Serie A Forgotten Players

Guiseppe Giannini.

A Roma legend and a star of Italy's 1990 World Cup team.

A wonderful footballer with film-star looks. Jammy bastard.

Off injured after just 6 minutes of the final.

Claudio Gentile played the complete game.

The person that got subbed early on was Francesco Graziani.

Strange fact Graziani was replaced by Alessandro Altobelli, who then scored and then was then replaced by Franco Causio.

So Altobelli was a sub came on, scored and then was subbed himself, I don't think this has happened before or since in a World Cup Final?

Claudio Gentile played the complete game.

The person that got subbed early on was Francesco Graziani.

Strange fact Graziani was replaced by Alessandro Altobelli, who then scored and then was then replaced by Franco Causio.

So Altobelli was a sub came on, scored and then was subbed himself, I don't think this has happened before or since in a World Cup Final?
You are right. I am getting muddled up.

Antonio Di Natale one of the most underrated strikers in Serie A at the time always thought he could of played for any of the big clubs. Also Nicola Berti cracking midfielder in his pomp also loved a party or two

Used to love watching Italian football on a Sunday with my old man. I always remember watching a Milan Derby up in my room on a old 15" portable with my dad and brother some cracking memories of Italian football growing up. I always wanted to be a goalie growing up so loved watching Angelo Peruzzi and Gianluca Pagliuca

A honourable mention for Romeo Benetti. I saw him play against us in Turin in 1978. Absolute shocker of a tackle on Gordon Smith and was immediately subbed by Trappatoni. We lost 1-0 via a goal by Pietro Virdis.

Romeo Benetti’s behaviour when warming up as a substitute at Ibrox earned my total respect for the man. A hard player but, on the night of one of The Rangers greatest victories, an extremely fair player.

Always remember Battistuta for Fiorentina, Signori was class too. Enrico Chiesa, Vincenzo Montella. Serie A used to be superb back in the channel 4 days.

Enzo Francescoli.Was once voted greatest Uruguayan player in history which isn't bad considering they won the World Cup twice.
Alessandro Melli.Goalscoring machine at a time when we could realistically buy Italian strikers.Sadly we never got him.

Zidanes hero !!!! He must’ve been pretty good eh

The Parama team we beat had a good few Serie A stars and included Lilian Thuram, seen him play a few times in the flesh for club and country, outstanding player.

Farbizio Ravenelli. The silver fox himself.

I remember being gobsmacked when Middlesbrough managed to sign him. Top class at Juve where I seem to remember him in a ‘supersub’ role.

Used to love Football Italia, though I remember a lot of the games being dull war of attrition affairs with team cancelling each other out.

Zvonimir Boban another class act from that era.

Farbizio Ravenelli. The silver fox himself.

I remember being gobsmacked when Middlesbrough managed to sign him. Top class at Juve where I seem to remember him in a ‘supersub’ role.

Used to love Football Italia, though I remember a lot of the games being dull war of attrition affairs with team cancelling each other out.

Zvonimir Boban another class act from that era.
You must've been mindfucked when he signed for Dundee

Adriano at Inter was a beast in his prime, seems to had a severe fall from grace.

His is a very sad story, struggled with depression and drugs following his father's sudden death. I read an interview by zanetti a while back and he describes in detail how he became a shadow of his former self.

Here's part of the article, it is worth a read
https://www.90min.com/posts/5359807...the-biggest-defeat-of-his-own-football-career

And this is a good clip, it quick summary and also some high praise from zlatan.

Last edited:
Careca, Alemao, Ferrara, Fonseca and Carnevale at Napoli

Some wee Argie also played for them around this time but his name escapes me :)

Last edited:
Back