The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last minute rarely work, who we sign in July will be our targets.
Anything after will be dependent on champions league qualification.
If we do not get that then i would worry what kind of a team we will be left with next season.

You can’t say that after how we have performed in Europe past few seasons .

Europe in early August is completely different to Europe in the business end of the season. We aren’t going to get Dortmund/Leipzig performances.

The only good thing is other teams will be in the same boat - although PSV and Monaco are littered with quality so I hope we avoid both.

Have you seen the unseeded teams we could play? Example

Monaco spending £15m on guys from Liverpool.

PSV signing guys from Sevilla and PSG.

Make no mistake, we are nowhere near being able to navigate the qualifiers if we get a bad draw or two.
We knocked Dortmund and Leipzig out the Europa League recently, this squad as it stands would have a good chance against Monaco or PSV.

They have fluffed in time and time again domestically, bizarre you would argue that. Its a fact.

Quite aware they have won 1 league & 1 cup, its kind of the issue. Its not enough.
This summer line seems to be “the squad that got to EL final” which is also the squad that’s won 2 out of 12 trophies available and lost the league to worst start for mentally challengeds in decades.

Why people are happy to stand still is beyond me.

They pay for info .

You can’t say that after how we have performed in Europe past few seasons .

Asking the same players to go again for a fifth season at the highest level can't be allowed to happen.

These guys have done their part. So has Gerrard and then Gio. We are going to hit a wall at some point unless we get new blood in. They need help.

Pointed this out before but look at Goldson. Another mammoth season from him and he'll almost be at 300 games for us. In five years. It's both admirable and borderline mental.

It’s coming; Kent, Morelos, Aribo, Jack, Helander, Sands, Arfield, Davis, McGregor, McCrorie, Katić.
Plan is for Lowry, McCann, King, McCrorie to take over from the experienced players. And looking to McKinnon, Devine, Budinaukas/Hogarth, McAusland to step up next season. Then add in players we are buying for the B team recently. It's an area we're looking really strong in and deserves praise. It'll also hopefully take away a lot of strain of having to buy in a few players every window at the cost of millions.

Asking the same players to go again for a fifth season at the highest level can't be allowed to happen.

These guys have done their part. So has Gerrard and then Gio. We are going to hit a wall at some point unless we get new blood in. They need help.

Pointed this out before but look at Goldson. Another mammoth season from him and he'll almost be at 300 games for us. In five years. It's both admirable and borderline mental.
I think we need 3 new players, first team quality.

Europe in early August is completely different to Europe in the business end of the season. We aren’t going to get Dortmund/Leipzig performances.

The only good thing is other teams will be in the same boat - although PSV and Monaco are littered with quality so I hope we avoid both.
As you have stated , same for everyone , PSV and Monaco would be 50/50 ties , each team favourites at home for me , I agree we don’t want to face that quality at this stage , but I wouldn’t write us off .

I wonder how many on the list of 1000s are realistic targets.

I'd love to know.

Its a bit like last season when we should have strengthened to retain the league yet got to a euro final won the cup and blew the title and riches it guaranteed.

Money is tight and why we aren't splashing but perhaps if we had strengthened more last season we'd have won the league and have had a bigger budget this season to strengthen again?

Our squad isn't at all bad a few fresh faces could make a huge difference.
We did strengthen Sakala 12 goals 7 assists
Lundstrum the best on earth
That’s two players in their first season that improved us
They took time to settle though
Any signings we make this year could be exactly the same take 6 months to a year to get used to Scottish football and the demands of playing for Rangers
There are loads through our history recently Barisic

But that’s exactly what’s going to happen, these guys are going to be going another 50/60 game season together for a 5th season.

A manager being asked again to over-perform ridiculously both domestically and in Europe, for the 5th season.

The board can’t keep asking for miracles. They ultimately can’t bring to the table what we need and want.

We are obviously going to sign players.

However I do think the writing off of the current squad as having ran their course is really overstated. They looked the exact opposite once they bought into what Gio and co were doing, we looked fitter and stronger than every side we faced.

A couple of new additions are required, of course, but we have a very good squad to add to imo.

We were a kick of the ball away from the entire narrative around them being completely different.

Last edited:
Last minute rarely work, who we sign in July will be our targets.
Anything after will be dependent on champions league qualification.
If we do not get that then i would worry what kind of a team we will be left with next season.
Mate I dread to think what we'd be going for if we never had Europa run.

We did strengthen Sakala 12 goals 7 assists
Lundstrum the best on earth
That’s two players in their first season that improved us
They took time to settle though
Any signings we make this year could be exactly the same take 6 months to a year to get used to Scottish football and the demands of playing for Rangers
There are loads through our history recently Barisic
Not disagreeing. Lundstram is good. Sakala is a bit hit and miss

If we'd strengthened more would we have blown the league?

Hard to say

There is 8 players in the squad who have been at club for the entirety of the last 4 seasons. So this pish about "the squad", winning 2 from 12 needs to be stopped.
The main 1st picks have been here for the majority the 4 years since Gerrard came in or longer. The team needs refreshed badly. But it won't happen as we've kicked can down the road to next summer.

We’ve been extremely fortunate that our 2 Mr Reliables in Goldson and Tav have both avoided any kind of suspension or long term lay offs in the last 4 seasons.

This team can win the league as is, but it shouldn’t be asked to, they need help.
It must be tough looking across the city and seeing your opponents add players for both Van Bronckhorst and the support.

I’m not reaching for the panic button around the lack of movement in the transfer market but I can understand why some are getting twitchy.

We went into the CL qualifiers nowhere near ready last year so people are fearing the same again.
I'd say at this point our starting 11 for the CL qualifiers is going to be made up of players we have in the squad right now regardless who we sign in the coming weeks

We are obviously going to sign players.

However I don't think the writing off of the current squad as having ran their course is really overstated. They looked the exact opposite once they bought into what Gio and co were doing, we looked fitter and stronger than every side we faced.

A couple of new additions are required, of course, but we have a very good squad to add to imo.

We're going to sign players. Don't doubt it for a second.

But are we going to face the same issues as we did early doors last season. Are certain players heads turned ? Do they want to be here ? Can we rely on guys who want to be elsewhere for crucial CL qualifiers ?

As of now, we are weaker than we were at the end of May.

2 at a minimum, 3 ideally.

Right sided forward and a box to box midfielder who are both goal threats are non negotiable for me.

Can't see us signing a box to box midfielder unless some players are moved on.

Lundstram, Davis, Jack, Sands, Kamara and Arfield all featured in the two at somepoint.

Not disagreeing. Lundstram is good. Sakala is a bit hit and miss

If we'd strengthened more would we have blown the league?

Hard to say
I’m sakala’s biggest critic probably. I just don’t think he’s a footballer!
But looking at it, last season he played in 50 games, starting only 18 and ended it with 12 goals and 7 assists. Fair play to him tbh.

Next summer is going to be interesting if the likes of Aribo, Morelos and Kent don’t sign new deals.

We risk losing £30m+ worth of talent for nothing. On top of a number of players out of contract.

How do we finance a rebuild - because that’s exactly what could be required in 12 months time.
Forward planning not spending fortunes this season and projecting what will be needed next season
Banking money from what we are guaranteed from europa league group stages .
Then if we sell anyone we will be in a better position to strengthen further

I just want to throw in that there could be positives from Sands and Sakala in their sophomore year, particularly Sands. Hell even Zukowski should get more of a showing. More settled in and there hasn't been a huge shake up in players in/out so it's a stable squad.

I'd be over the moon with two signings being a RW/RM and a ST of starting 11 quality.

Of course we need new blood in , we are on verge of signing a new striker , have Souttar in addition at the back , have Lowry , McCann to contribute to Midfield work load , Goldson and Tav have the benefit of international breaks ( seems every month now , lol ) I am quite positive going forward , it all hinges on Kent , Aribo , Morelos and their next moves , Chess game .

This is exactly my concern. If these 3 go for nothing next year then the trading model is completely broken

Can you break something that doesn't really exist?

We've had one big sale, it's less of a 'model' more of a freak occurrence, given that we are seemingly happy to let our assets run down contracts and walk out the door for nothing. Obviously Goldson ended up signing in the end but I'm still surprised by that and don't expect it to be a recurring theme.

I’m sakala’s biggest critic probably. I just don’t think he’s a footballer!
But looking at it, last season he played in 50 games, starting only 18 and ended it with 12 goals and 7 assists. Fair play to him tbh.
I don't think our manager fully trusts Sakala and most fans think he's limited.

Hes likable, tries hard and chips in with goals but he isn't a regular starter and if we want to improve its genuine starters we need.

This is a bit lengthy, but it's my thoughts on the matter.
I think most people's frustrations boil down to what happened last season, selling young Patterson for a decent fee, merchandise targets met, money from our management team leaving, plus the money generated from our run to the Europa league final...all of this had us all expecting Gio being given a significant transfer kitty to strengthen the squad...unfortunately, it just doesn't seem the case.
I'm not saying we're skint, we will probably add a couple of new faces if the opportunity and the money involved is right.
However, it does seem significant funds will only be made available if someone like Bassey is moved on, or the current squad manage to manoeuvre our way through these Champions league qualifiers.
I think many people need to remember the club did take a massive hit during that lockdown season, last year we probably just recuperated from that hit.

As much as I like big Bassey, I think he needs to be moved on in order to properly rejuvenate the playing squad to the extent we all desire. But here lies the problem, we don't have the greatest record of moving on players.

The one thing we can take comfort in is the playing squad we currently have is a tried and tested European outfit capable of securing ourselves a champions League group stage place and the funds all that entails, with a bit of luck in the draw obviously. The squad also is very capable of winning the league, a mass exodus isn't required. I think many on here need to stop pishing their knickers and remember that.

But that’s exactly what’s going to happen, these guys are going to be going another 50/60 game season together for a 5th season.

A manager being asked again to over-perform ridiculously both domestically and in Europe, for the 5th season.

The board can’t keep asking for miracles. They ultimately can’t bring to the table what we need and want.
"But that’s exactly what’s going to happen"

On what evidence are you basing this? We will add to the squad, that much is obvious surely?

The main 1st picks have been here for the majority the 4 years since Gerrard came in or longer.

Nope. 8 players have been in the squad since the start of Gerrards first season and been in it the entire 4 years.

This doesn't account for them being injured for significant spells as well, like Ryan Jack, who basically missed an entire year of football.

The first couple of years the core of the squad was supplemented by dross like Jon Flanagan, Kyle Lafferty, Andy Halliday., Glenn Middleton, Eros Grezda, Shey Ojo, Greg Stewart, Jordan Jones, George Edmundson, Brandon Barker, Jake Hastie, Florian Kamberi, Andy King, Jamie Murphy, Ovie Ejaria, Matt Polster, Umar Sadiq, Lassana Coulibally, Gareth McAuley, Ross McCrorie.

The bulk of the current squad have in the last 2 seasons won the league unbeaten, and absolutely should have won both cups that season, no debate, and won the scottish Cup and reached a European final.

Giving them grief for the first 2 seasons under Gerrard given the tripe that made up the supporting cast is unfair

The team that lost to Aberdeen at Hampden for example contained Umar Sadiq, Jon Flanagan, Ovie Ejaria and Lass Coulibaly. On the sub bench we had Middleton, Jordan Rossiter, Andy Halliday, Eros Grezda! In fact only 6 of the matchday squad thay day are even still at the club, so it's absolute garbage to castigate the "squad" for only winning 2 trophies from 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back