The word Hun

Perhaps a wee stage of playing them at their own offended game might be in order for a period, ie: telling them that one is offended by being called a hun, everytime the word is used. Reporting it to the anti-sectarian charities every time it’s used, reporting it to social media channels every time it’s used. Reporting it to your local MSP and MP everytime it’s used. Reporting it to a police officer every time it’s used.

They are emboldened by their own offended-ness, they wear it as a badge of honour as well as the words they are offended by. Perhaps if we play the same game then we might start to get some results in society, then we will see for certain the two tier policies and policing and governance in this country and then we can show the world that we live in a dictatorship rather than a free thinking, free voting, free living democracy.
We should have been doing this twenty years ago . It’s not too late if everyone gets involved . If we don’t do our bit , things will remain the same

TIN HAT Firmly on
Whilst I'd never refer to myself or my fellow Rangers supporting brethren as Huns - I'm still nevertheless not particularly offended by the term

For one thing it's not that long ago that we used that term to call them
I wish I had a penny for all the times I sang 'Go home ya huns' at their support
So like most things that lot get involved in they stole this in the first place

Another thing is that huns - as in Atilla & his ilk were from Central Asia, Caucasus & eastern Europe - nowhere near modern day Germany
The allied troops used the term to describe Hitler's forces but it was geographically inaccurate - not that I'd criticise the use of the term in that instance
None of that stopped one of timmy's finest trying to tell me that the huns originated from Hanoverian descent & with their obvious links to protestantism using huns to descibe us was valid
They never did know their history

I don't actually have a problem with us calling each other huns - although I've never heard anyone ever do it
To me it's like using the 'N' word - which is totally unacceptable in any normal circumstance - but just as so many black music artists & street talk americanism (such as every other word in the Wire dialogue) it doesn't lessen the offence meant by those using it in a derogatory way & even strengthens those using it among themselves

I do have enormous trouble with it being pretty much illegal to use the 'F' word but huns isn't considered offensive ? It's just as derogatory imo

Quite frankly they can call me anything they feel like - I know what / who I am & I also know who they are -
The title used by them is imo of no real consequence to me -
What isn't acceptable is that I can be prosecuted & even jailed when I use a term that the Irish Government emblazoned on commemorative postage stamps - yet they can manufacture a poorly conceived term & use it with impunity

Many won't like this, but we have sleepwalked into this situation and it didn't start at the weekend.
For years I've been making complaints about this and other things. I sometimes posted them on here, looking for support and to encourage others to do the same.
Some did but in the main IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.
I still complain, but I don't post them on here. I found it distracting, defending the fact I had made a complaint instead of the content of it.
"Mope" was a favourite, "don't turn into one of them" "leave the whinging to them" " worse than a tarrier" "Man up FFS"
We need to get out of this idiotic "Everybody hates us and we don't care" mindset, because
1. It's moronic, and
2. It's manifestly untrue.
3. Look where it's got us.
Sorry to say it, but we have sat back and done little to stop this happening.
That has to change. We have to cultivate influence and use it.
We also have to stop doing stuff that annoys the very people we need to support us.

Have a look online or send a FOI request to Police Scotland for the content of their hate crimes course.

I don't believe you'll find the word HUN anywhere.

I was sat at a pool in a very nice hotel in Ibiza with a few years ago wearing Rangers shorts. One of them came down with the obligatory Celtic towel and sat down beside me and my mrs, his girlfriend and a couple of others joined him who were all bears (tattoos, shorts and towels gave it away) Within 5 mins he was speaking loudly into his phone that he was "surrounded by fucking huns" I said excuse me, he looked over and I told him if he ever called me that again I'd drag him into the pool and drown him.

I don't normally get annoyed by name calling but that really pissed me off

A few years back at my daughters Christening I'm stood at the bar with two friends, they are brothers, one is Rangers the other is Motherwell.

The bitter old mentally challenged across the way in the public bar, in full knowledge of this, shouts out "It's the three huns". He got dogs abuse but that to me was proof in the pudding that it is a term they use to describe protestants, not just Rangers fans or even just protestant Rangers fans.

A few years back at my daughters Christening I'm stood at the bar with two friends, they are brothers, one is Rangers the other is Motherwell.

The bitter old mentally challenged across the way in the public bar, in full knowledge of this, shouts out "It's the three huns". He got dogs abuse but that to me was proof in the pudding that it is a term they use to describe protestants, not just Rangers fans or even just protestant Rangers fans.
The dogs in the street know it means Protestant mate . Certainly in Northern Ireland and the west of Scotland . It’s a demeaning , derogatory sectarian term for a Protestant . End of . You know it , I know it , everybody knows it .

The Hun word was a general slur for many years, especially after the war - it could be the equivalent of scum or bawbag today.
If the driver of a bus took off from a stop as youre running to catch his bus, he was a lousy hun.
If a crowd of youths were making a racket, you would refer to them as a noisy bunch of huns.
Both sets of OF supporters had their songs and chants about the other side bring huns but as we moved into the 80's the general use of hun diminished and the Rangers fans use of the word went the same way - apart from one particular song about the Queen's Highway.
I'm in my 60's and I cannot remember being called a Hun by other teams supporters until the fanzine phenomenon of the late 80's.
This Hun term was picked up by other teams fans directly from the many Celtic fanzines at the time as they had continued to use the term as a means to describe Protestants/teams with largely Protestant support that always meant Rangers/Rangers fans were continually singled out as Huns.
So the difficulty in equating Feenian with Hun lies in the modern application of the word.
Any Celtic fan (from those in the highest positions in society to the bottom feeders) know what the word means when they use it but plead it's football based/banter due to the reason above.

Last edited:
The Police in Scotland as well as the governmet could have had a quick look across the Irish Sea how things are treated there, and in all fairnis, much of the anguish comes from there, as people will acknowledge.

The Police Force of Northern Ireland who ha to deal with this stuff since before the dawn of time have a Guide for Appropriate Language that clearly states what is acceptable and/or what refers to what. The current PDF file is from 2013, but it is clear enough.

Scotland`s problem is the hypocritical political leaders who constantly work their agendas and twisted and warped the words` meanings as they see fit. It is pure and heinous propaganda clad with the mantle of "Independence" or the like, drawing on the Scottish mindset of the Scottish people but ladden with sectarian and nationalistic ideas that would be chased till kingdom comes over here.

It seems obvious that the Celtic driven media are positioning for the upcoming hate crime laws and intend to go in full pelt that Irish are a race giving them further fuel for the fire of victimhood. It’s a setup

Rangers should right now be publicly highlighting the hypocracy in how the word hun is received and especially how those using it are able to dismiss accusations of sectarianism themselves and carry on under the guise that it is “just offensive.”

It’s still tolerated on some message boards, comment pages, and obviously on tweets and Facebook messages and also in wider society.

If they won’t acknowledge its sectarian undertones ask them does that mean it’s still acceptable to lead with a slur in modern society when describing (any) group of people? They can’t possibly condone any offensive language SO MAKE THEM PUBLICLY SAY SO!

We have lost the first round of this battle. They backed us into a corner. But we can’t really be pushed back any further, there’s nowhere left to push us. We know they are just as bad and are getting away with murder due largely to our board not SPECIFICALLY calling out offensive behaviour and using what lackiesnwe have in the media to push this narrative.

The sing openly about huns. Let’s turn it on them. Let us be ones filming them singing sectarian songs and let’s us highlight it as sectarian and unacceptable. Once it’s been publicly acknowledged it’s a banned term the media have zero choice but to condone it.

We should note that the use of the word is widespread in Scottish society from young to old, Celtic to nationalist, and ask them even if they don’t consider it sectarian, are we to assume it is therefore acceptable. It’s a disgusting slur regardless which of the many definitions you pretend to use. Make the media admit it’s a slur and we don’t need to battle the is it sectarian argument (which we not win as long as we are the bad guys) any longer.

Draw these bastards out of the grey area they live in and confront them head on. Do you condone rangers fans being called huns on social media and if not will you confront it when it happens.

If Rangers won’t do where the %^*& are club 1872 or any of our other representatives in drawing attention to this?
Great post, I dont mind being called anything as sticks and stones, as long as i can give it back. What I do object to is the laundry list of terms which are deemed sectarian in Scotland today, it's exclusively one way.

If Timmy doesnt want to be called any one of a raft of names and has the force of law to support him/her/it, I expect equality before the law.

Call me a Hun to my face and you’ll be eating your words. Possibly once you’ve got off your back.

Until this country's ready for an adult conversation on sectarianism and the money that’s generated by it, we’ll go round in circles.

Yes, the demand for sectarianism vastly exceeds supply.

Your onto a loser with this one while we’ve still got Rangers fans describing themselves as huns.

The Green Brigade regard themselves as 19th Century Terrorists, and I’m sure had a banner talking about not beating the 19th Century Terrorist army.

Even if bears do call themselves huns, which loses me personally, what’s the difference ?

If this generation of Rangers fan doesn’t stand up and take a stance then your children and grandchildren will live in a society where they are openly racially abused.
This is what drives me .

Are we wanting to allow our kids to grow up hearing “ oh ye a Hun aye ?” In school, work , socially maybe even affecting employment chances ? . While we teach our kids to be respectful to all faiths and backgrounds . Enough is enough

Many won't like this, but we have sleepwalked into this situation and it didn't start at the weekend.
For years I've been making complaints about this and other things. I sometimes posted them on here, looking for support and to encourage others to do the same.
I still complain, but I don't post them on here. I found it distracting, defending the fact I had made a complaint instead of the content of it.
"Mope" was a favourite, "don't turn into one of them" "leave the whinging to them" " worse than a tarrier" "Man up FFS"
We need to get out of this idiotic "Everybody hates us and we don't care" mindset, because
1. It's moronic, and
We also have to stop doing stuff that annoys the very people we need to support us.
You still see it right now.

It's just words, snow flakes, stop the world I want off etc. Just outright refusal to accept that is the world now and there is no amount of wishing it to go away will make it go away.

You're entirely correct. Our refusal to play the game and allow them to get lightyears ahead is our own fault.

Nonsense . I am , and no self respecting bear likes being called a “ Hun” . Your attitude is part of the problem my friend .
they are not offended by being called 19th Century Terrorists either.. they just pretend that they are to get us in bother.

the same approach needs to be used

This is what drives me .

Are we wanting to allow our kids to grow up hearing “ oh ye a Hun aye ?” In school, work , socially maybe even affecting employment chances ? . While we teach our kids to be respectful to all faiths and backgrounds . Enough is enough

100pc. Ive sat in the company of strangers, many times, in reasonably polite company and Timmy bands the "H" word about without knowledge or care as to the background of others in the room or table, all of whom are in earshot.

100pc. Ive sat in the company of strangers, many times, in reasonably polite company and Timmy bands the "H" word about without knowledge or care as to the background of others in the room or table, all of whom are in earshot.
It’s an exact example of it being on us to knock that on the head . You don’t need to go mental , a brief “ you want to cut the Hun stuff out “ will normally suffice . If you get a stunned “ how ?” Just say it’s derogatory and I don’t like it . 99% of people will leave it there . They might bitch about you later but they’ll think twice about using it in company again . People are so timid these days nobody is asking people to start a rammy or even fall out with people . Be polite but firm

Perhaps there also needs to be a bit of a look into the word Protestant as it seems to mean a lot of stuff to a lot of people.

to me it means a presbyterIan ChristIan. I’m not Christian so I don’t know if I refer to myself as a Protestant or not.

some people think it means unionist Rangers fan, some folks think it means something about Northern Ireland. Is it a faith, is it a culture?

the word Hun I’ve seen used as a slur in NI for Protestant people, so Im sure if your heritage is that you have every right to be upset with that word and if it is deemed sectarian it shouldn’t be banded about as freely as it is

words change meaning over the years, Gay for instance very rarely means happy these days, A P*** doesn’t mean someone from Pakistan like a Scot is someone from Scotland anymore as it’s been deemed a slur and it’s understandable. Perhaps there needs to be set in stone and no dubiety what the word Hun and for that matter 19th Century Terrorist means these days. If they are slurs then they should be cut out and folks would have every right to be upset

I'm guessing the recent heavy use of the terms anti-Irish and anti-Catholic bigotry instead of Sectarian is to move away from any association that it might be a two way street? Seems like to them saying Sectarian is almost an acknowledgement that it exists in both directions, so they are now refusing to use this term to make sure everyone knows which direction the offence is pointing.

If that is the case then I don't think it's ridiculous to ask why it wouldn't work the other way (aside from obvious agendas). Why are things like the huge amounts of graffiti sprayed saying "Kill All Huns" etc just passed off as banter and not indicative of an anti-Protestant culture within certain parts of the city. Was there not a huge one sprayed near Ibrox recently? I only learned today that the government have actually already classified hun as a sectarian term so it's really telling that they've decided only one end of the spectrum needed reclassified as immediately actionable hate speech

I'm guessing the recent heavy use of the terms anti-Irish and anti-Catholic bigotry instead of Sectarian is to move away from any association that it might be a two way street? Seems like to them saying Sectarian is almost an acknowledgement that it exists in both directions, so they are now refusing to use this term to make sure everyone knows which direction the offence is pointing.

If that is the case then I don't think it's ridiculous to ask why it wouldn't work the other way (aside from obvious agendas). Why are things like the huge amounts of graffiti sprayed saying "Kill All Huns" etc just passed off as banter and not indicative of an anti-Protestant culture within certain parts of the city. Was there not a huge one sprayed near Ibrox recently? I only learned today that the government have actually already classified hun as a sectarian term so it's really telling that they've decided only one end of the spectrum needed reclassified as immediately actionable hate speech
That's how I see it. I'm sure in their minds that if you get rid of one half of the equation the whole issue goes away and they don't have to address the bigotry on their side as there is no one for them to be bigoted towards. Even if that was a winning strategy, it fails on the simple human level that we tend to dislike things that are not the same as ourselves so even if we were to go away, step forward the next poor souls, the British or English for example. They are already ostracising those communities, silly me.

Mate it was trending on Twitter. You understand that means there were so many references to it that it was being recommended as a search.
Aye I’ll just sit for a day reporting single posts 3 times and I’ll do that hundred times a day. Then I’ll start again the next day. And the next

The day the word 19th Century Terrorist is trending we’ll do it your way but your way seems to just be “carry on”.

It’s not working, wise up
There's a degree of editorialising that goes on with Twitter's "trending" topics as well. It's not entirely random. I'm not sure if they push certain topics up, but I think they can certainly remove certain topics so they don't trend. So if "hun" was up there for a whole day, as I've seen some say, it means it's because Twitter was OK with it being there.

Yes, this is what's happening. We'll start hearing complaints about "bothsidesism" in the press. Every attempt to draw a comparison will be called "false equivalence."

We need to get familiar with all these little linguistic games that activists play in online discussions and we need to push back.

Hate speech laws are a trap, and I say this as somebody who once thought they were obviously a necessary thing. Who gets to define what speech is hateful? In a country where one party has a stranglehold on political power, this is a really dangerous tool to give demagogues like the SNP leadership.

It’s an exact example of it being on us to knock that on the head . You don’t need to go mental , a brief “ you want to cut the Hun stuff out “ will normally suffice . If you get a stunned “ how ?” Just say it’s derogatory and I don’t like it . 99% of people will leave it there . They might bitch about you later but they’ll think twice about using it in company again . People are so timid these days nobody is asking people to start a rammy or even fall out with people . Be polite but firm

Yeah agreed mate, I know talk is cheap and everyone is Canelo Alvarez when anonymous behind a keyboard (in their mum's basement) but I'd cross the road to get into a fight and when I do hear such things, I (verbally) chin the sayer, and its never had to go beyond that.

I should have added that to my original post.

Call me a Hun to my face and you’ll be eating your words. Possibly once you’ve got off your back.

Until this country's ready for an adult conversation on sectarianism and the money that’s generated by it, we’ll go round in circles.
Correct, anyone calls me this to my face will end up with a sore face. Simple as that

We dont play the victim card enough, unless its after incidents like George Sq.

We need to start a tit for tat mentality with it and start calling out everything and anything “offensive”.

The problem is they rarely do, very happy to spout their sectarianism online but wouldn’t dare face to face.
It’s becoming more prevalent , you hear it plenty . People tend to ignore it or bite their tongue . It needs challenged .

Yes, this is what's happening. We'll start hearing complaints about "bothsidesism" in the press. Every attempt to draw a comparison will be called "false equivalence."

We need to get familiar with all these little linguistic games that activists play in online discussions and we need to push back.

Hate speech laws are a trap, and I say this as somebody who once thought they were obviously a necessary thing. Who gets to define what speech is hateful? In a country where one party has a stranglehold on political power, this is a really dangerous tool to give demagogues like the SNP leadership.

The ease at which this government is able to manipulate phrases to suit their agenda is frightening. I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but we are not far off the social credit system in China.

1. It's moronic, and
Totally agree and I have been doing the same. I remember asking on here if people have filled in the public consultancy forms about the new hate crime legislation and was basically attacked on the thread because I dared to ask. This is being replicated in my thread asking people to think about getting a Twitter account, not to sit on everyday but, just to be there when needed to help fight back against those attacking us.

I know social media, isn't everyone cup of team and I myself Only do Twitter but, if many more for example even did Twitter on here we could go in on them and keep asking the same questions and keep attacking the same MP'S msp'S attacking us but, I have seen on here many times..."I don't do Twitter", could someone else post this.. why should someone else do it?

People as you say need to start mobilizing and start doing things they don't normally like doing or if they don't.. don't moan.

Last edited:
Sorry if posted already but I haven’t read through all of this thread.

Can anyone remember when and how they managed to get the extra definition of ‘f enian’ added to the dictionaries?

3. derogatory, offensive
an Irish Catholic or a person of Irish Catholic descent

From memory I think it was around ten years or so ago, and it was a cabal of Celtic fans (politicians/academics) who pushed for the extra definition to be added to the dictionaries!

Same thing definitely needs to happen for the word ‘hun’ but I think we have to be as organized as they were!

For a word to get into the dictionary, two main things must happen:
  1. It has to be in widespread use among a group of people. This means a lot of people are using the word and agree upon what it means, whether it's spoken or in writing.
  2. That word has to have staying power.

What makes me mad most about the word hun is when teams like Aberdeen and Dundee use it not having a clue what it means they just use it to pander to the "celunatics".

For me it is sectarian. We do sing some songs quiet offensive of our own but they sing songs they have no clue about celebrating a war were lots of irish people have been killed.

Onto the snp. Before scotland think about going on our own. They need someone to unite us all not some silly politicians who takes sides of between us and them. As f1cked as the Labour mps and tory partys are...you don't see them point scoring over the Manchester f1cking Derby. Nope only in Scotland they use football to get what they want.

Also snp supporters claim they "are not anti English its just the goverment" amount of times I've heard the term "English b4astsrds" makes me suggest otherwise but obviously the oppositions ain't got baws to call them out.

Double standards in Scotland is getting clearer and some of the celebrations from rangers supporters what people deemed far fetched wasn't just a celebration because we won the title. It was a celebration with weight lifted of our shoulders. The hatred and sh1t we have been through walking streets in Scotland from all fans only hyped us up.

The road to 56 begins. Be proud to be a ger. Dont let some political obsessed pr1ck get to us.

#55champions

The word hun is sectarian. There’s absolutely no dubiety about that. People have been convicted of religiously aggravated offences for using it.

And if it meant “Rangers fan”, why do they insist on using it when, to them, Rangers no longer exist?
When I was teenager late 60's early 70's we called them h*ns and used to sing GO HOME YA H*NS when we looked like we were going to win an Old Firm game and they were leaving the park in their droves.
How and when it it turned round I can't remember?

Perhaps a wee stage of playing them at their own offended game might be in order for a period, ie: telling them that one is offended by being called a hun, everytime the word is used. Reporting it to the anti-sectarian charities every time it’s used, reporting it to social media channels every time it’s used. Reporting it to your local MSP and MP everytime it’s used. Reporting it to a police officer every time it’s used.

They are emboldened by their own offended-ness, they wear it as a badge of honour as well as the words they are offended by. Perhaps if we play the same game then we might start to get some results in society, then we will see for certain the two tier policies and policing and governance in this country and then we can show the world that we live in a dictatorship rather than a free thinking, free voting, free living democracy.
This is it in a nutshell.

We’re losing the game because we’re not playing it. It’s a game we shouldn’t have to play and don’t want to but there’s no other game going on and against every instinct we have we must quickly ditch the stiff upper lip Protestant ethic. We have to be as intolerably petty as they are.

The reason the media comments favourably on their concerns isn’t nessesarily bias in that they want to but more likely their getting pressured from 3 different directions to do what they say.Nobody at our side pressures them. Not politicians, not made up anti racist groups and definitely not politicians.

Back