Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the days I was never out this thread, thankfully after this season I am much more relaxed about new signings coming in.

I am hoping we upgrade the midfield more than anything else.

LAUR AND ORDER

Rangers and Brighton interested in Josh Laurent transfer with 26-year-old midfielder impressing at Reading this season​

EXCLUSIVE
BRIGHTON and Rangers have registered an interest in Reading star Josh Laurent over a potential transfer this summer.
Scottish champions Rangers believe the 26-year-old midfielder could be the ideal signing to strengthen the spine of their team as they look to prepare for Champions League football next season.
Rangers and Brighton are keen on Reading star Josh Laurent

Looks an absaloot yoonit.

LAUR AND ORDER

Rangers and Brighton interested in Josh Laurent transfer with 26-year-old midfielder impressing at Reading this season​

EXCLUSIVE
BRIGHTON and Rangers have registered an interest in Reading star Josh Laurent over a potential transfer this summer.
Scottish champions Rangers believe the 26-year-old midfielder could be the ideal signing to strengthen the spine of their team as they look to prepare for Champions League football next season.
Rangers and Brighton are keen on Reading star Josh Laurent

Looks an absaloot yoonit.
I seen the fee is apparently £8 million. There is no chance we are paying £8 million for a 26 year old, who's spent almost his entire career in league 1/2 and just played his first season in the championship.

At £3/4 million I could perhaps see it.

I seen the fee is apparently £8 million. There is no chance we are paying £8 million for a 26 year old, who's spent almost his entire career in league 1/2 and just played his first season in the championship.

I'm working at their new training ground, start of June. I'll see if I can get some insider info whilst there, lol.

He's a really good player, we spent similar on Kent so if they think he's worth it then I don't see why not. As for playing league one/two most his career you could say the same about Toney and Vardy so its not exactly the best barometer of judging someones skill.

He's a really good player, we spent similar on Kent so if they think he's worth it then I don't see why not. As for playing league one/two most his career you could say the same about Toney and Vardy so its not exactly the best barometer of judging someones skill.
I was more meaning in terms of his age he is 26, Kent was 22 when we signed him permanently. It's also a massive amount of money for some who hasn't really experienced a high level in his career.

Every signing we make (except for age 30+ free transfers) need to have sell on value in them.

Signing a guy who will be 27 after a season for £8 million, agent fees, signing on fee and good wages will make it very hard to get a profit on.

After 2 seasons it would work out at £10-11+ million spent on fees and wages. He'd be 28 by then and at that age it is a struggle to get big fees.

As I said I'd be all for it at half the price, as he seems to have a DPM playstyle (like Davis) but £8 million seems excessive and like the typical massive over value of players at that level.

I was more meaning in terms of his age he is 26, Kent was 22 when we signed him permanently. It's also a massive amount of money for some who hasn't really experienced a high level in his career.

Every signing we make (except for age 30+ free transfers) need to have sell on value in them.

Signing a guy who will be 27 after a season for £8 million, agent fees, signing on fee and good wages will make it very hard to get a profit on.

After 2 seasons it would work out at £10-11+ million spent on fees and wages. He'd be 28 by then and at that age it is a struggle to get big fees.

As I said I'd be all for it at half the price, as he seems to have a DPM playstyle (like Davis) but £8 million seems excessive and like the typical massive over value of players at that level.
26 is still pretty young mate, if he arrived and was consistently good I dont see why someone wouldnt at least by him back for what we bought him for. Goldson and Tav still have suitors sniffing around them at 28+ so I dont think its much of a deterrant if he shows enough quality. It seems anyway that someone says he has 1 year left on his current deal so may be less than that £8mill

26 is still pretty young mate, if he arrived and was consistently good I dont see why someone wouldnt at least by him back for what we bought him for. Goldson and Tav still have suitors sniffing around them at 28+ so I dont think its much of a deterrant if he shows enough quality. It seems anyway that someone says he has 1 year left on his current deal so may be less than that £8mill
It isn't old but it is a deterrent to getting large fees for a player. Like I said the outlay would be massive and would be hard to make a profit on the player. While we wouldn't sell Tav or Goldson for the fees quoted, no fee was even close to £10 million.

We'd need to sell for around £11-12 to make a tiny profit if we spent £8 million and gave him a 20k wage. It would be hard to get that at 28 from a league like the SPL.

If the contract situation is true then hopefully it substantially lowers his fee.

In saying that Preston (as an example) still wanted 10 million for Ben Davies with 12 months to go and wanted substantial fees for Pearson and Johnson aswell.

Blackburn are wanting a massive fee for Armstrong with 12 months left.

It isn't old but it is a deterrent to getting large fees for a player. Like I said the outlay would be massive and would be hard to make a profit on the player. While we wouldn't sell Tav or Goldson for the fees quoted, no fee was even close to £10 million.

We'd need to sell for around £11-12 to make a tiny profit if we spent £8 million and gave him a 20k wage. It would be hard to get that at 28 from a league like the SPL.

If the contract situation is true then hopefully it substantially lowers his fee.

In saying that Preston (as an example) still wanted 10 million for Ben Davies with 12 months to go and wanted substantial fees for Pearson and Johnson aswell.

Blackburn are wanting a massive fee for Armstrong with 12 months left.
If he’s good enough and gets us into the champions league then surely it is a fee worth paying? I get that it may as a fee reducer in a way but if he performs on that stage then I doubt it will put off many clubs. If he performs as well as many have under one season under Gerrard we could potentially double our money, I doubt many will be put off by a 27 year old who has, what, 6/7/8 years still left to play?
We’ve also brought in Barasic and Zungu in at similar ages so it doesn’t seem a massive deterrant for us.

I cant imagine the fees for any 3 of those Preston players was near £10 million with 12 months remaining on their contacts despite what you say as two of those three never looked like signing a new contract, it was probably more a case of nobody bidding an acceptable amount due to the pandemic and the financial worries that brings especially in a Preston side not overrun with money I think if it was anywhere near that figure they’d have taken it. As for Armstrong he has been one of the leagues best players for a couple of seasons so there is bound to be interest from many clubs hence the high asking price

I hope it's more than a baseless rumour that we want to sign Ferguson; I really rate him. Only saw the game at the weekend yesterday, but under Glass they were a better side, and he was their best player.

Would anyone take Ryan Gauld ? 25 years old out of contract and had a good season in Portugal. I think Gerrard and his coaching team could do really well with him.

When is it the squad report back for Pre-Season? I noticed Gerrard talking about Sakala, Wright and Simpson last week in the presser but blanked Ofoborh, what age is the lad is he coming in to the first team? He's probably just forgot.

Anyway back to when do we report back? In an ideal world we get the out's out and the in's in prior to the CL Qualifiers. Always notoriously tricky no matter what team we draw and we want a settled team as possible.

I noticed Gerrard talking about Sakala, Wright and Simpson last week in the presser but blanked Ofoborh, what age is the lad is he coming in to the first team? He's probably just forgot.
I would think he’d go back out on loan. He’s 21 and struggled on loan at Wycombe.

Right looking ahead.

Sun have Aberdeen turning down £2m for Ferguson from Watford (really?) with Rangers waiting in the wings.

I don't think so.
We need to rebuild our midfield and Ferguson has proved robust enough for our league - and would improve 10 fold under our management.

140 appearances at 21, home-grown, a Bear and very affordable.

Could be a wise move.

We need to rebuild our midfield and Ferguson has proved robust enough for our league - and would improve 10 fold under our management.

Could be a wise move.
I’ve not seen much of Ferguson other than when we play them but is he technically good enough to play in a Gerrard midfield?

Seems similar to Docherty from what I’ve seen

Could be a wise move.
We need better than what we have. Ferguson isn't better than any of our midfield players.

I’ve not seen much of Ferguson other than when we play them but is he technically good enough to play in a Gerrard midfield?

Seems similar to Docherty from what I’ve seen
He lacks natural technical ability but I wonder if that could be added to his game by proper coaching.

At £2.5m plus small wages, it might be a good investment.

I hope it's more than a baseless rumour that we want to sign Ferguson; I really rate him. Only saw the game at the weekend yesterday, but under Glass they were a better side, and he was their best player.
Lot of people on here seem to have their knife in the boy which I find a little strange given his family background. His Dad and Uncle were both fantastic players for Rangers - especially Uncle Barry.

He's young, he knows what we're all about, and will only get better. I think he's one we should be keeping an eye on.

Hedges has stood out for me every time we have played them.
Me too. Not sure I'd be wanting to fork out a significant transfer fee for him, but I wouldn't be against signing him on a free next summer.

I've also got faith in our coaching team to be able to turn good players into very good players.

Me too. Not sure I'd be wanting to fork out a significant transfer fee for him, but I wouldn't be against signing him on a free next summer.

I've also got faith in our coaching team to be able to turn good players into very good players.
I've no doubt he could do a good job for us in the league. I think that the management team will be aiming higher though as we attempt to make it into the CL.

Lot of people on here seem to have their knife in the boy which I find a little strange given his family background. His Dad and Uncle were both fantastic players for Rangers - especially Uncle Barry.

He's young, he knows what we're all about, and will only get better. I think he's one we should be keeping an eye on.
And that's one of the reasons people only want to sign him for because of his family connection to the club. He's done nothing but chase his own shadow in games against us he's nowhere near good enough. He's not better than any of the option we currently have so we aren't spending £2.5-£3m on a boy that would be sitting in the stand/house every week.

Would anyone take Ryan Gauld ? 25 years old out of contract and had a good season in Portugal. I think Gerrard and his coaching team could do really well with him.
Absolutely. He has had a cracking season in Portugal and if we could get him in for free that would be a good piece of business. Maybe there would be some question marks in how he would cope in a more physical league but the way he plays would give a slightly different skillset to what we have - think Hagi but with more dribbling ability and pace.

Last edited:
Ferguson would be a robust young player with plenty of development in him. He has huge experience for his age and is almost always fit. He would be a good option for when the like of Jack or Arfield are missing or Davis needs a rest. If he was one of a couple of midfield signings I wouldn't be disappointed

I think Ferguson would be a decent option for us but he wouldn’t be anywhere near a priority, need two proper quality midfielders and then possibly a more robust type like Ferguson

Ferguson would be a robust young player with plenty of development in him. He has huge experience for his age and is almost always fit. He would be a good option for when the like of Jack or Arfield are missing or Davis needs a rest. If he was one of a couple of midfield signings I wouldn't be disappointed

This is my view on it, Ferguson is a decent player is a sh*te team and is he worth a shout to see what level he can achieve.

He played well in the second half of the game (miss aside).

If the club feel he is worth a purchase, i would be happy with that

Seems to be a lot of folk on suggesting Ferguson for me he just does not have the technical ability we require so for that reason I would not want to sign him. Also Aberdeen would look for a sizable fee from us and I would not want to pay them any significant monies.

Yeah Ferguson may be able to step up to the level required but the fee that Aberdeen would want means it's a no from me.

I think we need two midfielders in this window. One who can play like Arfield i.e. attacking mid who bursts forward (Gauld) and another who plays a little deeper to push Davis and Jack for the 1st 11 (Veerman).

For all other positions we are OK (today and with development potential for next season) unless someone leaves. People talk about a successor for McGregor but tbh McLaughlin is very clearly the 2nd best goalie in the league.

If he’s good enough and gets us into the champions league then surely it is a fee worth paying? I get that it may as a fee reducer in a way but if he performs on that stage then I doubt it will put off many clubs. If he performs as well as many have under one season under Gerrard we could potentially double our money, I doubt many will be put off by a 27 year old who has, what, 6/7/8 years still left to play?
We’ve also brought in Barasic and Zungu in at similar ages so it doesn’t seem a massive deterrant for us.

I cant imagine the fees for any 3 of those Preston players was near £10 million with 12 months remaining on their contacts despite what you say as two of those three never looked like signing a new contract, it was probably more a case of nobody bidding an acceptable amount due to the pandemic and the financial worries that brings especially in a Preston side not overrun with money I think if it was anywhere near that figure they’d have taken it. As for Armstrong he has been one of the leagues best players for a couple of seasons so there is bound to be interest from many clubs hence the high asking price
I suspect our transfer business will be in two phases. Pre and hopefully post CL qualification. I am sure our management team have the pre transfers close to completion.

Do we need any more Scottish players who are not just euro squad fillers? Doig, Ferguson, Gauld etc are good choices instead of putting a youngster on the bench with no prospect of being called upon.

Ferguson is one of the better young Scottish players around just now. We will always have interest in that profile of player.

Whether we feel we can develop him enough or he is already at his ceiling, that's a different matter.

I rate him better than most on here, and I also rate his performance at the weekend. He's a midfielder, but on two occasions he found good positions in the box; one he should have scored, it was a sitter, but to get in those positions was significant. He isn't lacking in talent, he has great personality, he has a good amount of pace, and he works extremely hard; if we rate him then we'll find out soon enough. As regards what many on this forum say about him; which player in this present squad, or even in a regular eleven, hasn't been written off by a majority on here at a particular time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back