The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need to live in his social sphere to judge him on his record and since arriving and it's been very poor.

Also if I was the director of a company that potentially was about to lose £40m plus worth of assets I don't think comfortable is the word I'd use to describe the situation.

He doesn't have to go running around like a headless chicken or anything but you just need to look across the city and that mob always get decent money for the major players they sell even in the final 12 months of their contacts.

If Wilson strikes great deals for Kent, Morelos and Aribo then I'll admit I was wrong but I don't think he will though that's why fan media is pushing the narrative on Aribo so much recently.
I’ll go with the theory that we are selling Aribo as he is the easiest to replace and possibly gives us something extra to extend Kent and Alfie’s contracts.

Whilst being able to spend some cash on 3 quality players

You don't need to live in his social sphere to judge him on his record and since arriving and it's been very poor.

Also if I was the director of a company that potentially was about to lose £40m plus worth of assets I don't think comfortable is the word I'd use to describe the situation.

He doesn't have to go running around like a headless chicken or anything but you just need to look across the city and that mob always get decent money for the major players they sell even in the final 12 months of their contacts.

If Wilson strikes great deals for Kent, Morelos and Aribo then I'll admit I was wrong but I don't think he will though that's why fan media is pushing the narrative on Aribo so much recently.

What exactly are you expecting Wilson to do about Aribo if there is a final year release fee within his contract that if clubs match allows them to speak to the player? Wilson joined us a few months after Aribo was signed so you can't blame him for the clause, only for not getting an extension sorted when the player, in all likelihood, didn't want to. 10m is good money. He's worth more, yes, but the clause was clearly a way to entice him to sign on with us in the first place as we certainly wouldn't have insisted on such a thing during negotiations. I really don't understand the softening up, etc argument if its factual tbh.

As for his record, he is the first DoF we've had who has actually made us money on players or recouped more than expected for others who hadn't worked out. Patterson and Grezda are prime examples of both scenarios. Perfectly acceptable to not like the man, it's your right, but to say he's not performing in the role is wide of the mark.

ET Tonight

RANGERS remain in discussions with PAOK over a deal for striker Antonio Colak as boss Giovanni van Bronckhorst attempts to bolster his Ibrox attack this summer.

The Dutchman saw his side return to pre-season training at Auchenhowie on Monday morning but former Hearts defender John Souttar is the only new face to have joined up with the Light Blues squad as work continues behind the scenes.

Striker Colak has emerged as a prime candidate in recent days and Rangers are keen to secure an agreement that will bring the 28-year-old to Glasgow ahead of the new campaign.

Greek outfit PAOK are standing firm on their valuation for Colak, though, as Ibrox chiefs seek to do a deal worth more than £2million for the striker who helped eliminate them from the Champions League last August with Malmo.

On the box-to-box midfielder suggestions - do people think Gio wants to set up with one? I'm not convinced by that.

Feels to me like having Lundstram and Jack, or whomever is picked, sitting so the full backs can be freed up is what we've decided to go with. Essentially, our goalscoring midfielder is Tavernier.
Which isn’t a great return goals-wise when you take off penalties. I think I’d prefer that threat being an attacking central midfielder.

I’ll go with the theory that we are selling Aribo as he is the easiest to replace and possibly gives us something extra to extend Kent and Alfie’s contracts.

Whilst being able to spend some cash on 3 quality players
If we sell him, or any other player for that matter, we better have signed 2-3 players first, otherwise this place will go in to meltdown

The speculation revolving around Morelos seems a little more intense than that of previous times; it also seems to be in tandem with the Colak speculation.

I’d disagree, the media speculation is the normal level for Alfie.

The summer Lille bid for him was the one where I thought we’d lose him.

I think he will sign a new deal tbh, there is a reason a bigger side hasnt taken a chance on him and thats why we’ve kept him for so long, he’ll realise that too.

His next move will be to a lesser side and lower fee than we all expected IMO.

I’d disagree, the media speculation is the normal level for Alfie.

The summer Lille bid for him was the one where I thought we’d lose him.

I think he will sign a new deal tbh, there is a reason a bigger side hasnt taken a chance on him and thats why we’ve kept him for so long, he’ll realise that too.

His next move will be to a lesser side and lower fee than we all expected IMO.
Definitely all a bit tame in regards to Alfie, more noise the season after we won the league.

“Potentially” is carrying a lot of weight in this reply.

I would have preferred us to be more apparently active by this point, but I also don’t have any anxiety over where we are just now.

We can’t force clubs to offer and we can’t force players to accept terms if they do. I am confident there’s plenty going on though. We’re just doing well at keeping our affairs under wraps.

Last edited:
I do get the feeling Morelos could go this time.
I can see the link to Spain, climate, language, happy wife happy life and all that
However they look settled like a family and he isn’t getting what he gets here anywhere. He is adored!
IF we get another big sale be it Joe, Kamara, Bassey or Kent then Alfie is the only one I’d let run his deal down if that was his intention.
It’s World Cup year and at the laughable £8m Seville rumour I’d be keeping him

I can see the link to Spain, climate, language, happy wife happy life and all that
However they look settled like a family and he isn’t getting what he gets here anywhere. He is adored!
IF we get another big sale be it Joe, Kamara, Bassey or Kent then Alfie is the only one I’d let run his deal down if that was his intention.
It’s World Cup year and at the laughable £8m Seville rumour I’d be keeping him

Colombia didn't make the WC.

We could sign multiple players and they may not do what Alfie does. That doesn’t mean they won’t be successful with us

Alfie may not be an elite finisher but he does so much more. We could get someone who is more prolific but won’t do the rest of the dirty work that Alfie does

Last year we lost goals from both our wide players and that ultimately cost us

Looking at the accounts, I think there could be anything between £6 million and £8 million available before we sell, if required.

What accounts are you looking at? The last accounts showed we needed further loans from directors to finish the season.

I think people need to lower their expectations on what Rangers are going to spend this summer. Unless we sell a couple of players for big money, we won’t be spending much IMO.

If Morelos and/or Aribo go then we change the way we play to suit their replacements. That takes hard work from the players and staff but is achievable with the resources at their disposal.

We could sign a poacher and an attacking mid that gets his shots away early but offer no physical threat that JA and Fredo offer.

The only slight worrying thing for me is the players linked, none of them are 1st 11 changing if that makes sense.

Colak - not better than Morelos
Dallinga - not better than Morelos
Lawerence - not better than Aribo

For me we are needing st least 2 1st 11 bettering (if that’s even a word) signings.

I trust we will hopefully get it right……well fingers crossed we will

I absolutely love Morelos.

We'll struggle to replace him in Europe.. he always raises his levels on those big nights.

But truthfully, i think we'll do just fine without him domestically.

His league record over the course of his time here isn't what you'd class as prolific.

Hes had great spells followed by awful spells.

I don't think it will be overly hard to find a replacement that will hit 20+ goals a season if we've got a chunk of money to spend on his replacement.

If he does go I wish him all the best.. if he signs a new deal then happy days.

I'm not stressing too much either way.

I absolutely love Morelos.

We'll struggle to replace him in Europe.. he always raises his levels on those big nights.

But truthfully, i think we'll do just fine without him domestically.

His league record over the course of his time here isn't what you'd class as prolific.

Hes had great spells followed by awful spells.

I don't think it will be overly hard to find a replacement that will hit 20+ goals a season if we've got a chunk of money to spend on his replacement.

If he does go I wish him all the best.. if he signs a new deal then happy days.

I'm not stressing too much either way.
I want him to stay, absolutely, but if we get a fair price for him and we are quite clever with our replacements then the effects will be minimal.

We have lost good players before and recovered just fine.

My only worry would be if we lose to many at once. Losing both him and Aribo massively dents our attacking threats, and would make extending Kent’s contract even more important.

I agree.

This thinking that we can't live without Morelos and will struggle to replace him has to stop.

Personally, I would sell Morelos, Aribo, Borna and possibly Kamara in this window.

That would bring in much needed money in order to genuinely refresh the starting eleven.
The thinking is based on 5 years of viewing our team with and without him, other strikers we’ve had in that time haven’t came close to being as effective. So aye it’s hard to just imagine ye just go out and snap up someone on that level that will hit the ground running, but your fantasy world sounds really good where you sell 4 players and just replace them with ease

The only slight worrying thing for me is the players linked, none of them are 1st 11 changing if that makes sense.

For me we are needing st least 2 1st 11 bettering (if that’s even a word) signings.

So if we sell Bassey, you want a replacement better than him?

I think it was about £2.5 million.

Between £2 and £3 million is not really a lot of money in the real world for a striker who bar his time in Greece has a very decent goal return in recent seasons.
Thats what I thought. I don't think it's weird to pay £2.6m for a player to replace a player that cost us ~£2.6m. I think Colak being older and more experienced would mean he doesn't suffer from stage fright like Itten and it's a less risky signing.

We can't afford a replacement? Good lord man. There was life before Morelos and there will be life after him.

He cost us £1m from Finland. There is absolutely no reason we can't find another talent and develop them or sign someone who hits the ground running and puts 25 goals in the bag for us.
Unless we get lucky or have suddenly discovered professional scouting I don’t see us getting a player anywhere near Alfie’s level, unless big Doogie coughs up cash for a top tier striker but that’s not likely is it?

Surely you can see that us selling one of our top guys and replacing them with an already better player isn't possible? Otherwise the team we sell to would have bought them instead! :))

Sign, develop, sell, repeat is the model.

Colak will 100% be coming in as a second striker, the end of last season will have shown to Gio that Roofe simply cannot be trusted, even as a back up.

If we have £6/7m sitting there, I wonder why we’re taking so long over a £2m-ish signing.
Probably just to wind in here up :))

Who, within our budget, would we target that is currently better than Morelos?

Sometimes we just have to accept that whilst a new player may not be better than his replacement he can still do a fine job within the team.

They are tough acts to follow. We are unlikely to be able to afford any players who just reached a Europa League final for one. Nor will we be buying players for the value we are selling aribo and Morelos for.... But the player standing model is all about giving high potential players a platform to perform on. Someone like Dallinga may not be at present better than Morelos, but in the future he could be. Colak may not have the stats to suggest he can perform at the top level yet, but after a season and European run with us,he may be attracting EPL interest and we may all be looking at him as the next Jelavic.

What is true for any of the players we may or may not sign. With the possible exception of Ramsay, they will never play at a bigger club than us. They may not know it yet, but we do. That sheer definition means it is almost impossible to sign a player from a bigger team than us, so the players will always be 'not as good as what we already have'.

My only concern is that we replace players who leave with players not as good as they were on the ball, which has been a defining feature of most of those players we have brought in in the last four years, and where we most often than not outdo teams; sometimes nearly every player on the park has been very good on the ball. That's my concern, because Aribo, Morelos, and Kamara, for instance,are players one can definitely trust with the ball at their feet; if they are to be replaced, then hopefully it's with players equally as good at that.

Bailey Rice from Motherwell.

We’ve apparently made a bid for him and so has the Shettleston Harriers. If That’s true, he’ll choose us. I’ve been going to the games with his Dad and Uncle for years.
We seem to be doing good business at this level, if we sign this boy Bailey Rice along with Cammy Palmer from Partick Thistle and Cameron Bell from Everton that will be 3 Scottish u17 internationals signed this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back