Steven Gerrard

I don't think that's true. His heart didn't seem to be in it from the off the season he left. And for all the talk of Gio blowing a lead at the top of the league, Gio actually averaged a slightly higher points per game than Gerrard did before he left that season. We were also struggling badly in Europe, so not only am I not convinced we'd have won the league, I'm not sure we'd even have got out our EL group, far less reached the final. Gerrard was brilliant for us, but I agree with @Battlefield Bear that he left at the right time.
Gerrard had already beaten fat Ange, Gio was an absolute disaster against them, Gerrard was well ahead in league and clearly had the measure of the filth, there isn't a hope in hell we would have capitulated at the Piggery under SG.

We would have won the league by 12-15 points, 100% convinced of that.

I agree, but you don’t get regular threads pining for Gio or gushing over him. It’s more the opposite in fact, he’s not really talked about in glowing terms where SG absolutely is. Just always feel the regular fawning that still occurs makes us look small time. Like fans that still can’t comprehend that such a big name in British football graced our wee club. That’s what it feels like anyway.

Just FYI, I’m saying Gio isn’t shown anywhere near the same respect, and that’s with him having steered the club to a Euro final, won a Scottish Cup beating them on route, qualifying us for the CL (the only one to manage it since 2012) and not bullshitting the fans either. He was probably the most poorly backed of recent managers too.
I don’t want to make it a Gio v Gerrard debate, but will try and explain why I think there’s a difference.

Gerrard inherited the biggest bin fire any manager of ours has in the top division. We were lightyears behind Celtic and realistically even behind Aberdeen. He galvanised the entire club and support from top to bottom. We went on a 3 year journey with a fair share of failure but everyone could sense that the third season was us reaching a turning point. The European performances and 8 Old Firm games unbeaten really helped to convince me we were on the right track, despite a dismal cup record.

Gio arguably left us in worse shape than he found us. He gave us some unforgettable nights, but we’re still recovering from his transfer dealings. I’m not having it that he was completely blameless and it was all Ross Wilson like some others claim. He was the manager and if he didn’t want the players, then he should’ve walked if the goal posts were being moved on him. His refusal to use players like Sakala and Ridvan didn’t help him. The feeling amongst the support in the games v Livi and St Johnstone in Oct/Nov 2022 was toxic and he needed to leave. He was an expert in knockout tournaments and it showed. That 6 week period in April/May 2022 was my favourite as a Rangers supporter.

I don’t pine for Gerrard back. I think we’ve moved on and have a better manager now than either him or Gio, but Gerrard probably gets fawned over more because he left us in a much improved position from when he arrived and he showed passion and had gravitas in spades.

On a side note, I wonder if the thought had crossed his mind what might have been had he just held his nerve at us. If he’d stuck out another 18 months or so then he could’ve seriously been in the running for the Liverpool job, but he jumped too early and now he’s in the wilderness.

Last edited:
I don’t want to make it a Gio v Gerrard debate, but will try and explain why I think there’s a difference.

Gerrard inherited the biggest bin fire any manager of ours has in the top division. We were lightyears behind Celtic and realistically even behind Aberdeen. He galvanised the entire club and support from top to bottom. We went on a 3 year journey with a fair share of failure but everyone could sense that the third season was us reaching a turning point. The European performances and 8 Old Firm games unbeaten really helped to convince me we were on the right track, despite a dismal cup record.

Gio arguably left us in worse shape than he found us. He gave us some unforgettable nights, but we’re still recovering. His refusal to use players like Sakala and Ridvan didn’t help him. The feeling amongst the support in the games v Livi and St Johnstone in Oct/Nov 2022 was toxic and he needed to leave. He was an expert in knockout tournaments and it showed. That 6 week period in April/May 2022 was my favourite as a Rangers supporter.

I don’t pine for Gerrard back. I think we’ve moved on and have a better manager now than either him or Gio, but Gerrard probably gets fawned over more because he left us in a much improved position from when he arrived and he showed passion and had gravitas in spades.

On a side note, I wonder if the thought had crossed his mind what might have been had he just held his nerve at us. If he’d stuck out another 18 months or so then he could’ve seriously been in the running for the Liverpool job, but he jumped too early and now he’s in the wilderness.
I'm not sure he could've jumped from the Rangers job to Liverpool. Both clubs are huge with a massive demand for success from a fanatical fan base however their is a world of difference from the Scottish top flight to the English top flight although Villa was definitely the wrong move for him.

I'm not sure he could've jumped from the Rangers job to Liverpool. Both clubs are huge with a massive demand for success from a fanatical fan base however their is a world of difference from the Scottish top flight to the English top flight although Villa was definitely the wrong move for him.
Postecoglu went from Celtic to Tottenham.

Liverpool pre Klopp were dealing with managerial heavy weights such as Brendan Rodgers, Roy Hodgson and a retired Kenny Dalglish.

A Liverpool legend (hypothetically) coming off the back of a run of titles and good European performances over a 5-6 year period at us would 100% be in the running for it, especially if Klopp was to endorse him.

Even now they’re looking at an ex club legend still very green in his managerial career with no trophies to his name yet, despite managing at a higher level.

Liverpool pre Klopp were dealing with managerial heavy weights such as Brendan Rodgers, Roy Hodgson and a retired Kenny Dalglish.

A Liverpool legend (hypothetically) coming off the back of a run of titles and good European performances over a 5-6 year period at us would 100% be in the running for it, especially if Klopp was to endorse him.
Agree with this, Gerrard was/is a godlike figure to everyone connected to Liverpool, I don't just think he would have been in the running, I think he would have got the job 100% if he had stayed with us and won another few titles.

There are real parallels between Souness and Gerrard.
Both Liverpool legends, fantastic midfield players and leaders who guided their club to European success.
Both managed us at a young age and dragged us out of mediocrity back to where we belong.
They also both left us as they thought they'd go on to bigger and better things, and probably both realised they'd made a mistake in doing so.

Following Souness we got a 'proper' manager in Walter Smith, who led us to years of success.
Following Gerrard (after a couple of false starts in Gio and Beale) we have another 'proper' manager in Philippe Clement, who has started the ball rolling in getting us back to being regular winners again. I hope he can be as successful as Smith.

Gerrard had already beaten fat Ange, Gio was an absolute disaster against them, Gerrard was well ahead in league and clearly had the measure of the filth, there isn't a hope in hell we would have capitulated at the Piggery under SG.

Quite a few teams beat Fat Ange early that season. In fact, I think it was their worst start to a season in a long time and really, we should have been much further ahead. We dropped 9 points in our first 11 games - same as we did this season to put that in perspective. Unfortunately they got their shit together and we didn't, nor did we look likely to under Gerrard at that point. All about opinions.

Quite a few teams beat Fat Ange early that season. In fact, I think it was their worst start to a season in a long time and really, we should have been much further ahead. We dropped 9 points in our first 11 games - same as we did this season to put that in perspective. Unfortunately they got their shit together and we didn't, nor did we look likely to under Gerrard at that point. All about opinions.
Gerrard was on a long unbeaten run against the unwashed, he clearly had the measure of them and was well clear?

There isn't earthly it all of a sudden flips and he suffers defeat after defeat and several capitulations against them like what happened under Gio.

Gio only beat them once, in the semi at Hampden and even then we were very fortunate that Carter Vickers hits the bar when it was easier to score, that puts them 2 up and it's game over.

He turned us around and made us dream of possibilities in Europe.
We got suckered in that Slavia Prague game in 20-21.

The Malmo debacle was the only lasting stain . I think that's what ultimately put him in another direction.
Nonetheless, in 21-22 we were clear at the top, would have beaten Hibs in the league cup semi, and would never have surrendered anything to Celtic - every chamce by end Jan we would have had the League Cup, top of the League and a Euro campaign to look forward to.
Ultimately, we will always find it hard to retain top managers in this country - with its plastic pitches, licensed thuggery on the park, refereeing shambles ( and Gerrard witnessed a few).Not least the big 2 syndrome and the lower wages .

I’ve been on many a Gerrard thread fighting his corner against posters throwing their toys out the pram about the way he left and even arguing he didn’t do a good job at Rangers.

The fact this thread is 99.99% positive comments is proof all will be forgotten through time and he quite rightly will be held in very high regard by our support for the incredible job he did.

Stevie G brought back the Battle Fever!

Even now they’re looking at an ex club legend still very green in his managerial career with no trophies to his name yet, despite managing at a higher level.
I'd love to see Gerrard achieve his dream of managing Liverpool and wouldn't completely write him off for achieving that dream. I think Klopp has taken Liverpool to a higher level than those managers you mentioned and I think Liverpool will be looking at bigger leagues than the SPFL when looking for Klopp's replacement.

I’ve been on many a Gerrard thread fighting his corner against posters throwing their toys out the pram about the way he left and even arguing he didn’t do a good job at Rangers.

The fact this thread is 99.99% positive comments is proof all will be forgotten through time and he quite rightly will be held in very high regard by our support for the incredible job he did.

Stevie G brought back the Battle Fever!
There's many that were angry in the way he left however I'm sure they'd all agree in just how important winning 55 was for the club and us as fans.

Could we see him back for a 2nd spell at some point?
Not for me thanks.

He did what he was here to do, and in all honesty, he hasn't exactly excelled since he left.

I think he was a hungry young manager who wanted to prove himself and in Rangers he found a club that could give him the type of platform he needed to do that.

Judging by how he has fared since he left, I don't think he could have taken us much further. I see much more progress under Clement who, imo of course, is on another level to Gerrard (in management terms).

Not for me thanks.

He did what he was here to do, and in all honesty, he hasn't exactly excelled since he left.

I think he was a hungry young manager who wanted to prove himself and in Rangers he found a club that could give him the type of platform he needed to do that.

Judging by how he has fared since he left, I don't think he could have taken us much further. I see much more progress under Clement who, imo of course, is on another level to Gerrard (in management terms).
Yeah I'm not fussed on him returning either but once Clement moves on, hopefully with a rake of trophies, if available he'd surely be discussed. Failing at Villa could be a blessing for us. A successful manager that the Premiership aren't interested in would be the dream

Gio arguably left us in worse shape than he found us. He gave us some unforgettable nights, but we’re still recovering from his transfer dealings. I’m not having it that he was completely blameless and it was all Ross Wilson like some others claim. He was the manager and if he didn’t want the players, then he should’ve walked if the goal posts were being moved on him. His refusal to use players like Sakala and Ridvan didn’t help him. The feeling amongst the support in the games v Livi and St Johnstone in Oct/Nov 2022 was toxic and he needed to leave. He was an expert in knockout tournaments and it showed. That 6 week period in April/May 2022 was my favourite as a Rangers supporter.

I’m not talking about you specifically though. By the way I don’t think it’s fair to pin all the transfer dealings on Gio either when Wilson will have had a lot to do with it, and let’s face it, for what he had achieved he wasn’t backed particularly well. Under Gerrard we got cuffed in the league 2 out of 3 times too and were already on the slide when he snuck off, and the less said about the cup record the better. By the way im not saying Gio is all blameless, clearly he isn’t, but then you don’t see many talking about Gerrard’s routine failure against SPL jobbers in cup competition.

Now clearly he made significant improvements and no one will hold that first season against him, but his record overall isn’t really what you’d imagine for an ex manager who’s still gets regular fawning threads and who left in the manner he did. That’s because (for me anyway) the difference is the name and the standing in British football, you just need to look at the thread from when he was appointed to see that. No experience but we were all giddy because of his name and because he was a Premier League legend.

Just as an example of what I’m saying, look a little bit above and you’ve got someone giving him the credit for Seville, which was Gio’s achievement. We were actually heading out of the Europa at the group stage under SG. Did people go “aye but let’s remember what Dick” after Eck won a treble? Did they %^*&! Anyway regardless of all this he certainly deserves to be welcomed back, but maybe not in the way some might want (the regular threads have me thinking we’ll have folk petitioning for a guard of honour and commemorative plaque).

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not fussed on him returning either but once Clement moves on, hopefully with a rake of trophies, if available he'd surely be discussed. Failing at Villa could be a blessing for us. A successful manager that the Premiership aren't interested in would be the dream
His record against celtic alone would likely bring him into the discussion however he'll be on crazy money in Saudi that we just couldn't compete with. I'm sure I read somewhere that he's currently the 3rd highest paid manager in world football although I'm not convinced that's true.

No way should that ever be allowed to happen. We’re now in a position where we ought to be above his level. If we ever look at bringing him back then somethings went wrong somewhere.
Did we not bring Beale back as apparently he was the brains behind 55 according to some.

Gerrard was on a long unbeaten run against the unwashed, he clearly had the measure of them and was well clear?

There isn't earthly it all of a sudden flips and he suffers defeat after defeat and several capitulations against them like what happened under Gio.

Gio only beat them once, in the semi at Hampden and even then we were very fortunate that Carter Vickers hits the bar when it was easier to score, that puts them 2 up and it's game over.
Really? Who’s a better manager, Neil Lennon or Ange Postecoglu?

There’s one of your biggest differences right there.

His record against celtic alone would likely bring him into the discussion however he'll be on crazy money in Saudi that we just couldn't compete with. I'm sure I read somewhere that he's currently the 3rd highest paid manager in world football although I'm not convinced that's true.
Keep dreaming pal. You’d have had him back in the hot seat even ahead of Clement or any other candidates who were more qualified.

Did we not bring Beale back as apparently he was the brains behind 55 according to some.
Yeah what’s that got to do with anything though? Truth is I don’t know why anyone ever thought the brains behind 1 bit of silverware in 3 and a bit years was some sort of valid qualification for the Rangers job anyway.

He took us to levels in Europe that I used to dream we would do, but seldom did.
In fact he raised our profile so high, that only two weeks ago UEFA were concerned we would be in Dublin for the final!
55 surpasses any upset from his leaving.
That’s a very good point, that us being in another final was a realistic outcome

Not ahead of Clement I wouldn't as he's better manager than Gerrard m8
Fair enough, I’m pretty sure at the time we were waiting to make an appointment you said you’d be happy with taking Gerrard back. It stuck in my mind because I remember finding it a bit mental but not entirely surprising.

Anyway, you don’t want to go back the way when you’re appointing managers. The next man in has to be as good as Clement or better, and I’m well aware Clement has yet to bag a league title or anything significant, but what he is doing so far with a squad that had chucked it is certainly marking him out as the best coach to grace the managers office at Ibrox since Walter Smith.

I agree, but you don’t get regular threads pining for Gio or gushing over him. It’s more the opposite in fact, he’s not really talked about in glowing terms where SG absolutely is. Just always feel the regular fawning that still occurs makes us look small time. Like fans that still can’t comprehend that such a big name in British football graced our wee club. That’s what it feels like anyway.

Just FYI, I’m saying Gio isn’t shown anywhere near the same respect, and that’s with him having steered the club to a Euro final, won a Scottish Cup beating them on route, qualifying us for the CL (the only one to manage it since 2012) and not bullshitting the fans either. He was probably the most poorly backed of recent managers too.
I'm not sure about that to be honest. In the aftermath of Beale there was numerous posts on here trying to rewrite Gio's tenure as some sort of golden age. And although Gerrard was a world class player with a big reputation, Gio hardly came from the Sunday league. His career is probably more impressive than Gerrards.

Gio is a class act and the manner of his departure was poor even though the decision itself was more than merited. If Gerrard had inherited a league winning team and shipped 18 points to celtic in a year, he wouldn't have lasted either.

There was some great moments under Gio, Seville obviously and the Scottish cup. But the extra time victory over celtic was the only one he managed and really could have gone either way.

Factor in a couple of spankings off them, the champions league debacle and the hideous league form, it was only going to end one way. And he can complain all he wants about not getting backed, he knew the financial realities at the club when he took the job. He spent nearly £14m in the summer window, our biggest spend in over a decade and only bettered by last summers spend.

I just don't believe he had the personality or man management skills to be a success. People go on about players "downing tools" but it's the manager's job to get the best out of them. We've seen first hand what the right man can do. There's players right now absolutely flying that people wanted hunted only three or four months ago.

Both Gerrard and Gio had some success and some failures. Ultimately Gerrard took over a squad that had finished behind Aberdeen in successive seasons and turned it into the best team in the country. It took a bit of time and maybe covid bought him a little more, who knows? But Gio inherited a squad that had just won a league undefeated and hadn't lost to celtic in nearly two years. By the time he left, we were a mess. Maybe that's a contributing factor on how both are remembered.

Fair enough, I’m pretty sure at the time we were waiting to make an appointment you said you’d be happy with taking Gerrard back. It stuck in my mind because I remember finding it a bit mental but not entirely surprising.

Anyway, you don’t want to go back the way when you’re appointing managers. The next man in has to be as good as Clement or better, and I’m well aware Clement has yet to bag a league title or anything significant, but what he is doing so far with a squad that had chucked it is certainly marking him out as the best coach to grace the managers office at Ibrox since Walter Smith.
Clement has worked wonders with this squad and I'd agree should we need to replace him in the future it absolutely should be someone better but we have to be realistic to find better than Clement wouldn't be easy or cheap.

I'm not sure about that to be honest. In the aftermath of Beale there was numerous posts on here trying to rewrite Gio's tenure as some sort of golden age. And although Gerrard was a world class player with a big reputation, Gio hardly came from the Sunday league. His career is probably more impressive than Gerrards.

Gio is a class act and the manner of his departure was poor even though the decision itself was more than merited. If Gerrard had inherited a league winning team and shipped 18 points to celtic in a year, he wouldn't have lasted either.

There was some great moments under Gio, Seville obviously and the Scottish cup. But the extra time victory over celtic was the only one he managed and really could have gone either way.

Factor in a couple of spankings off them, the champions league debacle and the hideous league form, it was only going to end one way. And he can complain all he wants about not getting backed, he knew the financial realities at the club when he took the job. He spent nearly £14m in the summer window, our biggest spend in over a decade and only bettered by last summers spend.

I just don't believe he had the personality or man management skills to be a success. People go on about players "downing tools" but it's the manager's job to get the best out of them. We've seen first hand what the right man can do. There's players right now absolutely flying that people wanted hunted only three or four months ago.

Both Gerrard and Gio had some success and some failures. Ultimately Gerrard took over a squad that had finished behind Aberdeen in successive seasons and turned it into the best team in the country. It took a bit of time and maybe covid bought him a little more, who knows? But Gio inherited a squad that had just won a league undefeated and hadn't lost to celtic in nearly two years. By the time he left, we were a mess. Maybe that's a contributing factor on how both are remembered.
Yeah Gio did have a more impressive career. But we’re Brits supporting a British club, and in this little island Gerrard is undoubtedly a much bigger name, not only because of geography but because he was the captain of a really iconic club.

No way should that ever be allowed to happen. We’re now in a position where we ought to be above his level. If we ever look at bringing him back then somethings went wrong somewhere.
I don't want to turn this into a pro Gerrard discussion as I'm anything but due to the manner of his exit, but he had the measure of celtic for 2 years and had lost 1 league game in 50 odd. Not sure how we need to be above that level?

Raging when he suddenly left. Not really that he went… just nobody explained why?

Nothing can take away the memories though, so always a hero to me for everything he did for the famous RFC.
He left because he was offered a relatively high profile EPL job and unfortunately any manager we have from here on in will probably do the same if offered one.

It's a reality that people just have to accept.

Yeah Gio did have a more impressive career. But we’re Brits supporting a British club, and in this little island Gerrard is undoubtedly a much bigger name, not only because of geography but because he was the captain of a really iconic club.
Fair enough but it's not the be all and end all. There would be anarchy on here if the likes of Lampard or Rooney were appointed.

He took us to levels in Europe that I used to dream we would do, but seldom did.
In fact he raised our profile so high, that only two weeks ago UEFA were concerned we would be in Dublin for the final!
55 surpasses any upset from his leaving.
When you look at the trophy haul since 2018 it is disappointing… when you consider that Rangers are now a consistent Last 16 club in European football and have created a reputation where nobody wants to draw us then the impact of Gerrard is incredible.

To go from Progrès to Seville in 5yrs was something that nobody would have even joked about.

The ending was unfortunate but Steven Gerrard should always feel welcome at Ibrox.

I don't want to turn this into a pro Gerrard discussion as I'm anything but due to the manner of his exit, but he had the measure of celtic for 2 years and had lost 1 league game in 50 odd. Not sure how we need to be above that level?
There’s no “beating Celtic in league games” trophy though. It’s about silverware and even when they were gift wrapped for him he couldn’t take them (55 season is the easiest go at a treble we’re ever likely to get with them having exited both cups before us). I’m also not sure he’d get the benefit of going up against a Neil Lennon type too; a subpar manager and unbalanced individual.

Look at where Gerrard is now, in Saudi after a disastrous spell at Villa (who have improved ten fold since his exit), surely we need to be aiming higher than that after having a guy like Clement in place? I mean if you looked at his credentials and his name wasn’t Gerrard do you think anyone would even give him a look in? No chance mate.

There’s no “beating Celtic in league games” trophy though. It’s about silverware and even when they were gift wrapped for him he couldn’t take them (55 season is the easiest go at a treble we’re ever likely to get with them having exited both cups before us). I’m also not sure he’d get the benefit of going up against a Neil Lennon type too; a subpar manager and unbalanced individual.

Look at where Gerrard is now, in Saudi after a disastrous spell at Villa (who have improved ten fold since his exit), surely we need to be aiming higher than that after having a guy like Clement in place? I mean if you looked at his credentials and his name wasn’t Gerrard do you think anyone would even give him a look in? No chance mate.
Do you not agree though that to be successful at Rangers as manager you have to be able to beat Celtic. I think many years ago Souness said he'd happily lose to Celtic in 4 games but win the league and the support weren't too happy that he said that.

Very selective with your memory there imo.

We were conceding almost every game, most times first under Gerrard before he left, we'd been beaten by Dundee United and drew with Aberdeen after being 2 dow and chucked wins away agai st Hearts and Motherwell to draw as well. It very much had the feeling of a stale team that needed new blood.

He did beat Postecoglu, but it was very much a rebuild at that time for them, between getting players out that didn't want to be there and bedding in new players. Gio was unfortunate to face them after they'd spent big money and settled. I think Gerrard would've had a better chance that season than Gio did, but not convinced it was a given had he stayed, never mind winning it by 12-15 points.

We were conceding almost every game, most times first under Gerrard before he left, we'd been beaten by Dundee United and drew with Aberdeen after being 2 dow and chucked wins away agai st Hearts and Motherwell to draw as well. It very much had the feeling of a stale team that needed new blood.

He did beat Postecoglu, but it was very much a rebuild at that time for them, between getting players out that didn't want to be there and bedding in new players. Gio was unfortunate to face them after they'd spent big money and settled. I think Gerrard would've had a better chance that season than Gio did, but not convinced it was a given had he stayed, never mind winning it by 12-15 points.
Hearts and Livi also beat Celtic around the same time. Not saying beating them wasn’t great, but it was before they were flying and before they were able to bolster their squad with a little bit of help from the SPL.

Will never hear a bad word against him – he’s welcome back anytime.

Dominated the scum in a way we’d not seen since Walter – and gave us European credibility.

I just wish we had him for another season or two.

Do you not agree though that to be successful at Rangers as manager you have to be able to beat Celtic. I think many years ago Souness said he'd happily lose to Celtic in 4 games but win the league and the support weren't too happy that he said that.
I think silverware is all that matters and beating Celtic often clearly doesn’t guarantee silverware. I think if Gerrard had a poorer record against Celtic then you wouldn’t put so much emphasis on winning old firm games, something that ultimately only put one trophy in the bag. I also think if Gerrard had two years up against the fat Aussie his record would be a lot poorer than it was going up against Neil Lennon. I’m basing this on the fact gravy veins’ side were a lot better than Lennon’s, so much so he’s now Spurs manager.

His record against the filth was incredible, but its worth remembering he was up against Neil Lennon for 95% of those games.

Without sounding snidey to Gerrard, Clement is levels above him. When Clement leaves it has to be a similar CV for who replaces him.

It's all about opinions how many times did we suffer humiliation to them under Gerrard yet prior to his arrival Celtic were looking to run up record scorelines. I think had Gerrard stayed we'd have won 56 comfortably as Celtic quite simply couldn't beat us at that time.

I think silverware is all that matters and beating Celtic often clearly doesn’t guarantee silverware. I think if Gerrard had a poorer record against Celtic then you wouldn’t put so much emphasis on winning old firm games, something that ultimately only put one trophy in the bag. I also think if Gerrard had two years up against the fat Aussie his record would be a lot poorer than it was going up against Neil Lennon. I’m basing this on the fact gravy veins’ side were a lot better than Lennon’s, so much so he’s now Spurs manager.
That's hypothetical to be fair facts are when Gerrard came in he beat Rodgers, Lennon and Postecoglu.

Back