Official The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had one clear cut chance and missed it
He was pish
His MO is to fall over and hope he gets a foul
He makes miovski look great which is some going
I am not talking about signing him or his (lack of) ability. I am highlighting the fact that he ran his socks off for his team for 90 minutes. Who in our forward line does that ?

It took the club 2 years to get any sort of scouting network set up after we got the spivs out. The board mean well but there's certain areas of the club that are hard to trust them getting right and bringing the club forward to how most well run ones operate.

It's debatable if the clubs needs a director of football as others can pull their weight in the areas of the club they work at. What's not debatable is the need for a head of recruitment who understands the world market. The reality is we have wasted millions on transfer fees and wages on players who haven't improved us and just got battered 5-1 by a team with a similar wage bill to ours. The odd jackpot sale like Bassey, or developing someone like Patterson has covered a lot of failure in recent seasons on the recruitment side but it's still set us back.

We need a DoF/Sporting Director. It's arrogance on our part to think we've got it right and everyone else has it wrong.

The summer has proven that the idea we throw this job lot into the managers lap cannot be allowed again. Lammers signed because he was looked at 5 years ago and Beale saw him play against Chelsea u18s or something. Beale doesn't get his first choice LCB so he just doesn't bother going for an alternative.

We either act like a big club or stop kidding ourselves we are one

What's the rules now the deadline is passed ?

OOC players are still fair game aren't they ? Loan's aren't though are they ? or are there exceptions?

Are there any restrictions / freedoms on players outwith European locations ?
Or are there world-wide rules ?

I'm not expecting anymore out or in-comings & part of me is glad the door's closed on the general sale - but I'am puzzled on what rules apply now

Beales going nowhere I think a lot of our fans are a bit premature with saying the signings have been poor we are 3 GAMES into our league we have changed most of the players middle to front for me we need to wait and see and I will hold my hand up if by Christmas we don’t see an improvement but I think we will in all honesty

Beale’s been here nearly as long as Gio lasted!

We’re only about a couple of months of a difference.

Let’s not try to pretend he’s 3 games into his tenure :))

Excellent post, Valley Bluenose.

I’m not a Borna hater but for some reason (perhaps naivety) I still think Yilmaz can do a job for us at LB as he looks a better defender than BB and I want my full backs to be able to defend first and foremost.

I wonder what the script is with his injuries, he never really had any at Besiktas iirc. A player is always going to get injured, I just hope he gets back to full fitness soon. Glad that Dr Waller is back.
Presumably you'd like to see Sterling at RB as well then? ;)

Because Tavernier can't defend for shit.

All Summer we had posters in here telling us we needed more goals, we needed to strengthen forward and midfield areas to close the gap on the Dhims - outlier in my opinion - huge number of goals last season. For better or worse, we’ve done that. Time will tell.

We all also recognised weaknesses in defence, primarily at LCB and LB. Some hung their hats on Ridvan but most recognised that, without departures, nobody would be coming in to fill those positions. No way, for example, were we going to pay three LBs over £1m a year each in salary. Nobody wanted Davies, Ridvan or Barisic at the fee we would have wanted. Hell, nobody was even prepared to make a decent loan offer. Given the lack of indication of a move for any of them until the derisory offer from Stoke for Davies I never anticipated any incomings yesterday. Nobody should have.

We go with what we have - which is more than enough for domestic success - and hope we avoid too many injuries in the defensive areas of the team. We’ve the scope to rotate to our hearts content in the attacking areas and that should, in the end, pay off for us.

Dhims will go into tomorrow with a makeshift defence. Let’s hope it hurts them the way it hurt us last season.
As much as I appreciate what you're saying, and agree with to an extent - not strengthening LCB as a priority is a glaring error imo.

I think two out of the three strikers we paid fees for would have made sense, then a LCB.
Everything else should have been further down the list of priorities.

It's very early days of course, and I've purposely not commented on Lammers and Cifuentes as frankly I haven't seen all that much of them - but generally all the new signings need to pull their fingers out and start performing.

But Beale has to help them get there as well.

Net spend has been minimal.

Beale had gone in about the 'backing' being more than any other manager in recent times. Yet we have only a net spend of around £2m.

What changed???

Serious question - what the f*ck does the net spend have to do with backing?

If we have spent £12m then Beale has been backed to the tune of £12m.

Agree, 100%.

He’s had targets in his mind going back from Christmas to March. Assuming he got all the targets he wanted, he must have known where they would play and how they would fit in the team. Didn’t he say that he gave each player a personal meeting and a rundown on where he saw them fit into the team. Giving him the benefit of the doubt that it’s all academic until they are in the door, he’s had a full pre season and played enough games to know who fits best where.

There are no long term injuries as far as I’m aware so it’s concerning that a starting 11 hasn’t been established.

With the schedule of matches we have just had we were never going to see an established "11" over this period.

1st game several players weren't ready yet
We weren't going to play the same team in the CL qualifiers as we were at home to Livi for example.
The league cup game v lower league was used to give some other players game time.
A game in the middle of the CL play off was not going to have the same line up as vs a team like PSV, both in terms of tactical approach and the players used.

He said himself yesterday that after this break we will see a more consistent approach. We have 6 European games across a 13 week period rather than 4 in 4 weeks, so it's not always going to be a looming spectre over domestic team selection where we have a euro game every midweek.

Unsure why McCrorie is still here. How difficult was it to find him a transfer or loan move if he asked to leave? He's further away than ever from the first team. No argument to be had that he should replace Butland whereas as 40 plus McGregor there was at least a conversation
We need McCrorie here and I wouldn’t be surprised if we blocked a move for him. We can’t be using one of the euro squad spots for our back up goalkeeper. Not with the status of the squad as it is just now.

It was a crazy one this year. Time will tell if it's been a good window or not.

The defence is a riot though, we don't need time to tell that, it's the same shite defence we've had for years that can't win anything. I find it truly astonishing it's not been addressed, particularly as we were actively chasing defenders weeks a d weeks ago yet suddenly stopped.

It's done now, just have to hope and pray it all comes together for Beale. Tomorrow is enormous for him/us.
Cold light of morning comment- spot on.

The defence is a strange one. A fingers crossed gamble when based on previous the odds are firmly against. I can only think the gaffer believes we take the pressure off the defence if the midfield and strikers score loads. “We’re gonna score one more than you” is crazy stuff, this isn’t Cruyff’s Barcelona.

I recall reading how delighted many were about Sima signing, how Dessers would be great and the one we really wanted was Danilo (but we’d unlikely manage to get both)

Tomorrow is massive. I hoped but didn’t 100% expect the new players to be good enough to do well in the champions league. Last year proves the gap beyond the Europa league is beyond us. I do expect them to be good enough to beat Killie, Morton, Septic and win the league.

They’ll get better, we’ll get better but if we lose tomorrow, we’ll be relying on them slipping up. Already.

Anyway, battle fever on. Mon the teds, Cantwell to score and Danilo hat trick. 4-0

Defence is far from a riot.

We have conceded 1 goal in the SPL, our challengers have conceded 3.

We will not be up against a team of PSV quality until after Christmas (if we qualify from the Europa )
Correct on all fronts.

Yeah the transfer window wasn't perfect and I'd have personally hoped to see a right sided attacker and left sided centre half added, but as it stands, looking at our squad and looking 'over the fence' at their squad, I'm pretty comfortable going into this busy period of the season.

PSV will be far and away the best side we'll face until 2024. The defeat the other night has clouded a lot of people's judgement about our prospects this season.

The league title is the absolute priority this season. Failure again to clinch it would be a huge setback for our club on and off the field.

I'm genuinely confident about this season, domestically. I'm confident about tomorrow and I'm confident that the majority of the new 'slow burners' we've brought into the squad will get up to speed in good time and turn out to be good signings.

I'd go as far to say that if we get to the 92 points that we got last season, it'll be enough to win the title this year - but we need to make sure we do better against them and take the lions share of the 12 points up for grabs in the head to heads. They are a totally different animal under Rodgers than they were under AP. Their fans know it too.

If he is a really good defender, then yes but I haven’t seen the guy play yet. What’s your opinion of him?
Hard to tell as I've not seen much of him either.

I was just messing though, it seems like everyone wants Ridvan to replace Borna, when imo he is not a very good defender either, but hardly anyone suggests replacing Tavernier with Sterling for the same reason.

With the schedule of matches we have just had we were never going to see an established "11" over this period.

We weren't going to play the same team in the CL qualifiers as we were at home to Livi for example.
The league cup game v lower league was used to give some other players game time.
A game in the middle of the CL play off was not going to have the same line up as vs a team like PSV, both in terms of tactical approach and the players used.

He said himself yesterday that after this break we will see a more consistent approach. We have 6 European games across a 13 week period rather than 4 in 4 weeks, so it's not always going to be a looming spectre over domestic team selection where we have a euro game every midweek.
I haven’t listened to his interview yet so I’ll take your word for it that things will be consistent soon.

All Summer we had posters in here telling us we needed more goals, we needed to strengthen forward and midfield areas to close the gap on the Dhims - outlier in my opinion - huge number of goals last season. For better or worse, we’ve done that. Time will tell.

We all also recognised weaknesses in defence, primarily at LCB and LB. Some hung their hats on Ridvan but most recognised that, without departures, nobody would be coming in to fill those positions. No way, for example, were we going to pay three LBs over £1m a year each in salary. Nobody wanted Davies, Ridvan or Barisic at the fee we would have wanted. Hell, nobody was even prepared to make a decent loan offer. Given the lack of indication of a move for any of them until the derisory offer from Stoke for Davies I never anticipated any incomings yesterday. Nobody should have.

We go with what we have - which is more than enough for domestic success - and hope we avoid too many injuries in the defensive areas of the team. We’ve the scope to rotate to our hearts content in the attacking areas and that should, in the end, pay off for us.

Dhims will go into tomorrow with a makeshift defence. Let’s hope it hurts them the way it hurt us last season.
I agree with most of that VB, but where I think it’s deserving of further questioning is the whole centre of defence issue.

When King got injured we rushed out to bring back Balogun supposedly to provide cover, only to then discover that the former’s injury wasn’t anywhere near as serious as first thought. Once he was in though and there was the prospect of King being available again much sooner I think that made it more difficult for Beale to go to the board for more funds for another centre back.

There’s also the question of how we used the budget available. For instance, rather than bringing in Sima on loan, perhaps we should have looked to loan in a better quality centre back instead?

Going further there’s also a good argument to say that having added Dessers, Lammers and Sima to an attack that still had Roofe in it, perhaps we should have looked to use the £6m we subsequently spent on Danilo towards a centre half first?

Time will tell as you rightly say, but at this juncture it’s threatening to become a bit of a disaster.

Even this early into the season I think tomorrow has become make or break for Beale.

Does noone else think it was a bit odd for MB to say yesterday that we pursued a left-sided CB - presumably Trusty - only to be priced out but not to then sign an alternative for that position?

Surely there's more than one left-sided CB we could have identified? Or does he think Davies is better than all of the others we might have got?

Struck me as a strange comment.

Another one for fan media to ask him

Overall, I'm happy with the transfers in. It's a huge overhaul and I'm sure many would have taken that at the end of last season. I certainly didn't expect to sign so many. I'm a little disappointed with the outgoings as I think the squad could do with being trimmed a little more. This highlights why we need a DoF imo.

Doing so much of our business early has made some fans greedy and expecting more at the end. I'd rather we did it this way than the other sides you see desperately scrambling to pick up what they can to appease fans.

Too many are focused on fees and ignoring that we've probably brought in a few on top wages. The whole page needs to be considered before the board can be advised of penny pinching.

I haven’t listened to his interview yet so I’ll take your word for it that things will be consistent soon.

I think the base formation / line up for domestic games is going to be

Butland

Tav / Sterling
Goldson / Balogun
Souttar / Davies
Barisic / Ridvan

Cifuentes / Jack
Raskin / Lundstram
Cantwell / Dowell

Lammers / Lawrence

Dessers / Sima
Danilo / Roofe

Matondo has emerged as a bit of a wild card and both he and Sima give an option to play them wide to give a different option.

Said it several times but Net Spend has become this windows thing that the torn faced whiners have latched onto as a way to have a go at the board, it’s tiresome nonsense.

The manager has been backed, and we have almost balanced the books. I think we would all have preferred another defender come in, but ultimately 9 new players is a large turnover in anyone’s books, we are living within our means

I agree with most of that VB, but where I think it’s deserving of further questioning is the whole centre of defence issue.

When King got injured we rushed out to bring back Balogun supposedly to provide cover, only to then discover that the former’s injury wasn’t anywhere near as serious as first thought. Once he was in though and there was the prospect of King being available again much sooner I think that made it more difficult for Beale to go to the board for more funds for another centre back.

There’s also the question of how we used the budget available. For instance, rather than bringing in Sima on loan, perhaps we should have looked to loan in a better quality centre back instead?

Going further there’s also a good argument to say that having added Dessers, Lammers and Sima to an attack that still had Roofe in it, perhaps we should have looked to use the £6m we subsequently spent on Danilo towards a centre half first?

Time will tell as you rightly say, but at this juncture it’s threatening to become a bit of a disaster.

Even this early into the season I think tomorrow has become make or break for Beale.

I think he decided to go with Balogun as a cheap cover option and use the money to sign Danilo, with the plan then to be to move Davies on before bringing in another defender.

He said he had been speaking to Balogun for a couple of weeks, so seems like it was always a possibility and the King injury just expedited the decision.

There’s been far too much noise around Harry Souttar for it not to be true. All the fan media reported we wanted him and Souttar wanted to come. If the manager didn’t want him it would’ve been shut down ages ago.
Souttar wanted to come, but MB has too many right footed CH. I said way earlier in this thread that it wasn't happening.

There’s more sense getting talked in this thread since the window closed. Where’s my daily dose of nonsense

We have 28 players classed as first team at the moment in the squad. Man City who won everything last year and have a manager who is probably the most intense in the world in his demands of players have 24.

Its possible we start tomorrow with just Butland and Dessers from the new signings despite all the money spent. While its important to have options we do not need that many players for Scotland and all it does is reduce the money we can spend by spreading the wage budget out rather than focusing on real quality.

I think he decided to go with Balogun as a cheap cover option and use the money to sign Danilo, with the plan then to be to move Davies on before bringing in another defender.

He said he had been speaking to Balogun for a couple of weeks, so seems like it was always a possibility and the King injury just expedited the decision.
That’s what I think too - the spiel that we acted quickly to bring him in as cover for King didn’t really wash for me.

The point remains however: centre back was a priority area to address and for one reason or another we haven’t done so satisfactorily.

Helander leaving freed up a sizeable wage but it looks like this was used elsewhere in the rebuild.

Wednesday night really exposed for me the wisdom of failing to address that area of the pitch with the same vigour we did elsewhere.

We have 28 players classed as first team at the moment in the squad. Man City who won everything last year and have a manager who is probably the most intense in the world in his demands of players have 24.

Its possible we start tomorrow with just Butland and Dessers from the new signings despite all the money spent. While its important to have options we do not need that many players for Scotland and all it does is reduce the money we can spend by spreading the wage budget out rather than focusing on real quality.

We have 25 really plus a few youths that will barely feature and Scott Wright should have moved on so 24.

Well said mate, this is where I sit.
Let's fkn go and do this.
Ps.Wonder what thread all the dims on this one will travel to next.

Unsure why McCrorie is still here. How difficult was it to find him a transfer or loan move if he asked to leave? He's further away than ever from the first team. No argument to be had that he should replace Butland whereas as 40 plus McGregor there was at least a conversation
Personally I'm pleased he's still here as he'll be a fine number 2 and will get game time this season.

We have 25 really plus a few youths that will barely feature and Scott Wright should have moved on so 24.
Only King and Devine are youth players in the squad and if they won't play at all they should be getting loaned out.

We have way too many players on the books, it was the same last season and despite reducing it down slightly I can guarantee at some points this season we will have a bench filled with first team pros probably on combined wages of £150k contributing very little.

The amount of people who expect us to spend much more than what we bring in is wild.

It's not just the transfer fees, but signing fees, agents fees, wages, all on top of the other running costs of the club. Especially as playing in Scotland gets us very little TV/Sponsorship money.

Do people live their lives spending month to month what is on the top line of their pay rather than what their 'net pay' is (since net spend is the new buzz phrase). Their finances must be a riot.

Well said mate, this is where I sit.
Let's fkn go and do this.
Ps.Wonder what thread all the dims on this one will travel to next.

Posters on here were delighted with our transfers this window, “Best window in years” was the actual quotes.

A very bad night against a top side who were highly motivated for revenge and all of a sudden we have a defence as bad as the Murty days.

IMO our defence SHOULD be fine in Scotland as long as our forwards start scoring and finishing off games, 3/4 of our defence are title winners at the end of the day. (Trying to be positive)

Said it several times but Net Spend has become this windows thing that the torn faced whiners have latched onto as a way to have a go at the board, it’s tiresome nonsense.

The manager has been backed, and we have almost balanced the books. I think we would all have preferred another defender come in, but ultimately 9 new players is a large turnover in anyone’s books, we are living within our means

Bluntly, sustainability is something folk can’t get their heads round. I would imagine this years accounts will run very close to break even (best guess on my part). Man City have spent about £200m and I bet their net spend is very close to zero. Would folk say PG has not not been backed?

The challenge now is to get it right on the park, our start to the season has been patchy but we have a big opportunity tomorrow. Big day for Beale and I’m confident. If we lose, he’s under big pressure and I have a feeling our CEO and chairman may be more demanding than those who have been there in the past.

Beale needs to find a settled starting 11, he will know that. Build some consistency and the rest will follow.

The rush to condemn our new signings is absolute madness. Things were never going to click by the end of August, it has been a month to get through, get Europe mapped out and minutes in to the legs of as many players as possible.

I’m confident

I was just messing though, it seems like everyone wants Ridvan to replace Borna, when imo he is not a very good defender either,

I was just messing though, it seems like everyone wants Ridvan to replace Borna, when imo he is not a very good defender either, but hardly anyone suggests replacing Tavernier with Sterling for the same reason.
Tav has scored 100 goals

FWIW I personally would like Ridvan to replace Borna but he needs to get fit and have a decent run of games, so I think BB will keep him out the team for a while but I personally think he’s a better and more aggressive defender than BB but I wouldn’t say he’s a great defender and with better scouting I think we could have recruited better. He has time on his side to improve and he does seem to get up and down the pitch quicker.

I do admit to having a bit of a soft spot for Ridvan because I want him to do well. If he makes the grade then we can punt him for a decent profit. I do think this will be BB’s last year so maybe Ridvan will have to wait a bit longer to be first choice - unless BB screws up royally.

If Ridvan can’t get fit this season to play consistently then I think we will sell him in the summer. Either way, we’ll need a new LB next summer.

I don’t think Tav has a defensive bone in his body but his goal threat/count keeps him in the team and there isn’t a good case to drop him unless the goals dry up.

The only way I see Sterling replacing him is if Tav gets injured. If Sterling did get a run of games and was a stronger and more aggressive defender then I would keep him in the team.

Not sure MB or most on here would agree with me though.

During the Souness era, if someone played crap for a few games or got injured, they got replaced and if the replacement did well and did not merit being dropped, he retained his place.

I think that’s how it should be imo.

Only King and Devine are youth players in the squad and if they won't play at all they should be getting loaned out.

We have way too many players on the books, it was the same last season and despite reducing it down slightly I can guarantee at some points this season we will have a bench filled with first team pros probably on combined wages of £150k contributing very little.

Are we not supposed to have good options in reserve?

It's a 16 man game now. It also looks like we will be a minimum 59 game season as well, so there is plenty game time available for the squad.

Does noone else think it was a bit odd for MB to say yesterday that we pursued a left-sided CB - presumably Trusty - only to be priced out but not to then sign an alternative for that position?

Surely there's more than one left-sided CB we could have identified? Or does he think Davies is better than all of the others we might have got?

Struck me as a strange comment.
I think it means we couldn’t get better than we already have

Quick observation. Did people not say we would have to sell Barasic and Lundstram this summer to save them walking for free . So now that’s going to happen that’s another 2 players we could have got feea for leaving for zilch

You only get fees if someone is willing to pay what you want

Sometimes its better to keep them than take a small amount and need to spend even more to replace

Net spend is just another stick for the nut jobs to moan about mate

Its a good way of knowing who to put on ignore

Given the noises we’ve made about operating a player trading model I think it’s more than reasonable for Beale to have had every penny raised, plus a bit extra on top, to spend.

We need to be self sustaining, and it’s up to the CEO, the recruitment team and the manager to make sure we squeeze everything we can out of the budget available.

Are we not supposed to have good options in reserve?

It's a 16 man game now. It also looks like we will be a minimum 59 game season as well, so there is plenty game time available for the squad.
Just my view on it but the change to five subs has made very little difference to the amount of games squad players will get. Most teams still make one or two changes 60-70 minutes and then we often now see a load of players making appearances 85 minutes onwards to time waste or see out games.

I don't think its worth us spending say £20k a week on someone for them to come on for 5 mins against SPL teams. To me its a waste of resources and the majority of the budget should be spent on a really solid first 11 and have say 5-6 experienced guys after that to fill in as competition and then the rest are players from the youth set up who should get a chance.

It was talked about on super Sunday a few weeks back when Ashley Cole was on saying him and Lampard felt they couldn't do any real coaching at Chelsea because there was too many players at each session. Him and Redknapp said an ideal squad would be around 22-23 players for the EPL.

The board I think have pushed the wage bill to the limit this window and its why we couldn't get the deal done for Souttar yesterday. If we had signed 3 less players this window we probably had room to get it done. I would rather have someone solid going straight into the line up than 3 or 4 options on the bench.

Posters on here were delighted with our transfers this window, “Best window in years” was the actual quotes.

A very bad night against a top side who were highly motivated for revenge and all of a sudden we have a defence as bad as the Murty days.

IMO our defence SHOULD be fine in Scotland as long as our forwards start scoring and finishing off games, 3/4 of our defence are title winners at the end of the day. (Trying to be positive)
If I'm honest of course I would have liked Davies shipped out and a replacement bought but we were never just adding another CB to the squad imo.
I'm not going to get worked up about something out with my control.
I'll back the team and manager as is and I believe a lot of the wrath on here is from folks who just don't want Beale as manager.
Imo of course;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back