Tax Officials Blamed For Rangers Downfall – HMRC Mistake Wipes Millions From Ibrox Bill (The Times)

Why now?

Why does Murray give a toss when he was advised not to sell to Whyte but HBOS wanted it sold and saddled us with Muir and McGill?

The whole thing stll has more questions than answers but HMRC in the dock would be fun.

Maybe some who, why, at whose behest might actually come out eventually.

Murray - and all of his companies - were effectively owned by the bank in 2011.

The bank forced him to sell us to Whyte, and the SFA looked the other way when it came to the ‘fit and proper person test’ (something they now see as vital when it comes to King).

Murray could have gone down fighting of course, but he chose to throw us to the wolves to protect what remained of his reputation and his dwindling empire.

HMRC have confirmed that they vastly over billed Rangers oldco for EBT tax assessments. The ‘real’ bill would not have been sufficient to see the company sold and then pushed into admin - leading to the club being relegated and all the implications of that. A monumental scandal.

From CRO twitter

If this is true and HMRC went to town on us for a vastly inflated and incorrect sum which sent us into a financial spiral, then they are fooked and could be wide open to a massive damages claim.

The loss of earnings and assets from oldco, you are into hundreds of millions. This is an utter scandal and I hope we have recourse to sue HMRC ourselves somehow.

Oldco is going to be sitting with a huge surplus after all creditors have been settled. Unprecedented in any other liquidation in UK history.

Effectively we have been put through the last 10 years for nothing.

Someone seriously needs to pay for this.

Millions upon millions of pounds of public money spent trying to kill Rangers for taxes we didn't owe. Directed by Just whOm, exactly?

Well scumbags, wHoever you are, you failed. I look forward to your paiN, suffeRing and tormEnt when we wIn the league at the enD of the season.

HMRC have confirmed that they vastly over billed Rangers oldco for EBT tax assessments. The ‘real’ bill would not have been sufficient to see the company sold and then pushed into admin - leading to the club being relegated and all the implications of that. A monumental scandal.

From CRO twitter
Wow. Just wow.

There are no other words if this is the case.

Oldco etc could sue for multi millions.

Agree

Its such a scandal you almost wonder what could actually happen as a result. Could oldco legitimately sue HMRC for an abdolute fortune? Could we be due (stolen) money from the SPFL?

Could we bring the whole stinking carcass that is Scottish football to its knees?

Take our emotions out of it for a moment. HMRC's actions caused a company to go into admin and almost be liquidated. The actual company is f all now as it's assets have been sold.

But back to emotions, oldco must sue HMRC and the SPFL. Our name was destroyed by this action, and we are now just getting back to some what normality.

They made our brand toxic with the £100m+ tax bill shite that meant no one would touch us and left us to that cnt whyte.

This is beyond a scandal btw, this has to be investigated, preferably by someone out of Scotland.

Take our emotions out of it for a moment. HMRC's actions caused a company to go into admin and almost be liquidated. The actual company is f all now as it's assets have been sold.

But back to emotions, oldco must sue HMRC and the SPFL. Our name was destroyed by this action, and we are now just getting back to some what normality.

They made our brand toxic with the £100m+ tax bill shite that meant no one would touch us and left us to that cnt whyte.

This is beyond a scandal btw, this has to be investigated, preferably by someone out of Scotland.
Pretty sure someone has already said you can't sue HMRC so that's off table.

Suing the SPFL? Potentially not available due to the 5 way agreement.

Is it this guy,

No - that’s the news editor

If this is true and HMRC went to town on us for a vastly inflated and incorrect sum which sent us into a financial spiral, then they are fooked and could be wide open to a massive damages claim.
And then there is the constant leaks to certain bloggers

If they incorrectly billed rangers through negligence, incompetence or malice this could be huge.

A potential minefield awaits as usual no doubt.

If years more legal cases mean bringing those who done this to our club to justice then im all for it. Especially if there is a significant compensation package at the end of it.

Oldco shareholders and bond holders could be due some money. I don't see the club or supporters benefiting any, other than to see some taxmen and mentally challengeds squirming.

For a start withheld prize money and transfer fees. Loss of income through demotion (they voted to push down one league,.we could get at least that). Loss of income from the players that left. The use of the 5 way agreement to push us into accepting a one sided deal. There will be other claims, hopefully the board is up for the fight

That’s not really Murray’s fight though is it?
BDO’s yes. But murray
The loss of earnings and assets from oldco, you are into hundreds of millions. This is an utter scandal and I hope we have recourse to sue HMRC ourselves somehow.

Oldco is going to be sitting with a huge surplus after all creditors have been settled. Unprecedented in any other liquidation in UK history.

Effectively we have been put through the last 10 years for nothing.

Someone seriously needs to pay for this.
there was a lot of legit debtors also.
King is in for £20m also is he not?

I think im going to be sick. Its everything we've always said. Weve been totally fuckin ripped apart for nothing , put through hell for nothing.

The sick thing is surely, we cant gain out of this with the new company? This only rubs salt into the wounds.

Same, it goes way over my head because i try to ignore most of this side of the stuff, as its just been boring and depressing for years. Anyone actually explain what effect Murray suing HMRC would hav eeither?
Absolution for Murray?
Wouldn’t have thought so.
That said, if it were to emerge, legally, that Rangers were mistreated, it’d never fix the last seven years but it would give the Rangers support just a little bit of comfort.

I actually feel sick. We all knew something was far wrong but completely based on nothing??
Thousands of people’s lives have been turned upside down. People have been diagnosed with depression ffs!

Pretty sure someone has already said you can't sue HMRC so that's off table.

Suing the SPFL? Potentially not available due to the 5 way agreement.

Wheres the accountability in that though? There must be some avenue to sue them for damages etc. Otherwise they are allowed to act with impunity and make mistakes, deliberate or not, without threat of comeuppance over it.

This sort of overinflated assessment is standard practice from HMRC, usually to get a reaction if they are being ignored or tax affairs not being kept up to date.
I don’t know if we did any of that, highly unlikely, so at the very least HMRC should have to explain in great detail, why and by whom these over assessments were issued. Stinks to high heaven.
AT THE VERY LEAST.

I thought it wasn't a negative story?

Us being put through hell for no reason is about as negative as it gets. What's the positive side?!

Back