The word Hun

Sir Sasa Papac

It seems obvious that the Celtic driven media are positioning for the upcoming hate crime laws and intend to go in full pelt that Irish are a race giving them further fuel for the fire of victimhood. It’s a setup

Rangers should right now be publicly highlighting the hypocracy in how the word hun is received and especially how those using it are able to dismiss accusations of sectarianism themselves and carry on under the guise that it is “just offensive.”

It’s still tolerated on some message boards, comment pages, and obviously on tweets and Facebook messages and also in wider society.

If they won’t acknowledge its sectarian undertones ask them does that mean it’s still acceptable to lead with a slur in modern society when describing (any) group of people? They can’t possibly condone any offensive language SO MAKE THEM PUBLICLY SAY SO!

We have lost the first round of this battle. They backed us into a corner. But we can’t really be pushed back any further, there’s nowhere left to push us. We know they are just as bad and are getting away with murder due largely to our board not SPECIFICALLY calling out offensive behaviour and using what lackiesnwe have in the media to push this narrative.

The sing openly about huns. Let’s turn it on them. Let us be ones filming them singing sectarian songs and let’s us highlight it as sectarian and unacceptable. Once it’s been publicly acknowledged it’s a banned term the media have zero choice but to condone it.

We should note that the use of the word is widespread in Scottish society from young to old, Celtic to nationalist, and ask them even if they don’t consider it sectarian, are we to assume it is therefore acceptable. It’s a disgusting slur regardless which of the many definitions you pretend to use. Make the media admit it’s a slur and we don’t need to battle the is it sectarian argument (which we not win as long as we are the bad guys) any longer.

Draw these bastards out of the grey area they live in and confront them head on. Do you condone rangers fans being called huns on social media and if not will you confront it when it happens.

If Rangers won’t do where the %^*& are club 1872 or any of our other representatives in drawing attention to this?

Remember the German Celtic fan claimed he didn’t know what the words he was singing meant? Case dismissed.

Tím slashes a waiter at a UCL match, tried & jailed abroad - lifelong, court enforced anonymity.

The word hun is sectarian. There’s absolutely no dubiety about that. People have been convicted of religiously aggravated offences for using it.

And if it meant “Rangers fan”, why do they insist on using it when, to them, Rangers no longer exist?
Correct . I’ve got the excerpt from the governments own website confirming it but I cannot work out how to post pictures on here .it’s a myth that it’s not sectarian , they are clinging onto using it and circling the wagons just now as they love dehumanising us and it’s a key part of that .

If someone can direct me how to post an image I’ll post the part that specifically mentions Hun

The word hun is sectarian. There’s absolutely no dubiety about that. People have been convicted of religiously aggravated offences for using it.

And if it meant “Rangers fan”, why do they insist on using it when, to them, Rangers no longer exist?
I know that. You know that. But we can’t force the media to print that.

My point is the get out is “it’s not sectarian” implying that offensive derogatory language is acceptable as long as it’s not an ism.

What we can do without any shadow of a doubt is make them admit that it is a slur. It’s an insult generalising one set of people

Once it’s acknowledged it’s unacceptbale THEN we can start pulling people up for using it and accusing them of the sectarianism they are guilty of.

Pisses me off seeing Rangers fans referring to themselves as that word.

Completely ignorant and even worse is when they justify it - "aye well, my pal is one of them, I call him a tim and it's all banter and that" etc.

Fùck off, it's not banter, and you can guarantee that they are not saying it as a term of endearment - especially when you're not around.

Been chucked off a couple of Rangers pages on Facebook for pointing this out. I really fùcking despair with some of our support.

Your onto a loser with this one while we’ve still got Rangers fans describing themselves as huns.
Rubbish. Enough Celtic fans describe themselves as 19th Century Terrorists and that’s still banned. They can even put in on a t shirt or a stadium sized banner with 19th Century Terrorist army written in bold typeface and still greet if someone calls them it

Your onto a loser with this one while we’ve still got Rangers fans describing themselves as huns.

You can buy CeItic mp3s on iTunes of CeItic fans singing songs referring to themselves as being Pat McCourt’s 19th Century Terrorist Army

The real issue is there's no appetite to prosecute scum fans for bigotry when they're caught doing it

How many times have you seen charges lessened to breach of the peace, and no banning orders? It's PS and the PF not doing their jobs that's the problem

I know that. You know that. But we can’t force the media to print that.

My point is the get out is “it’s not sectarian” implying that offensive derogatory language is acceptable as long as it’s not an ism.

What we can do without any shadow of a doubt is make them admit that it is a slur. It’s an insult generalising one set of people

Once it’s acknowledged it’s unacceptbale THEN we can start pulling people up for using it and accusing them of the sectarianism they are guilty of.
It’s on the yougov website mate . Nothing needs proven , it IS sectarian .

Link above but the important part here -“The motivation behind many sectarian incidents cannot always be easily attributed. Terms originating from sectarian antipathy have degenerated into common terms of abuse, and have been associated with violence and threat. Calling someone a “19th Century Terrorist” or “Hun” can, in some contexts, denote a perception around political affiliation, national and/or religious identity. We believe that it is important that any legal definition of sectarianism extends to cover this complexity and inter-sectional challenge. But it should do so without diminishing the importance of anti-Catholicism, anti-Protestantism, anti-Irish racism or anti-British racism, as well as the use of cultural and social signifiers commonly used to identify membership or perceived membership of these groups.”

One of the guys I watched the Aberdeen game with came in wearing a facemask that said "hun" across it, can't get my head around that at all.

It’s on the yougov website mate . Nothing needs proven , it IS sectarian .

But yet wider society doesn’t give a shit and it’s openly used.

Its a slur, most are using it as a slang for Protestants/Unionists but not all. For example I know an Aberdeen fan who uses it due to one of the two other definitions. He’s a church going Protestant

But yet wider society doesn’t give a shit and it’s openly used.

Its a slur, most are using it as a slang for Protestants/Unionists but not all. For example I know an Aberdeen fan who uses it due to one of the two other definitions. He’s a church going Protestant
It doesn’t matter if he’s the Queen of Sheba . If he’s using it and someone reports it he will be treated the same as anyone else . If it’s in work , report him . If it’s on Twitter , report him. Facebook , report . Don’t moan on FF . That’s all we’ve done for twenty years which is part of the reason we are where we are .

If it meant Rangers fan, they'd not call Hearts the diet Huns, or Linfield the NI huns. We all know what it means, they know what it means but they've got this knack of managing to set narratives in this country.
And THAT is what needs challenged, These people hide in the grey area because they don’t have an Angela Hagerty in the press, a Paul Sweeney in politics or a friendly Editor in the media to draw attention and raise the profile of the sectarianism/bigotry/othering we receive as a fan base.

If rangers publicly tweet to STV asking why their comment pages are full of references to huns then there will be no hiding. It’s a straight question and the answer coming back is certainly not going to be “STV condones all offensive behaviour as long as it’s not about Catholics”. On the contrary they will denounce it and commit to tackling it. They HAVE to even if they don’t want to.

Imagine 5 years down the line we all dig out that tweet where stv condoned offensive behaviour. All media know this and will have one eye on the future for the comments they make today. All offensive behaviour however petty is seemingly on the way out.

It doesn’t matter if he’s the Queen of Sheba . If he’s using it and someone reports it he will be treated the same as anyone else . If it’s in work , report him . If it’s on Twitter , report him. Facebook , report . Don’t moan on FF . That’s all we’ve done for twenty years which is part of the reason we are where we are .
Aye alright mate we’ll just carry on as is should we. Things are brilliant the now and the sectarian terminology about rangers fans is diminishing. Eh, naw it isn’t.

No seen the word feniwn online in years and Hun pops up every second reply to rangers official tweets. Aye it’s going great

I’ve reported plenty of tweets with the world hun and none of them have ever been removed. It’s currently an acceptable terms to the media and the media sets the societal narrative of acceptable behaviour.

It's not a debate. They call Hearts huns, mini huns etc. Hibs call them it too. People are pretending there is dubiety over how it is used and there isn't.

Aye alright mate we’ll just carry on as is should we. Things are brilliant the now and the sectarian terminology about rangers fans is diminishing. Eh, naw it isn’t.

No seen the word feniwn online in years and Hun pops up every second reply to rangers official tweets. Aye it’s going great

I’ve reported plenty of tweets with the world hun and none of them have ever been removed. It’s currently an acceptable terms to the media and the media sets the societal narrative of acceptable behaviour.
Youre a mile off . That’s not near what I’ve said .I’ve reported loads of tweets and comments on Facebook and they have been removed . Perhaps you give up after the automated reply .It’s so easy to just say “ it’s acceptable , there’s nothing we can do bears “ . Nonsense . A lazy , lazy attitude . It is sectarian , it is hate speech , it is actionable when reported . I’ve seen people get final written warnings in work for using it .

It seems obvious that the Celtic driven media are positioning for the upcoming hate crime laws and intend to go in full pelt that Irish are a race giving them further fuel for the fire of victimhood. It’s a setup

Rangers should right now be publicly highlighting the hypocracy in how the word hun is received and especially how those using it are able to dismiss accusations of sectarianism themselves and carry on under the guise that it is “just offensive.”

It’s still tolerated on some message boards, comment pages, and obviously on tweets and Facebook messages and also in wider society.

If they won’t acknowledge its sectarian undertones ask them does that mean it’s still acceptable to lead with a slur in modern society when describing (any) group of people? They can’t possibly condone any offensive language SO MAKE THEM PUBLICLY SAY SO!

We have lost the first round of this battle. They backed us into a corner. But we can’t really be pushed back any further, there’s nowhere left to push us. We know they are just as bad and are getting away with murder due largely to our board not SPECIFICALLY calling out offensive behaviour and using what lackiesnwe have in the media to push this narrative.

The sing openly about huns. Let’s turn it on them. Let us be ones filming them singing sectarian songs and let’s us highlight it as sectarian and unacceptable. Once it’s been publicly acknowledged it’s a banned term the media have zero choice but to condone it.

We should note that the use of the word is widespread in Scottish society from young to old, Celtic to nationalist, and ask them even if they don’t consider it sectarian, are we to assume it is therefore acceptable. It’s a disgusting slur regardless which of the many definitions you pretend to use. Make the media admit it’s a slur and we don’t need to battle the is it sectarian argument (which we not win as long as we are the bad guys) any longer.

Draw these bastards out of the grey area they live in and confront them head on. Do you condone rangers fans being called huns on social media and if not will you confront it when it happens.

If Rangers won’t do where the %^*& are club 1872 or any of our other representatives in drawing attention to this?
i agree. i also think we need to start coordinating our response s and messages. they do it. they all use the same language and through this they create a narrative about us . do we need a set of clear rebuttal lines that we can all use on twitter and in conversations that set out our side of the story?

It's not a debate. They call Hearts huns, mini huns etc. Hibs call them it too. People are pretending there is dubiety over how it is used and there isn't.
Look at the definition above on the Scottish website and note the term “in some contexts” and explain to me how that is not the very definition of dubiety?

These so called contexts are not in any way defined properly and therein lies the dubiety.

Note how the terms fnian and Hun are both described as such but I’m yet to hear any media outlet question the dubiety when someone is called a fnian.

Calling someone a “19th Century Terrorist” or “Hun” can, in some contexts, denote a perception around political affiliation, national and/or religious identity. We believe that it is important that any legal definition of sectarianism extends to cover this complexity and inter-sectional challenge. But it should do so without diminishing the importance of anti-Catholicism, anti-Protestantism, anti-Irish racism or anti-British racism, as well as the use of cultural and social signifiers commonly used to identify membership or perceived membership of these groups.”

That point is a really good way of arguing this

Has anyone applied for some stats regarding the convictions to date for using the word Hun v 19th Century Terrorist?

Or anti british over anti irish cases in Scottish law.

Reactions: dmg
Youre a mile off . That’s not near what I’ve said .I’ve reported loads of tweets and comments on Facebook and they have been removed . Perhaps you give up after the automated reply .It’s so easy to just say “ it’s acceptable , there’s nothing we can do bears “ . Nonsense . A lazy , lazy attitude . It is sectarian , it is hate speech , it is actionable when reported . I’ve seen people get final written warnings in work for using it .
Of course I give up after the first stage. I’ve got a life I’m not an activist.
We shouldn’t need to jump through hoops and submit multiple reports for comments.

Just seen that ‘Hun’ was trending on Twitter. So explain that to me if the term is banned?

I think the main problem is that deep down no Rangers supporter is actually offended at all by being called one.
I know no one will admit it on here but that’s the uncomfortable truth.

It’s a construct to give us leverage in the argument about what we get to call them.

Of course I give up after the first stage. I’ve got a life I’m not an activist.
We shouldn’t need to jump through hoops and submit multiple reports for comments.
Two more clicks to appeal and it gets removed . I’m no activist either . It takes a minute of your time .

Spot on.

Let’s be real as well - we have to squash the use of the F word and the other words that are anti-catholic (even if in your own mind you consider them something political).

We always give them the knife to stab into ourselves. Stop doing that, stop singing the BB (which has disappeared from Ibrox) and they’ll be left swiping at thin air.

The crowds and violence are nothing to do with the Club, but we need to stop taking these hits and allowing ourselves to be defined as the baddies - it makes us too easy a target.

If it meant Rangers fan, they'd not call Hearts the diet Huns, or Linfield the NI huns. We all know what it means, they know what it means but they've got this knack of managing to set narratives in this country.
another very good point

I think the main problem is that deep down no Rangers supporter is actually offended at all by being called one.

It’s a construct to give us leverage in the argument about what we get to call them.
Nonsense . I am , and no self respecting bear likes being called a “ Hun” . Your attitude is part of the problem my friend .

Look at the verminous republican areas of Ulster. Walls adorned with Kill all Huns. They are not talking about Kill all Rangers fans. They're talking kill all prods. That's sectarian, that kind of blows out of the water, the argument in Scotland, that it means Rangers fan. It doesn't. We know it, they know it, and Humza Useless knows it. Rodent.

Two more clicks to appeal and it gets removed . I’m no activist either . It takes a minute of your time .
Mate it was trending on Twitter. You understand that means there were so many references to it that it was being recommended as a search.
Aye I’ll just sit for a day reporting single posts 3 times and I’ll do that hundred times a day. Then I’ll start again the next day. And the next

The day the word 19th Century Terrorist is trending we’ll do it your way but your way seems to just be “carry on”.

It’s not working, wise up

You need to put power behind the word Hun. the word Honkie isn't treated the same as the N word because there is more power behind the N word. The word Hun needs to be linked to assaults,murders,burning of orange halls,division,hatred,the troubles in Northern Ireland otherwise it's just a word.

I dont get Rangers fans calling themselves Huns. However, the argument that because some call themselves it doesnt make it offensive is nonsense.
Feni@n is deemed offensive yet scum suppirters call themselves one , sing songs referring to them being one and have flags with the term emblazoned on them. If it offensive and anti catholic why are these people arrested?
The point being, doesnt matter how we refer to ourselves, if we find it offensive to be called something by others then it's offensive. Precedent has been set with the N word. Black people refer to themselves and each other by it but if a white person uses it then thats racist. Thats fine and if Black people are offended by it then that is what matters. The same argument can be used for Hun. Being offended isnt selective, its how the group targeted feel. We as a community need to call it out all the time and get Hun termed as a sectarian slur

Mate it was trending on Twitter. You understand that means there were so many references to it that it was being recommended as a search.
Aye I’ll just sit for a day reporting single posts 3 times and I’ll do that hundred times a day. Then I’ll start again the next day. And the next

The day the word 19th Century Terrorist is trending we’ll do it your way but your way seems to just be “carry on”.

It’s not working, wise up
I don’t go looking for it but I report where I see it when I can . If we all done that instead of coming on here crying and “ ach it’s not working “ we wouldn’t be where we are . You are the one who needs to “ wise up “.

You need to put power behind the word Hun. the word Honkie isn't treated the same as the N word because there is more power behind the N word. The word Hun needs to be linked to assaults,murders,burning of orange halls,division,hatred,the troubles in Northern Ireland otherwise it's just a word.
Exactly, and the way to do that is pressure those condoning it publicly.

As sad as it is you can get anything done if you publicly bully companies and people into revealing their true opinions. Often such opinions are unpalatable and you end up getting the response you want.

Ive got no doubt the staff of STV think it’s harmless, but does the Editor think strongly enough to put out a tweet? Somehow, in 2021, I doubt it.

I dont get Rangers fans calling themselves Huns. However, the argument that because some call themselves it doesnt make it offensive is nonsense.
Feni@n is deemed offensive yet scum suppirters call themselves one , sing songs referring to them being one and have flags with the term emblazoned on them. If it offensive and anti catholic why are these people arrested?
The point being, doesnt matter how we refer to ourselves, if we find it offensive to be called something by others then it's offensive. Precedent has been set with the N word. Black people refer to themselves and each other by it but if a white person uses it then thats racist. Thats fine and if Black people are offended by it then that is what matters. The same argument can be used for Hun. Being offended isnt selective, its how the group targeted feel. We as a community need to call it out all the time and get Hun termed as a sectarian slur
It already is a sectarian slur . It’s on the scotgov website ffs . How many times .

Because the Jimmy Krankie tribute act and Humza the henchman are setting the agenda of “Rangers bad, anything else completely acceptable“ we will continue to see anything other than anti-Catholic sectarianism promoted as just banter or the craic.

I’m personally seeing more and more “KAH” graffiti all over the place which is a worrying trend yet there’s zero condemnation from the agenda ridden Nazis.

No form of prejudice is acceptable, condemn the lot or your part of the problem!

I don’t go looking for it but I report where I see it when I can . If we all done that instead of doing on here crying and “ ach it’s not working “ we wouldn’t be where we are . You are the one who needs to “ wise up “.
Are you referring to me crying? I’ve started a post stating the current approach is not working and to try and get the club and people like you to change your shoulder shrugging attitude and get proactive in calling this shite out. Publicly, not in 3 reports on a single tweet.

I’m not the one who almost seems impressed with himself that boasting about he can occasionally get Hun posts remove if you sit and complain 2 or 3 times. You wire in buddy sounds like your making a proper dent

I’m offended by it and always have been. My father and grandfather fought the Hun and kept our country free.

We should get a petition started to get the word 'hun' outlawed and a criminal offence to call or say anyone is a hun. We all know what they mean when they use it.

Countless times they say it without anything done. Shoe was on the other foot and we called them the F word then all hell would break loose. I have heard Hearts fans calling people, mainly Rangers fans huns, as well as the usual teams and unionists as well. Its a derogatory term for what people perceive as a protestant.

I would sign it and I am sure many other would.

Are you referring to me crying? I’ve started a post stating the current approach is not working and to try and get the club and people like you to change your shoulder shrugging attitude and get proactive in calling this shite out. Publicly, not in 3 reports on a single tweet.

I’m not the one who almost seems impressed with himself that boasting about he can occasionally get Hun posts remove if you sit and complain how the, long enough. You wire in buddy sounds like your making a proper dent
I’m referring to the number of posts I’ve seen over the years complaining about being called a “ Hun “ but not using the law and reporting it . People want it done FOR them . Sit back and wait then can’t understand why it’s still used against us .
The fact is it is sectarian , it’s classed as sectarian , people have been charged with sectarian BOP for using it , people have been sacked for using it , and social media does remove it when challenged . If you deem that I’m referring to you as people who come on here crying snd not doing anything then that’s on you , I don’t know what you’ve done or haven’t done regarding it .

I think some are offended but get where your coming from. We need something to start the fight back and the term hun is easily identifiable.
The other side is making sure we don't set ourselves up by the continued use of 19th Century Terrorist, poet, mentally challengeds etc. Then we would still be the target.

Back