The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the OP...it's mental that the player with one of the longest contracts in our team is Oboforth.
Thankfully for him that's the case or that would be his career over. At least now he has a slight chance of getting back into it. I think he's back in for pre-season training.

If we haven't signed anyone by the end if this week then it's clear we need to sell before spending significant amounts of money this summer which is incredible considering we played in a European final a few weeks back and will probably post a record turnover of £90m plus.

It's been two years now since the club actually spent more than a nominal fee on a player if we don't make a big sale this summer I fear we're heading down the same direction as last years CL qualifiers.

People complain about a lack of money but flushing away £60m in the space of 12 months cause we can't strengthen is ridiculous.

Why have you set a deadline for the end of this week to make assumptions that none of us have a clue about?

I’m going to go with the fact we haven’t made any significant signings yet as an indicator that our activity will be determined by outgoings. Hopefully, if that’s the case, we get our business done early in the window.
Which I just don’t really get.
Yes we have suffered losses, but we’ve spent next to nothing the last 3 windows and are repeatedly told how well we are doing with merch, sponsors etc

Robertson was on record saying we should be turning a profit last year pre EL run, pre Patterson and pre Gerrard compo.

If we’ve not a pot to piss in on the back of all of that we are in real real trouble and are being run all wrong

When is the last time a new signing came in late in the window and made an immediate and significant impact? And I'm not having Ryan Kent as an example since he had been with us on loan already.

A lot of it is down to man management.

The constant reference by the previous management team to players having to settle and learn the system will have contributed to this.

Anybody who’s played football knows that players will take every excuse given to them.

Some players can take time to settle, but most should be able to hit the ground running and perform immediately.

The team quite clearly needs freshened with many of these same players playing 50-60 games a season every year since 2018.
I’m not saying we don’t need new signings, what I’m saying is people going on about panicking that we haven’t made these signings yet when the window is just open. We have weeks before we have our first competitive game so have plenty of time to make signings.

I don't know why but I just get the impression that should we sign Čolak and he's given a proper run of games, he will score a barrel load.

Attributes look set up for Scottish football, he's got a very good attitude (his current manager's words), good hold up play, likes to drop deep and out wide (right hand side especially/where he is also capable of delivering a ball). Has a good physique, aerial ability and scout reports mention his willingness to create space and strike a ball at goal. He's got experience, he's won trophies, experienced different levels of football and clearly knows where the net is.

Scored two against us and whilst the defending was garbage, he took his two goals well.

A lot of it is down to man management.

The constant reference by the previous management team to players having to settle and learn the system will have contributed to this.

Anybody who’s played football knows that players will take every excuse given to them.

Some players can take time to settle, but most should be able to hit the ground running and perform immediately.
and when is the last time that happened with a signing late in the window?

After the UEFA Cup Final in 2008, we signed the following;

Majid Bougherra
Kenny Miller
Kyle Lafferty
Pedro Mendes
Maurice Edu
Andrius Velicka
Aaron Niguez
Andy Webster

We also signed Steven Davis on a permanent deal too.

Spent £17.8m
Brought in £12.3 (sold Cuellar, Cousin and Sebo)

Interesting comparison from when we last had a full season European run anyway. Hopefully we do the business before the UCL qualifiers as we don’t want another Kaunas situation here and most on that list above were signed after being knocked out the qualifiers and European football altogether for the season.

I think when Aribo is sold, things will probably also start happening this summer.

The same as last year? We have 5 weeks till our first game. Things will move, we fly out next Monday to Portugal that’s when gio will want at least 2 or 3 signings to bed them in with the squad.

This hysteria is absolutely crazy
So you reckon we will make 2 or 3 signings this week?

I’m not saying we don’t need new signings, what I’m saying is people going on about panicking that we haven’t made these signings yet when the window is just open. We have weeks before we have our first competitive game so have plenty of time to make signings.
People seem to be forgetting that a lot of contracts end on 30 June.
I fully expect us to start doing some sort of business in early July.

I don't know why but I just get the impression that should we sign Čolak and he's given a proper run of games, he will score a barrel load.

Attributes look set up for Scottish football, he's got a very good attitude (his current manager's words), good hold up play, likes to drop deep and out wide (right hand side especially/where he is also capable of delivering a ball). Has a good physique, aerial ability and scout reports mention his willingness to create space and strike a ball at goal. He's got experience, he's won trophies, experienced different levels of football and clearly knows where the net is.

Scored two against us and whilst the defending was garbage, he took his two goals well.

I agree. Think he would be a great addition at that price.

After the UEFA Cup Final in 2008, the summer we signed the following

Majid Bougherra
Kenny Miller
Kyle Lafferty
Pedro Mendes
Maurice Edu
Andrius Velicka
Aaron Niguez
Andy Webster

Spent £17.8m

I think when Aribo is sold things will probably also start happening.

Interesting comparison from when we last had a full season European run anyway. Hopefully we do the business before the UCL qualifiers as we don’t want another Kaunas situation here.
Is there a release clause? Seem to be a few English teams interested. Hope we get a bidding war.

If no release clause, realistic to hope we can get 15 mill?

Which I just don’t really get.
Yes we have suffered losses, but we’ve spent next to nothing the last 3 windows and are repeatedly told how well we are doing with merch, sponsors etc

Robertson was on record saying we should be turning a profit last year pre EL run, pre Patterson and pre Gerrard compo.

If we’ve not a pot to piss in on the back of all of that we are in real real trouble and are being run all wrong

So how much of a bottom line profit do you expect from ‘all of that’ JW ?

I get a feeling it’ll be a lot less than you are expecting mate ?

I completely agree.

He has a touch of flat track bully about him. Think he'll score plenty of the chances we've been missing in the last few years.

Reactions: KL2
I know this is going to set chaos on this discussion - however, some strong chat amongst bears in Asia (me being one of them) that the club has received a bid for a majority stake that has been treated fairly seriously and hence the delay on various signings to date.

I await to get battered by posting this....however, the chat is fairly strong amongst some credible bears.
We have a few Hong Kong based investors I'm sure

After the UEFA Cup Final in 2008, we signed the following;

Majid Bougherra
Kenny Miller
Kyle Lafferty
Pedro Mendes
Maurice Edu
Andrius Velicka
Aaron Niguez
Andy Webster

Spent £17.8m

Interesting comparison from when we last had a full season European run anyway. Hopefully we do the business before the UCL qualifiers as we don’t want another Kaunas situation here and most on that list above were signed after being knocked out the qualifiers and European football altogether for the season.

I think when Aribo is sold, things will probably also start happening this summer.

The ones we needed most were signed post Kaunas - Pedro, Boogie, Davis and Edu.

We went into Kaunas away with a midfield of Adam, McCulloch, Dailly, Thomson and Novo.

If we were anticipating an offer, perhaps even two offers, we may hesitate to spend money till we have made up our minds about players going, or staying. That's nothing to do with being skint.

Where is the Aribo confirmation that he is off? Everyone seems to be saying its as good as a done deal etc? But to who, price etc..

I hope not we have guaranteed EL Football if that can't provide a decent budget even without a player sale then i would be very disappointed if we stand still again then we are setting ourselves up for an almighty fall next season.

The club is run based on making the Europa league group stage to allow us to break even so it doesn't give us a bigger budget.

TBH we could get knocked out the CL qualifiers, struggle in our first few league games, not make a single first 11 signing and you’d still find some sort of excuse.

We get it.
Oh shut up.

I promised myself I wouldn’t get into arguments on here anymore as it’s a waste of time so I’ll just put you on ignore, you should do the same, saves the thread from becoming a farce.

Could the delay be that we are waiting until our new financial year to spend any money so the outlay is not in this years accounts?

Where is the Aribo confirmation that he is off? Everyone seems to be saying its as good as a done deal etc? But to who, price etc..
No idea.

Forrest signing Gibbs-White, Palace signed Ebiowei. Not sure but David Graham certainly seem to have briefed people.

The club is run based on making the Europa league group stage to allow us to break even so it doesn't give us a bigger budget.
There should be a decent budget add in a player sale that should more than cover 3/4 quality signings this summer at the very least.

Expectations will vary but if there isn't quality additions added and we are stuck with the bulk of the same starting 11 that was built under Mark Allen then some big questions need to be asked of our strategy and namely Ross Wilson.

So how much of a bottom line profit do you expect from ‘all of that’ JW ?

I get a feeling it’ll be a lot less than you are expecting mate ?
I’ll be fucked if I know but looking at it from what I remember of reported figured
Patterson £16m (obv not all in one go)
Gerrard £5m
Sponsors £37m (iirc the figure from Bisgrove)
Merchandise is anyones guess
ST and Match tickets
EL i’m not sure of the final figure either but apparently was more than we would’ve got for CL qualification (again if memory serves)

Now we have costs to come out of all that
obviously but if we aren’t seeing a healthy profit after all that then IMO we are headed for some really dark times again

and when is the last time that happened with a signing late in the window?

How far back do we want to go?

My post was a specific criticism of the previous management team and how they handled new arrivals, so maybe best not to use them:))

Kamara, then Hagi would be my examples from that period though.

If we’re going back to Walter’s time, Bartley, Jelavic, Mendes, Davis, Naismith, Cousin, Whittaker and Thomson are good examples of players coming in either well into, or at the end, of a transfer window and performing straight away.

All that said, I do think the earlier you get your business done the better, but sometimes you need to play the hand you’re dealt and make it work.

Most of the talk is him not signing a new deal. I think it’s been made clear. It would be a surprise to anyone and everyone if he did.

The club won’t want to lose him for nothing so he’ll be sold this summer. Can’t see it any other way to be honest.

How far back do we want to go?

My post was a specific criticism of the previous management team and how they handled new arrivals, so maybe best not to use them:))

Kamara, then Hagi would be my examples from that period though.

If we’re going back to Walter’s time, Bartley, Jelavic, Mendes, Davis, Naismith, Cousin, Whittaker and Thomson are good examples of players coming in either well into, or at the end, of a transfer window and performing straight away.

All that said, I do think the earlier you get your business done the better, but sometimes you need to play the hand you’re dealt and make it work.
If we are going back to walter's time to cite examples of players coming in late in the transfer window and hitting the ground running then it absolutely underlines the importance of getting players in early.

Why have you set a deadline for the end of this week to make assumptions that none of us have a clue about?

Because pre-season has started and we're only several weeks away now from vital champions league qualifiers which will determine a huge part of our season. We have several players coming back from long term injury who might not be fully fit for these games as well.

We either don't have much money or were are sitting on our hands hoping for the best as we face a monumental task of getting into the champions league.

I’ll be fucked if I know but looking at it from what I remember of reported figured
Patterson £16m (obv not all in one go)
Gerrard £5m
Sponsors £37m (iirc the figure from Bisgrove)
Merchandise is anyones guess
ST and Match tickets
EL i’m not sure of the final figure either but apparently was more than we would’ve got for CL qualification (again if memory serves)

Now we have costs to come out of all that
obviously but if we aren’t seeing a healthy profit after all that then IMO we are headed for some really dark times again

Remember a lot of that benefit has already been there mate, and is part of previous losses ( eg ST’s and some of the Sponsorship cash ), yet we still lost 23m or so last year, COVID affected to be fair ?

I’m not an apologist, just pointing out that I think we’ll make a profit, which is great, but not a massive one.

Most of the talk is him not signing a new deal. I think it’s been made clear. It would be a surprise to anyone and everyone if he did.

The club won’t want to lose him for nothing so he’ll be sold this summer. Can’t see it any other way to be honest.
Makes sense for us to sell Aribo, Morelos and Kent if they don’t sign new deals this summer. Problem we have is, it’s far more lucrative for these players to let there contract run down and get a large signing on fee next year.

People said the same about Goldson

Have you heard anything about Roofe not being part of Gios plans?

If he cannot get in the Scotland team before Dykes and Adams who are awful I can see why posters are concerned.
That is the managers decision though it might not be the right one and hes not a manager or even someone involved in the game anyone on here respects anyway
Don't fancy having to pay over the odds for someone that scored less league goals for Ross County than Charles Regan-Cook managed last season. If Ross Stewart is our level of ambition for next season we may as well chuck it. I don't want us to sign Colak either.
He will add so much more than goals and anyway you could do the same with every player find a useless boring stat which means little or 0, and just focus on it forever.

Having said that signing Stewart isn't going to put us on the upward trajectory Goldson spoke about when he extended his contract.
Well it will if he comes in and does the job and Rangers win our title back.

Nobody at the club did. That’s the difference.
Noted.

When you said "most of the talk is about him not signing a new deal" are you referring to posters? Or the club?

It was posters who said Goldson would not sign again, that's what I was referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back