The enigma that is Joe Aribo

I'm a massive fan of Joe
I believe he's got unbelievable tekkers
His close control & ability in tight areas is up there with best in the game

But I'm beginning to think he's a luxury we can't afford

I was gutted when Wee Dick got rid of Amato (another very skilful player imo) & I remember opinion at the time saying he was a luxury we couldn't afford & that his contribution was only in flashes

I've tried to think of ways to get more out of Joe - like play him further up the park - give him a freer role etc. - but I think I'm all out of suggestions now

Reluctantly - I have to say JA's consistency & ultimate contribution isn't cutting it

Said it for weeks. He is frustrating Kent can play sh*t but he’s still a danger joe is great or a man down.
Vast majority he’s a man down unfortunately.
He’s a phucking baller, but we need a ‘baller/team player’. Jo doesn’t do enough and this was the reason they kunts were able to look up and spray passes to their full backs/midfield all day long.
Was he played out of position-definitely.

It’s either him or Hagi moving forward IMO - the 4-3-3 can’t support both of them.

Definitely shouldn’t be anywhere near the midfield. I think he lacks a bit of fight when playing sides that are giving us a game.

He reminds me of what we got from Barrie McKay, talent is not in doubt, on their day unplayable but too much meh.

Lack of application that I think you either have or don’t have that hunger.

A 9 out of 10 once every couple of months, with quite a few 5s is no good to us, we need everyone to be a minimum 7 out of 10 week in week out.

He's not remotely comprable to Barrie McKay ffs. He's a champion for starters.

As the OP says, he is clearly doing his bit and contributing. We're just at the point in his development where we can expect a wee bit more.

Cool mate.

I'm happy to let you have your self designated throne of self importance.

Carry on.

What’s self important about wanting to discuss a player’s performance on a discussion forum? That’s what this place is for.

You’re just angry because you were looking for staunch points but instead took a custard pie to the coupon. Aribo didn’t have a good game, he’s poor in nearly every OF game, we’re allowed to talk about it. Just accept it for what it is and stop trying to be a smart arse.

What’s self important about wanting to discuss a player’s performance on a discussion forum? That’s what this place is for.

You’re just angry because you were looking for staunch points but instead took a custard pie to the coupon. Aribo didn’t have a good game, he’s poor in nearly every OF game, we’re allowed to talk about it. Just accept it for what it is and stop trying to be a smart arse.

You're next player apology thread after prolonged criticism will be good to see.

I've no interest in debating with you here mate, carry on doing what your doing and we'll get you to change it later.

You're next player apology thread after prolonged criticism will be good to see.

I've no interest in debating with you here mate, carry on doing what your doing and we'll get you to change it later.
Aribo can blow everyone away from now till the end of his contract, but he’ll never be due an apology from me because everything in my OP is history, it’s happened and it can’t be rewritten. If I wrote him off and said he’s not a player and he’ll never step up in an OF game maybe he’d be due an apology from me down the line, but I didn’t and he won’t. Ultimately I think you need to grow up and accept that your jibe was needless and unwarranted, but either way you’re not really worth the time. Staunch as %^*& though.

He either needs to play the more attacking role or not at all he’s just not a CM almost feel sorry for him.

It should be him or HAGI going forward especially in the “big” games

Aribo can blow everyone away from now till the end of his contract, but he’ll never be due an apology from me because everything in my OP is history, it’s happened and it can’t be rewritten. If I wrote him off and said he’s not a player and he’ll never step up in an OF game maybe he’d be due an apology from me down the line, but I didn’t and he won’t. Ultimately I think you need to grow up and accept that your jibe was needless and unwarranted, but either way you’re not really worth the time. Staunch as %^*& though.

I'm not interested in debating with you.
My first and second post on this thread made my point, I'm happy with that.

Get over yourself and move on, if you feel the need, put me on ignore.

I wonder what happens to him in these games? I mentioned it after Thursday but I’m a huge fan of him, he’s such a gifted player and we’ve seen him produce moments of real quality to win us games and provide us with great entertainment in general.

So why do these games seem to pass him by? That’s a fair few times now in games against them where you’d barely know he was there and when he does get on the ball he’s not exactly being productive. Like I said, I’m a huge fan but I’m mystified by this and hope the gaffer can find a way to get him firing in these fixtures. Far too much talent to not be a factor in these types of games.
It’s a conundrum right enough , I think home to the majority of the league teams , we can play Joe Aribo in midfield , playing septic , some tougher away games , tough European games I’m not sure .

In saying that , our results are decent enough , so maybe it’s worth persevering with ?

When Hagi went off , I’d have took Joe off as well today , rather than stick him forward , better to stick Scott Wrights pace upfront .

I think he was decent enough in the two games in Dec 19 played in the right 10 position despite lacking a cutting edge. He's now had a few poor performances in the left 10 position(Sept 2019) and playing in the midfield 3 (January and today).

There's a lot of debate about what position he's best suited in. I personally think it's irrelevant and used as an excuse to justify poor performances. He played Thursday at the right 10 and was miles off it, he played today at centre midfield and it was the same.

Last season, lots of people were saying he was a central midfielder and now people are saying he's better further forward. I think the reality is much more prosaic, if he doesn't approach the game with intensity and make more of an effort to impose himself physically then at a higher level he'll struggle to make an impact regardless.

Last edited:
aribo gets more excuses for poor performances on this forum than any other player, he’s played around 80 games for us, honestly how many good games has he had?

He has more than contributed to this monumental season.

Suppose some always need a target.
Has anyone said anything wrong in this thread you have replied to?

Can every player be a superstar in every game? No one is saying that.

I think the thing is, people have seen the skill Aribo has, and they are wanting to see that skill in these 'showpiece' games. And get it right up the filth, because he HAS the talent.

On the other hand, we make dumplings like Laxalt look decent today. (Not all down to Aribo of course)

Punters get pissed off and rightly so.

Has anyone said anything wrong in this thread you have replied to?

Can every player be a superstar in every game? No one is saying that.

I think the thing is, people have seen the skill Aribo has, and they are wanting to see that skill in these 'showpiece' games. And get it right up the filth, because he HAS the talent.

On the other hand, we make dumplings like Laxalt look decent today. (Not all down to Aribo of course)

Has the lad contributed towards this momentous season?

He is being played in midfield, his best position is an Inside Right and that’s where you see a totally different player. It’s the management. He doesn’t play as well in the midfield 3.

"Far too much talent to not be a factor in these types of games"

More absolute nonsense from this OP. The guy was a stand out Cup Final against them, was a stand out at Parkhead the following fixture and contributes to the win at New Year.

We'll no doubt see an apology thread a year from now for Aribo.

How he lasted 77 minutes today is anyone’s guess, he was a player down. Has tons of talent but disappears in too many games. He’s young, maybe that’ll improve with maturity.

He is being played in midfield, his best position is an Inside Right and that’s where you see a totally different player. It’s the management. He doesn’t play as well in the midfield 3.
So, he gets the ball in the box and he doesn't play the correct ball because he doesn't have a number 8 shirt on his back?

Nah, not cutting it for me.

I love his talent. But it wasn't there today.

A truly brilliant dribbler of the ball.

A terrible passer.

His technique to pass the ball is so odd, it’s like his body goes all stiff then his leg locks into positions and scuffs the ball in a general direction.

For a guy with such a good touch and control of the ball, his passing his really bad.

I say this as someone who really likes Aribo.

Stroll it? Take a step back.

Massive week and season.

The need to criticise is on here is commendable but utterly needless.
With his talent he should be strolling a game against garbage. Basically, you are standing up for a player who gave us sod all today.

Aribo, Kent, Kamara and Hagi were garbage today. That's just an observation.

They have 5 in midfield we have 3
Clearly undermanned, we all can see

Their midfield possession is so much more
Give them that, they will not score

Cheating, Diving is what they strive
Sorry Scum it’s 55
WATP

A terrible passer.

His technique to pass the ball is so odd, it’s like his body goes all stiff then his leg locks into positions and scuffs the ball in a general direction.

For a guy with such a good touch and control of the ball, his passing his really bad.

I don't know if folk have just had to much to drink or if they really believe what they're typing.

Joe Aribo is a terrible passer. Fcuk me.

With his talent he should be strolling a game against garbage. Basically, you are standing up for a player who gave us sod all today.

Aribo, Kent, Kamara and Hagi were garbage today. That's just an observation.

Cool mate. There really is no point in this conversation.

You're an enigma on here.............If we saw perfection, you'd still need to find a reason to complain, it's ingrained.

It is what it is.

A terrible passer.

Can we speak about that we Spanish lad you lauded on here for long and weary?

Opinions are like..........................................

Cool mate. There really is no point in this conversation.

You're an enigma on here.............If we saw perfection, you'd still need to find a reason to complain, it's ingrained.

It is what it is.
I have no mind to just argue with you bud. I simply don't.

But what we witnessed today and even on Thursday is beginning to feel like a team who has achieved Goal#1 and has now downed tools.

I could be wrong and blawing through my jacksie. I hope so.

Aribo wasn't the only one who let us down today, far from it. But that's two games these last few days, and we've basically been a midfield down.

We should at least as fans be able to point these issues out.

I have no mind to just argue with you bud. I simply don't.

But what we witnessed today and even on Thursday is beginning to feel like a team who has achieved Goal#1 and has now downed tools.

I could be wrong and blawing through my jacksie. I hope so.

Aribo wasn't the only one who let us down today, far from it. But that's two games these last few days, and we've basically been a midfield down.

We should at least as fans be able to point these issues out.

What they achieved was monumental and took something we haven't seen for many years.

I personally don't like the need to criticise at first opportunity.

Each to their own.

I fuckin love Joe, so i am biased, didn't have his best game today, but who did? We are still unbeaten and i am very happy

Posted in another thread - we have decisions to make in the close season regarding our formation and system if we want to continue to develop and accommodate both Aribo and Hagi.

We seem to be fixed on the 433 that has taken a while to click but has this season delivered the league and some of our most consistent results in decades.

So either the system changes or the players in question need to do better.

We’ve got two unpolished diamonds in those two. I want to see them truly sparkle in Rangers shirts before they inevitably move on.

For me Hagi is a 10 and so far Aribo looks most effective as a wide forward. Add Kent and a striker to the mix then it starts to shape as a 4231. But then that in turn adds pressure to Davis + AN Other, be it Jack or Kamara or whoever.

Looking forward to see how it shapes up.

He has the ability to be a superstar. But Jesus Christ every time he touched the ball today he gave it straight back to Celtic. He was the same against Prague. To me it’s all In his head.
It is. He is the opposite of 'gallus'. He doesn't have the belief to dominate games as he should be.

Pre injury he was on great form

since returning he has looked like he’s really struggling, languid, short passes to team mates, no real running power going forward or back (Hagi was the same today)

Is it just a case of poor form?

We will be upgrading in the summer and certain players are maybe catching the managers eye for the wrong reason in the last few games.

All that being said.
55, still undefeated and 1 more cup to go for.
let’s go
Like others in the team, I think he misses Ryan Jack. RJ is such an intelligent player, he seems to know instinctively where the action’s going to be and covers it. Not only does this allow others to go where it hurts, it also gives them more confidence to try things without having to worry about attacks breaking down. Relaxed players tend to play better.

If I was to be really critical it would be to say that I don’t feel he’s really kicked on from last season.

He has flashes of real brilliance and is arguably the single most skilful player we have, but you could probably count the number of games he was a standout throughout in on the fingers of one hand.

In games like today he’s in the team for that ability to produce a moment or two of real magic yet still seems to lack a degree of self belief in getting on the ball and making things happen.

At the same time, it’s been a long season and as a team we’ve been absolutely superb, so we need to acknowledge that he’s played his part in that success.

We’d probably do well to keep that in mind this evening.

It is. He is the opposite of 'gallus'. He doesn't have the belief to dominate games as he should be.

This is it.

Skill in abundance, but see if Big Joe had a gallus streak ? He'd be unstoppable.

I think he's a cracking footballer. All I want is for him to believe in his ability more, because he can do it.

Particularly poor for me today, wasteful in possession which you just can't afford in this type of game.

He is a real asset but I really think we need to let him find his best position and stick to it.

Be interesting to see his percentage this season of where he starts position wise.

I wonder what happens to him in these games? I mentioned it after Thursday but I’m a huge fan of him, he’s such a gifted player and we’ve seen him produce moments of real quality to win us games and provide us with great entertainment in general.

So why do these games seem to pass him by? That’s a fair few times now in games against them where you’d barely know he was there and when he does get on the ball he’s not exactly being productive. Like I said, I’m a huge fan but I’m mystified by this and hope the gaffer can find a way to get him firing in these fixtures. Far too much talent to not be a factor in these types of games.
I don't agree that he is that good apart from a few games I don't see what he gives us in bigger games, he is slow, loses possession easily, and just doesn't fill me with confidence, I know he is well thought of but in my opinion we need someone better for next season.

I'm a massive fan of Joe
I believe he's got unbelievable tekkers
His close control & ability in tight areas is up there with best in the game

But I'm beginning to think he's a luxury we can't afford

I was gutted when Wee Dick got rid of Amato (another very skilful player imo) & I remember opinion at the time saying he was a luxury we couldn't afford & that his contribution was only in flashes

I've tried to think of ways to get more out of Joe - like play him further up the park - give him a freer role etc. - but I think I'm all out of suggestions now

Reluctantly - I have to say JA's consistency & ultimate contribution isn't cutting it
His only restrictions are in his own head. As naturally talented a player as I've seen in Scotland but the only way to get more out of him as you say is installing more self belief.

Great player on his game, but we dont see it enough. Said after the game on Thursday, if we get a good bid for him in the summer i would sell and re invest.

Back