Tax Officials Blamed For Rangers Downfall – HMRC Mistake Wipes Millions From Ibrox Bill (The Times)

Even just being vindicated would be massive for us.

Although one day I'm confident that those of us with a conspiratorial bent will be proven right.

Whyte, Green and Ashley were all doing the bidding of our seperated brethren, aided and abettted by HMRC via John Reid.

Wheres the accountability in that though? There must be some avenue to sue them for damages etc. Otherwise they are allowed to act with impunity and make mistakes, deliberate or not, without threat of comeuppance over it.
Despite whatever delusions of grandeur it may hold, HMRC is a public body and it is accountable to the people.

It must tell us exactly how this happened, and show us the paper trail.

Lets be honest, we all knew we were stitched up from the get-go.

Looks like we will be vindicated at the very least, but I want a senior and high profile head on a silver platter at the very least - and an apology from Scottish football

Said it from the start, we had a reducing debt of £18m. That is fck all in football terms, it was manageable.

I’m far from an expert on this stuff but there can’t be no repercussions for HMRC on this surely?

Is there any chance the liquidation of Oldco can now be stopped, the two companies merged and Rangers benefitting from any compensation payment?

A few people in work have said that Murray was planning to get involved again. I obviously called it as crap.

However, maybe that means this is where the rumours were coming from.
I would’ve thought there’d be two moons in the sky before King would allow Murray to become involved with Rangers again.

The crux of this is that HMRC’s actions deliberately caused a perfectly legitimate business to go bust.

You can’t just hold your hands up and say “Sorry about that, lads”. There has to be justice.

Wasn’t there a recent example of banks doing this with SME’s?
It didn’t though. Non payment of PAYE and VAT did. This bill was post that.

A distressed sale caused by false assessments by HMRC which if they had been made correctly could easily have been repaid. Plus an incorrect creditor value used to block a CVA which arguably wouldn’t have happened if treated correctly. Good luck untangling that one.

^^ A good point made on twitter.

If the Copland Road Org tweet is true then wow, just fucking wow.

I don’t know how I’ll feel if it’s confirmed that is the case.

I suppose we better strap ourselves in again.

This sort of overinflated assessment is standard practice from HMRC, usually to get a reaction if they are being ignored or tax affairs not being kept up to date.
I don’t know if we did any of that, highly unlikely, so at the very least HMRC should have to explain in great detail, why and by whom these over assessments were issued. Stinks to high heaven.
AT THE VERY LEAST.

As been said before, mate. Murray's empire was fooked after the global recession, interested individuals at HMRC smelt blood and acted accordingly. It looks like they deliberately fed him a grossly inflated and most importantly, an incorrect tax bill they knew he couldn't pay. We were stitched up.

Agree

Its such a scandal you almost wonder what could actually happen as a result. Could oldco legitimately sue HMRC for an abdolute fortune? Could we be due (stolen) money from the SPFL?

Could we bring the whole stinking carcass that is Scottish football to its knees?

No. We went into administration because Craig Whyte stopped paying tax owed to HMRC from wages paid that season. The EBT thing was hanging over us and had other impacts but that was a separate historical issue from when Murray owned the club.

If I remember right. Before we sold to whyte or bank debt was decreasing. Was it not something like sixteen million. I've always thought that the HMRC claim and the numbers were pure fantasy at best.

The subsequent threat of that and the sale of the club because of that and all the shady things that happened after it could really be put on hrmc.

Maybe that's what the story will be about.

Correct

16 million plus 20 odd million ebt tax liabilities equalling a total of no more than 40 million

The playing squad being sold would've raised most of that.

We would still have been in a poor position, but wouldn't have been demoted, could have retained European football etc etc

I would’ve thought there’d be two moons in the sky before King would allow Murray to become involved with Rangers again.

That was my reply at the time. I think this has been brewing behind the scenes and people have heard murmerings and went 2+2=5

Just seen this on twitter and forgot about it

Plus an incorrect creditor value used to block a CVA which arguably wouldn’t have happened if treated correctly

This is a monumental fck up!

King has said there is a legal plan to get Oldco back. Now is the time

That would be a massive boost for all of us.

It might be the best we can hope for.

I'd take being vindicated because there is fukk all we can do about the past.

I am suffering from some sort of selective amnesia.

Can someone remind me what part Craig Whyte's refusal to pay PAYE had on putting us into admin?

Have HMRC got their sums wrong on this as well as the EBT?

Whatever the reason, this is a an outrage of epic proportions.

HMRC better come up with some fxxking answers.

Its worth remembering the apparently fictitious big tax bill resulted in Murray selling to Whyte whose sole aim was to drive us into liquidation and strip our assets.

It led to us losing tens of millions in player assets, prize money and potential income from European competition. We were also subject to a transfer ban, forced down to the bottom division and fined on numerous occasions by the SFA/SPFL for resultant 'indiscretions'

A massive carve up

So did the HMRC officer deliberately overstated the assessment? Surely in that case it was a “best estimate” assessment due to lack of paperwork?

There’s a lot that needs looked into if this is true. Starting with the HMRC officer who raised the initial assessment.

I’m not sure I get the CRO bit about the bill being insufficient to see the company sold. The banks played Murray’s hand didn’t they ? Certainty liquidation came about due to the bigger ‘mythical’ tax case. All very interesting but I can only see Murray gaining anything if the donkeys years of court battles go his way.

TBH, finding out the last 7-8 years happened for %^*& all would be a boot to the stones I am not fully prepared for.

Exactly mate. I feel the same. Years of hell in them lower divisions and waking up every morning not even knowing if we would have a club to support anymore. Absolute torture

If anything it’ll only prove what we already know that it was a massive stich up.

Those talking about compensation would that not only be due (if anything) to those in charge at the time (mainly David Murray)? That would therefore have no impact on modern day Rangers.

Lets be honest, we all knew we were stitched up from the get-go.

Looks like we will be vindicated at the very least, but I want a senior and high profile head on a silver platter at the very least - and an apology from Scottish football

You need to remember that the people largely responsible for our travails will be from the same demographic who have been successfully pulling out all the stops to keep a lid on a half century's long paedophile ring, and to stop that wretched club from paying out millions in compensation to their victims.
Their sleekit tentacles are everywhere in Scotland's corridors of power.

Wonder why this has come out now?

Not saying it's 100% the reason but BDO file a creditors report every six months & there could've been a leak of the upcoming one.

An absolute disgrace what HMRC (and whoever was helping them) have done. Would be considered too mental for Hollywood.

No overinflated tax bill = no Murray desperate to sell = no Craig whyte = no administration.

Doesn't work like that. The club owed PAYE and Whyte didn't pay it. HMRC put the club into admin for the tax owed under Whyte. Not a snowball's chance in hell of any legal action from that.

Back