Succesful season

Do you consider this a successful season

• Yes

Votes: 1,076 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 253 19.0%

• Total voters
Utter bonkers. Off the pitch? What success did we have off the pitch? Fvck me.
Glamour friendly in oz
Successful deployment of ticketing operations for malmo, dortmund etc
Fair distribution of tickets for europa league final
Successful sponsorship opportunities with cutting edge technology companies leading to a-list back of shirt sponsor
Going to court with the spl because our chairman doesn’t like the sponsor

Aye, success off field alright

Fine limits isn’t it? This could have been our most successful season in our history if we had won a penalty shoot out on Wednesday. The league , despite dropping so many silly points could still have been won had we had VAR. History will show we only won the Scottish Cup, but we know it was much more than that.

I didn’t know until someone mentioned it that they didn’t win anything the season they reached the final. I could go on mastermind with our squads and European results but I really struggle to distinguish between the domestic successes.
Would think you would remember seasons we done the treble

Changing manager mid season and the squad looking done under Gerrard, I’d say we’ve done well, the problem is the points swing but they cunts went on a crazy run in the league

I must be deluded then. Winning trophies beats no trophies any day of the week for me.
We won a trophy,winning the spfl beats getting to a Europe final beating some of the best teams in Europe no chance how many European finals have we managed

Reactions: G33
Surprised by this outcome. And some of the vociferous opinions.

The key word in the question is “successful”

It’s been a memorable season. We ought to be proud of how close we came to European glory

But It hasn’t been a “successful” season. On no metric of Rangers FC could it be described as “successful”, relative to our expectations
If playing 19 European matches at the top level and reaching a major European final isn’t deemed a success then what is? A league we have won 55 times?

I’m sorry but some of the nonsense on this thread is beyond embarrassing

We’ve only reached 5 European finals in our entire history

This season was our most successful since 2008 and before that 92/93 . Fact.

So based on this we lost the chance of automatic qualification to the Champions League, so for me that's an unsuccessful season. Runner up in Europa doesn't get us anything.
Automatically qualifying and then treating Europe as a bonus is why Celtic were the laughing stock of Europe over 3 competitions. Pointless qualifying if you just see it as a bonus.

If playing 19 European matches at the top level and reaching a major European final isn’t deemed a success then what is? A league we have won 55 times?

It would have been our most successful season if we’d won it. That would have trumped any league title for sure.

But we didn’t. We were runners up. I’m still tremendously proud of the run but it wasn’t successful. Come on, please.

In lieu of winning a European trophy, failing to win our domestic league means it wasn’t a successful season.

Reactions: G33
We won a trophy,winning the spfl beats getting to a Europe final beating some of the best teams in Europe no chance how many European finals have we managed

If I was offered the straight choice between being champions of Scotland every year for the next decade (and the CL group qualification which comes with that prize) or being consistent Europa/Conference League runners-up for the next decade, I know which one I'm picking.

It would have been our most successful season if we’d won it. That would have trumped any league title for sure.

But we didn’t. We were runners up. I’m still tremendously proud of the run but it wasn’t successful. Come on, please.

In lieu of winning a European trophy, failing to win our domestic league means it wasn’t a successful season.
The question is “ do you consider this a successful season?”.

The answer is yes unless you think we are Real Madrid.

The question is “ do you consider this a successful season?”.

The answer is yes unless you think we are Real Madrid.

And my answer was no.

What does Real Madrid have to do with it ?

I said it was a memorable season. An unforgettable one. But you and I have different understandings of the word “successful”

We all know Rangers is about winning Titles and trophy's

Losing the league was sore ,but only ourselves to blame unfortunately

Winning the Scottish cup and breaking that voodoo - fantastic

Making a European final -excellent

My clubs European cv updated ,the fantastic night's ,the worldwide plaudits and exposure ,being back in the spotlight in Europe

I'll say it's been a successful season

And my answer was no.

What does Real Madrid have to do with it ?

I said it was a memorable season. An unforgettable one. But you and I have different understandings of the word “successful”
How can a team from Scotland reaching a major European final after playing 19 elite matches not be classed as a success? It doesn’t make sense.

I referenced Real Madrid as one of a select few clubs in the world who could reach a European final and still think they were “ unsuccessful”.

Certainly doesn’t apply to any Scottish side.

How can a team from Scotland reaching a major European final after playing 19 elite matches not be classed as a success? It doesn’t make sense.

I referenced Real Madrid as one of a select few clubs in the world who could reach a European final and still think they were “ unsuccessful”.

On the Madrid point

I'm sure some German coach was sacked by them even though they won the champions league but didn't win la liga

I voted no. Throwing away a 6 point lead in the league was a huge failure. Our league campaign this year was terrible. Dropping stupid points at home to Aberdeen, Motherwell and Hearts etc.

The amount of points the mhanky mob dropped at the start of season should have seen us comfortably ahead of them. We handed them a champions league place.

We went out the League cup with a 3-0 defeat to Hibs at hampden.

The European run was fantastic and is the reason why not winning the title had been forgiven but it’s not a successful season. Just winning the Scottish Cup is not good enough.

Maybe there should have been a 3rd option in the poll.

But we didn't. We would have won the league if we didn't have individual mistakes against Motherwell twice, Ross County.

It happens in football and it was us to lose it unfortunately.
The point of the reply was in response to someone claiming it was a shocking league season. Shocking is losing it by 25 points, not when it could turn on one game.

Absolutely proud that this group of players took us all the way to a European final, an incredible journey we have been on and it will live long in the memory, however, one Scottish cup to our name this season is not a successful season.

Thats a relatively successful campaign in Europe you've just described though. The question is whether the season as a whole has been successful. Dismal champions league performances, abject performance in league cup semi and handing the league to them by playing way below what we were capable of. We played fantastically well in the Europa league knockout stages after more or less scraping through our group, so I think harping on about playing 19 elite matches in Europe is a bit of a stretch.

Thats a relatively successful campaign in Europe you've just described though. The question is whether the season as a whole has been successful. Dismal champions league performances, abject performance in league cup semi and handing the league to them by playing way below what we were capable of. We played fantastically well in the Europa league knockout stages after more or less scraping through our group, so I think harping on about playing 19 elite matches in Europe is a bit of a stretch.
So much negativity bundled into one post I don’t know where to begin.

Again, we have won 55 leagues in our history as well as war titles and lower division titles.

We have played in only 5 European finals.

This season has been successful-as the poll suggests over 82% agree.

If people think a league cup and another league would have been better “success” with the utter humiliation of being scudded out of no less than 3 European tournaments in one season like that mob, then I’m glad I’m not you.

Stop it
Sensible posters will be banned .

Spot on!

Fact?

More successful than trebles we have won since then? Absolute nonsense.

The point of the reply was in response to someone claiming it was a shocking league season. Shocking is losing it by 25 points, not when it could turn on one game.

89 points won the league in 2 of Walters 3IAR.

They must have been terrible seasons then and he only won the league as Celtic were shite, going by the logic.

Facts are we should have won the league, but it wasn't a terrible league campaign. Was an average title winning campaign for us, points wise

So much negativity bundled into one post I don’t know where to begin.

Again, we have won 55 leagues in our history as well as war titles and lower division titles.

We have played in only 5 European finals.

This season has been successful-as the poll suggests over 82% agree.

If people think a league cup and another league would have been better “success” with the utter humiliation of being scudded out of no less than 3 European tournaments in one season like that mob, then I’m glad I’m not you.
I can see what the poll says but it doesn't change my mind. The league campaign would have been forgotten about and probably forgiven had we won the Europa league. In fact, had we won the Europa then lost the Scottish Cup final, it would have been a very successful season. The successfulness of this season, from the moment the final whistle blew against Leipzig, hinged on Europa league glory. The fact that we didn't win, however unlucky we were, means the league campaign can't and shouldn't be forgotten or forgiven. Might have been different had it been neck and neck all season but because we chucked it away from a commanding position means, for me, it's not been a successful season.

How my club is perceived by the football community matters massively to me and many others. Losing in 2008 was horrendous but the scenes afterwards made the result worse and we suffered as a result of it.

I presume your someone who the league is the be all and end all. Happy as long as we are a bawhair better than Celtic no matter what that means in the long run.
Yeah but the long run is quite significant here too because losing the league this season gives them a huge CL windfall that we may as of yet not be privy to. That could be massive in terms of dictating how the next few seasons pan out.

I’m not in agreement with the guy you’re quoting btw, I don’t see this season as a failure. I just don’t feel comfortable calling it a success either if we look at the season as a whole. I’m just surprised so many of our support are comfortable calling it a success after mocking them for their vice champions shite and the way they went on about Seville.

They must have been terrible seasons then and he only won the league as Celtic were shite, going by the logic.

Facts are we should have won the league, but it wasn't a terrible league campaign. Was an average title winning campaign for us, points wise
They had a catastrophic start, they brought in a manager no one had heard of, they had to do a rebuild, and they still ended up winning it with a game to spare. Sorry but that’s utter shite on our part.

They had a catastrophic start, they brought in a manager no one had heard of, they had to do a rebuild, and they still ended up winning it with a game to spare. Sorry but that’s utter shite on our part.

Whats your point in relation to mine?

I clearly said we should have done better. However 89 points isn't atrocious or whatever the comment was at the start of the conversation

Whats your point in relation to mine?

I clearly said we should have done better. However 89 points isn't atrocious or whatever the comment was at the start of the conversation
But it is atrocious when your nearest rivals eclipse it after having a deficit, and the manner in which we pissed points away after January absolutely was atrocious, that showing at the piggery was an utter disgrace.

Automatically qualifying and then treating Europe as a bonus is why Celtic were the laughing stock of Europe over 3 competitions. Pointless qualifying if you just see it as a bonus.
That's not what I meant. Just because I said qualifying is a bonus doesnt also mean treating it like one. The primary goal at the start of every season should be to win the league and should always be top priority along with being as competitive as possible in all other competitions.

As I said in my original post we were so close to having a European trophy but it's small margins and looking back on it all we have to actually show for it is a Scottish cup.

Post of the thread and the following wee passage sums up my feelings on the subject.

''folks keep saying "remember were we came from" which is fair enough, but when do we leave that thinking behind and start thinking bigger and demand better on all fronts?''

For me this 'Just nine years ago we were picking balls out of hedges in Brechin' is now a comfort blanket, a catch all, go to phrase for losing.

We were absolutely dross today. - Ah but remember where we were just nine years ago.

That was absolutely criminal that we dropped two points today - Hey remember, just nine years ago we were playing in parks with hedges behind the touchline.

It happened, so we get on with it. Although, if you don't want to forgive or forget and I'm one of them, the solution is easy. Target the clubs that put the boot into us one-by-one and starve them of money by boycotting their two home league games a season against us.

In many ways this 'Baws-in-hedges-at-Brechin' retort remind me of Willie Allison in his book, Rangers, The New Era, which hit the bookstores in 1966.

Speaking of our elimination at the hands of Inter Milan in the q/f of the 1964/65 EC he says;

''It was little compensation to to be told by the World Champions that we were the finest British side they had encountered or that we were the first British team to score in Milan in a European Cup match. Nor did it ease our pain to know Inter were much more than just another club side, and had been built at fantastic expense from some of the world's greatest exponents.

This was possibly because the financial set-up in Italy and other Continental countries is vastly different from what we know of them in Scotland.'' Also ''We play the same game, but do so in vastly different cash-worlds.''

In other words, an excuse back then for us not being able to match the best in Europe.

Which is all well and good till we realise sickeningly that just a year after Allison's words were in the public domain another mob from Glasgow operating under the exact same circumstances as us, rammed those words down our throats.

We should all be proud of what we have achieved in the last decade and all the obstacles we have had to overcome and are still facing to keep rising above the quagmire that is yahoo run Scottish football and of course the financial disparity between the 'big four/five' and the rest of us that is bigger than it has ever been.

It should not be used as a reason to justify accepting defeat, a comfort blanket if you will for standing still.

As for me, I don't know what kind of Rangers fan I am, or have become because like most, the last decade has probably changed me out of all recognition. However, I'd like to think that I will never come to the conclusion that only winning a Scottish Cup constitutes a successful season at Ibrox.
We’re going to get away from that mentality and the sooner the better or we’ll never move forward, one domestic cup does not constitute a successful season, don’t let others make you believe otherwise

Last edited:
But we didn't. We would have won the league if we didn't have individual mistakes against Motherwell twice, Ross County.

It happens in football and it was us to lose it unfortunately.

You mean the cheating in the Motherwell game at Ibrox by the ref! Even celtic supporting Desmond Gallagher said both goals should have stood in the game which would have given us 3 points and he even said the Ref decisions in the Utd game were wrong and Sakala should have had a penalty which would have given us another 3 points.

So, that's 6 points from just those 2 games we got cheated out of.

Last edited:

I think it would have won 2 of Brendan Rodgers titles and 1 of Neil Lennons.

Like it or not Celtic went on a mental run post October (they were certainly helped along the way)

I think after losing our whole coaching staff half way through the season what the players achieved was tremendous.

You mean the cheating in the Motherwell game at Ibrox by the ref! Even celtic supporting Desmond Gallagher said both goals should have stood in the game which would have given us 3 points and he even said the Ref decisions in the Utd game were wrong and Sakala should have had a penalty which would have given us another 3 points.

So, that's 6 points from just those 2 games we got cheated out of.

Outwith these incidents it still was individual mistakes that cost us goals.

I think it would have won 2 of Brendan Rodgers titles and 1 of Neil Lennons.

Like it or not Celtic went on a mental run post October (they were certainly helped along the way)

I think after losing our whole coaching staff half way through the season what the players achieved was tremendous.

That would have made sense if the slip ups were caused right after they came in but they didn't. They happened after the winter break. When Gio came in we were on good run and ended up winning 9 games straight.

We’re going to get away from that mentality and the sooner the better or we’ll never move forward, one domestic cup does not constitute a successful season, don’t let others make you believe otherwise
As I said elsewhere, winning last Wednesday trumps everything and tossing the league would have been an afterthought if that.

However, the fact remains, we entered five competitions. In terms of importance we won the fourth in terms of rankings. In terms of success it was not a successful season. I do realise the CL is unobtainable at this point and may forever stay so.

However, the joy, euphoria and simply being on cloud nine for those short 12 or 13 days is something we should want to visit again and again. I do get that it could cloud peoples' judgement, but there we are.

If Seville proves to be a springboard to more regular success in the latter stages of European tournaments, then maybe I'll start having fonder memories of the period.

As I said elsewhere, winning last Wednesday trumps everything and tossing the league would have been an afterthought if that.

However, the fact remains, we entered five competitions. In terms of importance we won the fourth in terms of rankings. In terms of success it was not a successful season. I do realise the CL is unobtainable at this point and may forever stay so.

However, the joy, euphoria and simply being on cloud nine for those short 12 or 13 days is something we should want to visit again and again. I do get that it could cloud peoples' judgement, but there we are.

If Seville proves to be a springboard to more regular success in the latter stages of European tournaments, then maybe I'll start having fonder memories of the period.
If indeed it becomes a spring board to do well and go deep into future European comps then I’m willing to accept this season easier, but I don’t think I can take many more of the kinds of heartache we got on wed (not that we’ve got a choice)
Hopefully Gio can take us to the next step when he gets his own players in

An elite European final after playing 19 matches does though.

An elite European final after playing 19 matches does though.
Eh not really, unless we win, if you were offered a series of European finals but a defeat in all of them plus we’ll lose the league too don’t think many would accept that

Back