Steven Gerrard

It's all about opinions how many times did we suffer humiliation to them under Gerrard yet prior to his arrival Celtic were looking to run up record scorelines.
Loafs of times, but what does that have to do with season 21/22?
I think had Gerrard stayed we'd have won 56 comfortably as Celtic quite simply couldn't beat us at that time.
They had massively improved in the dugout and all over the pitch by the 2nd half of that season. It would have been a totally different animal to the scum team he would routinely beat.

Don't agree with the first part, he stays then we win the title easily again I'm sure.

He's still welcome back anytime though.

Not sure i agree with that, they had there worst start to a season in around 30 years and when he left we were 5 points clear if my memory is correct, we were only just into November and we had dropped 9 points already that season in 13 games, the performances were steadily getting worse week by week too. The change was needed at the time as we were going back the way. If we had of got the right manager in then we could have won the league that year, thats on the board for being lazy in the recruitment process.

the first set of fixtures gvb took charge of us they went on a run and didn’t loose another game that season, we are kidding ourselves on if we think we would have kept up with that even if Gerrard stayed that season with how it was going for us.

Loafs of times, but what does that have to do with season 21/22?

They had massively improved in the dugout and all over the pitch by the 2nd half of that season. It would have been a totally different animal to the scum team he would routinely beat.
To be fair they did improve which was probably more in fluke than expectation on their part as Postecoglu certainly wasn't their first choice replacement as manager. I would say though that Gerrard beat Rodgers, Lennon and Postecoglu and if he'd stayed I believe we'd have won 56 and I'd add we never once got humiliated in an old firm game under Gerrard as manager.

Very selective with your memory there imo.

We were conceding almost every game, most times first under Gerrard before he left, we'd been beaten by Dundee United and drew with Aberdeen after being 2 dow and chucked wins away agai st Hearts and Motherwell to draw as well. It very much had the feeling of a stale team that needed new blood.

He did beat Postecoglu, but it was very much a rebuild at that time for them, between getting players out that didn't want to be there and bedding in new players. Gio was unfortunate to face them after they'd spent big money and settled. I think Gerrard would've had a better chance that season than Gio did, but not convinced it was a given had he stayed, never mind winning it by 12-15 points.
Not selective at all, your post is incredibly negative towards Gerrard whilst being sympathetic towards Gio.

Whilst again, completely ignoring the fact that Gerrard was on a long unbeaten run against them, was clear at top of table and would never have capitulated the way Gio did at the Piggery, his record against them was extremely poor, a disgrace in fact.

That's hypothetical to be fair facts are when Gerrard came in he beat Rodgers, Lennon and Postecoglu.
One trophy is a fact though and you’re fine with ignoring that. And it’s hypothetical but I think it’s a pretty safe bet don’t you? Unless you’re telling me you think he’d have somehow faired as well or better against and much better team and manager? I mean it’s hypothetical for me to say Clement might not do as well at Rangers if he was up against Guardiola as opposed to being up against a hated Rodgers, but it’s still a pretty safe bet.

And yeah ultimately that’s true, but you’re ignoring all context because it’s convenient to your infatuation with Gerrard. Similar to what you do when people explain to you why he wasn’t allowed to throw money around covid and a season without fans, at least not without CL qualification and/or some significant player sales.

Gerrard had already beaten fat Ange, Gio was an absolute disaster against them, Gerrard was well ahead in league and clearly had the measure of the filth, there isn't a hope in hell we would have capitulated at the Piggery under SG.

We would have won the league by 12-15 points, 100% convinced of that.
What is that based on? Celtic went nearly a year without losing a league game after their horrendous start. Gio had a better points per game than Gerrard that season also. Truth of the matter is Celtic under Postecoglou were simply a very good side when it clicked and we’d have had to have went the season unbeaten to win the League which is a ridiculously unfair standard to demand.

Gio was an excellent manager and displayed it in Europe, he’d have won more domestic trophies if he was here at any other time with a less freakishly consistent Celtic side.

Not sure i agree with that, they had there worst start to a season in around 30 years and when he left we were 5 points clear if my memory is correct, we were only just into November and we had dropped 9 points already that season in 13 games, the performances were steadily getting worse week by week too. The change was needed at the time as we were going back the way. If we had of got the right manager in then we could have won the league that year, thats on the board for being lazy in the recruitment process.

the first set of fixtures gvb took charge of us they went on a run and didn’t loose another game that season, we are kidding ourselves on if we think we would have kept up with that even if Gerrard stayed that season with how it was going for us.
The amount of revisionism on here is laughable to be honest.

This post scales new heights of ridiculousness though.

To be fair they did improve which was probably more in fluke than expectation on their part as Postecoglu certainly wasn't their first choice replacement as manager. I would say though that Gerrard beat Rodgers, Lennon and Postecoglu and if he'd stayed I believe we'd have won 56 and I'd add we never once got
humiliated in an old firm game under Gerrard as manager.
That last part is obviously a dig at Gio. Worth pointing out, again, that he faced an entirely different scum side to what Gerrard did.

They freshened up in the 6 months after winning the league, whereas we stood still and got stale.

What is that based on? Celtic went nearly a year without losing a league game after their horrendous start. Gio had a better points per game than Gerrard that season also. Truth of the matter is Celtic under Postecoglou were simply a very good side when it clicked and we’d have had to have went the season unbeaten to win the League which is a ridiculously unfair standard to demand.

Gio was an excellent manager and displayed it in Europe, he’d have won more domestic trophies if he was here at any other time with a less freakishly consistent Celtic side.
Gio was a very poor manager domestically, are we forgetting his shambolic displays at the Piggery? His countless other poor performances against the dross?

Not selective at all, your post is incredibly negative towards Gerrard whilst being sympathetic towards Gio.

Whilst again, completely ignoring the fact that Gerrard was on a long unbeaten run against them, was clear at top of table and would never have capitulated the way Gio did at the Piggery, his record against them was extremely poor, a disgrace in fact.
Again, completelyignoring his unbeaten record? I've mentioned his incredible run against them in this thread.

We were clear at the top while they had their worst ever start to a league season. Gerrard's record against Lennon's team is irrelevant when we're talking about season 21/22. Lennon was long gone, they had a much better manager, players and went unbeaten for a year after they clicked from October-onwards.

If you posted this in late 2021 after he left, I would have had a very different response to this, but time heals all wounds I suppose. I don't like how he left, but he reminded us we were Rangers, and Rangers historians will judge him kindly. I'll always have a soft spot for him just because of 55.

Gio was a very poor manager domestically, are we forgetting his shambolic displays at the Piggery? His countless other poor performances against the dross?
I’m not forgetting anything. There was an abundance of poor performances against the dross by Gerrard that season. Your statement that we’d have won the League by 12-15 points is utterly moronic when 1) we weren’t winning every game when Gerrard was here and our overall form/ppg went up when he left and 2) Celtic eventually managed a calendar year without losing a domestic game.

One trophy is a fact though and you’re fine with ignoring that. And it’s hypothetical but I think it’s a pretty safe bet don’t you? Unless you’re telling me you think he’d have somehow faired as well or better against and much better team and manager? I mean it’s hypothetical for me to say Clement might not do as well at Rangers if he was up against Guardiola as opposed to being up against a hated Rodgers, but it’s still a pretty safe bet.

And yeah ultimately that’s true, but you’re ignoring all context because it’s convenient to your infatuation with Gerrard. Similar to what you do when people explain to you why he wasn’t allowed to throw money around covid and a season without fans, at least not without CL qualification and/or some significant player sales.
Again that's all hypothetical apart from the one trophy which clearly had to be better however in the context of where we were prior to his arrival he won the trophy that mattered most and stopped us being humiliated by our biggest rivals.

That last part is obviously a dig at Gio. Worth pointing out, again, that he faced an entirely different scum side to what Gerrard did.

They freshened up in the 6 months after winning the league, whereas we stood still and got stale.
Whenever praising Gerrard is not a dig or disrespect to Gio as I think both did a great job for the club although I'd say Gerrard’s record against Celtic is far better however Gio took us to a EL Final, Champions League and won the Scottish Cup.

I’m not forgetting anything. There was an abundance of poor performances against the dross by Gerrard that season. Your statement that we’d have won the League by 12-15 points is utterly moronic when 1) we weren’t winning every game when Gerrard was here and our overall form/ppg went up when he left and 2) Celtic eventually managed a calendar year without losing a domestic game.
Moronic?

The catalyst for them winning the league was our dropped points in Dingwall and our embarrassing capitulation at the Piggery.

Gerrard already proved he had the measure of the filth, he already beat fat Ange with quite a few important players missing, I would have backed him 100% to keep up his good run, we beat them at Piggery and we win the league comfortably.

You carry on with the Gerrard bashing and Fat Ange love in though.

The amount of revisionism on here is laughable to be honest.

This post scales new heights of ridiculousness though.

Go back and look on this board if it goes that far back and i guarantee you will find a lot of people not happy with the results and performances that season under Gerrard. In the first 13 games we got beat of Dundee united , drew at home to Aberdeen,hearts and Motherwell. In 5 of the other gamers there was only 1 goal difference between the teams we played. Are you seriously trying to tell me you were okay with the form we were in? The only reason we were getting away with it was because it was there worst start in decades. There was a few with there heads in the sand that kept saying but we are top odf the league bla bla. A lot of us could see it coming. I’m sure if you go back on this board you will see as much

Go back and look on this board if it goes that far back and i guarantee you will find a lot of people not happy with the results and performances that season under Gerrard. In the first 13 games we got beat of Dundee united , drew at home to Aberdeen,hearts and Motherwell. In 5 of the other gamers there was only 1 goal difference between the teams we played. Are you seriously trying to tell me you were okay with the form we were in? The only reason we were getting away with it was because it was there worst start in decades. There was a few with there heads in the sand that kept saying but we are top odf the league bla bla. A lot of us could see it coming. I’m sure if you go back on this board you will see as much
We were champions and top of the league, it's not uncommon for teams to have a sticky spell after a successful season.

In what planet does a club change manager if he's won a league and is sitting top of the table and has already beaten their only rival for the title?

What happened that they were in there worst state in decades and who was our manager that won the title that caused them to be in such a state?

What happened that they were in there worst state in decades and who was our manager that won the title that caused them to be in such a state?
The fat Ange cheerleaders can't have it both ways.

Gio was unsuccessful because Ange was so good and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

We were going backwards under Gerrard apparently too :))

Again that's all hypothetical apart from the one trophy which clearly had to be better however in the context of where we were prior to his arrival he won the trophy that mattered most and stopped us being humiliated by our biggest rivals.
How many trophies did the mentally challengeds win under his watch? I still found all that a bit humiliating to be honest. In fact I find any period of scum dominance humiliating. And sorry but domestic silverware matters too, success breeds success, and losing in two cup competitions when they were already out was embarrassing.

So just to be clear, you think there’s a decent chance Gerrard still beats the fat Aussies scum side regularly? If you answer yes to this then I’d love to hear your reasoning, but just FYI, I won’t accept “because he beat Lennon’s side a number of times” as an acceptable response. Maybe even you wouldn’t accept your own response though since it would be hypothetical.

I'd love to see Gerrard achieve his dream of managing Liverpool and wouldn't completely write him off for achieving that dream. I think Klopp has taken Liverpool to a higher level than those managers you mentioned and I think Liverpool will be looking at bigger leagues than the SPFL when looking for Klopp's replacement.
Klopp was the exception, not the rule.

They’re linked with Xabi Alonso who hasn’t won anything and has been managing a first team for 18 months. He might well turn out to be elite and is having a stormer of a season, but he isn’t yet.

Liverpool wouldn’t have been looking at the SPFL. They’d have been looking at a club legend managing Glasgow Rangers. It’s no different to Spurs looking at Postecoglu managing Celtic. They were working on the elite manager scene with Mourinho & Conte, both serial winners, but it’s turned out the ‘SPFL’ manager is better suited to them.

Moronic?

The catalyst for them winning the league was our dropped points in Dingwall and our embarrassing capitulation at the Piggery.

Gerrard already proved he had the measure of the filth, he already beat fat Ange with quite a few important players missing, I would have backed him 100% to keep up his good run, we beat them at Piggery and we win the league comfortably.

You carry on with the Gerrard bashing and Fat Ange love in thought.
I am not Gerrard bashing at all, if reminding you of Gerrard’s league form before he left means I’m Gerrard bashing then that’s not good for your argument more than anything. I love the guy, just reminding you of the facts and that your statement is not based in reality or on anything quantifiable. Your claim is moronic.

Gio was unsuccessful because Ange was so good and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Cheerleaders? Always find it a bit pathetic when people resort to that sort of nonsense. I don’t think acknowledging that he’s a better manager than Lennon and currently has much higher stock than Gerrard makes you a cheerleader, more of a realist.

And yeah mate, I think the fact we were heading out of the Europa in the group stages and had already dropped silly points that we didn’t drop the season prior is a bit of a sign that we were going backwards. In fact I’m not even sure how anyone could argue otherwise, particularly given that it was a big topic of discussion on here even before he went for the exit.

I don’t understand why @GBY74 has given you a like either considering that’s all hypothetical, either that or he only accepts hypotheticals when they favour Gerrard.

How many trophies did the mentally challengeds win under his watch? I still found all that a bit humiliating to be honest. In fact I find any period of scum dominance humiliating. And sorry but domestic silverware matters too, success breeds success, and losing in two cup competitions when they were already out was embarrassing.

So just to be clear, you think there’s a decent chance Gerrard still beats the fat Aussies scum side regularly? If you answer yes to this then I’d love to hear your reasoning, but just FYI, I won’t accept “because he beat Lennon’s side a number of times” as an acceptable response. Maybe even you wouldn’t accept your own response though since it would be hypothetical.
I've no idea how many trophies they won under Postecoglu but I'd imagine it was a few certainly more than one.

I think Gerrard definitely beats them as his record in old firm games was phenomenal if we're being honest as a fan I was always confident that we'd beat them when Gerrard was manager. I'm guessing you weren't.

We were going backwards under Gerrard in the end, we had stopped improving, results show as much. Are you trying to see we were still improving as a team in Gerard’s final season ?

There’s a thread highlighting the very fact, while you had your head in the sand, a lot of people could see the obvious.

I am not Gerrard bashing at all. I love the guy, just reminding you of the facts and that your statement is not based in reality or on anything quantifiable. Your claim is moronic.
What feckin facts are you reminding me of?

How many points did we win the league by the previous season?

How many games unbeaten was Gerrard against the filth?

What was the score in the only old firm game Gerrard took charge of that season?

Who was comfortably top of the table when Gerrard left?

What feckin facts are you reminding me of?

How many points did we win the league by the previous season?

How many games unbeaten was Gerrard against the filth?

What was the score in the only old firm game Gerrard took charge of that season?

Who was comfortably top of the table when Gerrard left?
I’m reminding you we were dropping points at a rate under Gerrard that would not have seen us win the League when you factor in Celtic’s form for the next year seeing as Gio’s points per game was better and still lost the League. You can remove your statement about winning the League by 12 points and I probably wouldn’t have posted at all just when you’re posting such clear nonsense you should be told

I've no idea how many trophies they won under Postecoglu but I'd imagine it was a few certainly more than one.

I think Gerrard definitely beats them as his record in old firm games was phenomenal if we're being honest as a fan I was always confident that we'd beat them when Gerrard was manager. I'm guessing you weren't.
Sorry, I’m not limiting this to Postecoglu. How many did they win under Gerrard’s tenure. That includes Lennon.

Haha Jesus Christ. You’re beyond parody, you think Gerrard beats them because his record in OF’s was good against another manager with another team? Waste of time mate, you are so obsessed with the guy you live in a fantasy world.

So you reckon if Gerrard was still here then he’d be getting his arse handed to him in OF’s now since Rodger’s OF record is vastly superior? Of course we’ll ignore that Rodger’s OF record includes games against Waburton, Murty, Pedro and Beale, because if we can do that for Gerrard then why not for Brentan?

I’m not talking about you specifically though. By the way I don’t think it’s fair to pin all the transfer dealings on Gio either when Wilson will have had a lot to do with it, and let’s face it, for what he had achieved he wasn’t backed particularly well. Under Gerrard we got cuffed in the league 2 out of 3 times too and were already on the slide when he snuck off, and the less said about the cup record the better. By the way im not saying Gio is all blameless, clearly he isn’t, but then you don’t see many talking about Gerrard’s routine failure against SPL jobbers in cup competition.

Now clearly he made significant improvements and no one will hold that first season against him, but his record overall isn’t really what you’d imagine for an ex manager who’s still gets regular fawning threads and who left in the manner he did. That’s because (for me anyway) the difference is the name and the standing in British football, you just need to look at the thread from when he was appointed to see that. No experience but we were all giddy because of his name and because he was a Premier League legend.

Just as an example of what I’m saying, look a little bit above and you’ve got someone giving him the credit for Seville, which was Gio’s achievement. We were actually heading out of the Europa at the group stage under SG. Did people go “aye but let’s remember what Dick” after Eck won a treble? Did they %^*&! Anyway regardless of all this he certainly deserves to be welcomed back, but maybe not in the way some might want (the regular threads have me thinking we’ll have folk petitioning for a guard of honour and commemorative plaque).
Gio not being backed doesn’t explain why he couldn’t set up a team to take the bins out against Livingston, St Johnstone and St Mirren.

If he gets the credit for reaching the CL group stages with those players, then surely he needs to take the Derry for failing to set them up to beat jobbers on a weekly basis.

You’ve said under Gerrard we got cuffed in the league, completely disregarding the circumstances and chasm in budgets we were operation with. There was no way Gerrard was coming in and winning it in his first season, nobody expected that. The second season was disappointing, but it was a progression and then we made it count and blew them away in year 3.

I disagree that Gerrard’s cup failures aren’t spoken about. It’s probably the most spoken about fact of his tenure outwith delivering 55. If he was able to deliver a couple of cups along the way then it would’ve added a lot of decoration to his record and the defeats were really abysmal at times.

I don’t have an issue with anyone fawning over any ex Rangers manager. You’re entitled to think it’s because of his name and that people are a bit fannydazzled, but for me, it’s that he was willing to take on an almost impossible role, with the odds, budget, media, refs (they knew what was at stake) and everything else you can think of stacked against him, and armed with a bunch of Liverpool youth coaches, a bunch of free signings and loannes and a headcase Columbian, fashion us into a side capable of going a full league season undefeated.

And IMO both points are true, he was the architect of the squad and instilled a lot of the good practices and discipline into that squad that only Gio would’ve been able to take the reins of and drag them to a European final. It was the perfect storm of circumstances.

You lose any debate when you have to resort to this shit.

Pathetic.

Gio not being backed doesn’t explain why he couldn’t set up a team to take the bins out against Livingston, St Johnstone and St Mirren.

If he gets the credit for reaching the CL group stages with those players, then surely he needs to take the Derry for failing to set them up to beat jobbers on a weekly basis.

You’ve said under Gerrard we got cuffed in the league, completely disregarding the circumstances and chasm in budgets we were operation with. There was no way Gerrard was coming in and winning it in his first season, nobody expected that. The second season was disappointing, but it was a progression and then we made it count and blew them away in year 3.

I disagree that Gerrard’s cup failures aren’t spoken about. It’s probably the most spoken about fact of his tenure outwith delivering 55. If he was able to deliver a couple of cups along the way then it would’ve added a lot of decoration to his record and the defeats were really abysmal at times.

I don’t have an issue with anyone fawning over any ex Rangers manager. You’re entitled to think it’s because of his name and that people are a bit fannydazzled, but for me, it’s that he was willing to take on an almost impossible role, with the odds, budget, media, refs (they knew what was at stake) and everything else you can think of stacked against him, and armed with a bunch of Liverpool youth coaches, a bunch of free signings and loannes and a headcase Columbian, fashion us into a side capable of going a full league season undefeated.

And IMO both points are true, he was the architect of the squad and instilled a lot of the good practices and discipline into that squad that only Gio would’ve been able to take the reins of and drag them to a European final. It was the perfect storm of circumstances.
I even said I wouldn’t hold Gerrard’s first season against him because of the amount of catching up we had to do? The thing is, we got cuffed in the second season too and fell apart at exactly the same point in the season, there wasn’t exactly a marked improvement domestically considering that and another 2 embarrassing cup exits. In fact he was even headed for the sack until Covid halted the season because we were absolutely in free fall.

The final round of Saudi fixtures for this season is scheduled for May 27th, which is the same weekend as the Scottish Cup Final so it's unlikely that we could get Gerrard to a game this season.

Hopefully it happens though. It'd be great to see him back even just for a visit.
He can unfurl the league flag on the first day of next season

I’m reminding you we were dropping points at a rate under Gerrard that would not have seen us win the League when you factor in Celtic’s form for the next year seeing as Gio’s points per game was better and still lost the League. You can remove your statement about winning the League by 12 points and I probably wouldn’t have posted at all just when you’re posting such clear nonsense you should be told
Go on, answer my points raised on previous post?

It's almost as if you're ignoring the fact Gerrard built a title winning side who won the league at a canter, he had beaten 3 Celtic managers and was on a long unbeaten run against them, he was top of the league and had already beaten them that season, all that doesn't matter though, because fat Ange was so good he would have won the league regardless, you definitely know 'that Gerrard would not have seen us win the league'

Your post is utter horseshit and you belong on Kerrydale ;)

Sorry, I’m not limiting this to Postecoglu. How many did they win under Gerrard’s tenure. That includes Lennon.

Haha Jesus Christ. You’re beyond parody, you think Gerrard beats them because his record in OF’s was good against another manager with another team? Waste of time mate, you are so obsessed with the guy you live in a fantasy world.

So you reckon if Gerrard was still here then he’d be getting his arse handed to him in OF’s now since Rodger’s OF record is vastly superior? Of course we’ll ignore that Rodger’s OF record includes games against Waburton, Murty, Pedro and Beale, because if we can do that for Gerrard then why not for Brentan?
Gerrard beat Rodgers, Lennon and Postecoglu as I'm sure you know I'm also sure you know that our record in old firm games since Gerrard left is really poor and hopefully that'll improve in the coming months. I think it's maybe you in the fantasy world that fails to recognise what was such an important title considering where we were as a club and fail to recognise just how poor we have been against Celtic since Gerrard left. I get we have different opinions on this subject and just want what is best for the club.

Gerrard is a mediocre coach but, much like Souness he gave us much more than a trophy - he gave us our standards and pride back. An icon that was exactly what we needed at the time. Forever grateful for his time here.

I even said I wouldn’t hold Gerrard’s first season against him because of the amount of catching up we had to do? The thing is, we got cuffed in the second season too and fell apart at exactly the same point in the season, there wasn’t exactly a marked improvement domestically considering that and another 2 embarrassing cup exits. In fact he was even headed for the sack until Covid halted the season because we were absolutely in free fall.
He needed more than 1 season. Yes, it wasn’t the performance levels required and the cups were poor, but the fact was that we were back in training within 3 months of that season ending prematurely and we hit the ground like a runaway train from the first friendly.

Something clicked that summer. Guys like Defoe have said it, and it was all the hard work and building finally clicking. Maybe if Gerrard had a proper budget to work with it could’ve happened sooner, but in year 2 he was working with talents like Jones, Stewart, Ojo and Barker as his summer business. We only pushed the boat out for Kent after we lost to Celtic.

He was never ever heading for the sack. Simply because we couldn’t afford to. Gerrard’s team were on silly money and they’d all have had to go. They were very well hedged that way. If he left at any point, it wouldn’t been on his terms. I thought he might have walked after Hearts away in the cup as he looked defeated, but you’re right, Covid came at a good time, it allowed them to regroup and go again. Just as well they did.

Go on, answer my points raised on previous post?

It's almost as if you're ignoring the fact Gerrard built a title winning side who won the league at a canter, he had beaten 3 Celtic managers and was on a long unbeaten run against them, he was top of the league and had already beaten them that season, all that doesn't matter though, because fat Ange was so good he would have won the league regardless, you definitely know 'that Gerrard would not have seen us win the league'

Your post is utter horseshit and you belong on Kerrydale ;)
Proper weird guy. Your last comment warrants no further replies from me.

Gerrard beat Rodgers, Lennon and Postecoglu as I'm sure you know I'm also sure you know that our record in old firm games since Gerrard left is really poor and hopefully that'll improve in the coming months. I think it's maybe you in the fantasy world that fails to recognise what was such an important title considering where we were as a club and fail to recognise just how poor we have been against Celtic since Gerrard left. I get we have different opinions on this subject and just want what is best for the club.
Nah, you’re more interested in Gerrard than the club mate. You made that very clear when you once stated (prior to 55) that you’d give him a 4th season even if the third ended without a trophy. That was and still is a mental take that suggests more loyalty to the manager than the club. Either that or you’re just the Rangers fan with the lowest standards/expectations imaginable.

And sorry, but you’re completely contradicting yourself. You keep banging on about how you’d have fancied him up against Postcoglu because his OF record was good, well Rodgers OF record is even better than Gerrard’s (you do know Gerrard lost an OF game to Rodgers too?), so by your own logic (yes your logic, not mine), Rodgers would steamroll Gerrard if the latter was still Rangers manager….

Whenever this topic comes up, all you ever want to talk about is OF form, whilst side stepping the issue of actual silverware, .i.e. tangible success. It’s clear to anyone the reason you do this is because you know Gerrard has the best OF record of any Rangers manager since Walter, what’s also clear is you don’t want to provide any context to this, .i.e. you don’t want to know about gravy veins being a far better manager than Lennon, you won’t take into consideration that Gio never got to go up against a subpar Celtic manager, you probably won’t even give Clement leeway for the fact he’s only taken charge of one OF game where he had someone else’s squad and shocked of a decision go against us - all because you’re loyalties lie with Gerrard are your biggest concern seems to be bigging him up.

Don't agree with the first part, he stays then we win the title easily again I'm sure.

He's still welcome back anytime though.
We were rotten domestically even under him when he left that season and he left just as postecoglu had got them playing much better so I'm not sure it was a certainty we would have won the league had he stayed.

Nah, you’re more interested in Gerrard than the club mate. You made that very clear when you once stated (prior to 55) that you’d give him a 4th season even if the third ended without a trophy. That was and still is a mental take that suggests more loyalty to the manager than the club. Either that or you’re just the Rangers fan with the lowest standards/expectations imaginable.

And sorry, but you’re completely contradicting yourself. You keep banging on about how you’d have fancied him up against Postcoglu because his OF record was good, well Rodgers OF record is even better than Gerrard’s (you do know Gerrard lost an OF game to Rodgers too?), so by your own logic (yes your logic, not mine), Rodgers would steamroll Gerrard if the latter was still Rangers manager….

Whenever this topic comes up, all you ever want to talk about is OF form, whilst side stepping the issue of actual silverware, .i.e. tangible success. It’s clear to anyone the reason you do this is because you know Gerrard has the best OF record of any Rangers manager since Walter, what’s also clear is you don’t want to provide any context to this, .i.e. you don’t want to know about gravy veins being a far better manager than Lennon, you won’t take into consideration that Gio never got to go up against a subpar Celtic manager, you probably won’t even give Clement leeway for the fact he’s only taken charge of one OF game where he had someone else’s squad and shocked of a decision go against us - all because you’re loyalties lie with Gerrard are your biggest concern seems to be bigging him up.
You may have missed where I posted that Clement imo is better than Gerrard as manager or that I posted Gio worked wonders getting us to European final but I will always state that from where we were as a club Gerrard worked wonders to lead us to 55.

We were rotten domestically even under him when he left that season and he left just as postecoglu had got them playing much better so I'm not sure it was a certainty we would have won the league had he stayed.
I’m always amazed how many people just gloss over that, even allowing for the attachment a lot of fans still have to Gerrard going on the numerous threads. I mean it was a regular topic of discussion at the time - “somethings not right/what’s changed?/does Gerrard seem a bit off” etc etc. Yet reading these sorts of threads you’d think we were still flying.

You may have missed where I posted that Clement imo is better than Gerrard as manager or that I posted Gio worked wonders getting us to European final but I will always state that from where we were as a club Gerrard worked wonders to lead us to 55.
You’ve ignored the main point again though, but I mean that’s your prerogative; basically you’ve glossed over the part where your own logic dictates that Rodgers would wipe the floor with SG. The Clement part was a bit tongue in cheek I admit.

However, you’ve never been willing to acknowledge that Gio faced a much better Celtic manager and Celtic side than Gerrard, you’ve never once been willing to admit that when we beat Postecoglu’s side they were still finding their feet and also hadn’t yet bolstered their squad (or even a more minor detail, that Gerrard wasn’t even there!).

He’s anyone stopped to think maybe Gerrard doesn’t want to come back?

He couldn’t get out the door fast enough after all.

If/when he comes back we should get a massive long plastic sheet from one end of the pitch to the other, soaked in baby oil so he can run and slide all the way

Steven-Gerrard.gif
Is that the Hearts badge under there?

You’ve ignored the main point again though, but I mean that’s your prerogative; basically you’ve glossed over the part where your own logic dictates that Rodgers would wipe the floor with SG. The Clement part was a bit tongue in cheek I admit.

However, you’ve never been willing to acknowledge that Gio faced a much better Celtic manager and Celtic side than Gerrard, you’ve never once been willing to admit that when we beat Postecoglu’s side they were still finding their feet and also hadn’t yet bolstered their squad (or even a more minor detail, that Gerrard wasn’t even there!).
I'm not certain as to why you'd think that Rodgers would wipe the floor with Gerrard and go as far to say that whilst we lost games under Gerrard there wasn't a team that wiped the floor with us not that I can remember anyway.

Rodgers had an easy time of it with Celtic as he was up against poor Rangers teams and poor managers and when Gerrard arrived it's my opinion that Rodgers seen we were getting our act together and would be a real challenge he couldn't get away quick enough.

Gio did face a better Celtic manager. I didn't think at the time he did but with hindsight he definitely did, was their team better that's probably a debate for Celtic fans. I don't understand where you continually think praising Gerrard is kind of disrespecting Gio as neither were perfect but both had important successes that helped the club massively. I do think Gio took over the club from a far stronger position than what Gerrard did and I do think our old firm record since Gerrard left has been poor and needs to improve and hopefully quickly.

Got to love how the Gerrard critics conveniently forget our disrupted pre-season, and early season form, was due to Covid issues, yet they can't wait to tell us how during 55 the tims imploded due to their Covid problems.

Got to love how the Gerrard critics conveniently forget our disrupted pre-season, and early season form, was due to Covid issues, yet they can't wait to tell us how during 55 the tims imploded due to their Covid problems.

Mate, there was absolutely no evidence to suggest we could have improved under Gerrard that season and found further domestic form, I mean yes we scored 10 goals in the two games prior to him leaving but f*ck that, it was only Celtic who would improve not us.

Mate, there was absolutely no evidence to suggest we could have improved under Gerrard that season and found further domestic form, I mean yes we scored 10 goals in the two games prior to him leaving but f*ck that, it was only Celtic who would improve not us.
Yep.

The idea that some on here stick to where Postecoglu was going to come in and piss all over Gerrard’s Rangers is fucking insanity with absolutely nothing to back it up.

Back