Summer ins and outs

I think it’s too early to say re Simpson , way to early probably mate . He is certainly on the slim side of CDs right now but I can imagine him being beefed up and that bit more body strength can be vital in football . Some more attitude is a requirement too which I think is one of your points .

itten I feel does link up well it’s one of his skill sets but I do agree the sum of the parts isn’t what we need just yet .

will have to trust the coaches with these two and see what becomes of them imo .
They look more like backups than rotation pieces to me.

I think we have at least 5 cbs better than Simpson - and possibly up to 3 more with potential to pass him in the next year. Someone has obviously scouted him and likes him for a reason but I just can't see a cb with his skill set succeeding in the SPL for Rangers.

I think Itten may develop but mostly he needs games to improve his awareness. Right now he's a blunt instrument where we ned a rapier at the point of our attack, and he's just not an answer in a wide role so he's struggling to get enough game time to make the jump. It's the old catch 22 of needing games to improve but not good enough to earn them, and he doesn't have the goodwill in the bank to get a run to play himself into form like Alfie did earlier in the season.

I worry about Simpson. He just doesn't look like a Rangers cb to me. He's pacy and has decent technique on the ball but not physical, doesn't tackle and is prone to concentration lapses. He's a budget version of Ajer and I don't think those issues are likely to be corrected at his age.

Jeez, that's quite a conclusion based on 90 minutes the other night and two very short subs appearances. And your later post has him as 6th choice. Or have you seen a lot of him at Bournemouth? If we need to beef him up we will. Done it with a few players now but I don't consider it a real concern. Give him a bit of time, eh?

Jeez, that's quite a conclusion based on 90 minutes the other night and two very short subs appearances. And your later post has him as 6th choice. Or have you seen a lot of him at Bournemouth? If we need to beef him up we will. Done it with a few players now but I don't consider it a real concern. Give him a bit of time, eh?
Other than blind staunchness can anyone point to anything he's done and say he looks the part.

Goldson, Katic, Helander and Balogun - even Edmundson all came in and looked good from the off.

I hope I'm wrong but going back to the 80s I genuinely can't think of a central defender who has came in, looked poor initially and then gone on to be a success for us. Closest I can come up with is Craig Moore who was 17 and for some reason playing right midfield:)

Other than blind staunchness can anyone point to anything he's done and say he looks the part.

Goldson, Katic, Helander and Balogun - even Edmundson all came in and looked good from the off.

I hope I'm wrong but going back to the 80s I genuinely can't think of a central defender who has came in, looked poor initially and then gone on to be a success for us. Closest I can come up with is Craig Moore who was 17 and for some reason playing right midfield:)
There's plenty would question whether Katic or Edmundson have the ability to make it with us. However, at least they were given more than circa 120 minutes before folk rushed to consign them to the scrap heap.

I agree Simpson has a lot to do to impress. C'mon though, give the guy a chance.

There's plenty would question whether Katic or Edmundson have the ability to make it with us. However, at least they were given more than circa 120 minutes before folk rushed to consign them to the scrap heap.

I agree Simpson has a lot to do to impress. C'mon though, give the guy a chance.
I'm happy to give him a chance and I didn't say that playing well in your first few games makes the player a world beater, but I just pointed out I couldn't think of a cb who didn't look good initially and then went on to have a good career here.

For whatever reason it just seems to be a position that if you don't hit the ground running then it doesn't happen. I'm open to names if you can think of one - at least it would give me hope.

I'm happy to give him a chance and I didn't say that playing well in your first few games makes the player a world beater, but I just pointed out I couldn't think of a cb who didn't look good initially and then went on to have a good career here.

For whatever reason it just seems to be a position that if you don't hit the ground running then it doesn't happen. I'm open to names if you can think of one - at least it would give me hope.
Dunno about centre-backs but I suppose the current example would be Barisic as a general point. I had actually watched him three times before he signed for Rangers. Twice against us and once against the team they played the round before us. I thought he looked outstanding in all three games, easily their best player.

Then we signed him and it was like we'd signed an imposter. The rest, as they say, is history. One free-kick in Paisley was all it took.:)

But no, I can't, off the top of my head, think of a centre-back. Someone will though.;)

Amoruso was a bombscare at first.
Gordan Petric too.
Alan McLaren.
Graham Roberts.

All took time to settle.

Is Stuart Dallas really a realistic target? Is he out of contract or something?

He's a mainstay in a Leeds team who are doing well, only going to improve, and playing in the EPL. Would he want to leave?
Stuart has two tears on his contract at Leeds he wont be leaving for us at that income level and fee .
He is also 30 years old now so again makes it unlikelier again .

Surprised nobody has mentioned James McArthur yet who out of contract at the end of this season. He usually gets touted every summer.

Amoruso was a bombscare at first.
Gordan Petric too.
Alan McLaren.
Graham Roberts.

All took time to settle.
You just plucked those names out and hoped didn't you?

Amoruso was injured for 8 months and then looked like a cross between Beckenbauer and the Hulk in his debut at the Piggery. Might have been his best game for Rangers.

I wouldn't say Petric went on to have a great career at Rangers but I can't remember his debut.

McLaren was fantastic in his first few games. He dominated an OF cup semi final on his debut.

Roberts had Ibrox on it's feet and even got credited with a goal which he never touched:) against Dundee United. He was the poster child for the Souness christmas present. He arrived and we didn't concede a goal for a month and a half.

Yeah, a mistake on my part mate. Said a few posts later i made an arse of it. I didn't even know he was a centre forward, never mind the age of him :)

ROI player doesn't bother me mind you but, as said it doesn't matter anyway. Just a guy I liked the look of in, admittedly, limited times i had seen him.
Rep of Ireland players don't bother me either , but if we are in for Irish players ( Republic ones ) there is more chance of the player going to them & the media would make a big thing about it , we don't need to be giving the filth a helping hand to get one over on us , them making the big headlines if there a bigger pull than us , which they are not by a long shot .

I would not be surprised if a few of our top players have not caught the eye of bigger clubs and some rather tempting offers come in for them.

It isn't "blind staunchness" to say he's looked fine, if unspectacular.

Everything doesn't have to be instantly amazing or terrible.

Rep of Ireland players don't bother me either , but if we are in for Irish players ( Republic ones ) there is more chance of the player going to them & the media would make a big thing about it , we don't need to be giving the filth a helping hand to get one over on us , them making the big headlines if there a bigger pull than us , which they are not by a long shot .

I see your point but, would it really be one over us? As you say it's far more likely they would sign for the scum so for us it would be a bit of a free hit.

Hypothetically, if a ROI player comes to us, it makes their plastic paddy bullshit all the more pathetic and funny.

Goes to them, and we have maybe succeeded in driving up the fee and/or wages.

There is method in the utter pish I talk mate :)

Amoruso was injured for 8 months and then looked like a cross between Beckenbauer and the Hulk in his debut at the Piggery. Might have been his best game for Rangers.

I wouldn't say Petric went on to have a great career at Rangers but I can't remember his debut.

McLaren was fantastic in his first few games. He dominated an OF cup semi final on his debut.

Roberts had Ibrox on it's feet and even got credited with a goal which he never touched:) against Dundee United. He was the poster child for the Souness christmas present. He arrived and we didn't concede a goal for a month and a half.

No hoping about it mate, Amoruso was a great player for us but took an absolute powering from our support at times, especially at the start. I remember one particularly bad moment where he had a howler and cost us a goal at Ibrox. Possibly Dundee Utd? Anyway whoever the opposition, the crowds reaction was pretty brutal, the next time he got the ball. It certainly wasn't the only time that happened bit, fair to say he went on to have a great Rangers career.

Opinions mate. I had my season ticket when Amoruso arrived, and I genuinely had my heart i my mouth every time he was involved. Same with Roberts. Petric I thought was a little slow to get going (like McLaren), and I thought they both ended up good signings.

Just my thoughts. I don't see much there with Simpson yet, but it is very very early days for a boy who's barely played any football at all for a while.

Simpson was one of our better performers on Wednesday night.

I've got no idea how people have came to the conclusion that he's looked poor.

No hoping about it mate, Amoruso was a great player for us but took an absolute powering from our support at times, especially at the start. I remember one particularly bad moment where he had a howler and cost us a goal at Ibrox. Possibly Dundee Utd? Anyway whoever the opposition, the crowds reaction was pretty brutal, the next time he got the ball. It certainly wasn't the only time that happened bit, fair to say he went on to have a great Rangers career.
It was United but that wasn't the beginning of his career.

The discussion was because I have hopefully jumped to a too-early conclusion on Simpson and that I have never seen a Rangers cb whose first game or games were poor and has gone on to a decent career. Plenty, if not all, good players have had bad spells in their careers.

Helander was written off after one poor game against Livi in his second by many on here a bit like what your doing with Simpson just now and look how he turned out. Simpson hasn't started a game since early December so he's going to be a bit rusty

Jakub Jankto.

Midfield for me is the key area to look at this summer. We were previously linked with Jakub Jankto. I can’t claim to have seen anything other than You Tube reels, but from what I’ve read about him and seen on you tube, I think he would be a quality addition to the midfield.

Transfermarket have him valued at £9m, so whether or not we have the finances to get him is another question, but if we want to move to the next level, this is probably the sort of player we need to be looking at. We paid £7m for Kent, so depending on any outgoings and depending on champions league group stage qualification, then perhaps £9m for a quality addition is not completely out of the question.
I’m sure we tried to get him either in the summer or January

Helander was written off after one poor game against Livi in his second by many on here a bit like what your doing with Simpson just now and look how he turned out. Simpson hasn't started a game since early December so he's going to be a bit rusty
Again, like the posts above, he'd already played several other games beforehand and looked really good. Everyone has poor games and hopefully Simpson just had one of those but my point continues to be that I cannot remember a Rangers cb in the past 40 years who hasn't impressed on his first couple of appearances and then has gone on to a good career at Ibrox.

It might only mean we're overdue someone to break the sequence but history isn't on his side.

Love to keep the team together for another full season. CL qualification of course will be a big factor in that happening, and a big gamble if we fail to qualify and hope to offload a Barisic, Kamara or Helander to plug a financial gap before the window shuts.

This could be the first pre season where a bit of pressure is applied to Wilson via the board to actively look to move on a player we can get +£10m for.

I used to think Kamara would be the "easiest" to replace but I've kind of change my mind on that, he is crucial to our system, as is Barisic and Morelos. As much as I like Helander, I think we could replace him given good scouting and I think we have ample cover domestically for him.

I read that Daniel Finlayson, one of our young guys who has been on loan at St.Mirren, is going to make the move to them permanent.

Wright, Aribo and Hagi can play on the right
I agree but we seem to constantly chop and change that position.

Aribo is far better advanced his best role for us.

Hagi is very inconsistent, in and out the team I honestly don't think we best utilize him he should be played centrally in a 10 not wide.

I like the look of Wright lots of potential but he is a player we need to develop first.

I wouldn't be against selling Hagi and bringing in a Kent type player for the right side of the forward line.
FWIW, putting aside what happened against Slavia, I think Simon Deli would be a fantastic signing. If the rumours about the interest in Helander are true, we need to have a top level replacement in mind if he were to go. (Not that I want Helander to go btw)
Deli was a target before we signed Helander I found it strange how he ended up at Slavia Prague ?

And yes he is a good defender btw.

Last edited:
Re the talk re Itten and Simpson. It’s far too early to start writing them off. From what little I’ve seen of them Itten hasn’t had much of an impact compared to Wright or Patterson. Simpson has had no real opportunity and clearly needs a run of games to get up to speed as he looks good on the ball but on first impression a bit uncertain and not physical enough. The jury is out until they get a run of games and prove what they can do. It’ll be at least the end of next season before we can judge how good they are.
Don't see anyone writing them off but they are professional subs for us. Every squad needs them.

We are being linked with Danilho Doekhi. He's a 22 year old CB at Vitesse who's had a breakout season. Never really heard of him but he seems to be doing well and has room to grow

Seems highly rated plenty of experience for a 22 year old.

Intriguing.

Being linked Deli on a free and Doekhi and Okumu for relatively cheap is exciting.

If our players are open to letting Deli join the group then the club should be doing everything it can to make that happen, he is an outstanding player for our current level and could see us go up one or two. If they would rather not play with him after the Prague tie then I can't blame them.

Edmundson's time at the club seems to be over and while part of me does want the club to look after Katic due to his injury, he isn't good enough for Rangers.

Seeing players like this available for those prices makes the signing of Simpson even more questionable but I'm happy to give him time before being overly critical of the club. I don't want to accuse them of bad planning but we have 5 CB's on the books and there's still a massive drop in quality whenever Helander isn't playing.

Simpson being written off already? That could be a new record
He's not being written off, it's just that he's 24 with zero profile.

A 22 year old is apparently available from Vitesse for a fraction of his true market value after a great season in the Eredivise.

Simpson could end up delivering but the club can afford better players than him so some find the signing a bit confusing.

Being linked Deli on a free and Doekhi and Okumu for relatively cheap is exciting.

If our players are open to letting Deli join the group then the club should be doing everything it can to make that happen, he is an outstanding player for our current level and could see us go up one or two. If they would rather not play with him after the Prague tie then I can't blame them.

Edmundson's time at the club seems to be over and while part of me does want the club to look after Katic due to his injury, he isn't good enough for Rangers.

Seeing players like this available for those prices makes the signing of Simpson even more questionable but I'm happy to give him time before being overly critical of the club. I don't want to accuse them of bad planning but we have 5 CB's on the books and there's still a massive drop in quality whenever Helander isn't playing.
Deli on a free would be exceptional business regardless of our current options/potential outgoings he is a quality defender who is excellent on the ball.

I'll be brutally honest I didn't understand the Simpson deal found it strange especially now considering the players we are now linked with/available.

Goldson/Helander are a massive part of our success no other defender is near them in terms of there reliability/quality imo.

Balogun does a decent job but isn't in the same calibre but can be relied upon. Good cover option.

Early days for Simpson but see how he goes.

Katic has potential but is playing catch up now can see him going out on loan next season.

Edmundson is clearly is out of favour now and will likely go.

You can see why we are heavily linked with defenders now either Gerrard wants one more decent option in there or someone is off ie Goldson or Helander ?

Last edited:
Deli on a free would be exceptional business regardless of our current options/potential outgoings.

I'll be brutally honest I didn't understand the Simpson deal especially now considering the players we are now linked with/available.
Yeah, I don't really see why the club rushed to get another CB in.

We'd have been better off not loaning Edmundson out until the summer if it was a numbers thing.

Yeah, I don't really see why the club rushed to get another CB in.

We'd have been better off not loaning Edmundson out until the summer if it was a numbers thing.
Couldn't take the risk having only three defenders going into at the time a crucial part of the season.

Gerrard wanted rid of Edmundson clearly they've seen something with Simpson in his very limited appearances at Bournemouth.

He was given a long term deal so he's here for the foreseeable future.

I can't mind his name but I'd like us to sign the young guy who plays in the championship. We where linked but City apparently where close to signing him on deadline day before it fell through. Him and Sakala!

Regarding Simon Deli, above is pretty much how I see it. Top defender and would love to see him in the Rangers team! But I wouldn’t want it upsetting the team harmony!

Deli on a free would be exceptional business regardless of our current options/potential outgoings he is a quality defender who is excellent on the ball.

I'll be brutally honest I didn't understand the Simpson deal found it strange especially now considering the players we are now linked with/available.

Goldson/Helander are a massive part of our success no other defender is near them in terms of there reliability/quality imo.

Balogun does a decent job but isn't in the same calibre but can be relied upon. Good cover option.

Early days for Simpson but see how he goes.

Katic has potential but is playing catch up now can see him going out on loan next season.

Edmundson is clearly is out of favour now and will likely go.

You can see why we are heavily linked with defenders now either Gerrard wants one more decent option in there or someone is off ie Goldson or Helander ?
Pretty much agree with all of your assessment above.

I was a little surprised we kept Balogun on for another season tbh - nothing against him, and he has definitely done a job for us, but I think Goldson and Helander are far superior and if we want to move to the next level we need to be finding better than what we already have in our starting 11. Add in that we have Katic and Simpson in the squad, plus Leon King perhaps pushing through from the academy... yeah I was surprised Balogun’s contract was extended.

I think you could well be right btw, Goldson or Helander may well be away.

I was a little surprised we kept Balogun on for another season tbh - nothing against him, and he has definitely done a job for us, but I think Goldson and Helander are far superior and if we want to move to the next level we need to be finding better than what we already have in our starting 11. Add in that we have Katic and Simpson in the squad, plus Leon King perhaps pushing through from the academy... yeah I was surprised Balogun’s contract was extended.

I think Balogun would have been really good to keep around if it was just the core three of him, Goldson and Helander at the club in the summer.

We could have added two younger options and given them both time and a low pressure environment to get used to Scotland and the rest of the team.

With him and Simpson just getting contracts, we're locked into having at least 4 CB's at the club unless one of the main two are sold. Doesn't leave room for another unless both Edmundson and Katic are moved on.

I think Balogun would have been really good to keep around if it was just the core three of him, Goldson and Helander at the club in the summer.

We could have added two younger options and given them both time and a low pressure environment to get used to Scotland and the rest of the team.

With him and Simpson just getting contracts, we're locked into having at least 4 CB's at the club unless one of the main two are sold. Doesn't leave room for another unless both Edmundson and Katic are moved on.
I think Edmundson will be away for sure. Katic maybe on loan. But that still leaves Goldson, Helander, Balogun and Simpson... unless one of Goldson or Helander are away.... that would make space for a Deli for example to come in. Really hope Goldson is staying for at least one more year.

Reactions: cav
Front page of 2moros record has us closing in on Sakala
If it's true then that's a very good bit of business. He's the kind of striker teams pay £2.5-3.5 million, in the hope they can develop them further and they become a 9-10+ million pound striker. So getting him on a free transfer would be very good business.

Sakala also has that one thing we are missing upfront, Pace. We don't have that upfront and outside of Patterson, Kent and Wright we don't have a great deal of pace in our team.

Front page of 2moros record has us closing in on Sakala
That's Defoe's long term replacement I reckon if a deal does go through.

Balogun fully deserved another season he has played a big part at times and played way more than even I initially expected.

Back