Steven Gerrard

He doesn't need an invite. He's welcome anytime. He gave us a time we never thought we'd see again just when we needed it and also laid the foundations in terms of the players he left us with for that run to seville.

From where he picked us up, to where he put us down, you'd be hard pushed to find a better improvement in a whole club anywhere.

The final round of Saudi fixtures for this season is scheduled for May 27th, which is the same weekend as the Scottish Cup Final so it's unlikely that we could get Gerrard to a game this season.

Hopefully it happens though. It'd be great to see him back even just for a visit.

If/when he comes back we should get a massive long plastic sheet from one end of the pitch to the other, soaked in baby oil so he can run and slide all the way on his stomach and end up facing the UB's with a massive fist pump at the end :))

Scenes!

Steven-Gerrard.gif

Was just thinking the other day it’s been a couple of weeks since the last Gerrard thread.

No harm to the guy, thanks for 55 and giving us a bit of pride back, but reckon it’s probably time to let him go. Rather see Gio back as an apology for the shoddy treatment he was given.

Was just thinking the other day it’s been a couple of weeks since the last Gerrard thread.

No harm to the guy, thanks for 55 and giving us a bit of pride back, but reckon it’s probably time to let him go. Rather see Gio back as an apology for the shoddy treatment he was given.
They’re not mutually exclusive, they can both come back as far as I’m concerned.

55 and that run to Seville were two of the highlights of my lifetime supporting Rangers.

Because of the manner of his leaving, it might still be a while before he gets full credit for his incredible achievement in restoring European credibility and winning 55 undefeated.

They’re not mutually exclusive, they can both come back as far as I’m concerned.

55 and that run to Seville were two of the highlights of my lifetime supporting Rangers.
I agree, but you don’t get regular threads pining for Gio or gushing over him. It’s more the opposite in fact, he’s not really talked about in glowing terms where SG absolutely is. Just always feel the regular fawning that still occurs makes us look small time. Like fans that still can’t comprehend that such a big name in British football graced our wee club. That’s what it feels like anyway.

Just FYI, I’m saying Gio isn’t shown anywhere near the same respect, and that’s with him having steered the club to a Euro final, won a Scottish Cup beating them on route, qualifying us for the CL (the only one to manage it since 2012) and not bullshitting the fans either. He was probably the most poorly backed of recent managers too.

The threads about Gerrard.
Doesn't need to be 1 or the other.
Both would get a great reception.

He was exactly what we needed at that time. I think he left at the right time too.
Strongly disagree with that.

The first 3-5 years in management's tends to be the biggest learning curves for managers. I think he still had a lot to learn and experience before leaving to a tougher challenge.

Even if he'd stayed the rest of that season to win 56, he'd have been much better prepared for a top Premier League job.

Strongly disagree with that.

The first 3-5 years in management's tends to be the biggest learning curves for managers. I think he still had a lot to learn and experience before leaving to a tougher challenge.

Even if he'd stayed the rest of that season to win 56, he'd have been much better prepared for a top Premier League job.
I bet he’d say the same with the power of hindsight. There’s no way he’s sitting at his no make club in the camel league with no hope of ever getting near the Liverpool job and thinking he made the right choice to take on a Premier League gig when he did.

I agree, but you don’t get regular threads pining for Gio or gushing over him. It’s more the opposite in fact, he’s not really talked about in glowing terms where SG absolutely is. Just always feel the regular fawning that still occurs makes us look small time. Like fans that still can’t comprehend that such a big name in British football graced our wee club. That’s what it feels like anyway.

Just FYI, I’m saying Gio isn’t shown anywhere near the same respect, and that’s with him having steered the club to a Euro final, won a Scottish Cup beating them on route, qualifying us for the CL (the only one to manage it since 2012) and not bullshitting the fans either. He was probably the most poorly backed of recent managers too.
It's possible to respect the job that both did for the club. I think Gio doesn't get as much respect due to his record against Celtic however you are correct regarding the Scottish Cup and Champions League aswell as performing miracles to get us to a European final.

He gave us a competitive Rangers at a time where we were nothing more than a basket case. Not to mention the kickstarting of our most successful period of European results. Aye, the cup record was poor, and the manner of his departure stung, but it’s done now. I’ll not say a word against him, always welcome back in my book.

Plus he was cool as %^*&

Don't agree with the first part, he stays then we win the title easily again I'm sure.

He's still welcome back anytime though.
I don't think that's true. His heart didn't seem to be in it from the off the season he left. And for all the talk of Gio blowing a lead at the top of the league, Gio actually averaged a slightly higher points per game than Gerrard did before he left that season. We were also struggling badly in Europe, so not only am I not convinced we'd have won the league, I'm not sure we'd even have got out our EL group, far less reached the final. Gerrard was brilliant for us, but I agree with @Battlefield Bear that he left at the right time.

Back