The word Hun

Its too late, I'm afraid. The anti-sectarianism legislation in Scotland was deliberately framed and constructed to ensure that religious bigotry was perceived as a one-way street. This is now being played out in the courts.

FTP - sectarian
F*nian - sectarian
Anti-Irish racism - sectarian

FTQ - free speech
Hun - free speech
Anti-British racism - free speech

Its too late, I'm afraid. The anti-sectarianism legislation in Scotland was deliberately framed and constructed to ensure that religious bigotry was perceived as a one-way street. This is now being played out in the courts.

FTP - sectarian
F*nian - sectarian

FTQ - free speech
Hun - free speech
This is just total nonsense . Read the link I posted on this thread from the scotgov website .

I think the main problem is that deep down no Rangers supporter is actually offended at all by being called one.
I know no one will admit it on here but that’s the uncomfortable truth.

It’s a construct to give us leverage in the argument about what we get to call them.
Speak for yourself. I find it extremely offensive.

It's laughable that you think that you know what is in every Rangers fans' head.

FTP - sectarian
F*nian - sectarian

FTQ - free speech
Hun - free speech

It is pretty much done.

It is a loaded, horrible term that seems to pass off without comment when used to describe Rangers fans.

We don’t help ourselves though, far too many Rangers fans seem happy to call themselves Huns.. I’ll never understand why.

I’ve had people use it towards me and I’ve been very blunt, “Don’t use that term, I find it offensive - it’s a derogatory term about Protestants”

When they counter that it’s “just banter” or not offence and I just reply that I take offence at their use of the term and having explained that, then their continued use of it is harassment.
It seems to stop things in their tracks.. but in all honesty, they will be off repeating it in 5 minutes time.

I’m offended by it and always have been. My father and grandfather fought the Hun and kept our country free.
With fans like him who needs enemies.

Im curious as to which of the many definitions of the word Hun these fans think is being used and why it isn’t offensive
I’m referring to the number of posts I’ve seen over the years complaining about being called a “ Hun “ but not using the law and reporting it . People want it done FOR them . Sit back and wait then can’t understand why it’s still used against us .
The fact is it is sectarian , it’s classed as sectarian , people have been charged with sectarian BOP for using it , people have been sacked for using it , and social media does remove it when challenged . If you deem that I’m referring to you as people who come on here crying snd not doing anything then that’s on you , I don’t know what you’ve done or haven’t done regarding it .
You shouldn’t need to report a tweet 2 times, as you say it’s already illegal (“in some contexts”) so it shouldn make it into general consensus. With the greatest respect you are killing bees on the edge of the hive. You might get a tweet or two removed but you aren’t making a dent.

I appreciate you are trying and doing more than most but metaphorically you’re rolling a boulder up a hill and until we as Rangers fans can all flatten the surface at the top for you youre wasting a lot of time to get nowhere.

The fact the word was trending on Twitter two days ago says to me quite loudly that your approach isn’t working,

I had this very conversation last night. I e lost track of the amount of times I have been called a hun at work etc. I used to think no big deal. Not any more. I’m being called that in a derogatory way because of my religion and what football team I support. It’s the very definition of a hate incident.

I will no longer tolerate it. I will challenge it every time and if it continues I will raise it with supervisor. What’s good for the goose ....

The main problem with the word hun is that so many Rangers fans think it’s acceptable to call themselves huns.

Our biggest issue when tackling these issues is our lack of savvy.

The celebrations in March caught them by surprise, they were primed and ready for it on Saturday and 15,000 of our fans marched straight into it.

I never understood or saw the attraction of the organised march, it was guaranteed that there would be trouble at it.

If we could go back 20 years and wipe out Dr Death's time as chairman at celtic and the famine song nonsense then I would not be offended by the word h*n however it's been zero tolerance since then against any alleged sectarian terms and therefore given those circumstances the word h*n should be banned.

With fans like him who needs enemies.

Im curious as to which of the many definitions of the word Hun these fans think is being used and why it isn’t offensive

You shouldn’t need to report a tweet 2 times, as you say it’s already illegal (“in some contexts”) so it shouldn make it into general consensus. With the greatest respect you are killing bees on the edge of the hive. You might get a tweet or two removed but you aren’t making a dent.

I appreciate you are trying and doing more than most but metaphorically you’re rolling a boulder up a hill and until we as Rangers fans can all flatten the surface at the top for you youre wasting a lot of time to get nowhere.

The fact the word was trending on Twitter two days ago says to me quite loudly that your approach isn’t working,
Mate we are both coming from the same place . All I’m doing is my own wee bit and I decided years ago to do it. What I’m saying is if we all did it , it’s a start . I just feel there are too many shrug the shoulders and resign themselves to “ nothing can be done “ . The legislation is there , in black and white , and yet we have posters on this thread claiming it’s a waste of time and that “ FTQ” is fine . It isn’t , but it seems to me some are happy to throw in the towel without even bothering to check the facts ( not yourself , but other posters ) . It sickened me enough 20 years ago to become a trade union rep and I was involved in enough disciplinaries and meetings to know that “ Hun” used in a workplace is very much treated the same as “ 19th Century Terrorist “ and some boys found out the hard way . In some instances I had to mitigate to help these guys save their jobs , on both sides of the argument .

You notice the absence of posters who are very vocal in this thread, Bigotry only works one way it seems.

It's incredible that this language isn't treated with the same disdain and horror as some other forms of sectarianism. It's a free for all where this word is concerned. I see it used significantly more often than any of the 'anti-Irish' phrases.

Much the same as the vitriol against fans over the weekend for daring to fly Union Flags. For some strange reason, that's not thought of as anti-British.

More needs to be done to highlight this.

Look at the definition above on the Scottish website and note the term “in some contexts” and explain to me how that is not the very definition of dubiety?

These so called contexts are not in any way defined properly and therein lies the dubiety.

Note how the terms fnian and Hun are both described as such but I’m yet to hear any media outlet question the dubiety when someone is called a fnian.

Calling someone a “19th Century Terrorist” or “Hun” can, in some contexts, denote a perception around political affiliation, national and/or religious identity. We believe that it is important that any legal definition of sectarianism extends to cover this complexity and inter-sectional challenge. But it should do so without diminishing the importance of anti-Catholicism, anti-Protestantism, anti-Irish racism or anti-British racism, as well as the use of cultural and social signifiers commonly used to identify membership or perceived membership of these groups.”
I wasn’t arguing with you, I was agreeing with you. In real life, there is no dubiety because everyone knows how it is actually used regardless of what the law says.

Last edited:
If we could go back 20 years and wipe out Dr Death's time as chairman at celtic and the famine song nonsense then I would not be offended by the word h*n however it's been zero tolerance since then against any alleged sectarian terms and therefore given those circumstances the word h*n should be banned.

I think most people can handle taking it, on the proviso that they’re allowed to return the serve, if so inclined

Mate we are both coming from the same place . All I’m doing is my own wee bit and I decided years ago to do it. What I’m saying is if we all did it , it’s a start . I just feel there are too many shrug the shoulders and resign themselves to “ nothing can be done “ . The legislation is there , in black and white , and yet we have posters on this thread claiming it’s a waste of time and that “ FTQ” is fine . It isn’t , but it seems to me some are happy to throw in the towel without even bothering to check the facts ( not yourself , but other posters ) . It sickened me enough 20 years ago to become a trade union rep and I was involved in enough disciplinaries and meetings to know that “ Hun” used in a workplace is very much treated the same as “ 19th Century Terrorist “ and some boys found out the hard way . In some instances I had to mitigate to help these guys save their jobs , on both sides of the argument .
We are on the same side and as such I dont want to argue with you anymore.

The word Hun should be as socially unacceptable as fnian and Rangers should proactively and very publicly ask all relevant bodies and media outlets to condone the word. They all will with no exceptions. Could all be done in a morning. This is the perfect time to do it while the debate is already on sectarianism. That’s my opinion and that’s my approach.

We are on the same side and as such I dont want to argue with you anymore.

The word Hun should be as socially unacceptable as Hun and Rangers should proactively and very publicly ask all relevant bodies and media outlets to condone the word Hun. Could all be done in a morning. This is the perfect time to do it while the debate is already on sectarianism. That’s my opinion and that’s my approach.
And I’m with you on that 100% .

I don’t know a single rangers fan who does this . Not one . I’m 48 years old and have known and met thousands of Rangers fans in my life .
A post yesterday on one of the more popular Rangers groups on Facebook who are very stringent about the criteria for being in the group had over 100 people arguing the case for being called huns

I’ve had arguments with my Irish leaning Celtic supporting terrorist sympathising work colleagues about this word.

They are ADAMANT it means nothing except it’s about Rangers players. Nothing to do with Protestantism or unionism or anything remotely like that because they arent sectarian (their words)

So I put the very simple question to them -

If it’s just about rangers, why call hearts or Kilmarnock or linfield the “diet Huns?”

The answer - “because they are like yous”

I ask, what is that? A Protestant leaning, unionist and loyalist leaning club?

The answer - “naw, cos yous sign ex rangers players and their huns anaw”

I went, aye very fucking good. Nothing to do with the Protestant angle then? Bye. Your arguments pish. Good day.

We need to live in the same city and breathe the same air as some of these absolute fucking idiots.

They love a wee bit of antagonism. They know what it means, they also say it’s because a judge said we roamed like huns in Wolverhampton and that’s where it’s from.

I despair. These days, these fucking morons take the moral high ground and act like the moral crusaders of this country when they celebrate an Irish terrorist group. This is what we as unionists are up against.

I’ve had arguments with my Irish leaning Celtic supporting terrorist sympathising work colleagues about this word.

They are ADAMANT it means nothing except it’s about Rangers players. Nothing to do with Protestantism or unionism or anything remotely like that because they arent sectarian (their words)

If it’s just about rangers, why call hearts or Kilmarnock or linfield the “diet Huns?”

I went, aye very fucking good. Nothing to do with the Protestant angle then? Bye. Your arguments pish. Good day.

We need to live in the same city and breathe the same air as some of these absolute fucking idiots.

They love a wee bit of antagonism. They know what it means, they also say it’s because a judge said we roamed like huns in Wolverhampton and that’s where it’s from.

I despair. These days, these fucking morons take the moral high ground and act like the moral crusaders of this country when they celebrate an Irish terrorist group. This is what we as unionists are up against.
You hear this argument across Scottish society. But it’s devoid of common sense and wouldnt be repeated by the gov or the media as they would have to answer the follow up questions with which the likes of your workmates can just shrug off.

Whilst I agree with most of the posts , I can't help thinking of the outcome of the UEFA decision on the " Billy Boys " song ( In any form )We have no friends in high places . I think it's a good thing to challenge every time but I wouldn't be banking on any favours or ruling

Notice a lot of nationalists using the its just means Rangers fans on social media the last 2 days.

It's a co ordinated campaign 100%.

A post yesterday on one of the more popular Rangers groups on Facebook who are very stringent about the criteria for being in the group had over 100 people arguing the case for being called huns
Wow . What were their arguments “ for “ ? This will be good .

PS just because 100 don’t understand being called it or call themselves it doesn’t mean the other 50,000 who go to every home game need to like it or accept it .

Notice a lot of nationalists using the its just means Rangers fans on social media the last 2 days.

It's a co ordinated campaign 100%.
Noticed this myself . They want to keep it , they know it dehumanises us , they don’t want to accept its use is blatantly sectarian and hateful speech .

Ulster Scots fit the criteria of ‘Irish’, any abuse of Ulster Scots via terms like Orange bastards, Huns etc is Anti-Irish Racism.
A good and often overlooked point.

Mainly because it does not suit the current agenda driven politicians/media.
Against our club and unionism in general.

It seems obvious that the Celtic driven media are positioning for the upcoming hate crime laws and intend to go in full pelt that Irish are a race giving them further fuel for the fire of victimhood. It’s a setup

Rangers should right now be publicly highlighting the hypocracy in how the word hun is received and especially how those using it are able to dismiss accusations of sectarianism themselves and carry on under the guise that it is “just offensive.”

It’s still tolerated on some message boards, comment pages, and obviously on tweets and Facebook messages and also in wider society.

If they won’t acknowledge its sectarian undertones ask them does that mean it’s still acceptable to lead with a slur in modern society when describing (any) group of people? They can’t possibly condone any offensive language SO MAKE THEM PUBLICLY SAY SO!

We have lost the first round of this battle. They backed us into a corner. But we can’t really be pushed back any further, there’s nowhere left to push us. We know they are just as bad and are getting away with murder due largely to our board not SPECIFICALLY calling out offensive behaviour and using what lackiesnwe have in the media to push this narrative.

The sing openly about huns. Let’s turn it on them. Let us be ones filming them singing sectarian songs and let’s us highlight it as sectarian and unacceptable. Once it’s been publicly acknowledged it’s a banned term the media have zero choice but to condone it.

We should note that the use of the word is widespread in Scottish society from young to old, Celtic to nationalist, and ask them even if they don’t consider it sectarian, are we to assume it is therefore acceptable. It’s a disgusting slur regardless which of the many definitions you pretend to use. Make the media admit it’s a slur and we don’t need to battle the is it sectarian argument (which we not win as long as we are the bad guys) any longer.

Draw these bastards out of the grey area they live in and confront them head on. Do you condone rangers fans being called huns on social media and if not will you confront it when it happens.

If Rangers won’t do where the %^*& are club 1872 or any of our other representatives in drawing attention to this?
People forget that we actually referred to C*ltic as huns back in the day.

I dont find hun offensive, but thats because I associate the term with celtic supporters.

They were always the hun when i was growing up due to their support of the Republic of Ireland who colluded with the Nazis and left the lights on to guide the German bombers into bomb us.

So much so that we even had a song to the tune of Hosanna, about shooting every £enian Hun, just for stepping on the Queens Highway.

Noticed this myself . They want to keep it , they know it dehumanises us , they don’t want to accept its use is blatantly sectarian and hateful speech .

I'm fairly sure a scumbag was convicted of a religious offence by using it up in Aberdeen sometime last year.

They seem to be trying to use some Ofcom statement to say it's not offensive.

I'm fairly sure a scumbag was convicted of a religious offence by using it up in Aberdeen sometime last year.

They can scramble around all they like , they know what it means , the fact they use it and want to use it means they are hateful , intolerant spiteful aggressive to name a few descriptors . Imagine trying to create a straw man to use a word of hatred . Ina tolerant , welcoming Scottish society eh ?

Wow . What were their arguments “ for “ ? This will be good .

PS just because 100 don’t understand being called it or call themselves it doesn’t mean the other 50,000 who go to every home game need to like it or accept it .
Banter mainly

They can scramble around all they like , they know what it means , the fact they use it and want to use it means they are hateful , intolerant spiteful aggressive to name a few descriptors . Imagine trying to create a straw man to use a word of hatred . Ina tolerant , welcoming Scottish society eh ?

Indeed. Everyone is welcome to Scotland, except one group of people.

This should be nothing to do with our board, it is us ourselves who need need to stand up and be offended by it. Scottish politicians have always courted the Catholic vote as they are organised politically in their churches and have their own newspaper which Salmond wrote a column when he was First Minister, or should that be First Priest?

I’m offended by it and always have been. My father and grandfather fought the Hun and kept our country free.
Correct, was it not the case post war that the Irish were described as the hun because of their wartime neutrality and in some cases assisting the Germans?

I would imagine that any "Rangers" fan that supports the vile snp calls himself this word ,as he thinks it's a cuddly term of endearment.His fellow cult voters refer to him as token,but that's over his head too.

Sheriff Iain Peebles convicted Michael Devlin of a religiously aggravated breach of the peace in 2008 for wearing a t-shirt that had “dirty horrible huns” on it.

if you google the names I’m sure you’ll find the relevant reports of it. That’s just the one I remember, I’m sure there are more.

This bit, particularly in my experience. So despite the reference to Huns or “KAH” graffitied in towns in NI that don’t even have a local RSC or any link to our Club, it apparently still doesn’t slur protestants. Absolute BS.

Somehow, in this so-called divided city, where we have a “problem” with sectarian bigotry, only one side of the aisle is guilty of using slurs that have religious connotations?

By any reasonable definition, including that of Merriam-Webster, the primary meaning of “fen*an” is a 19th century Irish/Irish-American republican militant. Does that mean that it can never be used as a slur against a catholic? Of course not. But in a West of Scotland context, where one side of the city blatantly and ostentatiously reveres the Irish Republican Army and their associated groups - of course we are retaliating with the word in the same context. If we wanted to slur catholics, there are many other ways of doing so, without ambiguity.

They adore being the “fen*an army”, but apparently only they get proprietary of the term. And they also get to tell us what Hun means and why we don’t have the right to be offended by it.

The word hun is sectarian. There’s absolutely no dubiety about that. People have been convicted of religiously aggravated offences for using it.

And if it meant “Rangers fan”, why do they insist on using it when, to them, Rangers no longer exist?
Bullseye!

It seems obvious that the Celtic driven media are positioning for the upcoming hate crime laws and intend to go in full pelt that Irish are a race giving them further fuel for the fire of victimhood. It’s a setup

Rangers should right now be publicly highlighting the hypocracy in how the word hun is received and especially how those using it are able to dismiss accusations of sectarianism themselves and carry on under the guise that it is “just offensive.”

It’s still tolerated on some message boards, comment pages, and obviously on tweets and Facebook messages and also in wider society.

If they won’t acknowledge its sectarian undertones ask them does that mean it’s still acceptable to lead with a slur in modern society when describing (any) group of people? They can’t possibly condone any offensive language SO MAKE THEM PUBLICLY SAY SO!

We have lost the first round of this battle. They backed us into a corner. But we can’t really be pushed back any further, there’s nowhere left to push us. We know they are just as bad and are getting away with murder due largely to our board not SPECIFICALLY calling out offensive behaviour and using what lackiesnwe have in the media to push this narrative.

The sing openly about huns. Let’s turn it on them. Let us be ones filming them singing sectarian songs and let’s us highlight it as sectarian and unacceptable. Once it’s been publicly acknowledged it’s a banned term the media have zero choice but to condone it.

We should note that the use of the word is widespread in Scottish society from young to old, Celtic to nationalist, and ask them even if they don’t consider it sectarian, are we to assume it is therefore acceptable. It’s a disgusting slur regardless which of the many definitions you pretend to use. Make the media admit it’s a slur and we don’t need to battle the is it sectarian argument (which we not win as long as we are the bad guys) any longer.

Draw these bastards out of the grey area they live in and confront them head on. Do you condone rangers fans being called huns on social media and if not will you confront it when it happens.

If Rangers won’t do where the %^*& are club 1872 or any of our other representatives in drawing attention to this?
This is something that has been grinding my gears for years. The government (all parties) rattle on about sectarianism bit cant even give a list of songs that are banned, instead of blaming a club once something crosses the imaginary line.

If they were serious about this, there would be enough working groups that could lead, allowing the club to keep out of the base level arguments and allow them to worry about enforcing the rules (with obvious stakeholder input).

Then clean rulebook = clear instructions to our fanbase and no need to delay safe standing.

Theoretically they don't get to decide what is offensive to us and vice-versa. There is an unhealthy amount of subjectivity in all of these "hate crime" legislations but the precedent was set by the MacPherson Report circa 2002 following the killing of Stephen Lawrence.

We need parity and we really should be taking more offence by the H-word.

However, there are two issues:

1)It might be enshrined in law but it really isn't implemented with the vigour of their F-word.

2)As @Bristol_bnose3 alluded to, we are not as offended and to expand upon that my opinion is because our culture is not based upon victimhood and blame.

A concerted campaign is required by us but I just don't sense the appetite for it.

Perhaps a wee stage of playing them at their own offended game might be in order for a period, ie: telling them that one is offended by being called a hun, everytime the word is used. Reporting it to the anti-sectarian charities every time it’s used, reporting it to social media channels every time it’s used. Reporting it to your local MSP and MP everytime it’s used. Reporting it to a police officer every time it’s used.

They are emboldened by their own offended-ness, they wear it as a badge of honour as well as the words they are offended by. Perhaps if we play the same game then we might start to get some results in society, then we will see for certain the two tier policies and policing and governance in this country and then we can show the world that we live in a dictatorship rather than a free thinking, free voting, free living democracy.

Prefer it if we could just get rid of this hurty wordy shite and be a normal country again where football banter is just that. If they keep this up the Billy Boys and Conks won’t just be hurty wordys.

The only way to end the " hun " nonsense is by political change. Lobby your MP/ MSP. Doing nothing only ensures it continues unabated.

Back