you now.

Have a look at some of the posts above. A few posters constantly criticise the UB and claim that Safe Standing isnt about them. Its for anyone that wants to stand and sing. Having said that they go on to say that the UB need to change if they're to get safe standing.

I’d suggest the UB taking heed of this and totally changing the songbook would say it won’t

I’d go further to say that the rest of the support need to up their game big style and back the new songs. The Follow Follow Glasgow Rangers song they’re singing is a belter and yer the rest of the ground dont join in - who knows why?
I sit in Broomloan rear when I am at games and try to join in with most of the songs. Have to admit I don't join in with the Follow Follow Glasgow Rangers song as I don't know the words and don't like the tune - seems very monotone and possibly the same tune is sung by many other clubs. Some complain about Coming Down the Road, Build my Gallows etc... but they are great tunes to sing and that's probably why they have lasted.

Anyway, came on to talk about safe standing and make a few points about UB.

At Ibrox we have come to depend on UB to start the singing. When they stop for a single game then the place is obviously quiet. That doesn't mean that if they no-longer existed the atmosphere would be bad. It would take time for Ibrox to evolve to the new state but the atmosphere would come back as there are too many people who want to sing and shout and stand at Rangers games for it not to.

Having said the above, I do think the UB are great and appreciate what they do. Hopefully they will be moved to centre of Broomloan as a first step.

The cost of implementing safe standing seems quite low and should be do- able in the short term, but wondering whether the club are looking into redeveloping the lower tiers of the Broomloan and Copeland. If these stands were more continuous rather than having the scoreboard band in the middle, and if the stands went out nearer the back of the goals then it might add an extra bit of capacity to the stadium at relatively low cost. That would probably involve changing the angle of the lower tiers and would be the best time to add rail seating for safe standing.

While I agree it’s a good idea, it’s also expensive. And right now we aren’t exactly flush with cash, we are running at a significant loss.

Id personally park the idea and pour all our resources into both essential ground maintenance and of course players, which is what we are doing.
Positive that people offered to pay for it to the club last year. Someone more ITK may be able to confirm this.

Fact is they aren’t interested, never have been. Why would they do something for the customers?

Have a look at some of the posts above. A few posters constantly criticise the UB and claim that Safe Standing isnt about them. Its for anyone that wants to stand and sing. Having said that they go on to say that the UB need to change if they're to get safe standing.

It's not solely about them but, I think people are kidding themselves if they think they wont be the focal point of any standing area, which includes leading/starting the majority of the songs.

The Club obviously think this way too, so it's no real surprise things have gone quiet on the subject after it seemed like things had progressed not so long ago. As stated above the club have pretty much blamed them for the recent ground closure due to sectarian singing and the pyrotechnics statement was just idiotic in the extreme.

Work to be done before it'll be considered imo.

I'd like to think that the club would look at the bigger picture with regard to constructively introducing a set up where we can have an energetic atmosphere.

The past 20 have been poor with regard to noise generated within our stadium for the vast majority of games.

Again - does any club in Europe treat their most vocally supporting fans like we do in terms of tucking them away in the worst place possible?! It's a joke.

Because folk are too busy directing abuse at our own players instead of singing. I’m in BF and I sing all game. Not enough fans making an effort, we need safe standing so folk who want to create an atmosphere can be congregated in one area.

I'd say that many of the fans in here who tend to put up barriers against safe standing don't attend many/any away games.

Everyone stands at away games. Sitting is not a thing. And there is no complaining or moaning about it. We all just get on with it, crank up an atmosphere and get behind the team. We need to transfer that energy and enjoyment to Ibrox.

Because folk are too busy directing abuse at our own players instead of singing. I’m in BF and I sing all game. Not enough fans making an effort, we need safe standing so folk who want to create an atmosphere can be congregated in one area.

A very pertinent point. In the good old days of the terracing (misty eyed nostalgia) you stood with your mates and if you were all singing folk gravitated towards the group and it became larger and vice versa. Before long you hit a crescendo in "fuck yer Lou Macari" or the likes :D :D

There was no proclaimed singing section (the whole term currently irks me due to perceived status) it was just likemided people together whereas others sat in other stands or stood in another part.

Early to mid 90's we used to go to the EE and it was excellent, chanting throughout, chanting at the Copland etc. and was a laugh, it came easy. I'm sure the WE done similar.

The demand for all seater and most ST has killed that ease of atmosphere.

I'd say that many of the fans in here who tend to put up barriers against safe standing don't attend many/any away games.

Everyone stands at away games. Sitting is not a thing. And there is no complaining or moaning about it. We all just get on with it, crank up an atmosphere and get behind the team. We need to transfer that energy and enjoyment to Ibrox.
A few years ago Livingston tickets went on sale to all ST holders and there was loads of people that obviously hadn’t been to away games. Sat on their arses in silence for the whole game and actually asked me to sit down at one point because they couldn’t see.

Holt 1-1 I believe.

A very pertinent point. In the good old days of the terracing (misty eyed nostalgia) you stood with your mates and if you were all singing folk gravitated towards the group and it became larger and vice versa. Before long you hit a crescendo in "fuck yer Lou Macari" or the likes :D :D

There was no proclaimed singing section (the whole term currently irks me due to perceived status) it was just likemided people together whereas others sat in other stands or stood in another part.

Early to mid 90's we used to go to the EE and it was excellent, chanting throughout, chanting at the Copland etc. and was a laugh, it came easy. I'm sure the WE done similar.

The demand for all seater and most ST has killed that ease of atmosphere.

The ST culture has resulted in the stands having a mixed demographic. This isnt how it used to be. The way to resolve the problem is to have an area set aside where like minded individuals can get together for a sing song. Those that dont want to stand/ sing have about 90% of the stadium to choose from. Its a win win.

The ST culture has resulted in the stands having a mixed demographic. This isnt how it used to be. The way to resolve the problem is to have an area set aside where like minded individuals can get together for a sing song. Those that dont want to stand/ sing have about 90% of the stadium to choose from. Its a win win.

Spaking of STs. In your opinion should the area be all STs or should it be match to match ticket you buy?

I think the latter.

Spaking of STs. In your opinion should the area be all STs or should it be match to match ticket you buy?

I think the latter.

Interesting idea. I was thinking of rover tickets but maybe a combination would work. Gives the die hards a guaranteed ticket for every game but also lets others have the chance to join in.

Wouldnt be surprised to find ST holders from other areas decide to buy one of these matchday tickets just for the experience. One things for sure they'd be much sought after.

How can you not believe it, we sit there and know it happens, you obviously dont see it happening watching it from your couch.

My couch is in the EE. Calm doon. I agreed you should have safe standing if you want it. No need for childish attempts at insults.

It's been happening for years. It's a fact that it happens whether you believe it or not. As I said, not 6 to one seat but overcrowded.

If some areas are over crowded that is surely a safety hazard? Not a very good advert for safe standing in my opinion. Just because it has been happening for years doesn't make it right.

If some areas are over crowded that is surely a safety hazard? Not a very good advert for safe standing in my opinion. Just because it has been happening for years doesn't make it right.
I never said it was right. It is a safety hazard too at times. That's why we need safe standing as opposed to unsafe.

You agreed for safe standing but couldn't get your head around over crowding ??

This is just going round in circles. Perhaps the seating in the BF is bigger than the EE. My seat has enough room for one person only. Also, if everybody is crowding round the same seats, then why are there not equivalent big spaces in the BF? Let's just call it a day, as we are clearly not going to agree with regards to " overcrowding". Good luck with your attempts in achieving safe standing in your area.

Is this really needed or do we just want it because the mentally challengeds have it? I stood up for the whole of the Porto game in BF5 (Not through choice it has to be said, I'm a big fan of sitting down). Didn't feel 'unsafe' at any point, and I'm not sure the atmosphere or my match experience would've been improved by a rail in front of me.

It’s quite obvious safe standing isn’t going to happen because certain people in the club or perhaps just the chief of security don’t want it , end of story and then there’s the fans who have sat in the same seat for years who are up in arms if it were to affect them.

Sadly Ibrox is what it is now...a big happy clappy space full of customers mixed in with people who still think supporting the team extends to more than just turning up and want to actively get behind the team but are restricted due to being sat next to strangers many of whom are not interested in making an atmosphere and get upset if people stand up during the game.

So there it is, it’s a waste of time bringing this subject up anymore because as already mentioned the club aren’t interested and there’s not enough fans demanding it and even if there were enough the support STILL has ZERO power and influence in the club to get things moving so it will fall on the UBs to continue to keep the wee bit of noise going we do hear in the stadium which is very much appreciated by me and a lot of other fans but I must admit it’s a depressing thought to know that those red hot electric atmosphere’s of the past such as the Kiev, Leeds games for example, pre all seated are never ever going to be replicated and the way things have been going we’ll be lucky to get an atmosphere on a par with the Parma and Stuttgart games again in a stadium which is standing exactly the same way structurally as it was back then.

If people think the atmosphere was great for the Porto game that’s their opinion, I’m certain the people running the club thought it was just fine and sadly I believe the MAJORITY of folk inside Ibrox thought it was good too so that’s that!

Back