Tavernier: I still have plenty to achieve at Rangers and this club is moving in the right direction

Bonnyloyal

JAMES Tavernier hasn’t always been everyone’s cup of tea as a Rangersplayer but right now you might say he is putting a lot of crosses in all the right boxes. When Mark Warburton was making the case to take his former player with him to Nottingham Forest not everyone was dead against taking the money and investing it elsewhere but it may prove one of the best bits of business Pedro Caixinha ever did – signing Alfredo Morelos be another one - to persuade this attack-minded full back that he was better off staying at Rangers.

After a man of the match display in the Old Firm match against Celtic in late December – at one point he was spotted slaloming between Scott Sinclair and Kieran Tierney and then placing a cross on Morelos’ forehead – Tavernier was at it again against Aberdeen on Wednesday night. As dominant as Rangers were for most of the night – the Dons threatened most when, two goals down, the match already seemed beyond them, it took Tavernier to provide the two genuine pieces of creative inspiration for both goals. First, his clever run and wicked right-foot cross was perfect for Morelos’ lurking back-post header, the he bisected the remants of the Aberdeen defence with a slide rule pass that saw Josh Windass brought crashing to earth by the luckless Joe Lewis. Just for good measure, he confidently claimed the ball for the spot kick and sent stand-in goalkeeper Danny Rogers the wrong way from the resultant penalty. Much as Graeme Murty insisted on a round of applause for goalkeeper Wes Foderingham in the Ibrox changing room afterwards, Tavernier too deserved an honourable mention.

While there have been false dawns in the past, it is further good news for a Rangers side who seem to finally be getting somewhere under Graeme Murty that the 26-year-old former Newcastle and Wigan player should be so insistent that he has no plans to go anywhere in this window. Championship outfits of the scale of Sunderland and Reading have been linked with an interest, but with 18 months of his contract still to run, Rangers may be wiser to consider extending his contract. They will certainly be hard pushed to find a replacement in what remains of the transfer window. “I don’t like to get into speculation but I’m fully committed to Rangers,” said Tavernier. “I’m still learning here and I’m still growing here. I’ve still got 18 months to go. It’s totally down to the club if they want to extend my contract. I’ll have to wait and see.”

Tavernier is comfortably through the 100-appearance mark since alighting in Scotland from Gary Caldwell’s Wigan in the summer of 2015 but is little wonder if he still feels he has unfinished business up here. Aside from the small matter of a Championship title and a Petrofac Cup win which he embellished with a fine goal, it would be nice to get something tangible to put in the trophy cabinet. Not to mention a little bit of one-upmanship in the Old Firm rivalry against Celtic. So far, besides a couple of draws, his only genuine success in the Glasgow grudge match came on penalties in the 2016 Scottish Cup semi-final. “I came here to win trophies,” said Tavernier. “Also, in all the Old Firm games I’ve played, I’ve only been on the winning side once so far. I want to win some more of them. So I still have unfinished business as a Rangers player.”

Wednesday night’s showing at Ibrox suggested that Rangers mean business in the latter part of this season. They leapfrogged Aberdeen to second, and with four new boys all playing a part, and Hamilton’s Greg Docherty – regardless of a day of no movement – likely to make it five, they now boast the kind of options which Graeme Murty could only dream of a couple of short weeks ago. When his lengthy injury list are fit and available to play a part, the Ibrox club should have no excuses for being able to find the answers to most things Premiership opposition has to throw at them. If not all of the new boys pulled up any trees, there was enough to suggest more down the line once they get to know their team-mates. And particularly impressive on Wednesday night was Sean Goss, a holding midfielder with excellent physique and range of passing on his left foot.

“The new lads gelled in well and we showed a good ability when we were attacking, although we know we can finish off more of the chances we create,” said Tavernier, ahead of Sunday’s visit to Ross County. “They all offer something new to the team and have all settled in really well. Three started against Aberdeen and Jason came on. They are going to have a big impact on the team in the second half of the season. We all have to step up our game.

“We have a big squad now and there are also a lot of guys to come back from injuries. It’s going to step up the standards with people trying to keep their places in the team. It will drive us to be better. Second place is the minimum we should be aiming for. We sent out a statement on Wednesday night but we can’t let that standard drop. We have to go to Ross County on Sunday with the same quality and desire to win the game. We are going in the right direction. We have shown it in the big games but now we have to show it in every single game.”

“I’m still learning here and I’m still growing here. I’ve still got 18 months to go. It’s totally down to the club if they want to extend my contract. I’ll have to wait and see.”

So we haven't offered him a new deal, as suggested on here?

“I’m still learning here and I’m still growing here. I’ve still got 18 months to go. It’s totally down to the club if they want to extend my contract. I’ll have to wait and see.”

Or the price has been named and it’s up to us to match it.

I would offer him the same terms as the top earner at the club. Getting him to sign a new deal would give us a massive boost. What a player he is for us.

That reads like someone who genuinely wants to be here.

Hopefully the club can get him on a new 3/4 year contract.

The level of signings recently doesn't just get fans excited. Players will begin to buy into our plan.

I would expect contract extensions for quite a few players soon.

He's a fantastic player.

I still can't believe some of our fans think he is pish.

Easily the best right back in Scotland and could play in the premiership.

We will make a fortune from him and other players in our squad. But let's hope they stay for a title (hopefully this year)

Great interview, nice to see quotes from Tav saying how much he wants to be here too.

Give that man a new contract Rangers!

He should be offered a new deal, as a valaubale asset, but he also needs to work on his defending.
Superb going forward though.

Extending his contract by another 3 or 4 years has to be a priority for us now.

No question.......seeing him go for less than 2.5 million would be disappointing to me. I think on a good run of form and us playing in Europe we could realistically see him going for 4-6 million. Now that we have forwards who can capitalize on what he brings the table going forward we'll see his value increase imo....

Fucking love Tav, he can be suspect at times defensively but he was spot on last night and him and Wes saved us late towards the game. We need to tie him down.

Sorry a bit tired, cannot read the OP just yet, but Tavernier has always been my cup of tea.
A fckn great player to watch.
The sort of guy you pay your money to see and he gets your 'fitba' juices going as soon as he gets on the ball.

Give him the money he wants.
It won't take long before clubs are knocking down our door to prise Tavs off our hands, and trust me, these clubs will be offering both us and Tavs serious dough.

Best defensive player on the park last night and hasn't been an issue this season now we have actual center backs.

Agreed he's better now we have CDs.
However, he's cost us a stack of goals with rank bad marking and poor positioning previously. He needs to work on that aspect of his game imo.

I've always liked Tav right since Championship season. I've also posted I think he wants away. I'll be happy, and surprised, if he signs on to stay. Hoping he does of course. He was excellent last night and superb against the mentally challenged.

“I came here to win trophies,” said Tavernier. “Also, in all the Old Firm games I’ve played, I’ve only been on the winning side once so far. I want to win some more of them. So I still have unfinished business as a Rangers player.”
Get the lad a contract extension, I want him to achieve his goals!!!

Bates ability to cover his side of the park has helped Tav enormously. He can bomb on and interchange with Candeias with a bit more security that he's not completely exposing our right flank if we lose possession.
Tav crosses the ball really well and the understanding with Candeias is starting to really blossom. The most dangerous pairing in the league imho.

If Murphy and John can get to a similar level on the left then we'll start demolishing teams.

Tav wants to win league titles here, he has the ambition and I think he is/was waiting to see whether the club would match that ambition. That was put to me anyway when there was speculation regarding his future going into the transfer window, where many felt he was about to depart.

I think prior to the window things were perhaps not looking too bright in that regard but with recent results and an incredibly strong transfer window, I think we have really put a marker down to say that we are going to be a genuine contender next season for the first time since returning to the Premiership.

I believe if we continue to sign good players and improve results that Tav will sign that new deal.

JAMES Tavernier hasn’t always been everyone’s cup of tea as a Rangersplayer but right now you might say he is putting a lot of crosses in all the right boxes. When Mark Warburton was making the case to take his former player with him to Nottingham Forest not everyone was dead against taking the money and investing it elsewhere but it may prove one of the best bits of business Pedro Caixinha ever did – signing Alfredo Morelos be another one - to persuade this attack-minded full back that he was better off staying at Rangers.

After a man of the match display in the Old Firm match against Celtic in late December – at one point he was spotted slaloming between Scott Sinclair and Kieran Tierney and then placing a cross on Morelos’ forehead – Tavernier was at it again against Aberdeen on Wednesday night. As dominant as Rangers were for most of the night – the Dons threatened most when, two goals down, the match already seemed beyond them, it took Tavernier to provide the two genuine pieces of creative inspiration for both goals. First, his clever run and wicked right-foot cross was perfect for Morelos’ lurking back-post header, the he bisected the remants of the Aberdeen defence with a slide rule pass that saw Josh Windass brought crashing to earth by the luckless Joe Lewis. Just for good measure, he confidently claimed the ball for the spot kick and sent stand-in goalkeeper Danny Rogers the wrong way from the resultant penalty. Much as Graeme Murty insisted on a round of applause for goalkeeper Wes Foderingham in the Ibrox changing room afterwards, Tavernier too deserved an honourable mention.

While there have been false dawns in the past, it is further good news for a Rangers side who seem to finally be getting somewhere under Graeme Murty that the 26-year-old former Newcastle and Wigan player should be so insistent that he has no plans to go anywhere in this window. Championship outfits of the scale of Sunderland and Reading have been linked with an interest, but with 18 months of his contract still to run, Rangers may be wiser to consider extending his contract. They will certainly be hard pushed to find a replacement in what remains of the transfer window. “I don’t like to get into speculation but I’m fully committed to Rangers,” said Tavernier. “I’m still learning here and I’m still growing here. I’ve still got 18 months to go. It’s totally down to the club if they want to extend my contract. I’ll have to wait and see.”

Tavernier is comfortably through the 100-appearance mark since alighting in Scotland from Gary Caldwell’s Wigan in the summer of 2015 but is little wonder if he still feels he has unfinished business up here. Aside from the small matter of a Championship title and a Petrofac Cup win which he embellished with a fine goal, it would be nice to get something tangible to put in the trophy cabinet. Not to mention a little bit of one-upmanship in the Old Firm rivalry against Celtic. So far, besides a couple of draws, his only genuine success in the Glasgow grudge match came on penalties in the 2016 Scottish Cup semi-final. “I came here to win trophies,” said Tavernier. “Also, in all the Old Firm games I’ve played, I’ve only been on the winning side once so far. I want to win some more of them. So I still have unfinished business as a Rangers player.”

Wednesday night’s showing at Ibrox suggested that Rangers mean business in the latter part of this season. They leapfrogged Aberdeen to second, and with four new boys all playing a part, and Hamilton’s Greg Docherty – regardless of a day of no movement – likely to make it five, they now boast the kind of options which Graeme Murty could only dream of a couple of short weeks ago. When his lengthy injury list are fit and available to play a part, the Ibrox club should have no excuses for being able to find the answers to most things Premiership opposition has to throw at them. If not all of the new boys pulled up any trees, there was enough to suggest more down the line once they get to know their team-mates. And particularly impressive on Wednesday night was Sean Goss, a holding midfielder with excellent physique and range of passing on his left foot.

“The new lads gelled in well and we showed a good ability when we were attacking, although we know we can finish off more of the chances we create,” said Tavernier, ahead of Sunday’s visit to Ross County. “They all offer something new to the team and have all settled in really well. Three started against Aberdeen and Jason came on. They are going to have a big impact on the team in the second half of the season. We all have to step up our game.

“We have a big squad now and there are also a lot of guys to come back from injuries. It’s going to step up the standards with people trying to keep their places in the team. It will drive us to be better. Second place is the minimum we should be aiming for. We sent out a statement on Wednesday night but we can’t let that standard drop. We have to go to Ross County on Sunday with the same quality and desire to win the game. We are going in the right direction. We have shown it in the big games but now we have to show it in every single game.”
I've just climbed out of bed big man. She is all yours. Fill your boots. :D

P.s for info bonnyloyal I was meaning Tav ;)

Tav is definitely a Rolls Royce of a player. A true athlete. Yes still young and learning in the fullback role but could easily move into midfield if required. Wes Foderingham. same deal swap full back for GK. Maybe we owe Warburton some thanks for these two. I get the feeling they wouldn't have followed him to Forest in a million years.

Tav is definitely a Rolls Royce of a player. A true athlete. Yes still young and learning in the fullback role but could easily move into midfield if required. Wes Foderingham. same deal swap full back for GK. Maybe we owe Warburton some thanks for these two. I get the feeling they wouldn't have followed him to Forest in a million years.

Don't think Wes could move to midfield.

Hope the only thing is delaying it is that we are busy getting new signings in. Should be top priority after the window closes.

He's definitely earned a new contract and as suggested elsewhere, the money saved on Wilson's contract when he goes (and possibly Alves too) can be put towards a decent increase for Tav. The cost of replacing him properly could potential be massive, and if the difference is giving him a decent increase in his wage while getting a larger transfer fee for him in the future, it's worth it.

Hopefully more players are like him and can smell proper European football and maybe a league win and want to stay to make it happen.

Getting Tav tied up is a must. The guy can be a game changer for us.

To allow his contract to whittle down would be a crime.

While I believe we could get a good fee for him lets get him tied up and not encourage any bids.

Reactions: TQ3
Great player with many terrific attributes and defo worthy of a new contract. If he could just work on his concentration and cut out some of the slackness he shows at times in games (after all he admits he's still learning himself), he could go up another level or two even still. He's starting to show the form we seen from him in his first 6 months at the club and wouldn't be surprised if he starts getting himself regularly in among the goals again (penalties excluded) in the coming months, so contract extension asap please before others start taking notice. Also wouldn't mind seeing him trying to recapture his range at direct free kicks around the box again too. We know what he's capable of from there.

Back