Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've just given a perfect description of Niko Katic.

Yeah, but Katic is 24 and should be able to develop.

(For what little it's worth, I think it was his lack of learning from mistakes that would see him dropped more often than others)

I'm not much of a fan of Balogun either in all honesty - I think he's poor positionally and very prone to getting caught out with a ball over the top - but I completely accept that he's been a good signing for us. Gerrard and the coaching team trust him, so I won't argue with that, this is just my view on him.

Balogun was a hugely important signing for us last summer – he is so much better suited to our system than Katić or Edmundson were the season prior. He’s still yet to lose a league game, you’d think he was a complete diddy going by some of the comments here.

Anyone who thinks that either Katic or Eďmundson are currently close to the same level as Balogun is mental.

Maybe in time they may get to his level, but at the moment neither are close to it.

I think it’s on par. Only difference is Katic is young and Balogun has a burst to get himself out of trouble.
I wouldn’t disagree too much with this, but Balogun is significantly better on the ball too which helps us - I also do think he’s a better defender just now.

Both have been good signings for me, I doubt you’ll disagree with that to be honest.

In light of the perceived progress that Hendry has made, and our reputation over there having pumped a couple of their best clubs this season, maybe Belgium could be a good shout ?

Their football doesn’t lack physicality but it’s also real football & not bus parking.
Yes good shout Grigo. Man U’s link up with Royal Antwerp in the past is a good example. A few in here who’ve done fairly well at a good level:

I think it’s on par. Only difference is Katic is young and Balogun has a burst to get himself out of trouble.

Katic definitely has the potential to improve, although his lack of pace never will.

He has got great aggression and desire, but switches off at set pieces and is way too rash in the tackle.
His distribution is also poor.

If he improves those areas, which I think he will, he can definitely become a far better defender.

I'm going to upset some people here but Katic has so far been over rated. He'd rightly be 4th choice IMO.

Do I think he could settle down develop further and become as good as Goldson...yes but so far he's been OK but not spectacular. There's certainly a mistake in him at the moment.

I'm going to upset some people here but Katic has so far been over rated. He'd rightly be 4th choice IMO.

Do I think he could settle down develop further and become as good as Goldson...yes but so far he's been OK but not spectacular. There's certainly a mistake in him at the moment.
I’m not sure he’s even the gaffers 5th choice to be honest!.

Everyone loves a warrior, sadly some are blinded by that though and can’t see his deficiencies.

Fella on here was trying to argue with me because I was saying he wasn’t great on the ball, to which he replied

“He’s a defender”

Yes good shout Grigo. Man U’s link up with Royal Antwerp in the past is a good example. A few in here who’ve done fairly well at a good level:

Interesting article PMB.

I hadn’t realised just how many United players went over, or that Shawcross started at United.

Again, I'm going have to disagree with a few posters, I think Katic has been a real find, and has done very well for us, and very rarely, if ever, let us down. What I don't quite get is the need to play one player off another; surely it's possible to look at many players as a whole and think we have strength in terms of quality. Katic may over commit at times, but we have done well with him.

Again, I'm going have to disagree with a few posters, I think Katic has been a real find, and has done very well for us, and very rarely, if ever, let us down. What I don't quite get is the need to play one player off another; surely it's possible to look at many players as a whole and think we have strength in terms of quality. Katic may over commit at times, but we have done well with him.
Of course.

Niko has contributed to our come back with some big performances like UFA and Legia which have provided massive amounts of money, sadly he’s just not at the level to be a starter for us yet.

I don’t think you’ll find a Rangers fan who doesn’t like him, he’s only turning 25 so has plenty of time to develop.

There’s a reason he was 4th choice at the end of last season though, and we’ve since signed two defenders.

Of course.

Niko has contributed to our come back with some big performances like UFA and Legia which have provided massive amounts of money, sadly he’s just not at the level to a starter for us yet.

I don’t think you’ll find a Rangers fan who doesn’t like him, he’s only turning 25 so has plenty of time to develop.
He definitely has room for improvement. A lot of our fans seem to have a blindspot for him because he thunders into tackles and puts his head in anywhere.

Of course.

Niko has contributed to our come back with some big performances like UFA and Legia which have provided massive amounts of money, sadly he’s just not at the level to a starter for us yet.

There’s a reason he was 4th choice at the end of last season though, and we’ve since signed two defenders.
I'm not keen on terms like 4th choice; there will be players the manager will pick, I get that, but Katic has been more than an afterthought to Gerrard at times. Losing Katic last season presented us with a problem at the time, and that was for a reason.

I'm not keen on terms like 4th choice; there will be players the manager will pick, I get that, but Katic has been more than an afterthought to Gerrard at times. Losing Katic last season presented us with a problem at the time, and that was for a reason.
I actually agree to an extent, but it’s still clear who the better defenders are.

For example, Balogun/Helander are better suited to better games but I think most of us would agree Helander and Goldson are the first choice.

I don’t think we’ve missed Niko this season, really not sure how anyone could say that to be honest.

But Edmundson was playing the games at the end of 19/20 with Niko on the bench after the St a Johnstone horror show.

Like I said, he’s been hugely important for us along our journey and there may well be more to come from him, hopefully there is.

Of course.

He’s coming up to 25 in October. He’s missed almost a year with a serious injury too EB.

To compare Katic, who also incidentally came from a mid table Croatian team to two players coming from top English & Italian clubs is unfair. Apples & pears. Goldson & Helander are more or less both 4 years older than him too.

So really, we need to simply focus on Niko’s weak areas & improve them, that’s the reality we are dealing with. Improve his positional play, point out where his rashness has cost us, work continuously on his passing.

One thing Katic does have is incredible strength of character & a winning mentality, and that’s something that not all players have.

He’s coming up to 25 in October. He’s missed almost a year with a serious injury too EB.

To compare Katic, who also incidentally came from a mid table Croatian team to two players coming from top English & Italian clubs is unfair. Apples & pears. Goldson & Helander are more or less both 4 years older than him too.

So really, we need to simply focus on Niko’s weak areas & improve them, that’s the reality we are dealing with. Improve his positional play, point out where his rashness has cost us, work continuously on his passing.

One thing Katic does have is incredible strength of character & a winning mentality, and that’s something that not all players have.
Of course Grigo, but you have to compare in a sense that one player is clearly better than the other at this particular point in the time.

Everyone is capable of having an adult discussion on the matter, Niko has a lot of attributes but also a few areas he has to improve.

As you alluded to he has tremendous mental strength and desire, you’d imagine this will aid his rehab and ambition to develop!.

I actually agree to an extent, but it’s still clear who the better defenders are.

For example, Balogun/Helander are better suited to better games but I think most of us would agree Helander and Goldson are the first choice.

I don’t think we’ve missed Niko this season, really not sure how anyone could say that to be honest.

But Edmundson was playing the games at the end of 19/20 with Niko on the bench after the St a Johnstone horror show.

Like I said, he’s been hugely important for us along our journey and there may well be more to come from him, hopefully there is.
We did well offset Katic's injury. You make some good points, and I agree that Goldson/Helander is the best pairing. What has been good is that we have done well with CBs mainly.

Of course Grigo, but you have to compare in a sense that one player is clearly better than the other at this particular point in the time.

Everyone is capable of having an adult discussion on the matter, Niko has a lot of attributes but also a few areas he has to improve.

As you alluded to he has tremendous mental strength and desire, you’d imagine this will aid his rehab and ambition to develop!.

Agree, and of course your first paragraph is correct. That’s why the manager picked the players he picked each week, and they brought us success.

We did well offset Katic's injury. You make some good points, and I agree that Goldson/Helander is the best pairing. What has been good is that we have done well with CBs mainly.
Yes mate, I actually liked Simpson when he was younger too and can see why Gerrard likes him because how comfortable he is on the ball.

Hoping he can improve under our coaching staff, no risk signing considering we got him for a sell on fee only.

Doig has never stood out in the Hibs games I’ve seen I don’t quite get it.

would be worth a punt at 1m but the 4 quoted is madness
There was only 1 young Scottish full back that stood out looking destined for the VERY top, in the last Rangers v Hibs game and he belonged to us.
If Borna was to go for a big fee and we could get in another experienced international LB and Doig as a backup for half the money it may be considered good business. He is a talent but we have the outstanding young talent in the league

Yes mate, I actually liked Simpson when he was younger too and can see why Gerrard likes him because how comfortable he is on the ball.

Hoping he can improve under our coaching staff, no risk signing considering we got him for a sell on fee only.
It's interesting to see this aspect of what constitutes a Gerrard type player, a key attribute being good on the ball, regardless of position; that more than anything is making us a very good team.

Yeah, but Katic is 24 and should be able to develop.

(For what little it's worth, I think it was his lack of learning from mistakes that would see him dropped more often than others)

I'm not much of a fan of Balogun either in all honesty - I think he's poor positionally and very prone to getting caught out with a ball over the top - but I completely accept that he's been a good signing for us. Gerrard and the coaching team trust him, so I won't argue with that, this is just my view on him.
Crazy you say that about Balogun and positioning because his pace is a great attribute that covers that anyway, he's maybe been our best signing in needing zero bedding in period. Cruised most games and stood up to every physical test thrown at him. Something Goldson, Helander, Simpson and Katic took time to get up to speed with.
There's a reason why Gerrard gave him an extension and a reason why he effectively rotated Balogun with Helander depending on the opposition and type of threat.
Is he a CL standard partner for Goldson? Probably not, but can we afford a CL calibre defender to partner Goldson? Probably not. More than happy with all our 3 top pick CBs

There was only 1 young Scottish full back that stood out looking destined for the VERY top, in the last Rangers v Hibs game and he belonged to us.
If Borna was to go for a big fee and we could get in another experienced international LB and Doig as a backup for half the money it may be considered good business. He is a talent but we have the outstanding young talent in the league

Our guy will break Tierney’s 25m record, I have no doubt on that.

Katic definitely has the potential to improve, although his lack of pace never will.

He has got great aggression and desire, but switches off at set pieces and is way too rash in the tackle.
His distribution is also poor.

If he improves those areas, which I think he will, he can definitely become a far better defender.
I actually don't think Katic lacks pace all that much, he isn't exactly lightning quick like Balogun or to a lesser extent Edmundson is, but he I wouldn't class him as slow. For me he needs to work on mistiming headers and diving in way too early, having a good distribution is obviously very helpful but it isn't as if Helander is spraying 50 yard passes every game either, as long as he can retain possession it's not an issue really.

I actually don't think Katic lacks pace all that much, he isn't exactly lightning quick like Balogun or to a lesser extent Edmundson is, but he I wouldn't class him as slow. For me he needs to work on mistiming headers and diving in way too early, having a good distribution is obviously very helpful but it isn't as if Helander is spraying 50 yard passes every game either, as long as he can retain possession it's not an issue really.
Be interesting to see a friendly game with say him and Simpson together. 2 young CBs for the future, and I just wonder if playing as a right sided CB will help with his positioning and distribution. Arguably 2 of his most raw areas to work on.

Certainly Won't take as long for the big teams to come sniffing if we make the CL over the next couple of years, £25m could finance our transfer dealings for a good few windows

I do hope he stays & plays for the club he loves for a good few years Ark, but for me he has more potential than Tierney & he’s been very well received in England.

Katic is great in games where we play tight and compact and he can head anything that moves

Not so good when we dominate possession.

We certainly would have conceded more than 13 league goals if he played all season rather than Balogun and Helander.
Was thinking the same, away games in Europe and at Parkhead he's been immense at times. We sit a tiny bit deeper and he can go and attack the ball and be like a rash marking the CF Cuellar style. Home games, his concentration, positioning and definitely distribution can be noticeable

If he never had a burst of pace he would be a league 1 player. His positional sense is an abortion
But he does have pace, so therefore has never played League 1. You could focus on the attributes players do possess, like pace! And appreciate why they have played games in the Bundesliga, EPL and Championship. Helander has ZERO pace but has played in Serie A and is now a league title winner going in as 1 of Sweden's first choice defenders in a major Championship. It's horses for courses and we have 2 lovely options for Goldson. You can't tell me Helander looks like he is £3.5m better than Balogun

But he does have pace, so therefore has never played League 1. You could focus on the attributes players do possess, like pace! And appreciate why they have played games in the Bundesliga, EPL and Championship. Helander has ZERO pace but has played in Serie A and is now a league title winner going in as 1 of Sweden's first choice defenders in a major Championship. It's horses for courses and we have 2 lovely options for Goldson. You can't tell me Helander looks like he is £3.5m better than Balogun
He's in his 30s and could lose that yard he has very suddenly. Helander looks way more than 3.5 million better than Balogun for me.

Katic seems to be one of these players that gets better the longer hes missing

dont rate him at all tbh and think we could and should do alot better,
That's what a goal against the scum does. I do think had he not get injured whether he would still be here or not as he was down the pecking order before we stopped playing. Was really poor at St Johnstone cost us 2 goals that day then Killie he went for a header he was never going to win (he had done same at Tynecastle earlier on in the season) and we got beat. That's why I think a loan move is best for him go out and continue his development then see where we are after that but moving forward I'm not sure about his future.

His mentality is one thing you cannot coach Grigo.
The way he's worked on his injury rehab shows the remarkable mental strength he possesses.

I've already said he's currently got weaknesses in his game, but he also possesses a lot of good qualities.
It's definitely not beyond him to develop into a top central defender.

I don't think he's currently as good as our 3 experienced central defenders, but he could be, in time.

In light of the perceived progress that Hendry has made, and our reputation over there having pumped a couple of their best clubs this season, maybe Belgium could be a good shout ?

Their football doesn’t lack physicality but it’s also real football & not bus parking.
Maybe not for us but the huge lad at Standard Liege Bokadi stood out as someone that could be a rough diamond, played CB and midfield. As you say could put his foot in and wasn't scared of physicality, similar to the Dutch you fully expect a Belgian based player to have good technique as a given also

Last edited:

I was judging his lack of pace on the time Dykes broke clear from him at Ibrox and even though Dykes was running with the ball, he was pulling further and further away from Niko.

Tbf though, Dykes is pretty rapid, so it's maybe not a fair judgement.

I think he looks far more than £3.5m better than Balogun, personally.

He's in his 30s and could lose that yard he has very suddenly. Helander looks way more than 3.5 million better than Balogun for me.
Could you imagine how fast he was at 27 and say at a Bologna type side like Helander, be paying similar if not more money for him.
33 on a free, outstanding business!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back