Scott Wright

I like Wright and expect him to go on and do well for us but this was Cove Rangers. Aribo has done it in the Europa for us, including scoring one of our all time classic goals. Let's not disparage him.
Absolutely not disparaging Aribo,I just think Wright will offer more game in game out.;)

As bright as Wright has been I still think he's a long way from the finished article so some patience is definitely required.

The work he's put in to develop physically so far has been exceptional though and once the finishing touches are there on his end product we could have a serious asset on our hands.

Looking forward to seeing him and Kent in the same team.

Got to admit that I never noticed him at Aberdeen and was a bit meh about his signing, saw it as a possible Barker level of player but hats off to the guy, he's made the very most of his time on the pitch and must now be a serious contender a starting place in the team.

He’s got to be in line to start pretty much every game in this run in now.

He’s been very impressive in his cameos so far and, even though it’s only Cove, I felt he cemented that today with the bits I’ve been able to see.

I don’t think Gerrard has any justification to play Aribo ahead of him any more.
Aribo shouldn't start v The Bheasts, he's been anonymous the last two games.

We were up against cove rangers remember, not like he was coming up against quality opposition. He looks a good player but let’s see how he does. Aribo has been a good player for us this season no need for the cheap dig.
Cove actually played better than most of the bottom six (Hamilton, Ross County etc) imo. But I appreciate we need to see him more against better quality. Looking good though.

Cove actually played better than most of the bottom six (Hamilton, Ross County etc) imo. But I appreciate we need to see him more against better quality. Looking good though.
They might have attempted to play football but they were well below the standard of Hamilton and Ross county

As bright as Wright has been I still think he's a long way from the finished article so some patience is definitely required.

The work he's put in to develop physically so far has been exceptional though and once the finishing touches are there on his end product we could have a serious asset on our hands.

I know you are being positive about Scott Wright but where I disagree is where you say ‘he’s a long way from the finished article’.
I know it’s all about opinions but I think from everything I’ve seen he’s ready to walk into the first team now (first pick or off the bench).

Not to pish on anyone's picnic because he played brilliantly yesterday, but it was against Cove Rangers. He deserves praise for his performance but let's calm ourselves down a wee bit. Wright isn't an automatic starter yet.

I think Scott Wright is a natural footballer, makes the game look easy.
The way he controls the ball, glides past players - but also has the ability to stand on the spot and flick passes.

I think Scott Wright is a natural footballer, makes the game look easy.
The way he controls the ball, glides past players - but also has the ability to stand on the spot and flick passes.
the most succinct post on a player by far, totally agree, he's gonna be a crowd pleaser, if he wasn't scottish and cost so little money, then the perception of his talent by some of our fans when we signed him may no be so meh, I was chuffed when we got him as even at aberdeen he stood out as a very skilful player, and there's no many of them in scotland, I'm sure everyone understands now though why gerrard pushed the boat out to get him in early

I think he’s going to get an awful lot of game time over the next 14 months.
He seems to understand where he is and the opportunity he has been given
Compare and contrast with players like Jordan Jones or Kyle Lafferty who had the perfect platform then proceeded to blow it

just watched inside Ibrox, there was a bit at the start when Wright bought down a long ball played to him, and had a shot that was deflected, in real time it did not look much till I saw the pitch level camera angle, never realised he used the outside of his ankle to control the pass, was a lot more impressive than it seemed

I remember watching him play for Scotland under 16/17’s at a tournament and was technically Scotland’s best player but just lacked the end product. I hope he turns out to be an inspired signing. The boy has a lovely touch and awareness about him. If we can just add a few more goals to his game then he could be a real bargain

the most succinct post on a player by far, totally agree, he's gonna be a crowd pleaser, if he wasn't scottish and cost so little money, then the perception of his talent by some of our fans when we signed him may no be so meh, I was chuffed when we got him as even at aberdeen he stood out as a very skilful player, and there's no many of them in scotland, I'm sure everyone understands now though why gerrard pushed the boat out to get him in early
Past couple of times Gerrard has been asked to speak about him (after draw at Piggery and other night) he has been quite understated in his comments - talking about getting Wright physically stronger etc.
It makes me believe the coaching staff see him not as an old-fashioned 'wispy winger' type of player but want him to be able to play more central next season.

Past couple of times Gerrard has been asked to speak about him (after draw at Piggery and other night) he has been quite understated in his comments - talking about getting Wright physically stronger etc.
It makes me believe the coaching staff see him not as an old-fashioned 'wispy winger' type of player but want him to be able to play more central next season.
maybe reading too much into it, but I'm sure there was almost a wee grin on gerrard's face talking about him after the cove game, I agree gerrard doesn't see him as just a winger, and can see gerrard giving wright a licence to roam in the attacking areas, as it's not just his skills that's impressed, but also his natural footballing intelligence, which is just as important, I think the coaching staff knows exactly what they have on their hands, hence why they wanted him in early, also his attitude seems to be spot on, I personally think he has the potential to be a standout player if he keeps doing the right things

maybe reading too much into it, but I'm sure there was almost a wee grin on gerrard's face talking about him after the cove game, I agree gerrard doesn't see him as just a winger, and can see gerrard giving wright a licence to roam in the attacking areas, as it's not just his skills that's impressed, but also his natural footballing intelligence, which is just as important, I think the coaching staff knows exactly what they have on their hands, hence why they wanted him in early, also his attitude seems to be spot on, I personally think he has the potential to be a standout player if he keeps doing the right things
He was being scouted by Rangers for a while before he got cruciate injury in 2019, so I was told. They were determined to get him.

I think wright could be a big player for us, aribo has much more bad games, or rather games that pass him by than he has good games

I think wright could be a big player for us, aribo has much more bad games, or rather games that pass him by than he has good games
I share your optimism for Scott Wright who has showed extremely well thus far.

JA may be regarded by some as a luxury player but, for me and on his day, he is a luxury we cannot afford to do without as he is capable of moments of magic.

Same argument runs on here for a number of our players - they can't / don't all have good games every time.

Last edited:
From what I have seen of him so far in a Rangers Jersey although its been brief I have been absolutely impressed with him. This lad has every chance of going on to have a fine Rangers career, and hes Scottish into the bargain which is always a bonus. We need to start taking a foothold again in being the go to club for Scotlands best young talent.

He definitely looks the part, has a lot of attributes. Gerrard saying they'll be doing more gym work, and work in his decision making in the preseason, so augurs well. The fact that the sheep will be raging that another one of their players becomes a mainstay with Teds, is an added bonus. Gerrard has Wright's back. The guy will do for us.

Why post this? Arfield has been a great player for us since signing. A few off games isn’t the end of the world. He deserves a wee bit of slack.

comments like this really out of order.
Totally disagree with Arfield being a great player for us. His lack of ball skills is all too apparent, as was
so obvious again last night.

Why post this? Arfield has been a great player for us since signing. A few off games isn’t the end of the world. He deserves a wee bit of slack.

comments like this really out of order.
Arfield has been rubbish for months. Even when he had his purple patch it was given far more credit than it deserved. The majority of our slick passing moves break down at Arfield and in Europe he was a passenger. He would be no where near my team next year.

Few people seem to be convinced he isn’t ready for games against Celtic.

They must forget he came on in the game against them at the piggery and we looked the better side shortly after.

I share your optimism for Scott Wright who has showed extremely well thus far.

JA may be regarded by some as a luxury player but, for me and on his day, he is a luxury we cannot afford to do without as he is capable of moments of magic.

Same argument runs on here for a number of our players - they can't / don't all have good games every time.
Aribo has had about 5 good games in his rangers career

Must say, Wright has been a surprise to me, a very welcome addition to the squad but to mention him in the same breath as Aribo at this stage ...c'mon behave.

He starts ahead of Aribo for me

A term a few of the players have used is express yourself. I think that’s what makes our current system so dynamic. SG trusts the players abilities and let’s them go and express themselves whatever way feels right. Hence some of our goals have been terrific. It’s been a joy to watch.

He is a very exciting prospect. I hope with the correct coaching he can become a future Rangers great.

Regards to his finishing, Ronaldo couldn't hit a barn door we with a banjo when he started at Utd, look how he turned out!

I didn’t have an opinion on him prior to him arriving, can’t say I ever really noticed him play. I have been impressed by him, he certainly looks as if he will be a useful player for us.

Way more productive than Aribo.

Aribo started last season on fire and was arguably our best player until he got injured.

I don't think anyone will disagree that he hasn't hit the same heights since he returned from injury.
He is one player who can turn a game in a moment and if the manager decides he's good enough to start then I won't complain. However, Wright has a valid claim for a starting position.

It's a nice problem for the manager to have - 'Who do I start, Aribo or Wright'?

I’ve been impressed with Wrights start as much as anyone but we have people on here saying he reminds them of Cooper and Laudrup.......utter madness

I’ve been impressed with Wrights start as much as anyone but we have people on here saying he reminds them of Cooper and Laudrup.......utter madness
I think you’re missing the point and your outrage misplaced. ‘Reminds them of ‘ is a world of difference from ‘as good as’. Not fair to the player to say some are suggesting the latter. They are not.

Back