Souness on the comparison between him and Gerrard

Neither did Gerrard, however Gerrard is responsible for stopping 10iar,an invincible season, our best ever points total in a league season and restoring our pride in Europe.
This all day. Don’t care how he left, the job he has done for us I will always thank him for. From the team he took over finishing behind a poor Aberdeen team in the league to now is unbelievable and in a few years time when people have chilled out a bit he will get the recognition he deserves.

Souness left us with about 4 games to go in a very close league season. Gerrard left before a cup semi.

I remember the Souness departure very well, the bitterness around Gerrard is nowhere near how people felt towards Souness and what he did.

We all mellow with time and Souness is now back to hero status, Gerrard will get the same.
Souness didn't leave us with four games to go, he wanted to see the season out but was forced out the door.
The bitterness back then is the same as it is now.
Niave and immature.
Football is a profession and supporters need to understand why professionals are driven by different imperatives.
Hard as it is to take sometimes, this is how life is.

Souness also never left us right before a cup final and having players now openly telling people that the manager wasn’t present at training for a month
What players have been saying this and to who? I’ve not heard anything like he wasn’t at training for a month, If so then he should have been disciplined by the board, didn’t hear anything like that happening either.

Souness left us with about 4 games to go in a very close league season. Gerrard left before a cup semi.

I remember the Souness departure very well, the bitterness around Gerrard is nowhere near how people felt towards Souness and what he did.

We all mellow with time and Souness is now back to hero status, Gerrard will get the same.
I agree with what your saying about gerrard and people need to get a grip, he left us 4 points ahead it was a perfect time to leave, there's always a game of huge importance, he had lost focus but he had been here almost 3 1/2 years, who knows maybe there was good reason for being home alot . Getting back to the souness part he was asked twice before to go to Liverpool he declined until they came back a 3rd time, by this time souness and the sfa were constantly at war, souness was far too big a personality for them and they were banning him for anything they could, souness wanted to go at the eos murray said 'go now' and the rest is history.

The way I remember it.

He wanted to stay until the end of the season but David Murray told him you want to leave.

Just go now.

I’m happy to have good memories from both managers.

Souness didn't leave us with four games to go, he wanted to see the season out but was forced out the door.
Niave and immature.
Football is a profession and supporters need to understand why professionals are driven by different imperatives.
I was about 13 when Souness left, so I will allow myself being naive and immature to be fair.

He wasn’t forced out the door, he made it clear his future was elsewhere, and under those circumstances he had to go.

Souness didn’t leave he was told to go, he wanted to stay until the season was done unlike Gerrard.

There was plenty bitterness towards Souness.

What succession plan are you talking about?
Aye, was wondering what this succession plan was, can't have been Walter taking his place as he wanted Walter to go to Liverpool with him. Thankfully the great man said no and the rest is history.

I was about 13 when Souness left, so I will allow myself being naive and immature to be fair.

He wasn’t forced out the door, he made it clear his future was elsewhere, and under those circumstances he had to go.
Walter Smith was given an entire season knowing he would leave at the end of it.
Souness had agreed to take a new job and leave a short time later at a decent time when that season's job was finished.
This is the grown up workplace.
Murray behaved like a spoiled child.
But then we all now know that Murray was a rat.
13 year old's understand fckall about grown up things so I suppose you get a pass on that.

Niave and immature.
Precisely...and that's why even the most unlikely events happen in professional football (like Mo Johnstone signing for Rangers for example).
All footballers, managers and coaches have a team that's close to their heart but their job, like every other single one of us, takes priority over the football team you support.
I'm quite sure that once the dust settles, "an evening with Stevie Gerrard in The Louden" will still be a sellout like the Graeme Souness ones!

He did want to see out the season from memory. Murray told him he was leaving right away.

Walter Smith was given an entire season knowing he would leave at the end of it.
Souness had agreed to take a new job and leave a short time later at a decent time when that season's job was finished.
This is the grown up workplace.
Murray behaved like a spoiled child.
But then we all now know that Murray was a rat.
13 year old's understand fckall about grown up things so I suppose you get a pass on that.
I remember the first Smith ‘farewell’ season, and we lost ten in a row.

I’m not a fan of people staying on once they have announced they are going, destabilises it even more when it is the manager.

None. Because its a lie.

It’s not a lie. Beale was taking the majority of training this season and last. There was no issue made of it last year because we had success in the league. It’s then natural people make a big deal out of it this season because we’d been so poor.

Sourness was staring down the barrel of a 2 year touchline ban and was going to the club he made his name. Gerrard went to Villa. I know which one I understand better

Souness also never left us right before a cup final and having players now openly telling people that the manager wasn’t present at training for a month
This is hilarious. Souness arguably left us at a worse time you mentalist. Both of them did wonderful things for our club. We move and respect the place in our history both of them have

I remember the first Smith ‘farewell’ season, and we lost ten in a row.

I’m not a fan of people staying on once they have announced they are going, destabilises it even more when it is the manager.
It isn't at all unusual in any profession.
Murray behaved like a tit over Souness.
But Murray was a wrong 'un.

Who's been openly telling folk that? Ive not seen anything and folk saying that, no doubt it would have made the media somewhere. Sounds like bitter nonsense in all honesty.

I do not remember bitterness toward Souness.
He left for the one club we knew he would.
He also offered to stay and see the season out.
He left a succession plan behind and a very able one at that.
What was that? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just wasn't aware of that before.

Sourness was staring down the barrel of a 2 year touchline ban and was going to the club he made his name. Gerrard went to Villa. I know which one I understand better
Souness was under fire in Scotland from numerous directions.
He was the focus for all the hatreds aimed at Rangers.
He was also on the verge of serious heart illness.
However he had insisted to Liverpool that he would stay at Ibrox until that season was finished because he wanted to make the break respectful.
Murray's reaction was kneejerk and quite honestly we were lucky that we had Walter to get us over the line.

Right now with Gerrard, I don’t have strong feelings either way. I think he’s made a mistake leaving but I would say that, we all would. But he did well for us, it was mutually beneficial.

I have huge admiration now for Souness, but he has had the chance to ‘redeem’ himself for leaving the way he did. He has been involved with Rangers again at various points, and never fails to pin his colours to the mast. Whether it was his choice for him to go before the end or the season or not, he seems to have made a concerted effort over the years to make it clear he is a Rangers man. I feel he made a mistake beck then too.

I’m not sure Steven Gerrard will ever elevate himself from the place he is in my mind, but unless he starts to badmouth us, he will have no resentment from me. I’m a bit lukewarm with him now, and that’s sad, because he could have been so much more.

And I think there are similarities between the two however Gerrard will never be a Souness.

Well covered above.
He didn't then, because he wanted Walter with him. I'm not really an expert on Souness' time at Rangers, but looking at his career overall I don't think he was a great manager, and I don't Gerrard will be one either. The man we have now is better, as was Walter with Souness.

He didn't then, because he wanted Walter with him. I'm not really an expert on Souness' time at Rangers, but looking at his career overall I don't think he was a great manager, and I don't Gerrard will be one either. The man we have now is better, as was Walter with Souness.
Given my opinion/answer on that already too , Walter was going nowhere.

It’s not a lie. Beale was taking the majority of training this season and last. There was no issue made of it last year because we had success in the league. It’s then natural people make a big deal out of it this season because we’d been so poor.
Aye, Gerrard wasn't at training for a month. Think about it ffs.

Souness was under fire in Scotland from numerous directions.
He was the focus for all the hatreds aimed at Rangers.
He was also on the verge of serious heart illness.
However he had insisted to Liverpool that he would stay at Ibrox until that season was finished because he wanted to make the break respectful.
Murray's reaction was kneejerk and quite honestly we were lucky that we had Walter to get us over the line.
I think murray always knew he had walter and knew he was ready, that's why I think he told souness to go and clear the decks so to speak.

There was a lot of bitterness towards him at the time.
There was no social media back then, fans were angry but it was more being concerned with the outcome of the last three games, one of them which we lost 3 nil v motherwell which put us in 2nd place to aberdeen

Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Late to the thread but I’ll confirm this. I was told 2 years ago that things weren’t great behind closed doors, Gerrard was never there.

I think murray always knew he had walter and knew he was ready, that's why I think he told souness to go and clear the decks so to speak.
No I don't think that was the case.
Murray spat the dummy out.
Everytime I feel any hatred towards the Spivs I always remember that Murray caused the entire fiasco.
He vandalised a decade of our club's history.
A fckn decade!

It isn't at all unusual in any profession.
Murray behaved like a tit over Souness.
But Murray was a wrong 'un.
I see it in my own workplace, they will make people work out their notice, you get a serious diminishing returns issue from them. I think it is a bigger issue in a company where you are the central figure. It tends to be why senior leaders can exit immediately from a business, or with a very short handover period.

I see it in my own workplace, they will make people work out their notice, you get a serious diminishing returns issue from them. I think it is a bigger issue in a company where you are the central figure. It tends to be why senior leaders can exit immediately from a business, or with a very short handover period.
It depends on the professional and how driven they are.
There is no way on God's earth that Souness wasn't going to drive his Rangers team onto the Championship that season.
Maybe as a 13 year old you didn't understand the man but Souness was a hard bitten professional winner who didn't do diminishing returns.

Back