Saturday football

My dad always gets irate when teams bring on a 6’3+ striker then never ever cross the ball to him, all he’s moaned about the past 10 minutes.

I'm guessing they're going that since WBA touched the ball after the handball, the handball wasnt directly part of the buildup for the goal?

Genuinely no one knows precisely what the rules are.

On this thread during the Everton game people were saying if it hits your hand full stop its a foul now. I have no idea what the truth is.

Not good enough for this level? He scored nearly a goal every other game in the EPL for Chelsea last season.

Some people here come out with some embarrassing comments.
By this level I meant a team who are supposedly pushing for a title. I don't believe he is good enough and his record in the big games doesnt impress me, never once had the feeling he would be likely to influence a big game. And yes he's just scored but I'm not accepting a 1 yard tap in as evidence to the contrary.

And there are far more embarrassing comments on here than someone saying they dont rate tammy abraham. Calm down ffs

Genuinely no one knows precisely what the rules are.

On this thread during the Everton game people were saying if it hits your hand full stop its a foul now. I have no idea what the truth is.

From the BBC earlier today:

• Hand/arm is clearly away from the body and outside the "body line" .
  • Player clearly leans into the path of the ball.
  • Ball travels some distance.
  • Ball touches hand/arm that is clearly raised above the shoulder.
  • Player falls and the hand/arm is extended laterally or vertically away from the body.
  • Deflection clearly makes no difference to the ball touching a hand/arm that is clearly extended away from the body and/or above the shoulder
Basically if it hits your hand/arm below the t-shirt line it’s a penalty (in the instance they were talking about). In the Chelsea instance I think, as someone said earlier, the fact that there was another passage of play before Mounts shot meant it wasn’t disallowed (VAR reviews all, goals but not all handballs).

• Player falls and the hand/arm is extended laterally or vertically away from the body.
  • Deflection clearly makes no difference to the ball touching a hand/arm that is clearly extended away from the body and/or above the shoulder
Basically if it hits your hand/arm below the t-shirt line it’s a penalty (in the instance they were talking about). In the Chelsea instance I think, as someone said earlier, the fact that there was another passage of play before Mounts shot meant it wasn’t disallowed (VAR reviews all, goals but not all handballs).

Robson Kanu makes an arse of the clearance, I think if it drops to mount straight from the handball it would have been given.

I kind of follow that. What is the T-shirt line though?

By this level I meant a team who are supposedly pushing for a title. I don't believe he is good enough and his record in the big games doesnt impress me, never once had the feeling he would be likely to influence a big game. And yes he's just scored but I'm not accepting a 1 yard tap in as evidence to the contrary.

And there are far more embarrassing comments on here than someone saying they dont rate tammy abraham. Calm down ffs

You're entitled to an opinion, and to not rate him. But to say he's an average Premier League player when he's averaged a goal every other game (there about) for Chelsea last season, that's despite going through a period where he was out of form after injury, just makes no sense. I'm not sure who his goals have come against so can't comment on him apparently not doing anything against the big teams, but his record is still more than credible, and quite clearly he's an excellent young player. He's also more than good enough as a squad player for any top side. He's head and shoulders better than Divock Origi who gets a decent amount of playing time at Liverpool for one example.

Thats for defensive handball. The rule was changed at the start of last season that if it hits any part of the arm and you score or gain control and set up a goal its disallowed.

That was changed this season and the arm starts below armpit level now.

Thats for defensive handball. The rule was changed at the start of last season that if it hits any part of the arm and you score or gain control and set up a goal its disallowed.

That was changed this season and the arm starts below armpit level now.

I did say they quoted that extract in relation to the penalty incidents today - think it was the Palace v Everton game. Same happened in one of the midweek games and the t-shirt line certainly came into it there as well.

Might be different elsewhere on the pitch, of course. Back in the day the laws of the game were so much easier - even if the women couldn’t understand offside.:rolleyes:

EDIT:
Leagues free to decide whether to use new handball law when season resumes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52208435

The "T-shirt line" or armpit - essentially where the sleeve on a T-shirt ends - will become a key marker on the player's body for match officials, with anything below that being handball.

I did say they quoted that extract in relation to the penalty incidents today - think it was the Palace v Everton game. Same happened in one of the midweek games and the t-shirt line certainly came into it there as well.

Might be different elsewhere on the pitch, of course. Back in the day the laws of the game were so much easier - even if the women couldn’t understand offside.:rolleyes:
Its different handball rules for defensive and attacking handball. You can accidentally stop a goal with your hand but you cant accidentally score or set one up with it.

The one midweek was allowed because it hit his arm above the armpit.

Its different handball rules for defensive and attacking handball. You can accidentally stop a goal with your hand but you cant accidentally score or set one up with it.

The one midweek was allowed because it hit his arm above the armpit.

Surely your arm above your armpit is actually your shoulder :))

They're both fantastic strikers?

Depends on your definition of fantastic. They’re at the sort of mediocre clubs they belong at, and neither should be pushing for the golden boot in a league that’s allegedly the strongest in the world. The seasons only just begun and there’s already been an abundance of comedy defending akin to last season.

Depends on your definition of fantastic. They’re at the sort of mediocre clubs they belong at, and neither should be pushing for the golden boot in a league that’s allegedly the strongest in the world. The seasons only just begun and there’s already been an abundance of comedy defending akin to last season.

Yeah, the defending has been abysmal. I'm not going to argue that. Still think they are both top forwards though that would score goals anywhere, and them scoring goals most weeks for me isn't any real indication of the Premier League being poor. You could certainly argue that Vardy, with his game, would score even more than he has for Leicester, in a better side.

Yeah, the defending has been abysmal. I'm not going to argue that. Still think they are both top forwards though that would score goals anywhere, and them scoring goals most weeks for me isn't any real indication of the Premier League being poor. You could certainly argue that Vardy, with his game, would score even more than he has for Leicester, in a better side.

I think most strikers would get more goals in better sides that create more chances to be fair. Vardy’s got a bit more to his game but he’s about where he belongs. Ings is decent, but again I don’t see any of the big boys coming back to look at him again.

English? Pass him the kleenexs.

I think most strikers would get more goals in better sides that create more chances to be fair. Vardy’s got a bit more to his game but he’s about where he belongs. Ings is decent, but again I don’t see any of the big boys coming back to look at him again.
Well here’s a hypothetical question, Euro 2021. Kane is injured, are any of the big boys going to be bricking it at Danny Ings?. I like the lad but he strikes me as big fish small pond player.

I also don’t think his game is good off or intelligent enough to fit into a Liverpool three, even as as sub as suggested.

As a Charlie Austin type number 9 at a mid table he’s great but I think that’s his level.

Last edited:
Well here’s a hypothetical question, Euro 2021. Kane is injured, are any of the big boys going to be bricking it at Danny Ings?. I like the lad but he strikes me as big fish small pond player.

I also don’t think his game is good off or intelligent enough to Fit into a Liverpool three, even as as sub as suggested.

As a Charlie Austin type number 9 at a mid table he’s great but I think that’s his level.

Klopp was a huge fan of Ings and it was only Ings wanting to play every week why he was sold. Had Ings been content to play back up at Liverpool he would still be there 100%. I don't think even Klopp would have expected him to do what he's done at Southampton since though.

Also, I don't think the better teams would be scared of Ings should that happen. But in this form, give him a couple of chances and he will score, regardless of the opposition.

Is Beech the new account that mad nutter who would have a hissy fit anytime someone criticised an English player?

Canny mind that guys name but he’s disappeared just as Beech has appeared :D

Pretty sure I criticised a few English players today alone, but okay... :D

Back