Scotland Under 21’s - 3 Positive COVID Cases

My ex and one of my kids have the flu right now. They thought it was covid but the test returned a negative.

Why would flu come back as positive like you say, if it's not the same thing?
Having flu or not doesn’t impact a false positive.

PCR testing is highly dependent on the lab and operator skill for accuracy.

My ex and one of my kids have the flu right now. They thought it was covid but the test returned a negative.

Why would flu come back as positive like you say, if it's not the same thing?
'Dead cells' can be present in the body of someone who has been infected for some time after they are no longer infectious. They can produce a positive result.

'Dead cells' can be present in the body of someone who has been infected for some time after they are no longer infectious. They can produce a positive result.
They reckon that's around six months max. March to November is 8 months.

Having flu or not doesn’t impact a false positive.

PCR testing is highly dependent on the lab and operator skill for accuracy.
No it's not. It's pretty straightforward and only requires basic lab skills. Plus, NHS testing labs are basically all automated with sample prep machines.

What's so difficult to believe in catching a Coronavirus twice? Antibodies to illnesses fade over time, after catching Norovirus you are immune for up to 6 months generally, for example.

Right, so nothing to do with the Flu then. That's what I was saying.

The World Health Organisation.
I can't find the study.

I read that the tests, at best, give a 1% false positive result though. As a previous poster said, that is the most likely reason for 2 or more positive tests. Of the 1200 positives recorded in scotland yesterday, about 240 will be expected to be inaccurate.

People can get chicken pox twice. Most people don't. This is probably the same with a comparatively small amount of people susceptible to it again.

If reinfection was widespread, you'd be hearing a lot more about it given there are millions of people worldwide who have had it and a lot are now also 8 months recovered which takes you out the time they think you are immune.

Which is pretty much the reason the high number of test ‘positives’ arent translating into high hospital admissions, ICU admissions and high excess deaths which is the true measure of a pandemic. The lateral flow test is apparently much more accurate.

Eh, where do you hear that? It's an easy process which is mostly automated, is it not?

They take test and put it in a machine, machine says results.
No there have been many reports of poor procedures at labs, contamination etc.

It could happen to us. I certainly won't be laughing or mocking any club.

Thus far we've kept it under wraps. Let's hope that continues as a bout of coronavirus through our squad could hurt us on the park - that and potential long term health effects.

What’s the repercussions of this as Middleton and Patterson were training with the entire 1st team squad yesterday.

What’s the repercussions of this as Middleton and Patterson were training with the entire 1st team squad yesterday.

If they are contacts I'm sure it would be ok. If they have it, it would be any of their close contacts that would need to isolate. I take it that being on the pitch and outside is not a close contact.

Back