The galling thing is Celtic are bang average

think this gets overstated.

sakala is yet to start for us against the scum and after today has 50% of alfie's entire goal tally vs them.

it's true he brings a whole lot more than goals. but it's not often we've seen morelos perform at his best in games against them.

You’re joking, right?

He’s put in some incredible old firm performances against them without scoring. He’s won 8 of his last 10 matches against them.

Got a 10 day ban for saying something about McGregor in a match thread but it's true, he's cost us the league this season. His errors coupled with Gio continuing to pick him.

I fear for Thursday night. Against Leipzig in the first leg they almost scored twice from crossed balls due to him being planted on his line.

To many ifs there mate we don't know who's leaving or how much the board will give us ,they didn't spend a penny of the Patterson/Gerrard money & that cost us the league am not over convinced that the money we think we will get to spend on the team will be there , once again the Tim's will spend more than us to keep us at bay all would have been different if the board had the vision to speculate to accumulate.

Too much negativity there mate, I'll pass.

Columbia’s misuse of Alfie have fucked us. 4 games vs them he missed. 4 games he’d have changed the outcome of
He didn't have to go. He could have and should have put us before Columbia....especially as he knew that he had no chance of game time with that coach. He should have withdrawn/retired whilst that coach was in place.

More to our failure this year than just that. Goalkeeping situation played a massive part. Our stagnant transfer window didn't help. Injuries. Some bad calls in games.

They went on a good run and sure they were helped at times by the clock and by a couple of teams who just go through the motions. In the most part though, they comfortably took care of the bread and butter teams with relative ease whilst we toiled, overplayed and safe passed the paint off the ball far to often.

Last edited:
Absolutely no reason to fear them next season.

Their champions league money will go on tying down CCV, Jota, Maeda and they’ll be put out in the groups, likely finishing bottom. They are flat track bullies and can’t cope against any decent side.

We’ve proved in Europe that we have much higher ceiling in terms of our performance levels.

It’s about finding the consistency. Admittedly we have shot ourself in the foot but we’ve been desperately unlucky - change of manager mid season, loss of countless players at key times and some awful refereeing decisions.

Another factor to consider is how an extended European run almost always comes at the detriment of domestic success. In 2008 we lost the league, as did they in 2003.

We’ll be taking our league title back next season.

pretty confident for next season if the slug stays in place.

however we have beaten them once in 90 minutes this season. they're clearly doing something right.

I know how you feel mate at times the truth hurts , the board let us down big time this year that's now why we are runners up .
Think it's a bit unfair to pin it on the board as they would have been aware of what the yearly loss was going to be and we still should have had enough with maybe the addition of a striker in December
Gerrard leaving,loss of form from some key players,shagger a season too far,refereeing decisions and an inability to finish teams off have all had a part to play
Financials should be better this year and hopefully with player trading we can strengthen once we know who wants to stay

Their champions league money will go on tying down CCV, Jota, Maeda and they’ll be put out in the groups, likely finishing bottom. They are flat track bullies and can’t cope against any decent side.

We’ve proved in Europe that we have much higher ceiling in terms of our performance levels.

It’s about finding the consistency. Admittedly we have shot ourself in the foot but we’ve been desperately unlucky - change of manager mid season, loss of countless players at key times and some awful refereeing decisions.

Another factor to consider is how an extended European run almost always comes at the detriment of domestic success. In 2008 we lost the league, as did they in 2003.

If you look at anges record in Japan, he won the league with mariners and finished 9th the following season.

My guess is teams sussed his tactics and he has no plan b

Ffs man.

We were ahead, but we should have been further ahead. The change over the course of the season is not that we got worse, they got better. Our points per game under each manager will end up very similar.

Our previous manager left us mid season, leaving a new man with a huge challenge of getting to know his team, the league, in the middle of a season. He’s got there, but it took some poor performances for his to see whag works and what doesn’t.

We now look like a team that can win the league, but it’s come too late.

Another factor for me has been the away matches pre & post GVB.

When Gerrard left we hadn’t played away to Sheep, Livi, Hearts, Scum, Hibs.

There’s no doubt the early fixtures suited us.

I’m not going down that route. They’re unbeaten in 29 games. Head to head, they shaded it versus us. Yes, both teams, on their day we’re much better but that doesn’t win leagues. They play with intensity every game. They go for the jugular. We go 2 up versus Motherwell and drop our levels - draw. We let Aberdeen go 2 up, at home - draw. They’ve scored more goals than us and let less in. If we’re the better team (and I think we are), then we need to turn that stat around.

Over the years watching ce@#ic destroy Scottish Football, it has saddened me very much. During our dark years, year after year they were shit in Europe, Aberdeen was their main rivals but were more than happy to play second fiddle.

Having money to burn they had a knack of buying good players from rival Premier League Teams only to loan them back out to other teams, or even have the players just sitting on the bench without getting much game time.

Rangers come back to the top tier in Scottish Football and within a 4-5 year period our consistent performances in Europe gave Scotland back some much needed credibility, only to have ce#@ic steal our thunder which by the way I believe was decided before a ball was even kicked this season.

They got pumped in three different Euro Tournaments this season which proves that their current squad is nothing special, however the the refs in Scotland have officiated many games in their favour and it is just sickening. I don't want to go down the conspiracy road theory, however this season Rangers have been refereed differently and it has cost us dearly.

Could it be that the decision was made by the SPFL and SFA, under no circumstances can they have Rangers winning the League as it would look very bad on the agreement that was signed off on to promote CINCH, which of course as we all know did not have the backing of the Rangers Board .

I’m not going down that route. They’re unbeaten in 29 games. Head to head, they shaded it versus us. Yes, both teams, on their day we’re much better but that doesn’t win leagues. They play with intensity every game. They go for the jugular. We go 2 up versus Motherwell and drop our levels - draw. We let Aberdeen go 2 up, at home - draw. They’ve scored more goals than us and let less in. If we’re the better team (and I think we are), then we need to turn that stat around.
We have played them 5 times this season won 2 lost 2 drawn 1.

I think it's obvious we have a better side. Anybody think they could make a Euro semi? Boyd hit the nail on the head pre match. It was thrown away by a blip of bad form while they kept on winning.
That's the thing.

Watching that Celtic team, there is no way it could reach a European semi. Even in the Conference league.

Not dropping McGregor when we should have, injuries to key players at key times (Morelos only played against them once this season) and weak officials have cost us the league.

In hindsight, if Gerrard had walked after Malmo, I think we'd have won the league

There was too much disruption and it cost us

GvB has proved he has something. Unfortunately, the last 3 games against them we've picked up 1 point out of 9 and it's killed us

Had we avoided the unrest of Gerrard's departure, we'd have been fine. Time to look ahead and give GvB the funds to build his own team

I don’t think we’re bang average. Thursday night will prove that.

For them to win a league with us in it, they must be a decent side. I think they’ve been very “lucky” with refereeing decisions but they’ve been competitive even without that. I think they are built to be a side that beats teams worse than them whilst we are built to compete with teams better than us but that doesn’t make them average.

Folk on here misjudged the gap at the end of last year and have spent the entire season covering up their own misjudgment by doing down both sides. The reality is they’ve still got more money and removing the poisonous idiot they had in charge reset the league to a coin toss provided they spent their exces cash reasonably well.

They’ve had a hunger about them all season that was missing from us for large parts and ultimately that’s been the difference.

We have played them 5 times this season won 2 lost 2 drawn 1.
In the league, they’ve shaded it though. Even including the Scottish Cup, there’s nothing between the sides. If we’re better (I believe we are) then We need to address some of our problems. For me they are: mentality in easier games, squad depth and formation versus easier teams.

They are an average side in general as European results show, but good for SPL standards and the high press style makes them very good against the standard in our league.

Teams just aren't good enough to deal with a high press, they stay pinned back and just hoof it clear. They can only sustain that energy for about 55 minutes but it's usually enough against the crap in Scotland.

We took 1 point from 9 from them..
So we won the first game lost two and drew 1 so unless I,m mistaken we took 4 points from them .unless you are only counting gios games.but unfortunately we play them 4 times a season.if you look at the entire season including cups we played hem 5 times won 2 lost 2 drew 1.
So taking the entire season including Cup games we have won the same as them and drawn the same as them.
By the way if you are just counting gios game then I would perhaps mention that you should just say its gios games as I was talking about the hole season.

Celtic lucked out this year with a decent keeper and two loans. The Japanese players just run about. McGregor, Juranovic and Rogic are decent. That's it. Dortmund games killed our league. We were battle weary then. Now we are battle hardened.
We will win the league next year and quality for the Champions League.
Celtic will keep Meada and Jota. CCV wants to play in EPL. Spurs want £10mill for him. He was their best player.
they don't spend big. They do buy to sell player trading they see themselves as transfer geniuses.
Ntcham £4.5m. Got paid off.
Jullian £7m. Barkas £4.5m. Ajeti £5m. Will soon go the way of Ntcham.
Hendry sold for £1.7m. 10% to Dundee. Sold to Bruges 8 weeks later for £8m.
aye geniuses.
Let them enjoy their moment. Fake title. We get a laugh at them in the UCL.
Gio will pump fatty next season - if fatty is still here

So we won the first game lost two and drew 1 so unless I,m mistaken we took 4 points from them .unless you are only counting gios games.but unfortunately we play them 4 times a season.if you look at the entire season including cups we played hem 5 times won 2 lost 2 drew 1.
So taking the entire season including Cup games we have won the same as them and drawn the same as them.
By the way if you are just counting gios game then I would perhaps mention that you should just say its gios games as I was talking about the hole season.
We know that, but if we’re saying they are poor, then at best we’ve still not taken more points head to head. The point of the thread is they aren’t a great side (which I agree with), but they’re unbeaten in 29 games. In the spfl, they play a high intensity ‘rush’ game which is enough to force teams into mistakes. In Europe, the kick and rush style won’t work as teams easily play around the press.

We need to look at ourselves. We need to offer more of a goal threat all over the park, we need to have that mentality where we give as little away as possible, we need to assess the goalkeeper’s position.

They are bang average, it’s actually ridiculous we have handed them the title and Champions League money.

A side with a smattering of poor Japanese players, a defence with Greg Taylor, Starfelt and Tony feckin Ralston, Joe Hart and a couple of decent loan players.

Gio has hopefully woken up to the fact now, last couple of old firm games have shown that he knows how to play them, there can be no repeat next season.
We have no one to blame but ourselves, no one, we shipped too many goals, threw away points needlessly, add that to some questionable decisions and this is where we are, fucking annoyed that we have gifted them the title, just hope the players hurt as much as the support.

Yep. They're absolutely shite.

Their managers tactics work well against diddy teams, that combined with our complacency has lost us it.

In terms of European standards and in one off games yes. On our day we are better. However, they are not average at all when it comes to consistently winning against the dross and that unfortunately is all that is required to win the Scottish title. 88/89 points wins the title most seasons, they will probably get 95 and that is only that low because they had a very poor start to the season when they were rebuilding their squad.

Their form since the early break has been significantly better than average. They have been lucky and benefitted from refereeing mistakes (which hopefully VAR will fix somewhat) but they have continued to pick up points. They were awful for the first few months of the season and we failed to capitalise as much as we should have, we could have demoralised them with a big lead but we had our own issues with Gerrard in the run up to him leaving.

If they continue to pick up as many points against the rest of the teams in the league next season we can afford very few slip ups. Recruitment and replacement for any outgoing first team players needs to be spot on.

They are not bang average, they have a system that works against the rest of the dross in the SPL. It is not a system that will have much success against good teams. Can they really consistently press hard when possession is closer to 50%? When they are in a midfield battle? When teams can get through their press and make them work. No they can not.

It's also worth remembering that they have to pay for Maeda (loan with obligation to buy, £4m), Jota (£7m) and Carter-Vickers (£10m) if they just want to stay still.

Last edited:
I was meaning Gios games but I absolutely accept your description Turnabear, in my opinion both teams have contrasting styles..and there is little between them..they can dominate each other in the same game in spells

We have been nowhere the performance levels of last season

How many matches were we superb for 90mins and the number of games we struggled to get over the line going into the last 10mins of a match

They were more solid and consistent over the piece and didn't f*ck up a lot of matches whilst winning either Can't argue with the league table at the end of the day

Back