Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep exactly that for me. I was probably being conservative with the 8/9 points (was adding on an extra 4 for the two draws at home to Hearts and Motherwell, and possibly a point away to DU from when we lost). As you can see, I haven’t even accounted for the Aberdeen dropped points in either game. We really should be out of sight.

Yes. We absolutely should be out of sight mate. Hugely frustrating.

Yeah, but we've also had games where we've rode our luck to take points so it somewhat balances out.

People above are expecting perfection - that's just unreasonable.

never been huge in the idea that football is that luck related personally.

i.e Motherwell when Sakala is probably offside, luck, not for me, we had just been a bit sh*te the rest of that game, Dundee, the penalty, again, I didn't see that as luck, we had just been sh*te

Always find a slight element of BS around the idea every signing is a gamble.

Hellander, signed from Seria A, didn't feel like a gamble.
Defoe, didn't feel like a gamble.
McGregor, didn't feel like a gamble.
Jelavic, didn't feel like a gamble

Prso, Boumsong, Ferguson and his return, they didn't feel like gambles, Kamara, Aribo and Goldson didn't feel like a gamble.

Clubs very often sign players and you have a decent enough idea it is going to be a pretty smart move and upgrade a team

Clearly I am not saying this will happen at all, for a second, it is an example reference only, but if by some miracle we were able to take a player like say Jota from Liverpool on loan this window, that wouldn't feel like any kind of gamble, it would seem a really sensible decision.

Yeah maybe "gamble" isn't the right word to use but there is still definitely a risk versus reward element of any signing.

The signings made by Gerrard were pretty much guaranteed to improve the state of the playing squad. However, let's not forget results on the pitch across 2018-19 (we only got 78 points) and January and February 2020.

After the 2017-18 season it would be a given that almost any signings would be an improvement.

In the aftermath of last season that's a very different prospect. You've got an established team who have just racked up 102 points and gone undefeated in the previous league campaign and you are valuing pretty much every player at 10 million or more. Then you are saying "we need to improve the starting eleven". For me, there is no way to do that without spending some serious money or getting lucky with a few signings.

Realistically you look at last seasons team and accept that most of those players have basically guaranteed their spot in the starting line up. So you'd be looking at bringing in back-up players with a view to developing them into the next big thing.

The Lundstram experiment doesn't work because you are basically trying to get a Davis or Kamara level player in the team while you still have Davis and Kamara. The best the guy can hope for is to come in and impress when they are out injured and possibly compete for a place in the team but ultimately the guys who delivered last season are the ones who will be, deservedly, trusted.

The line up against Sparta at Ibrox was McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Bassey, Barisic, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Hagi, Morelos, Kent. You'd replace Bassey with Helander if you wanted to talk about our best eleven but as far as improving that starting line up the only one you'd be looking at dropping is Hagi. Possibly Davis and only because his career is winding down now. So virtually any signing we make is going to be a back up as they are not going to break into that team. Unless we spend big.

So long as he’s slow he should be a decent alternative mate lol

Btw us he any relation to the quite brilliant Martin Jorgensen he was a quite brilliant player

Not that I know of.

Was he the guy at Charlton? Palace? I remember one of those two had a really rapid Danish winger.

Yeah maybe "gamble" isn't the right word to use but there is still definitely a risk versus reward element of any signing.

The signings made by Gerrard were pretty much guaranteed to improve the state of the playing squad. However, let's not forget results on the pitch across 2018-19 (we only got 78 points) and January and February 2020.

After the 2017-18 season it would be a given that almost any signings would be an improvement.

In the aftermath of last season that's a very different prospect. You've got an established team who have just racked up 102 points and gone undefeated in the previous league campaign and you are valuing pretty much every player at 10 million or more. Then you are saying "we need to improve the starting eleven". For me, there is no way to do that without spending some serious money or getting lucky with a few signings.

Realistically you look at last seasons team and accept that most of those players have basically guaranteed their spot in the starting line up. So you'd be looking at bringing in back-up players with a view to developing them into the next big thing.

The Lundstram experiment doesn't work because you are basically trying to get a Davis or Kamara level player in the team while you still have Davis and Kamara. The best the guy can hope for is to come in and impress when they are out injured and possibly compete for a place in the team but ultimately the guys who delivered last season are the ones who will be, deservedly, trusted.

The line up against Sparta at Ibrox was McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Bassey, Barisic, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Hagi, Morelos, Kent. You'd replace Bassey with Helander if you wanted to talk about our best eleven but as far as improving that starting line up the only one you'd be looking at dropping is Hagi. Possibly Davis and only because his career is winding down now. So virtually any signing we make is going to be a back up as they are not going to break into that team. Unless we spend big.

Our likely right winger for the time being is going to be Wright or Sakala, I don't think it would take much game or risk to improve on either of them in that position TBH.

never been huge in the idea that football is that luck related personally.

i.e Motherwell when Sakala is probably offside, luck, not for me, we had just been a bit sh*te the rest of that game, Dundee, the penalty, again, I didn't see that as luck, we had just been sh*te

As Alex says though it balances itself out. I'd argue we deserved 6 points from the 2 draws against Motherwell and Hearts, however we didn't really deserve a point against Aberdeen at Home or the 3 points at dens park earlier in the season. The league table is about right as it stands.

We deserve all we get if we lose this league I'm afraid.

I know we needed to plug gaps financially but after getting the guts of 16m for Patterson & Gerrard then the injury to Hagi if the only business we do is a loan that's just not good enough.

We needed a RW starter before hagi injury and if we aren't attempting to fill both gaps that doesn't quite cut it for me considering what's at stake.

As Alex says though it balances itself out. I'd argue we deserved 6 points from the 2 draws against Motherwell and Hearts, however we didn't really deserve a point against Aberdeen at Home or the 3 points at dens park earlier in the season. The league table is about right as it stands.

I just don't buy that TBH.

Against Aberdeen we pass the ball to them in our own 18 yard box, Dundee and Motherwell at home were just sh*te stuttering performances that were pretty avoidable, unsure what relation they games have to other performances personally, it's just not how I view football TBF.

Yep exactly that for me. I was probably being conservative with the 8/9 points (was adding on an extra 4 for the two draws at home to Hearts and Motherwell, and possibly a point away to DU from when we lost). As you can see, I haven’t even accounted for the Aberdeen dropped points in either game. We really should be out of sight.

So, bearing in mind the exceptional nature of last season, your expectation for this season is that we should be better off at the same stage this season?

Should have beat Aberdeen twice and Hearts and Motherwell and got the draw with Dundee United instead of a defeat.

So we should have dropped only 2 points?
At the same stage last year we had only dropped 4 points.

I definitely agree that dropping eleven points at this stage is a bit too many for my liking (but not all that unusual for a title winning Rangers team) but if your expectation after 21 league games is that we should have only dropped 2 points then I have to wonder if this is your first season actually watching Rangers?

For me that’s extremely poor from the board if that’s the case
Same board that spaffed £40m against a wall bringing the league home?

The loans we receive annually to keep the lights on, now not only need repaid in full but there is interest.

Before, they were converted to equity - every loan we now have needs repaid the following season so we're probably talking at least ten million that wasn't there before that needs to be paid.

That being said, turning off the tap completely is never a good idea - yet another boom or bust Rangers side when it comes to transfers.

I, like others, am disappointed but let's be real here: this should not be a surprise to anyone at all. Lots of our supporters have deluded themselves into thinking we can overspend eternally - the board have been crystal clear on this.

I doubt we will hear anything today with the game being on but surely things will step up tomorrow and Friday

Really hope we have plan a, b and c in place because we need at least one player that can go straight into our team

I just don't buy that TBH.

Against Aberdeen we pass the ball to them in our own 18 yard box, Dundee and Motherwell at home were just sh*te stuttering performances that were pretty avoidable, unsure what relation they games have to other performances personally, it's just not how I view football TBF.

Its the old saying that the league table doesn't lie. We can moan about dropped points at home but at the same time Dundee fans will moan that they should have taken at least a point earlier in the season.

Celtic fans were moaning that we were lucky to beat Hibs at Easter Road as Porteous is a diddy whereas we moan they were lucky to get the extended injury time in Dingwall.
Our goal was scored within the timeframe for the game and within the rules. Theirs wasn’t.

Why? If a loan player comes in and has a good impact and helps us win the league it will be well worth it. The loan market also sometimes ( a lot of the time actually) allows you access to the services of a player that you would normally not be able to afford.
Agree with that.

But we could also get a Kamberi on loan again.

Yeah, but we've also had games where we've rode our luck to take points so it somewhat balances out.

People above are expecting perfection - that's just unreasonable.

I agree.

Yes, McGregor sold the jerseys against Hearts and we lost a bad goal to Motherwell, but Sakala's goal in that game was also offside.

You have to weigh up both sides of the argument.

I do think we should be a couple of points further ahead, but it's wrong to criticise the team, when our points total compares favourably to most league winning sides, at this stage of the season.

The fall out after a 1-1 draw at Pittodrie, has bordered on hysterical from some.
That place has historically been a tough place to win, for better Rangers teams than this.

I do still think we'll sign a right sided forward, (buy or loan) but equally important for me, is holding on to all our players and getting key ones like Helander, Davis, Jack, Arfield and Roofe, back to full physical and match fitness.

If we do that, we'll be out of sight by mid March.

134hrs left
I’ve refrained from the scaremongering but must admit I’m getting a bit concerned now.

The winter break being moved hasn’t helped but I’d really hoped we’d bring in some real quality to help us in this run of games.

You can choose to panic before 1st February - it's entirely your choice. Lack of noise/gossip from Rangers is something you can either wildly join in with or ignore and wait calmly.

Signing someone today is unlikely to see them start in the OF game - so today or midnight on deadline day isn't a big deal.

I'm choosing to wait until deadline for my own sanity.

Same board that spaffed £40m against a wall bringing the league home?

The loans we receive annually to keep the lights on, now not only need repaid in full but there is interest.

Before, they were converted to equity - every loan we now have needs repaid the following season so we're probably talking at least ten million that wasn't there before that needs to be paid.

That being said, turning off the tap completely is never a good idea - yet another boom or bust Rangers side when it comes to transfers.

I, like others, am disappointed but let's be real here: this should not be a surprise to anyone at all. Lots of our supporters have deluded themselves into thinking we can overspend eternally - the board have been crystal clear on this.
Time to move on mate, we won the league and now we are going another! If your happy living on last glory then fair enough but maybe the board could come out and say we won the league and our support to continue to pay for games we never got to, paying for RTV etc maybe it’s time they stepped up.

Also worth noting we did get 16 million for Paterson so why is that not reinvested

I’m sure if there was decent cash to be spent it would have been spent by now. If we were in for a quality RW, we wouldn’t (or at least shouldn’t) have been waiting until the last few days of the window to do it. We could have done with that quality RW away to Aberdeen.

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we do any decent business in this window.
Why does it means if we have cash we would have spent it already? What if the team selling needs to buy before selling? What if the player hasn’t agreed any terms yet? What if we need to sell before we buy? All of those scenarios are very likely.

This is the real world, not Fifa. Come back in Feb and wet your pants, you may look stupid! (Hopefully :)))

So, bearing in mind the exceptional nature of last season, your expectation for this season is that we should be better off at the same stage this season?

Should have beat Aberdeen twice and Hearts and Motherwell and got the draw with Dundee United instead of a defeat.

So we should have dropped only 2 points?
At the same stage last year we had only dropped 4 points.

I definitely agree that dropping eleven points at this stage is a bit too many for my liking (but not all that unusual for a title winning Rangers team) but if your expectation after 21 league games is that we should have only dropped 2 points then I have to wonder if this is your first season actually watching Rangers?
Where did I say we should have beaten Aberdeen twice? I literally explained where the extra 4/5 points come from in my view of where we should be.

Why does it means if we have cash we would have spent it already? What if the team selling needs to buy before selling? What if the player hasn’t agreed any terms yet? What if we need to sell before we buy? All of those scenarios are very likely.

This is the real world, not Fifa. Come back in Feb and wet your pants, you may look stupid! (Hopefully :)))
Yeah we’ll see how it goes, not confident we’ll do any decent business.

And as for selling before we buy, we’ve sold Patterson for a club record fee already.

Time to move on mate, we won the league and now we are going another! If your happy living on last glory then fair enough but maybe the board could come out and say we won the league and our support to continue to pay for games we never got to, paying for RTV etc maybe it’s time they stepped up.

Also worth noting we did get 16 million for Paterson so why is that not reinvested

"Time to move on" what are you talking about?

We lost £20m last year, sure, chances are that will improve this season.

Reducing losses does not result in being cash rich, we aren't talking about an overdraft facility or anything here.

During a 'normal' season with the wagebill as is & even with no transfer spend, we're £10m in the red unless there is CL football.

Virtually impossible to make a profit without it.

Again, the people who double count europa league money and assume we can increase losses to spend on the squad if we reduce them in other areas only have themselves to blame in terms of the disappointment we have now.

The potential for CL football next season does not create cash to spend in the here and now.

We deserve all we get if we lose this league I'm afraid.

I know we needed to plug gaps financially but after getting the guts of 16m for Patterson & Gerrard then the injury to Hagi if the only business we do is a loan that's just not good enough.

We needed a RW starter before hagi injury and if we aren't attempting to fill both gaps that doesn't quite cut it for me considering what's at stake.
So by that reasoning if we don't upgrade win the league , you will come on and admit you were wrong and going over the top about not making random signings in a window that very few clubs deal in.

Becasue apart from olsen who is a substantial fee aswell , what other players will improve out first team significantly aswell as be within our budget and available in January because I don't see options flying about , suppose we could sign second raters from Japan and pay upwards of 1million for lower league England players.

Any player who comes from an academy of the big teams in the EPL who end up up here and perform well, should always be closely monitored imo. People will always compare to Kamara and that has turned out to be an incredible deal and yeah we won't likely get that lucky again but these players are with these big EPL teams as a youngster for a reason.

Sometimes it takes them to be playing regular football at senior level for a season or two before they start to show that full potential. There is definitely bargains to be had.

So by that reasoning if we don't upgrade win the league , you will come on and admit you were wrong and going over the top about not making random signings in a window that very few clubs deal in.

Becasue apart from olsen who is a substantial fee aswell , what other players will improve out first team significantly aswell as be within our budget and available in January because I don't see options flying about , suppose we could sign second raters from Japan and pay upwards of 1million for lower league England players.
You aren't supposed to TBF, the football club pays people a salary to do that

Also how do people expect rangers to win every game and every draw/loss is a disaster.

Suppose bayern must be undefeated.
Ajax aswell

These teams win the league every year with draws and defeats with less competition for the title than we have , so top of the league couple of bad performances, I'd like a signing but it's not a disaster or sackable offence etc if not

Ifs, buts and maybes but in the coming weeks we are currently looking at adding Helander, Jack and Roofe to the team we had through December when we won all 6 games without conceding a single goal (including Easter Road and Tynecastle), and additionally adding Arfield and Aribo to the team who played at Aberdeen. You can add to that the additions of Sands and Itten.

We are currently looking at going into February and March far stronger than we were in December (even with the Hagi injury and Patterson sale). I’d still like to bring in a winger, but that perspective is important.

Yeah we’ll see how it goes, not confident we’ll do any decent business.

And as for selling before we buy, we’ve sold Patterson for a club record fee already.
Yeah but we also have a wage bill structure which is affected by the likes of Barker hanging around and contributing pretty much nothing…

I think I criticising the board for a loan move before we 1) know it even is that and 2) before we know the player is pretty mental in my opinion.
January is a notoriously shite market, clubs don’t want to lose their best players and if they do, you pay over the odds as the selling team knows they’ll need to pay over the odds to replace said player. You could end up paying £2/3m for a Grezda impact type signing or you could look at higher profile clubs out of favour players and try and structure a decent loan or loan to buy.

Admit I'm wrong about what? I've not said we're going to lose the league.

I said we have ourselves to blame if we do, we're currently leaving this window weaker than we entered it. Is that right or wrong?

And I'm no scout I'm sure there is wingers a plenty out there that none of us have even heard of.

For me that’s extremely poor from the board if that’s the case

That's mental mate.
You can't make rash statements like that, without knowing the facts.

Don't you think that it depends on who the loan option is?

What if the players we are trying to buy are being overvalued by their selling clubs and don't represent good value for us?

What would you rather have?
Moving further down the market and buying a player who won't necessarily improve us, or a quality loan option, that'll strengthen our team and help us win the league?

It's not as if our squad is full of loan signings either.
The exact opposite, in fact.

Look at the scum.

One of the reasons they are just clinging on to our coat tails and no more, is because Jota and Carter Vickers have proved to be decent loan signings for them.

Maybe better keeping your powder dry, until the window closes mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back