Archive Season 2022/23 - The Great Big Bumper Thread of RangersTV Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing at all showed up on the app today. Had to log into the website via Chrome.

Such a poor experience.

And don’t get me started on the constant signing out when you exit the app, the video restarting when you flip to full screen, the bizarre lack of autofill option for password or facial recognition password.

You’d think they’d have squashed the bugs by now. Been 8 months.

The quality for me last night was excellent. Took a while for the picture to come on but never buffered once.
Was using Nord vpn on my Bravia tv browser.

I dunno why folk persist with the App (though I appreciate some folk want to cast). It’s shit. Logout, delete it and forget about it until we have something worthy of the name. Focus on using the website and not only will you have a better experience, you will find it much less stressful pre-match waiting for a Watch Live button to appear - which is getting later and later on the App.

Not sure if already posted, but had a look through the forum and couldn’t see it.
I noticed the Android version of the RTV App updated to 1.5 a few days ago.
I downloaded it from APKPure and tried installing on my Shield, not expecting much. When I tried opening it, the app came on and I was able to log in and play videos with no issues, and they play full screen.
I thought I’d let people know so they can try because I know a lot still have issues watching via browsers on Android TV platform.
Apologies for adding as a new thread but wanted it visible initially, but @DocStone & @Valley Bluenose, I’m happy for you to integrate this into the RTV help thread if you like.

The app is really poor on IOS, full screen doesn’t even work properly
But, I wasn’t talking about the iOS version. My post was about the Android version because I know many people, me included couldn’t side load the new app version like we could with the original.
Since I found this version now does, I posted to let those people know.
I’m aware of the shortcomings of the iOS version, but this thread is not for discussing that version.
Why don’t you contact the developers, like I did about getting it working on Android TV? Who knows? My query, along with the other people I know also raised the issue may have been the reason it now works on that platform.
Try doing something proactive, you may even grow to like it. :rolleyes:

But, I wasn’t talking about the iOS version. My post was about the Android version because I know many people, me included couldn’t side load the new app version like we could with the original.
Since I found this version now does, I posted to let those people know.
I’m aware of the shortcomings of the iOS version, but this thread is not for discussing that version.
Why don’t you contact the developers, like I did about getting it working on Android TV? Who knows? My query, along with the other people I know also raised the issue may have been the reason it now works on that platform.
Try doing something proactive, you may even grow to like it. :rolleyes:
Chill out mate

People will click on this and assume it’s a new update everywhere

Thanks for the heads up. I use a firestick to watch RTV and will try sideloading this on the firestick.

I’m currently using the TVBro browser and the RTV website, but it constantly logs me out and I have to log back in each session, so hopefully this will work better.

Does everyone have to login every time to the RTV android app or is it just me? It's very annoying, only app I've ever come across that does it.

Does everyone have to login every time to the RTV android app or is it just me? It's very annoying, only app I've ever come across that does it.
I disagree mate. I think it’s good that it times out. If anyone tries to login twice they risk getting their Account blocked. The most common occurrence being someone logged in on the App then trying to login on desktop/laptop as well but not logging out of the App first. The obvious reason being it could suggest sharing of login details between friendsl

Thanks for the heads up. I use a firestick to watch RTV and will try sideloading this on the firestick.

I’m currently using the TVBro browser and the RTV website, but it constantly logs me out and I have to log back in each session, so hopefully this will work better.
Thank you for the info @Walkers Loyal very useful. Hopefully the iOS App updates soon as well. The App is, I’m my view, very poor as things stand.

@texascot can you let us know how you get on mate? I have no access to my Fire TV Stick this week so cannot check it out myself.

I disagree mate. I think it’s good that it times out. If anyone tries to login twice they risk getting their Account blocked. The most common occurrence being someone logged in on the App then trying to login on desktop/laptop as well but not logging out of the App first. The obvious reason being it could suggest sharing of login details between friendsl
If every other TV app on the planet has managed to figure out a way to restrict the number of concurrant streams without forcing you to log on every time you open it, then you think the RangersTV app people would figure out that it's a more user friendly solution.

It is a pain in the ass.

Nice one OP will get this loaded onto my Shield.
Only issue that still remains is that the Shield doesn’t ‘see’ the app to allow it to be added to your favourites row, so I still need to access it via the Sideload Launcher app.
I just added the Sideload Launcher to my favourites row and get to it from there.
Not perfect, but still relatively easy to get to quickly.

Unfortunately still the same parsing error on the firestick.
Yeah, I just came back to post about the same issue.
Looks like that although the app is still not officially supported on Android TV, it can be sideloaded and opened now (like the original version), Fire TV OS is still the poor relation.
If anyone has managed to sidestep the parsing error and get it installed on a Firestick I’d be keen to hear from you.

This is great news - will get it on my Shield again. Has been a bit of a pain in the @rse having to stream the game, so I am glad that it is sorted.

Yeah, I just came back to post about the same issue.
Looks like that although the app is still not officially supported on Android TV, it can be sideloaded and opened now (like the original version), Fire TV OS is still the poor relation.
If anyone has managed to sidestep the parsing error and get it installed on a Firestick I’d be keen to hear from you.
I tried via downloader using the Op's link and get the parsing error, also using apps2fire app from my phone which failed at the install which I'm assuming is the parsing error as well. This is on a 4K Fire Stick.

I know the is an Android post ... but i have to log into the iOS version every time!!

does anyone know if you can side load the RTV on an android TV? as that would be handy ...

I tried via downloader using the Op's link and get the parsing error, also using apps2fire app from my phone which failed at the install which I'm assuming is the parsing error as well. This is on a 4K Fire Stick.
Thanks for the info mate. I was going to try app2firestick later too. Looks like it’d be the same issue.

Thanks OP

SIdeloaded a previous version onto a firetv and it was a train wreck, ther aspect ratio was all over the place

Will give this a shot

Not sure if already posted, but had a look through the forum and couldn’t see it.
I noticed the Android version of the RTV App updated to 1.5 a few days ago.
I downloaded it from APKPure and tried installing on my Shield, not expecting much. When I tried opening it, the app came on and I was able to log in and play videos with no issues, and they play full screen.
I thought I’d let people know so they can try because I know a lot still have issues watching via browsers on Android TV platform.
Apologies for adding as a new thread but wanted it visible initially, but @DocStone & @Valley Bluenose, I’m happy for you to integrate this into the RTV help thread if you like.
Worked on my android TV box since launch?

installed it on my phone and then used an app on my phone (Apps2fire) to install it on the fire tv
This would be the app before we changed provider to the new app with StreamAMG, correct?

The app hasn’t worked on the firestick since the first half of last season unfortunately.

If every other TV app on the planet has managed to figure out a way to restrict the number of concurrant streams without forcing you to log on every time you open it, then you think the RangersTV app people would figure out that it's a more user friendly solution.

It is a pain in the ass.
It’s a valid point. However, most other TV Apps - SkyGo would be one example - have a reasonably high limit. I use my mates SkyGo all the time without issue. Netflix allow multiple users but they are all supposed to be in the same household (they generally don’t enforce it though). Rangers can’t afford to do that and have mates sharing login details. Personally I think a warning about multiple logins and refusing to let you login a second time - rather than blocking the Account - would be better. Then you wouldn’t need the timeout on logins. You could then be logged in on your App in perpetuity if you chose but you wouldn’t then be able to login elsewhere without logging out of the App. Login on the App via Touch ID or Facial Recognition would also be a big improvement,

Someone did post the idea that RTV should allow multiple connections provided they are all from the same IP address (same router effectively). No idea if that’s feasible but it might work. That way you could be logged in on the App on your phone when at home and then logged in via the browser on your pc at home at the same time, as they would have the same IP address. Or the kids could be logged in upstairs and you downstairs. Letting you logon at work whilst someone else logs in at the same time elsewhere though has obvious pitfalls.

Personally my own opinion of the App is that it is generally a bag of shite. I’d choose to load the browser over the App every single time. Better experience by far and only a couple of ‘clicks’ more.

Last edited:

It is a pain in the ass.

That’s my biggest gripe also.

I actually began to wonder if there was an issue with my iPad or RTV account, so archaic and ridiculous was the notion of having to sign in, every single time

This would be the app before we changed provider to the new app with StreamAMG, correct?

The app hasn’t worked on the firestick since the first half of last season unfortunately.

No it's the streamamg version 1.3.

I have an A95X MAX with a 2tb internal HDD with Android version 8.1.

Only issue I have had is having to sign in every single time.

Cheers mate, it’s good to hear that’s it’s working on other Android devices.
I don’t know if your box uses Android TV OS like the shield uses because I suspect it was fine on standard Android v 8 but just not optimised for shield Android TV, despite that also running Android 8.

Ah I had asked the poster about installing on a Fire TV. It’s just not possible with StreamAMG and Amazon Fire stick or fire tv devices. Wish Rangers would have a word with app developer as I would happily sign up to Rangers TV unlimited if the app worked. It’s far superior and more stable than watching via web browser on the tv sticks

It’s a valid point. However, most other TV Apps - SkyGo would be one example - have a reasonably high limit. I use my mates SkyGo all the time without issue. Netflix allow multiple users but they are all supposed to be in the same household (they generally don’t enforce it though). Rangers can’t afford to do that and have mates sharing login details. Personally I think a warning about multiple logins and refusing to let you login a second time - rather than blocking the Account - would be better. Then you wouldn’t need the timeout on logins. You could then be logged in on your App in perpetuity if you chose but you wouldn’t then be able to login elsewhere without logging out of the App. Login on the App via Touch ID or Facial Recognition would also be a big improvement,

Someone did post the idea that RTV should allow multiple connections provided they are all from the same IP address (same router effectively). No idea if that’s feasible but it might work. That way you could be logged in on the App on your phone when at home and then logged in via the browser on your pc at home at the same time, as they would have the same IP address. Or the kids could be logged in upstairs and you downstairs. Letting you logon at work whilst someone else logs in at the same time elsewhere though has obvious pitfalls.

Personally my own opinion of the App is that it is generally a bag of shite. I’d choose to load the browser over the App every single time. Better experience by far and only a couple of ‘clicks’ more.
What device you watching on these days mate? I’m still using TV Bro on 4K Fire Stick. Have been to lazy to try out other browsers to check if they are more stable.

Look at spotify. It's basically the same principle. You pay for a single licence and you can watch a single stream. If you try to listen on another device, then it pauses on your first device. Simple.

I have around 4/5 different devices that I want to watch Rangers TV matches on. I want it to be simple, that's all. The App itself is not that bad, it is fairly simple, but how they have implemented a couple of features doesn't make sense and spoils the whole user experience. Continuously having to log on all the time is the main one (I also use a password manager, which means I have a fairly long and complex password and of course this solution (Dashlane - pretty much the market leader, so not difficult to test with), doesn't work to autofill the login screen. Every time I log on I have to manually type my email address, then go over to dashlane, copy the password and then come back to the Rangers app to paste it in). It's really basic stuff.

Don't get me started on casting to Chromecast either! Until recently this never really worked, which leads to me running around like a fool trying other devices to figure out another solution, just before the kick-off. Of course recently I found a solution. Kick it off on my phone, click the cast button, wait till the TV connects and starts streaming, then pause it on the phone (since it is still running for some reason) and then spend the next 5 minutes whatsapping all my mates to wait two minutes before commenting a goal since my stream is now 2 minutes behind the action

Ah I had asked the poster about installing on a Fire TV. It’s just not possible with StreamAMG and Amazon Fire stick or fire tv devices. Wish Rangers would have a word with app developer as I would happily sign up to Rangers TV unlimited if the app worked. It’s far superior and more stable than watching via web browser on the tv sticks

I'm trying to remember how I got it on it now. From memory I sideloaded via phone to the internall HDD (which is removable). I use Aptoide for a lot of apps.

I take it version 1.5 is now on playstore?

Edit: it is and thats probs where I got it before, updating now so will see how it goes!

Last edited:
What device you watching on these days mate? I’m still using TV Bro on 4K Fire Stick. Have been to lazy to try out other browsers to check if they are more stable.
Hi buddy. My normal method is simply via the browser on my desktop. Very rare for me to have an issue. I‘ve had visitors for the last week or so and have been using a laptop hooked up to TV via HDMI and that’s been good as well.

I used my Fire TV Stick, and Silk browser, for a couple of the friendlies and it was decent rather than good. Fire TV Stick is a bit away (different room) from the router so I’m putting it down to that. Was perfectly watchable just not as ‘smooth’. I find Silk fine for streaming games but need to use TV Bro for the videos or face the ‘white bar of death’ problem.:rolleyes:

I‘ve managed to get a VPN on the Fire TV Stick now and it worked first time I trialled it but I now seem to have an issue with the VPN switching off when I go to the browser. Have to do a bit more messing about still to get to the bottom of that.

Did it at the start of last season where a lot of us applied the "£35 quid voucher" we got due to COVID to an RTV subscription

As far as I recall it was the new app, but not sure

Did it at the start of last season where a lot of us applied the "£35 quid voucher" we got due to COVID to an RTV subscription

As far as I recall it was the new app, but not sure
If it was at the start of last season you set up RTV then that would have been the old app which worked like a charm on any platform and device. The new app, which a lot of people have issues with only came out, I believe at the turn of this year, halfway through the season.
Once the new app went live, the old one stopped working because you had to re-register for the new app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back