The enigma that is Joe Aribo

He’s in the same position as Hagi for me.

Not suited to a midfield three, and not making the most of him when starting out wide.

Essentially, we don’t play the one number ten behind a striker that suits Hagi and Aribo. I feel like they do a job, but I suppose you’ve got to think about it sensibly on a long term basis if we get any good bids for them.

If we could use any potential money to buy a proper midfielder for a midfield three, or a proper wide man, it may make more sense.

Joe Aribo is a luxury player , I would play him against the scum at Ibrox no problem there , but I wouldn't play him against them at the sty especially if it's a volatile sort of game as he will disappear

Joe Aribo is a luxury player , I would play him against the scum at Ibrox no problem there , but I wouldn't play him against them at the sty especially if it's a volatile sort of game as he will disappear
You can add Hagi as well.
Neither are suited by games where you have to battle.

He’s in the same position as Hagi for me.

Not suited to a midfield three, and not making the most of him when starting out wide.

Essentially, we don’t play the one number ten behind a striker that suits Hagi and Aribo. I feel like they do a job, but I suppose you’ve got to think about it sensibly on a long term basis if we get any good bids for them.

If we could use any potential money to buy a proper midfielder for a midfield three, or a proper wide man, it may make more sense.
Have to agree with that.

We heard Beale say last season that we try to flit between 4-3-2-1 and 4-2-3-1.

So if we’re playing the latter, wouldn’t Aribo be perfect for the centre of that advanced 3?

And yet, we rarely if ever play him there.

Instead we tend to use him on the flanks where I always feel his one-footedness more or less telegraphs what he’s going to do.

It’s a curious one because obviously the management know what they’re doing and have achieved huge success with the systems they play so really who are any of us to start questioning that, but at the same time I can’t help feeling we’re still not getting the best out of Joe Aribo and if we’re not going to give him a freer role behind the striker then he may continue to frustrate.

Aribo isn't a central midfielder it's not his best position he is best suited to a proper number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1 he has played that role and ripped teams apart especially at Ibrox when we really attack teams.

Aribo is also effective in a 4-3-2-1 as the right forward.

The two areas above are his best positions he hasn't been at his best lately but this is where he needs to play regularly.

At Charlton he was moved forward into a number 10 and massively excelled and Gerrard should know this by now but with Zungu not good enough and Arfield toiling since injury and Jack injured again I suppose we have had no choice but to play him centrally.

Aribo is a fantastic talent but we need to utilize him in the correct areas where he does his best work.

i sound like a broken record but that’s 4/5 Old Firm’s he has played in and he has been poor in every single one.

Still continues to start in big games but it baffles me. I mean today he genuinely couldn’t find his own man from 5yards, wtf.
This he was really poor in possession and cannot believe he lasted as long as he did, Wright should have been in a lot earlier tbh

Thing is he isn't a kid he will be 25 in July. He should be producing every week at this point in his career. Great technically but frustrates me a lot.

For me it’s as simple as he is NOT a centre midfielder. Very rarely have I seen him play well as the left of centre, CM. He struggles playing facing the game I think.

Right if a front three is his natural pistol where he can play with back to goal and influence game better with his skills.

no more at centre mid!!

We played with 8 men yesterday.
Aribo,Hagi and Balagoun were posted missing.

Watched the game back. Balogun wasn’t as bad as I first thought.

Balogun looked like a centre half playing RB but at the goal if Goldson had kept running he is cutting out the cross. Helander probably should have got a touch on the cross too. A poor goal from the three of them.

he also won the header Morelos knocked in.

celtic actually put more crosses into our box and laxalt (who was their best player) became more involved when Balogun went off.

Agree Aribo was posted missing, Hagi tried and had some nice touches, just doesn’t have the legs to cover the ground in that position.

I should point out that while we can look at Aribo and say ‘we might need to replace him because he’s not a natural CM’, you could flip it on its head and ask why don’t we replace Arfield and Jack with more reliable players and let Aribo do his stuff further up the park more often.

Think both sides of the argument need looked at.

Back