Should we sign Shankland from Ayr?

Should we approach Ayr to sign Shankland

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Zak Rudden scored 13 compared to Shankland's 24 in a team that's been struggling all season.

I'd rather we gave Rudden the chance if I'm being honest.

Don't know much about the lad. If he is free and on low wages its pretty low risk and we can always loan him out, however, maybe we should be looking at our own young lads Rudden, Hardie, Dallas etc and giving them a chance.

He needs to move to a higher standard of club than he is at now For example killie. If he's doing the business after a season or 2 then yes. He will have proven to have upped his game and may well do so again.

What’s all this “low cost risk” horse shit I keep reading?

This is a huge season for us.
Never mind tiar, we don’t want nine.

As contradictory as it sounds we can’t afford low cost risks.

Certain times some FF Footie Managers get a hardon for a player, normally a not very good one, and will until they are blue in the face tell us he will "do a job" has massive "potential" "can't do any worse" ETC ETC, it happened with Aaron , Gow, Matt McKay, Goodwillie and plenty others.

In reality, Shankland has done nothing to warrant a club like us buying him, let alone for him to be considered for the first team.

It is a no for me, and it will still be a no in a few years when hes banging them in for Peterhead.

Low risk potential high rewards. Look at Morelos, he was only playing in Finland when we signed him and look how that turned out.

You think Shankland would get near the Colombia squad(withstanding nationality), nevermind the Tartan fvckwits ?

54e34.jpg

He’s been out on loan at a higher level than Ayr Utd a couple of times.
No goals in 17 at Sheep.
No goals in 17 in his second spell with St Mirren.

No thanks.

He is 22 now. He was a youngster at Aberdeen who despite not scoring, still got picked 17 times. You are also ignoring his 1 in 3 rate over 30 odd games for St Mirren the season before. Players improve, their attributes at 18 or so are not their attributes at 22, or 25. He would not be coming in to play for us, he would be coming in to go out on loan.

If we were looking at next season with at least 2 quality strikers in place then i might have been a yes, but if this is with a view to him being maybe a 20 game a season player, then its a no from me.

Don’t remember that one. Thankfully it never came off. File under lucky misses along with Goodwillie and Jamie Walker
Correct.
We were quoted £4 million for Goodwillie, absolutely frightening to think McCoist was willing to pay that if CW had the funds.

He is 22 now. He was a youngster at Aberdeen who despite not scoring, still got picked 17 times. You are also ignoring his 1 in 3 rate over 30 odd games for St Mirren the season before. Players improve, their attributes at 18 or so are not their attributes at 22, or 25. He would not be coming in to play for us, he would be coming in to go out on loan.
The no goals in 17 for St Boo was his most recent spell, but 10 in 31 is hardly earth shattering for his first spell.

Or maybe I should have said 10 in 48 overall, either it’s piss poor.

I just think the whole thing has a touch of Nicky Clark about it.

He's 24 in a few months.

He won't be coming to us, full stop.

He needs to move to a higher standard of club than he is at now For example killie. If he's doing the business after a season or 2 then yes. He will have proven to have upped his game and may well do so again.

Then it will cost a lot more money.

The higher standard might be in England and then it will cost far too much money.

Must admit im not quite sure what the difference is between doing very well for Ayr and playing for Killie or Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell etc.

Certain times some FF Footie Managers get a hardon for a player, normally a not very good one, and will until they are blue in the face tell us he will "do a job" has massive "potential" "can't do any worse" ETC ETC, it happened with Aaron , Gow, Matt McKay, Goodwillie and plenty others.

In reality, Shankland has done nothing to warrant a club like us buying him, let alone for him to be considered for the first team.

It is a no for me, and it will still be a no in a few years when hes banging them in for Peterhead.

Well he has done something, hes scored a lot of goals in scottish football and some have been terrific goals, thats why we are talking about him. And hes a supporter which is always a bonus.

For those saying it's only the championship, there's not that much difference between top half championship and bottom six spfl. Ayr went to dens park earlier in the season and beat Dundee 3-0 with shankland scoring twice.

Would of said yes in Jan because we were desperate for a striker had Sadiq and the boy was banging them in.

After signing Defoe and seeing some of the names linked this summer i honestly cant see this one happening.

Not for me

For those saying it's only the championship, there's not that much difference between top half championship and bottom six spfl. Ayr went to dens park earlier in the season and beat Dundee 3-0 with shankland scoring twice.
There's a massive difference.

Went to an Ayr game with my mate who is an Ayr fan. Shankland looked about a yard off the pace and wasn't impressive at all. However, he was just coming back from injury, so maybe wasn't the best match to judge him on.

Not sure if Shankland is the answer, but I do think we're a bit too snobbish about signing Scottish players on here. For me his goal record says he's at least worth sending a scout to watch.

The higher standard might be in England and then it will cost far too much money.

Must admit im not quite sure what the difference is between doing very well for Ayr and playing for Killie or Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell etc.

Well he has done something, hes scored a lot of goals in scottish football and some have been terrific goals, thats why we are talking about him. And hes a supporter which is always a bonus.

That's fair enough. Perhaps we buy him and loan him to said clubs then.

I would say the difference is a whole division tbh. Killie, hearts, hibs and Aberdeen must be a step up from playing clubs in the championship no?

It doesn't warrant us signing him.

few years ago Billy McKay was scoring for fun the SPFL, Michael Higdon the same, Nicky Clark in the lower leagues, these things sometimes happen it doesn't mean a club our size should be on the hunt for these players, there are levels in football.

Lets look further than a league as poor as the Scottish Championship.

We will sign far far better than Shankland this summer, on 3 or 4 levels above him.

Low cost and low risk of it didn’t work out.
Earlier in the season I was all for trying to get him on board; now a bit more undecided as we get closer to season end and see the speculation as to which strikers we could be linked with.
Would also like to see Hardie get a chance and also Rudden in a year or two if he continues his impressive development.

It doesn't warrant us signing him.

few years ago Billy McKay was scoring for fun the SPFL, Michael Higdon the same, Nicky Clark in the lower leagues, these things sometimes happen it doesn't mean a club our size should be on the hunt for these players, there are levels in football.

Lets look further than a league as poor as the Scottish Championship.

We will sign far far better than Shankland this summer, on 3 or 4 levels above him.

But we could name shit foreign players that couldnt do the business in Scotland, they also have to settle in and deal with the physical side of our game which Shankland will know all about already.

Its not all about levels its about finding bargins and getting good value for money.

The way this lads smashes them in suggests hes not gonna be a championship player for long.

His drop in form since the turn of the year would suggest that he might struggle with performing at a bigger club given that since the speculation appears to have effected him

Is Shanklin any better than Zak Rudden, or Mebude or McPake. Signing him would only give these players a less of a chance to get near to the first team
Came on to say exactly the same. We need a pathway for our Academy players. I will however trust the judgement of our Management and Scouting Team.

Back