The Mirror claiming Benetiz to Celtic

Is the Arab takeover of NU back on? Then he might be North East bound again. Or maybe he’s just had enough of football for a time and needs a break. Either way. poets are a poisoned chalice and can’t believe he’d ruin his CV on them.

I have never understood why people on here say they couldn’t afford Benitez. They paid Rodgers an absolute fortune. Their wage bill is, what, more than £1m a week. Paying Benitez whatever it would cost - call it £3m a year - seems entirely plausible to me. And that is before you take account if the fact that if, and yes it is an if, a manager is the difference between making one good signing rather than one bad signing then he pays for himself there and then. If he is the difference between signing a good goalkeeper rather than a Barkas then he pays for himself.

If you want to argue that Benitez wouldn’t fancy a job in Scotland then I get that. But I just don’t get the assumption that they couldn’t afford him.

It comes from the fact that they would have posted a 25 million loss this year had they not sold Tierney, they haven't sold anyone, they have spent 15 million at least in the summer on shite so have increased an already unsustainable wage bill and like everyone else they are effected by Covid and will be posting a massive loss this year.

They can't afford a 6 million per year manager FFS.

About as close to Rafa saying it himself

The only thing I will say is that he uses the word "today" then talks about rest.

Celtic don't want him today so the timescale may fit.

But it is clearly a good source rubbishing the move. A better source than the mirrors fake letter anyway.

Paul Joyce is a far better source

Decent Serie A team or team in SPFL? For a guy like Bnitez that's not even a choice and I would think that if it was us being linked with him.

Doesn't matter who they get now. As they wanted Ten that was their dream goal and it's gone not coming back.

It's about us now so enjoy it bears.

I have never understood why people on here say they couldn’t afford Benitez. They paid Rodgers an absolute fortune. Their wage bill is, what, more than £1m a week. Paying Benitez whatever it would cost - call it £3m a year - seems entirely plausible to me. And that is before you take account if the fact that if, and yes it is an if, a manager is the difference between making one good signing rather than one bad signing then he pays for himself there and then. If he is the difference between signing a good goalkeeper rather than a Barkas then he pays for himself.

If you want to argue that Benitez wouldn’t fancy a job in Scotland then I get that. But I just don’t get the assumption that they couldn’t afford him.

It's the £3m a year part that seems unlikely. I reckon he'd cost at least double that given the offers he'll have.

A couple of his former clubs could be looking for a new manager soon. His stock in Europe will always be very high.

If they somehow managed to make it happen, fair play to them. He'd be a huge appointment, and probably push the reputation of the Scottish game even higher again. I just can't imagine he'd be anywhere near affordable.

I’d bet 55 pence on Jimothy Goodwin being appointed after Neic the victim is sacked in the showers.

I don’t think it’s out the question however, I don’t see it happening!

Celtic will be looking for a younger and more modern thinking manager.

If he did become their manager, i can’t say I would panic too much

If Benitez was even considering it (which I'm certain he isn't) he would phone Gerrard before anyone to see what was going on there.

Almost certain he'll end up at a club like Palace or Fulham, or one in Italy.

The only thing I will say is that he uses the word "today" then talks about rest.

But it is clearly a good source rubbishing the move. A better source than the mirrors fake letter anyway.

Celtic will be cutting their cloth now 'the ten' is gone, not spending the wages Benitez would demand on top of 10's of millions he'd want to spend!

Hmmm yeah i noticed that too. I'm happy with the source and he clearly hints the letter is the source

It comes from the fact that they would have posted a 25 million loss this year had they not sold Tierney, they haven't sold anyone, they have spent 15 million at least in the summer on shite so have increased an already unsustainable wage bill and like everyone else they are effected by Covid and will be posting a massive loss this year.

They can't afford a 6 million per year manager FFS.

There needs to be a massive overhaul in the summer at Parkhead.

4 first choice players in the last 12 months of their deal and won't sign a new one
3 first choice loanees away back to their parent club.
Almost certainly no Champions League money coming in (can you see them qualifying from the League Path ?)
£1.2m already off the budget to pay off Lennon.

My guess is that they're going down the DOF/Head coach route and if that's the case there is a not a chance in hell they're getting anyone of Benitez's calibre or standing.

Get your money on someone like Damien Duff getting it.

Can’t see it happening to be honest he could earn double the money as soon as a job in England comes up.

And if it did I can’t see him having the same impact at the tramps that Rodgers did. For the money it could easily blow up in their face.

I can see them trying as a last gasp attempt to sell season tickets to the bus chasers.
He’s always been a selic man don’tcha know.Growing up in Madrid he dreamed of one day playing or managing the famous green and grey.I’ve heard he always went them when playing subbuteo as a little El Niño.
I hope it’s this letter that’s doing the rounds they are in meltdown about.Supposedly from someone in mordor to the fat waiters agent about a move to them.Looks legit until you read it.Oh and the phone number top of the page ends with 1872.
Its another tango hopefully and a few that I know have bought it. B-D They are desperate now.

The problem imo will be the return of fans, if that doesnt happen this year then their income will be fucked.
Lenny is cheap and thats why they wont sack him, liewell will be desperate that he can turn it around.

Its probably an obvious bit of guesswork by a journo must admit though ive always found this idea that every manager in the world is only ever interested in cash or how powerful the league is utterly bizarre.

If he takes the Newcastle job or one in China why not a job in Glasgow ?

Id ignore everything hes done in China anyway good or bad seems like a kinda part time job bit like going to America. A wee break a holiday.

Celtic have to come up with something to challenge over the next few years and he has a rep for being able to turn things around get the very best out of players. Not great to watch but he does get results. Benitez would end all the negative reporting get the cheerleaders looking forward to next season.

Having said that i think the most important thing for Pete at the moment isnt the manager its working his own ticket, suppose a good manager would certainly help him get out of there as soon as teams winning, even just in Scotland, id bet Lawwell is off.

The only possible chance of this is another fully funded by Desmond solution as they certainly couldn’t afford him on an ongoing trading situation.

If you think it looked bad furloughing your under 18s after a 500k+ jolly to Dubai imagine what it looks like bringing in a manager who is going to want at least 5M you’d guess.

As for Benitez, he’s got a great record but it’s been a while - everyone can see what a shitshow they are. I think he could pick up a EPL or a European job where he could get the same money for a lot less hassle. If the China move tells you anything is that money is clear a major motivator for him,

Doesn't matter who they get now. As they wanted Ten that was their dream goal and it's gone not coming back.

They’ve got a woeful management team just now ( who’ll all be on gardening leave in the near future ).

Shíte like Duffy, Brown, Unseasoned etc will be gone.

Being honest, they could get Rafa Nadal in next season and he would enhance their managerial dept.

I pray they go for a Ross / Clark type signing, I just don’t think that they’ll jeopardise risking; say a 25%+ drop in renewals,

Murray made a cuńt of our chances of 10 and then proceeded to spend
on a scale that Scottish football had / has never seen to beat Jo Venglos, we’re still paying for it.

I hope the people that are in the “ their skint /“ camp are right, personally I think they’ll try and pull a rabbit out of the hat. Especially if the rumours re the knew CEO are correct.

Isn't this because someone's photoshopped that letter from them and all the Rhabids have jumped in on it so the bookies have suspended getting lol
^^This ^^
Your spot on mate. I’ve had two WhatsApp me about the waiter.I have said nothing other than he will want a few quid to come here.Then one sent me the letter.I was in stitches reading it.How desperate they are now they actually read that and bit.Wonderful.55 will end them.

There's going to be far bigger clubs in for him anyway. I get the China point for young players etc, but for a 60 year old manager already accomplished in Europe having worked under Mike Ashley for however long, I wouldn't say that diminishes his credibility.

This reeks of an Op Tango 2.0 any how.

I fully get what your saying, but sorry mate, for me, going to China just bombs your reputation. For a few million sheckles, oh aye I would take it but it’s at the detriment of a bigger thing, him getting further success in Europe and cementing his name as one of the better modern managers of his time.
I’m not decrying his status or his previous successes, yes he’s won things, and he’s managed big clubs. But I’m sorry, once you go to China your a dead rubber.

If he was in Europe still and perhaps challenging for titles, then we could say he would be a major threat coming here. Right now I’m not sure he would be, unless he feels he’s got something to prove, and if that’s the case then he would be making a huge mistake coming to Scotland.

Im not sure even with his talents that he would be able to dethrone his former captain, I very much doubt it.

You never know that b*stard hates us. Maybe it will make him dip into his pocket. Just think it's silly and childish everybody making out he's a sh*t manager who wont improve them.
Hes a very good manager whos stocks still high enough to walk into a few epl jobs and command a major wage! I just don't see them getting him could be wrong but my gut sayin theyre skint mate:) time will tell tho :)

Surely a 20 second phone call would sort all this out
“Morning Mr Benitez, any chance of you managing the filth?”
“Absolutely none!”
“Thank you, sorry to have disturbed you”

It's not just his basic wage, he would be looking for big money to spend on new players and his own staff. Reckon Chelsea seems more realistic for him.

Bang on the money here. They could get Benitez, they could get Zidane for all I care, but in years to come they will still be crying about the missed opportunity in 2021. There's absolutely nothing they could do next season that would make up for their dismal failure this year.

It's probably already been said on this thread but on the Si Ferry's Jamie Carragher interview, I remember he strongly dismissed Rafa to them, I think 'no chance' were the exact words.

What they do simply doesn't matter, whether they empty their biscuit tin for a big name or complete their downsizing by appointing Jack Ross. We welcome the chase!

All of this is hypothetical as he’s very unlikely to end up with them.

I’d have been concerned if he’d taken over from Rodgers as he is an excellent manager/coach and at that point they had a very good and already well coached team.

Now however all the “muscle memory” from then has been lost and a lot of their players either nudged towards the end of their career, just want away from the place or have been poorly recruited.

As others have pointed out the budget Rafa would want to do the rebuild is likely beyond the biscuit tin.

I have no idea about the money that have what it will cost etc etc, Celtic do need to come up with something like this so wouldnt rule it out altogether.

I think they know a Lambo, Stubbs, Ross, these type of managers aint going to be enough to challenge our management team or sell tickets, pete also wants the press bhoys back hes only got Hannah and Jackson crawling these days, hes been hurt by the way so many have turned on him.... a quality manager or a big name is defo what they need it would also give PL a way out of the piggery as he cant walk out on them at the moment even though its clear he wants too.

Whoever is going to be the next manager is going to have to oversee a club that will have to publicly apologise VERY soon to the entire world over their harbouring and enabling of paedophiles. Who would want to be a part of that?

If true (which I doubt) then this is a very strange one. The scum need a rebuild and a manager who can come in and build a team with limited sources. They need a min 10 players so your are not going to see anything higher than 5mill on 1 player. So why bring in Rafael Benitez. He comes looking for a bigger club at the earliest. Wanting more money when he fails and could really damage his reputation if he fails at the first hurdle. They need a Gerrard but are they ready to maybe have to wait a few seasons to compete again

More chance of them appointing Yerda Selsavon.

Unless they pay him silly money to pocket, like he went to China for, and play with in the transfer market.

Sacked by Liverpool
Sacked by Milan
Contract not renewed by Chelsea
Sacked by Real Madrid
Sacked by Napoli
Contract not renewed by Newcastle
Team he left in China sitting second bottom of the league
Not won a domestic title since he was at Valencia
Butt's head with just about every owner/CEO he's worked under
Dinosaur of the game

Not denying how good he is a coach and he has had his fair share of great results, also has a good European record but I genuinely think he is one of the most overrated managers out there. I hope they spend a fortune to get him, they won't be able to give him the budget he would expect to work with which would have him at loggerheads with their board. Would be hilarious to watch

I think it’s safe to say they will have made an approach. For me I believe he’ll take it.

Why do you think he will take that particular job when he has already dismissed Bundesliga teams and a national side?

Back