The love in for Ryan Jack, McCrorie, Arfield etc

Arfield is only playing for Canada because he can't get near a Scotland side who haven't came close to qualifying for a tournament in about 18 years.

I'm sure he lies awake at night worrying about not getting a game for Scotland

Kamara should be our centre midfielder ( but NOT a holding midfielder except in a select few games). I’d play a flexible 4-4-2. In the middle
Arfield Jack Kamara Kent
Morelos Defoe up front
High press from defence, midfield, and strikers to link each unit by squeezing the space . Encourage plenty of movement and showing for it off the ball( especially midfielders whose movement has been non existent)
McCrorie should be developed as one of our centre backs ( choose two between Goldson, Katic and McCrorie )
Davis will take too long to get match fitness and so far it’s looking like a mistake.
I’d give off form Candieas a rest. I’d persist with Barasic as I think he needs a run to show his best.
If we encourage the midfield to press higher up the park, and make runs beyond the strikers, and also try and play through central areas, under this formations we can avoid the predictable square pass back four interchange, avoid hopeful diagonals and the all too predictable forays up the wing only to hit poor crosses to no one.

Kamara should be our centre midfielder ( but NOT a holding midfielder except in a select few games). I’d play a flexible 4-4-2. At least until the summer when we can get a creative ‘no. 10’.......In the middle
Arfield Jack Kamara Kent
Morelos Defoe up front
High press from defence, midfield, and strikers to link each unit by squeezing the space . Encourage plenty of movement and showing for it off the ball( especially midfielders whose movement has been non existent)
McCrorie should be developed as one of our centre backs ( choose two between Goldson, Katic and McCrorie )
Davis will take too long to get match fitness and so far it’s looking like a mistake.
I’d give off form Candieas a rest. I’d persist with Barasic as I think he needs a run to show his best.
If we encourage the midfield to press higher up the park, and make runs beyond the strikers, and also try and play through central areas, under this formations we can avoid the predictable square pass back four interchange, avoid hopeful diagonals and the all too predictable forays up the wing only to hit poor crosses to no one.

Kamara should be our centre midfielder ( but NOT a holding midfielder except in a select few games). I’d play a flexible 4-4-2. At least until the summer when we can get a creative ‘no. 10’.......In the middle
Arfield Jack Kamara Kent
Morelos Defoe up front

That midfield dominated because Celtic tried to come out and play and that suited the attributes of those players against any other team in the SPL they sit in and we have to break them down and this doesn't suit any of these players. All three are tidy neat players but together as a trio we won't win anything

Individually the 3 mentioned might do a job for us but not as a trio

The chemistry and mix has to be right which it hasnt been yet imo

Signing 1 class player and put him in with say Mcrorie and Arfield and he might get the best out of them or with jack and arfield etc

We havent got the player who can glue the midfeild together untill we do we will struggle imo

I came back in expecting this thread to be pulled or closed. Really surprised me that some are still quoting him.

Some interesting replies within it, but the OP is clearly an obsessed fan from the darkside. They truly are a weird lot.

No d
Consistency is the major problem with the majority of our squad and I’m not sure how you can improve that.

Creativity is also a major issue. The players mentioned are functional and good at breaking up play but there’s not a lot of skill there. Leaving it up to Kent will just see him marked out of the game with no one else with the guile to make things happen.
No doubt the quality is there,it comes down to attitude,if they are not raring to go in front of a full house at Ibrox then serious questions need to be asked of players. They proved it against Celtic,trouble is that's the game they should be playing every game, that's what we as supporters demand, I'd take a defeat on the chin if we've bust a gut and been unlucky. Think maybe one or two of them have put the tools away since then,with the exception of Alfredo.

That midfield literally dominated the last old firm game for 90mins.

Their problem, and that of our entire team this season so far, is consistency and the ability to create against teams that sit back.
We dominated on the 29th no question but would we have dominated if rogic and mcgregor were playing arguably their 2 best central midfielders? I tend to agree with the OP on this one I think we need an upgrade in the middle of the park as I dont see Jack being good enough to be starting in a title winning team.

He can still play at centre half where he has grown up playing.

He was a bit keen to dive in a couple of times against decent, physical players in Dembele and Edouard, and he got rolled. It is a classic mistake for a young player to make which shouldn't leave his career in that position on the scrap heap.
Reasonable observation,I think he would very effective as a right back.

Reasonable observation,I think he would very effective as a right back.

I think he’s a player much more suited to central areas, not sure I can ever see him overlapping to put crosses in the box for instance.

I see McCrorie as a player that is good enough for the first team, but not one good enough to play central midfield against teams who will sit in against us. I’d have him next to Goldson against those teams and against anyone we want a bit more steel in the middle, move him to midfield.

Maybe a bit loose the Canada thing that was lazy but the gist is in my opinion our midfield is just 'alright' and that's it. But I have friends who rave for jack esp and I just don't see it.

Last edited:
I think McRorie is overrated as a midfielder, Arfield has ability but blows hot and cold. Ryan Jack, in my view, is the best defensive midfielder in the country, by some way. Only my opinion, of course.

B

Aye, Kent is no where near near as good as sinclair as an example. All our midfield are just that level below you know?

I’d disagree there mate. Sinclair had one excellent season in a team that were playing out of their skins. Ryan Kent’s young Sinclair is 30ish I’m sure. Think Kent will be 2 or 3 times the player Sinclair was/is

B

Aye, Kent is no where near near as good as sinclair as an example. All our midfield are just that level below you know?

That said I’d kill for a midfielder like that Aussie lady's front bottom they’ve got. Can take it forward, make a defence splitting pass and score goals from everywhere including outside the box. Exactly what we need IMO

Hopefully the football fans on here will be open to a football debate.

I'm not getting the love in for Ryan Jack Mccrorie arfield etc. In my opinion we are accepting mediocrity.
Neither Jack or Mccrorie are anywhere near the Scotland team as international players, and obviously Ca nada doesn't even count.
Our players are no where near theirs and I fear by the end of the season it will be more like 15pts.
Our team is rank I feel but a lot of fans I think are accepting average players.

What's the opinions?
My opinion is you are a clown that knows nothing about football

2qx2i4h.jpg

Very Harsh to say these players are rank, we have been short of a number ten all season , the three mentioned have done very well for us sometimes we maybe require a different set up against teams who sit in especially at Ibrox , I don’t think McCrorie is needed at home to St Johnstone, it’s all about finding the right balance.

All good teams get goals return from the midfield .Ive just watched the Man U v Chelsea match ,watch the runs from the two midfielders for the goals and ask yourself,where would our players be in the same scenario.I will tell you where,in the exact same place they were when the balls were played out wide.Our midfielders contribute next to nothing in forward play

We dominated on the 29th no question but would we have dominated if rogic and mcgregor were playing arguably their 2 best central midfielders? I tend to agree with the OP on this one I think we need an upgrade in the middle of the park as I dont see Jack being good enough to be starting in a title winning team.

McGregor did play. And both started at Parkhead, where we weren't outplayed either.

I take it with the etc in the header OP, that you dislike the entire midfield?

What do you mean by you "don't get the love in" with those players?

This is FF, those players you speak of are more vilified than loved.
You obviously don't peruse the match threads.
Open your eyes.

The love in for our best midfield that delivered our best result in a few years is heavy weird eh.

B

You still on it from the weekend? Kent tore Celtic apart whilst Sinclair - I couldn’t even tell you if he was on the field last OF?

And the 3 midfielders you named dominated celtics big sooper dooper invisibles

The inter-play between the three is almost non-existent. It's painful to watch our midfield struggle each week. It's the area that lets us down time and time again.

Getting the ball down and playing with command and composure doesn't seem to be a thing.

Kamara is refreshing though.

Mcgregor played left back at Ibrox and we definitely were outplayed at parkhead.

That wasn't our decision. Obviously Rodgers thought as little of our midfield as some on here do.

I didn't think we were outplayed, albeit we weren't the better team. Coming off a 9-men performance in Russia, there was a tactical decision to sit back. We came more into it as the game progressed and were unfortunate to concede.

I know where you’re coming from, my frustrations lie with the midfield.

We could field a team of midfielders, but very few are actually good enough.

Jack
McCrorie
Davis
Arfield
Coulibaly
Halliday
Kamara
Polster
(Also have Docherty, Holt & Rossiter out on loan.)

We are sorely lacking real quality in the middle of the park.Our most expensive signing was Kamara ffs. Some serious money needs invested there as it is a seriously problematic area of our team.

This

A squad full of average to ok midfield players.

The problem is the balance in the midfield. None of the midfielders has the ability to score from long range and only Artfield runs beyond the forwards . This makes the midfield very predictable and against teams who sit in easy to defend against

Genuinely think if we got Naismith instead of Lafferty we would be at minimum 3/4 behind if not ahead.

We are missing the winning mentality and winners.

Naismith missed months of football.

Laughable to think that Naismith would be the difference. Last season the same was said about Lafferty.

We sign Lafferty and look what happened - nothing, because he's simply not good enough.

Hopefully the manager does a wee bit of midfield reconstruction in the summer. The status quo is not an option if we want to win the title next season.

Genuinely think if we got Naismith instead of Lafferty we would be at minimum 3/4 behind if not ahead.

We are missing the winning mentality and winners.

Where would Naismith fit in though? He can't play in a midfield 3 and we don't play with a number 10. Lafferty hasn't had a chance all season really so not sure Naismith would have been any different.

I dont think any of the 3 are inconsistent. All of them put in at least a 7/10 pretty much every game. However thats a 7/10 at what they are good at

Problem is none are particularly skillful and unable to create against tight, packed, organised, deep defensive sides.

Aside from Alfredo, McCrorie is probably our most important player.
Good grief, the lad is just about useful enough if we are looking for a defensive/ball winning edge in certain games, however if we continue to select the names in this thread as a collective unit, then Saturday's performance will be repeated ad infinitum.

Good grief, the lad is just about useful enough if we are looking for a defensive/ball winning edge in certain games, however if we continue to select the names in this thread as a collective unit, then Saturday's performance will be repeated ad infinitum.

McCrorie has excelled in that position. I see it as no surprise that St Johnstone could have won the game when Ross wasn't on the park.

Aside from Alfredo, McCrorie is probably our most important player.
o_Oo_Oo_O

You've got to be kidding mate ??!

If anything, Ross McCrorie should be out on loan learning to develop his touch, control, passing, composure, shooting, link up play and general midfield play.

Lunging aimlessly into the odd tackle here and there is not enough when you're at Rangers and we want to win league titles..

Regarding arfield, wasn’t he not always like a hard working wide player down south, I personally think he’s good but not good enough for the role he’s playing, but still the best option we have currently sadly

Hopefully the football fans on here will be open to a football debate.

I'm not getting the love in for Ryan Jack Mccrorie arfield etc. In my opinion we are accepting mediocrity.
Neither Jack or Mccrorie are anywhere near the Scotland team as international players, and obviously Ca nada doesn't even count.
Our players are no where near theirs and I fear by the end of the season it will be more like 15pts.
Our team is rank I feel but a lot of fans I think are accepting average players.

What's the opinions?

My opinion is you need to resit standard grade English.

o_Oo_Oo_O

You've got to be kidding mate ??!

If anything, Ross McCrorie should be out on loan learning to develop his touch, control, passing, composure, shooting, link up play and general midfield play.

Lunging aimlessly into the odd tackle here and there is not enough when you're at Rangers and we want to win league titles..

The difference when McCrorie plays to when he doesn't is night-and-day. In Scotland, you need a player to go and win second balls. McCrorie will do that all day long.

The difference when McCrorie plays to when he doesn't is night-and-day. In Scotland, you need a player to go and win second balls. McCrorie will do that all day long.
He doesn't pass the ball at all well though, and combining that with the shortcomings of the rest is the principal reason we struggle to break teams down.

If we had Arfield, Jack, McCrorie, Kamara and Docherty as well another proper box to box playmaker and an attacking option to compete with Arfield, I think our midfield would look pretty strong next season. Davis maybe a bit early to write him off but Dorrans and Rossiter I think their time could well be up in summer. Matt Polster as well I see more as cover for Tav rather than playing in the middle.

Back