Official The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I’d be looking to hijsck the move by Ipswich to sign Axel Tuanzebe the now and get him in as a CB. He would have been a far better option than Balogun and would have freshened us up. We have literally seen majority of our back 4 now for 5 years.
Boateng is available on a free transfer.

In what way ?
We have won 2 domestic trophies since Gerrard. One of them was 55, when we played in empty stadiums and I think it took the pressure off some of our players. I think it was a factor considering that there have been many times we have capitulated during important games - a lot of them at Ibrox.

There were trophies there for the taking and we didn’t take them.

How the same defence on the books (Butland excluded) went unbeaten during 55 have regressed is beyond me. Is it age and injuries catching up with them or do you think there was some truth to the statement that we just played better behind closed doors due to less pressure?
Less pressure was due to Celtic collapsing early in the season, I honestly don’t believe this team has ever had the bottle to win a close knit title race. Hope I’m proved wrong

Less pressure was due to Celtic collapsing early in the season, I honestly don’t believe this team has ever had the bottle to win a close knit title race. Hope I’m proved wrong
I would agree with that 100%. I reckon closed doors was another factor because you rightly say about the team not having the bottle to win a close knit title race and I reckon that we capitulated too many times when we played in front of a hostile crowd (sometimes at Ibrox).

I really hope I’m wrong too and have the mentality to go ahead and get 56. I don’t think Celtic have improved that much and they are there for the taking this year.

Don’t get me wrong, 55 was one of the best experiences of my life, I just think a few things fell into place for us, that’s not being unstaunch. In my original post on this topic, we went undefeated and set a record for goals not conceded but essentially the same defence now looks clueless.

We have won 2 domestic trophies since Gerrard. One of them was 55, when we played in empty stadiums and I think it took the pressure off some of our players. I think it was a factor considering that there have been many times we have capitulated during important games - a lot of them at Ibrox.

There were trophies there for the taking and we didn’t take them.

We also played in empty stadiums in the cups that season and made an arse of them.

Does noone else think it was a bit odd for MB to say yesterday that we pursued a left-sided CB - presumably Trusty - only to be priced out but not to then sign an alternative for that position?

Surely there's more than one left-sided CB we could have identified? Or does he think Davies is better than all of the others we might have got?

Struck me as a strange comment.

Roll on next summer when we’ll need to address a number of areas, again.

Defence, midfield and attack.

Balogun and Barišić out of contract. Tavernier and Goldson a year older.

Jack, Sima, Lundstram, Roofe out of contract/loan up.

None of them should be kept on. That’s 6 we’ll need to replace. We already lack good defenders, a younger, mobile, robust 6. At least one winger and who knows what will happen with Lammers, Dessers and Danilo.

With the window now shut our next signing simply has to be a Director of Football/Sporting Director and a good one.

Does noone else think it was a bit odd for MB to say yesterday that we pursued a left-sided CB - presumably Trusty - only to be priced out but not to then sign an alternative for that position?

Surely there's more than one left-sided CB we could have identified? Or does he think Davies is better than all of the others we might have got?

Struck me as a strange comment.
I found it a strange, if nothing else he’s basically told everyone that he was hoping to replace Davies. A player he’ll now have to rely upon.

It’s one thing it being common knowledge among support but another for him to acknowledge it publicly.

I don’t think Beale can complain about his budget, it’s not on the board he decided to not improve the defence.

The usual suspects trying to put a positive spin on that did the exact same at the end of last summer. We all know how that turned out.

The fact is we have 3 of the same back 4 who have been starting since 2018. In that time they have only been good enough to deliver 2 trophies.

They continue to make the same mistakes that cost us, and 5 years on the idea they are now going to be miraculously good enough seems far fetched.

From what I can gather the hope seems to be the scum have regressed. Early on it seems they may have, but I would have rather concentrated on fixing on our glaring issues. Instead of just hoping they come back towards us.

I don’t think Beale can complain about his budget, it’s not on the board he decided to not improve the defence.

The usual suspects trying to put a positive spin on that did the exact same at the end of last summer. We all know how that turned out.

The fact is we have 3 of the same back 4 who have been starting since 2018. In that time they have only been good enough to deliver 2 trophies.

They continue to make the same mistakes that cost us, and 5 years on the idea they are now going to be miraculously good enough seems far fetched.

From what I can gather the hope seems to be the scum have regressed. Early on it seems they may have, but I would have rather concentrated on fixing on our glaring issues. Instead of just hoping they come back towards us.
One things for sure, this is now Beale’s team, since joining he has signed 11 players, all his choices, and his future will depend on how good a season we now have, which I think is fair.

The board have done their bit, gave him the budget while still balancing the books, it’s now over to the manager and the players.

Well this thread has taken a turn!

We now go with what we have, we can gnash teeth, shout into the abyss etc etc but it’s changing nothing

Huge game tomorrow, get it won and get the season started, win this, get past Livi into semis, perform strongly in a Europa league group we have every chance in and suddenly it’s all a bit rosier, the club have opened themselves up to criticism with lack of activity re defensive areas but done now and we’ll stand, or fall, by those decisions

In a topsy turvy thread of excellent stuff, tedious stuff and most of all bonkers stuff I’d hope we end it with realisation that 99% (maybe less!) on here are Rangers fans who all want the same thing, a winning Rangers team on the park who fight for all we love.

Hopefully we get that now

Let’s get behind this team now

Only a few months til we can do all this again!!
I'm not happy with no CL and the manner of pumping the other night. I wanted a CB and a winger. But it is what it is. We move on.

This is the team and the manager for the foreseeable and we need to get behind them. Win tomorrow and the mood changes.

Strengthen the attack in the summer.

Spend on the defence in winter to help preserve the 15 point lead we'll have at that point.

I take it back Beale, the man has clearly got a plan.

Exactly this, did we not get to a Europa league final with the backing of sell out Ibrox nights.

Funnily enough I’ve never heard a Tim mention this then.
Yes exactly the backing of the fans helped but getting on there backs with groaning , moaning , booing certainly doesn’t

There has been an almighty mood swing since we were walking on air with smiley emoji faces last Saturday tea time, now half the forum are suicidal.

It was a crazy one this year. Time will tell if it's been a good window or not.

The defence is a riot though, we don't need time to tell that, it's the same shite defence we've had for years that can't win anything. I find it truly astonishing it's not been addressed, particularly as we were actively chasing defenders weeks a d weeks ago yet suddenly stopped.

It's done now, just have to hope and pray it all comes together for Beale. Tomorrow is enormous for him/us.

Beales going nowhere I think a lot of our fans are a bit premature with saying the signings have been poor we are 3 GAMES into our league we have changed most of the players middle to front for me we need to wait and see and I will hold my hand up if by Christmas we don’t see an improvement but I think we will in all honesty

See this type of 'fact', it simply doesn't wash.

Beale has been at the club (as manager) for 9 months.
He's also played several pre-season friendlies with his new signings, 1 League Cup game, and 4 European games (so basically around a dozen games in total) and he still doesn't seem to be able to pick his first 11 or play any kind of obvious formation that suits the players (that he signed).

Roll on next summer when we’ll need to address a number of areas, again.

Defence, midfield and attack.

Balogun and Barišić out of contract. Tavernier and Goldson a year older.

Jack, Sima, Lundstram, Roofe out of contract/loan up.

None of them should be kept on. That’s 6 we’ll need to replace. We already lack good defenders, a younger, mobile, robust 6. At least one winger and who knows what will happen with Lammers, Dessers and Danilo.

With the window now shut our next signing simply has to be a Director of Football/Sporting Director and a good one.
It took the club 2 years to get any sort of scouting network set up after we got the spivs out. The board mean well but there's certain areas of the club that are hard to trust them getting right and bringing the club forward to how most well run ones operate.

It's debatable if the clubs needs a director of football as others can pull their weight in the areas of the club they work at. What's not debatable is the need for a head of recruitment who understands the world market. The reality is we have wasted millions on transfer fees and wages on players who haven't improved us and just got battered 5-1 by a team with a similar wage bill to ours. The odd jackpot sale like Bassey, or developing someone like Patterson has covered a lot of failure in recent seasons on the recruitment side but it's still set us back.

He's also played several pre-season friendlies with his new signings, 1 League Cup game, and 4 European games (so basically around a dozen games in total) and he still doesn't seem to be able to pick his first 11 or play any kind of obvious formation that suits the players (that he signed).
Agree, 100%.

He’s had targets in his mind going back from Christmas to March. Assuming he got all the targets he wanted, he must have known where they would play and how they would fit in the team. Didn’t he say that he gave each player a personal meeting and a rundown on where he saw them fit into the team. Giving him the benefit of the doubt that it’s all academic until they are in the door, he’s had a full pre season and played enough games to know who fits best where.

There are no long term injuries as far as I’m aware so it’s concerning that a starting 11 hasn’t been established.

All Summer we had posters in here telling us we needed more goals, we needed to strengthen forward and midfield areas to close the gap on the Dhims - outlier in my opinion - huge number of goals last season. For better or worse, we’ve done that. Time will tell.

We all also recognised weaknesses in defence, primarily at LCB and LB. Some hung their hats on Ridvan but most recognised that, without departures, nobody would be coming in to fill those positions. No way, for example, were we going to pay three LBs over £1m a year each in salary. Nobody wanted Davies, Ridvan or Barisic at the fee we would have wanted. Hell, nobody was even prepared to make a decent loan offer. Given the lack of indication of a move for any of them until the derisory offer from Stoke for Davies I never anticipated any incomings yesterday. Nobody should have.

We go with what we have - which is more than enough for domestic success - and hope we avoid too many injuries in the defensive areas of the team. We’ve the scope to rotate to our hearts content in the attacking areas and that should, in the end, pay off for us.

Dhims will go into tomorrow with a makeshift defence. Let’s hope it hurts them the way it hurt us last season.

Unsure why McCrorie is still here. How difficult was it to find him a transfer or loan move if he asked to leave? He's further away than ever from the first team. No argument to be had that he should replace Butland whereas as 40 plus McGregor there was at least a conversation

All Summer we had posters in here telling us we needed more goals, we needed to strengthen forward and midfield areas to close the gap on the Dhims - outlier in my opinion - huge number of goals last season. For better or worse, we’ve done that. Time will tell.

We all also recognised weaknesses in defence, primarily at LCB and LB. Some hung their hats on Ridvan but most recognised that, without departures, nobody would be coming in to fill those positions. No way, for example, were we going to pay three LBs over £1m a year each in salary. Nobody wanted Davies, Ridvan or Barisic at the fee we would have wanted. Hell, nobody was even prepared to make a decent loan offer. Given the lack of indication of a move for any of them until the derisory offer from Stoke for Davies I never anticipated any incomings yesterday. Nobody should have.

We go with what we have - which is more than enough for domestic success - and hope we avoid too many injuries in the defensive areas of the team. We’ve the scope to rotate to our hearts content in the attacking areas and that should, in the end, pay off for us.

Dhims will go into tomorrow with a makeshift defence. Let’s hope it hurts them the way it hurt us last season.
Excellent post, Valley Bluenose.

I’m not a Borna hater but for some reason (perhaps naivety) I still think Yilmaz can do a job for us at LB as he looks a better defender than BB and I want my full backs to be able to defend first and foremost.

I wonder what the script is with his injuries, he never really had any at Besiktas iirc. A player is always going to get injured, I just hope he gets back to full fitness soon. Glad that Dr Waller is back.

It was a crazy one this year. Time will tell if it's been a good window or not.

The defence is a riot though, we don't need time to tell that, it's the same shite defence we've had for years that can't win anything. I find it truly astonishing it's not been addressed, particularly as we were actively chasing defenders weeks a d weeks ago yet suddenly stopped.

It's done now, just have to hope and pray it all comes together for Beale. Tomorrow is enormous for him/us.
Defence is far from a riot.

We have conceded 1 goal in the SPL, our challengers have conceded 3.

We will not be up against a team of PSV quality until after Christmas (if we qualify from the Europa )

Unsure why McCrorie is still here. How difficult was it to find him a transfer or loan move if he asked to leave? He's further away than ever from the first team. No argument to be had that he should replace Butland whereas as 40 plus McGregor there was at least a conversation
He’s our number 2 keeper and home trained. If we got rid and never replaced him we would have to use a place in the euro squad fir McLaughlin.

Bang on the money

An injury prone defence that wasn’t good enough last season…

Our answer this season …… an 35yr old, injury prone Leon Balogun.

I’m not even sure the happy clappers could turn that into an acceptable outcome.

A CB, LB and good no. 6 is what we’ve needed for umpteen windows. Still we await these positions being addressed. It’s no wonder our trophy haul has been abysmal in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back