The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bassey gets stuck into the quality of life on offer in Amsterdam then he’s unlikely to add to that list.
See when you make 200k a week, the quality of life everywhere is magic.

Footballers make money and tap into a lifestyle anywhere they go I could only dream of. I would never assume to comprehend it.

He signs then makes the most out of an Ajax move his next move could be for serious money, could be to any top European city.

Amsterdam is amazing, I lived there myself for 2 years and loved it. But if you had offered me elite level footballers money to move? I would have been looking for the boarding pass pronto.

Tbf, if their goalie hadn't saved Ramsey's passback he would've been named motm. Certainly the standout outfield player on the the pitch, followed by the guy that got the head knock.
Totally agree, and for what it’s worth I think he was the best player on the park.

We won a prize getting Aribo, Kamara, Bassey & Morelos - for the minimal fees they cost us

But how many others - say since SG arrived - haven't worked out & didn't earn us any dosh when they left ?
Our one big outlay was RK & at least we knew what we were paying for - having him on loan first

I'm not mentioning this because I want to argue against the trading model - far from it - but simply to point out we won't always be as successful buying cheap & selling expensive

There will inevitably be seasons where our new recruits won't contribute as much on the park as those mentioned above either
That's something that's always going to be risky while shopping for OOC players, youngsters & bargain basement candidates

While we will always have to respond to favourable bids when they come in - we also need to hang on to at least some of our better players- to remain successful on the pitch each season

So IMO we need a blend / balance of established players & cheaper new recruits to make this work

Contract lengths & timely extensions are therefore crucial
Somehow I don't see Ajax for example letting as many contract rundowns happen as often as we seem to be doing
(Although to be honest & I'm not aware if they do or not)

You won't always get it right, but we don't need to. As long as one out of every 3 or so works out it more than pays for itself.

Just look at celtic over the years, they'll bring in a dozen players, 7 will be rubbish but then they'll have 2 or 3 that end up being great that they end up selling on for £15m+ each after 2-3 seasons.

Also when you buy young, there will always be a market for them. We managed to sell the likes of Itten, Edmundson, Bacuna etc relatively easily despite them not being very good. The issue is when you take a punt on someone who is say 26 or 27 as if they don't work out there are less clubs willing to take them.

The main thing as you said is not getting into a situation where we're selling 4-5 at the one time, it should be 1 or 2 a season max.

By that logic, Aribo has signed for a no-mark club from a much bigger one. All about the money.

He pretty much has. With all due respect to Aribo, he has nowhere near the potential Bassey does.

Bassey genuinely could go on to be world class, but I doubt Aribo will go that much higher than Southampton.

Aribo has went for the better league and more money, he's not went because its Southampton.

Whoever gets our Young Player of the Year award at next Springs award ceremony, is going to net us some amount of dough. If the last couple of years are anything to go on.

Patterson and now Bassey. Hope its not Lowry or folk will have a stroke B-D
I think/hope Glenn Middleton is going to have an amazing season! :D

Whoever gets our Young Player of the Year award at next Springs award ceremony, is going to net us some amount of dough. If the last couple of years are anything to go on.

Patterson and now Bassey. Hope its not Lowry or folk will have a stroke B-D

Ironically both won it by default as there were no other players eligible..

I would not be selling Calvin bassey without a sell on clause that would be mental imo and if Ajax are against that I would look to an English side. I really think he is going to the top so we would be doing ourselves out of a potential 10 - 20 mill. It's a tough one I know it's a lot of money, if Ajax bid something crazy like 25m it would be hard to turn down, hopefully if he moves its down south with a sell on.

We don't know for sure what the future looks like for Calvin Bassey. We hope it's good for him. But....

He could have a big dip in form.
He could suffer a serious injury.
He could become complacent etc.
He could see his value go down after leaving us.

All 'coulds', i know.

But if a figure of around £25m is put on the table now, we are rightfully absolutely grabbing it.

I hate to lose Bassey, he's going to be a remarkable player. But if 25 million is on the table we have to take it. If we don't then next Summer he will be in the same position as Aribo, one year left on the contract and the price will half. Can't run a business like that.

I hate to lose Bassey, he's going to be a remarkable player. But if 25 million is on the table we have to take it. If we don't then next Summer he will be in the same position as Aribo, one year left on the contract and the price will half. Can't run a business like that.
You probably could.
If your business was football.
And he helped us into the champions League quarters or win the Europa League.

Seen a few "to the Dutch league?" comments here and Twitter.

If this was anyone bar Ajax I'd agree, but they've a proven track record of enhancing talent and getting them far bigger moves.
Two good seasons at Ajax would do the lad far better than he can get right now from us, sadly.
Then we really need to be pushing for some sort of change to happen to put us on Ajax level.

Ok, the Dutch have 3x the population, but we have rich next door neighbours.

We really need to tap into that.

Then we really need to be pushing for some sort of change to happen to put us on Ajax level.

Ok, the Dutch have 3x the population, but we have rich next door neighbours.

We really need to tap into that.
I think the thing that does that is proving consistently you can provide these leagues with players who can go on and do it.
Too many have left us / Scotland and go down south to flop or do very little.

£25 million to an English side isn't small change, but neither is it huge.
He may well be on the radar of clubs further up the league than Brighton who are also linked; but they can also wait another 2 years of experience at Ajax and comfortably come back with £40m knowing he can cope at a perceived higher level.

Its a slow burn really, we need guys like Aribo and Bassey to move on for decent fees - but then quickly move on again from that club to another level again. This gives clubs further up that chain the confidence.

For me its like buying a car. For years people were wary of the likes of Kia when they started mass manufacturing and trying to compete with your Honda and Hyundai. Now? They've shown they're as good cars and you see just as many as them on the road as the others. (Pish analogy maybe, but that's general point I am getting at)

Isn't the window still open following CL qualifiers? If so we could keep him for the qualifiers then sell.
For what it's worth.
I'd sell Bassey.
He's a very good player, but I think he played above himself last year.
See Marvin Andrews.

He'll never have a better season.
He'd still be good for us, but for over 20 million it's a no brainer.

But Rangers are in this game to win trophies.
Sure, we've sold Aribo and Patterson and both were great business.

We spent 30 years without selling a single player.
The idea that we now need to sell 3 or 4 a season is ridiculous.

Our house is now more or less in order.
We don't need to overhaul squads every year.

A big sale every 2 years is more than enough.
A good run in the Europa 2 years out of 3 will balance the books.

3 new signings for 2-6 million
2 bosmans.

2 bit part players out the door for 2-5 million.

That does us year on year now.
A big sale every other year brings the fees we can spend up, but we are very much sustainable now.

The notion that we need to bring in 20 million a year in sales is crazy.

We are a winning football team.
We sign players on a contract we can afford to pay for the duration of their contract.
If they sign extensions or are sold great.
If not it's amortized.

The bigger the fee in, we might extend our fee budget, but we have a wage structure.

It's all pretty simple and nowhere near as dramatic as signing another Flo tomorrow on a whim, or selling 20 million of our best talent yearly.

For what it's worth.
I'd sell Bassey.
See Marvin Andrews.

2 bosmans.

A big sale every other year brings the fees we can spend up, but we are very much sustainable now.

We sign players on a contract we can afford to pay for the duration of their contract.
If not it's amortized.

The bigger the fee in, we might extend our fee budget, but we have a wage structure.

It's all pretty simple and nowhere near as dramatic as signing another Flo tomorrow on a whim, or selling 20 million of our best talent yearly.
I really couldn't get past the bit about Bassey.

Did you actually manage a decent sensible line after that?

I really couldn't get past the bit about Bassey.

Did you actually manage a decent sensible line after that?
Don't care.
Imagine having a genuine opinion when you can just troll.
I remember many regs on here *cough cough* slagging Hutton before his big money move and I continued to tell folk he'd go for big money.

In the end. The same old trolls sit on the fence or under the bridge. Don't say anything too positive or negative or have a genuine opinion and continue to troll.

You used to post some decent stuff.
I just find you boring now.
Oh, and a liar. You read it.
Good night.

For what it's worth.
I'd sell Bassey.
See Marvin Andrews.

2 bosmans.

If not it's amortized.

Wow

I'm sure I'll be shown to be wrong when he signs for Real Madrid, City, Bayern, PSG, Liverpool, Juve, Inter, Chelsea, Tortenham, Barcelona or Man Utd.
Of course, he won't.

Where was your wee clique in this thread?
Pick your target wisely.
Some amount of cowards on here without a genuine opinion.

For what it's worth.
I'd sell Bassey.
See Marvin Andrews.

2 bosmans.

If not it's amortized.

Bored

For me, keeping McGregor, Arfield and Davis has never made any sense, under any situation.
Partly understand this ...but how much would it cost to replace three very quality signings?
I shudder to think what out transfer business would have been with out the departure of Joe.
It has been the catalyst behind the last two major signings.
For sure.

With yet more stuff to happen.
Incomings and ...outgoings.

We don't know for sure what the future looks like for Calvin Bassey. We hope it's good for him. But....

He could have a big dip in form.
He could suffer a serious injury.
He could become complacent etc.
He could see his value go down after leaving us.

All 'coulds', i know.

But if a figure of around £25m is put on the table now, we are rightfully absolutely grabbing it.
I agree we need to strike while the players are at there peak selling opportunity what happens even if he improves but doesn't sign a deal his value halves unfortunately if he signs in excellent then you hope he continues his form and progress and doesn't get injured it's hard for me a love him but now is the time to move him on for me

For what it's worth.
I'd sell Bassey.
See Marvin Andrews.

2 bosmans.

If not it's amortized.

This is a bit strange. We spent 30 years without selling a single player? When was this and how does it possibly apply now?

Your maths is way off. If we don’t sign anyone, we need a run to the Europa League last 32 or last 16 just to break even. That’s the size of our wage bill and how little money there is in Scottish football. If we want to sign players, that money has to come from somewhere.

For what it's worth.
I'd sell Bassey.
See Marvin Andrews.

2 bosmans.

If not it's amortized.

Eminem or Keats?

Ok so Follow follow scouts who can we ask for on loan from Ajax then if we sell them bassey, gio and the back room staff have connections there, there must be someone who go would benifit from a year loan to us?

For what it's worth.
I'd sell Bassey.
See Marvin Andrews.

2 bosmans.

If not it's amortized.

I can hear William Shatner reading this novella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back