Stevie Chalmers passed away

RIP Stevie

I've no idea what he was like as a person off the park & can only talk about his football performances - which were better than many - including his own fans - gave him credit for

If I recall correctly he was big, awkward, strong & had more skill than most recognised

As a youngster I thought he was similar to Jimmy Millar - but with hindsight he wasn't really on a par - although at times he was almost as effective

I'd imagine many defenders dreaded playing against him because he did have a commanding presence, was difficult to dispossess & had a good eye for goal

Just my memory / opinion of course
On the very few occasssions I've expressed this view with members of the unwashed - they've viewed him as a dud

A dud? He scored more than a goal every two games. And he was not a big centre forward. He was chalk and cheese with Jimmy Millar.

Cheers. Before my time. My surname. Never met a Chalmers who wasn't a Bear, Prod or agnostic...like any of my family or the few others I've met down the road of life.
When you look through the names of the Lisbon Liars it reads like a 1960's Presbyterian church committee.
Even the first names are as Scottish as they come.
Ronnie, Jim, Tommy, Bobby, Billy, John, Jimmy, Stevie, Willie, Bertie, Bobby.

Lived in the same street as me when i was young. Used to play with his youngest. Strange to think a Euro Cup winning footballer lived in an ordinary street.

Nice guy, always said hello.

Weirdly, he wasn't the only Celtic player to live in that street, there was a young lad who went on to play for them.

Chalmers was known for his respect of Rangers. The surgeon who saved his life from a fatal respiratory disease as a teenager was a big Rangers fan and let him know it. That Rangers fan gave Chalmers 65 years extra life. RIP.

Was just saying to my dad always found it strange that for the man that scored the winning goal in 67 they haven’t a song about him like we do with Stein and Johnson for 72, unless they have

A dud? He scored more than a goal every two games. And he was not a big centre forward. He was chalk and cheese with Jimmy Millar.

I'm only quoting what one timmy said to me & another said he was no more than average - a bit of an under appreciation for someone who averaged a goal every 2 games - was my point - but I'm not sure what your point is?

My childish comparison with Jimmy Millar was as much to do with the similar roles they at least sometimes played - & I did say that I now realise - with hindsight - that wasn't a good comparison

Of course they weren't a similar stature or shared a similar style but they had a similar effect in my opinion
Chalk & cheese ? Probably

You are correct about both. He was not a protestant but he was a decent man. Steven Chalmers has been in residential care for a couple of years now, battling with dementia but a severe chest infection caused his death. I know friends of the Chalmers family.

Condolences to the family mate.

I'm only quoting what one timmy said to me & another said he was no more than average - a bit of an under appreciation for someone who averaged a goal every 2 games - was my point - but I'm not sure what your point is?

My childish comparison with Jimmy Millar was as much to do with the similar roles they at least sometimes played - & I did say that I now realise - with hindsight - that wasn't a good comparison

Of course they weren't a similar stature or shared a similar style but they had a similar effect in my opinion
Chalk & cheese ? Probably

That's what you get for talking to tims:)

I used to see him around the Briggs ,he played Golf with a Friend of mine and anytime I met him he would say hello .

Stevie Chalmers also had a spell at Morton when nearing the end of his football career. He wasn't a big burly guy as some suggest, he did have a good turn of speed however, and an eye for goal. I seem to remember he had a son who played pro football, St Mirren maybe? RIP Mr Chalmers.

His daughter worked in our work a long time ago.

I thought I would enlighten a little into her dad’s career by asking if she knew that he scored against Brazil at Hampden in 1966.

She pointed out that she was reminded of it everyday as they had Pele’s shirt from the game mounted in a frame above the fireplace.

Very few people in this world I despise but that reptile is one of them. An ignorant drunken ponce any time I’ve seen him. Condolences to the Chalmers family.

A Gers Legend once told me a story about him. He is, the exception, to the rule.

I give notice now. Do not expect any respect from this quarter if that piece of shit pre-deceases me. An obnoxious scumbag, I hope I live to see that shitebag take a long, slow, lingering and unpleasant shuffle off this mortal coil.
Horrible bastard of a man

Always seemed one of the better guys. I might be wrong but I think a bit of fate helped Stevie Chalmers. I'm sure Joe McBride was first pick and scoring big time that 67 season and got injured.

I await the 'now is not the time' responses, but you can guarantee that they'd be looking for a postponement if we were neck and neck with them and they had a few injuries/suspensions.

RIP.
Didn’t know him but knew of him. A very humble and respectful person by the old mans accounts

Never had a problem with Chalmers. Don’t recall him ever being disrespectful to us, unlike Auld, a true turncoat, and of course, one of the worst haters, jimmy johnstone. Chalmers was old school. Rip.

Back