The young lad Turnbull

Turnbull is a great prospect, know his family and him well.

That deal falling through last season saved his career as his knee would have given away if not spotted by the medical.

He reminds of me Armstrong but far more skilled.

We should break the bank to sign him tbh but he will go to them either this window or next summer sadly. They have first option on him from Motherwell and his old man's family support that mob though they are Motherwell fans themselves.

By 'first option' - do you mean a binding contract is in place between the two clubs?

As he’s had 37 appearances all in apparently I would wager next to none hence my point Docherty had played well more than double the games .

If you’re happy that a guy with one good season and a bad night is taking us forward to win the league you have very different standards for me.

We need a established first team player with good experience mid to late 20s to improve our first team.
So you agree we should never have gone near Jake Hastie?

Can't recall him standing out in any games against us to be honest but 15 goals from midfield for Motherwell can't really be sniffed at.

With the knee issue however it would be a gamble. I suspect us and Celtic might be watching him this season to see how he has recovered and from what others have said, Celtic have first refusal.

So you agree we should never have gone near Jake Hastie?

No I don’t , Hastie was a project a free probably on a low ish wage.

Turnbull would cost 3 million at least.

My argument is he doesn’t improve our first team we need a first team starter not another project with one good season.

David Turnbull is a better prospect than Lewis Ferguson is. Turnbull doesn't get the kudos on here from some quarters. Likely because he's not got the romance of the Ferguson name tag and I would imagine him nearly signing for the them, has likely coloured people's view a tad. Yet many clamour to bring up Ferguson's name when discussing potential midfield signings, despite him not being nearly as technically gifted as Turnbull.

I'd sign Turnbull if we get/got the opportunity to. Although, I do think that the time for that sort of speculation has died a death. He's a stick on to honour last summers deal with them or to do a McGinn and move down south.

If for some reason he did sign for us, he'd be a different option to any of the midfielders we currently have at the club and he's impressed me in the games I've saw him in (admittedly a small sample size). He seems quite cultured, although more than capable of standing his ground in the league and he scores goals. He'd be one for the future, that could still bring something to the table in the here and now.

Exactly. More football in Turnbulls big toe than Ferguson's whole body. Ferguson isnt a bad player but hes a runner and harrier who will probably end up at championship level. Turnbull is well above that standard and what he produced two years ago for a guy in his first season of senior football was exceptional.

Would love to sign him but he will be heading to the tims

I get the feeling it that will happen if Ntcham leaves and Turnbull is still at Motherwell at that point. Until then hes up for grabs. If the deal was done already he'd be a Celtic player now. Think teams from England will be in for him soon too.

No I don’t , Hastie was a project a free probably on a low ish wage.

Turnbull would cost 3 million at least.

My argument is he doesn’t improve our first team we need a first team starter not another project with one good season.

The mental gymnastics here are incredible.

The mental gymnastics here are incredible.

No mental Gymnastics,

Turnbull doesn’t improve us he has potential only but at 3 million we could probably get an established international or not far away.

Hastie was a free transfer and never meant to go straight in to the first team.

No mental Gymnastics,

Turnbull doesn’t improve us he has potential only but at 3 million we could probably get an established international or not far away.

Because he's a vastly inferior player to Turnbull. and we signed off the back of a good half-season. Not even a good season. A good half-season.

No mental Gymnastics,

I understand what you mean but the term 'free transfer' is misleading - even if folk do tend to use it. I understand Hastie cost a Dev Fee in excess of £300k. Plus any signing-on bonus etc. We hear similar tales of how 'cheap' our cross-border deals have been as well. I'm sure there is footage out there of Robertson confirming that, whilst Aribo was a 'low' Dev Fee, putting the deal together actually cost us close to £2m to get it over the line. He was worth every penny by the way.:)

These 'free' and 'cheap' deals don't always work out that way. Just a wee bugbear of mine.:)

Because he's a vastly inferior player to Turnbull. and we signed off the back of a good half-season. Not even a good season. A good half-season.

Turnbull has had one good season 37 games played in total for Motherwell so he would be being signed on not much more for 3 million quid.

Do you think he walks in to our first team ??

I understand what you mean but the term 'free transfer' is misleading - even if folk do tend to use it. I understand Hastie cost a Dev Fee in excess of £300k. Plus any signing-on bonus etc. We hear similar tales of how 'cheap' our cross-border deals have been as well. I'm sure there is footage out there of Robertson confirming that, whilst Aribo was a 'low' Dev Fee, putting the deal together actually cost us close to £2m to get it over the line. He was worth every penny by the way.:)

These 'free' and 'cheap' deals don't always work out that way. Just a wee bugbear of mine.:)

Yes mate but we never spent 3 million on him with probably 15000 a week at least in wages.

He was low cost low risk Turnbull at his price is a massive risk.

Yes mate but we never spent 3 million on him with probably 15000 a week at least in wages.

He was low cost low risk Turnbull at his price is a massive risk.

As much as I like the player I've already said earlier in the thread that I don't think, right now, he is worth £3m of Rangers money (or yours for that matter ;)).

My post was more a generic 'bleat' about the use of 'free' or 'cheap' in relation to transfers that are anything but.

As much as I like the player I've already said earlier in the thread that I don't think, right now, he is worth £3m of Rangers money (or yours for that matter ;)).

My post was more a generic 'bleat' about the use of 'free' or 'cheap' in relation to transfers that are anything but.

Yeah mate I know they all cost a lot of money even if it’s a free transfer but signing a player at 3 million is always costing a lot more than some one like Hastie.

I wouldn’t have imagined we will have given him a large signing on fee.

The cross borders like Aribo will have cost big bucks for sure.

We paid mega bucks for an Albanian chancer and an alcoholic washed up has been, probably the best part of £10m for fees, wages and pay off.

If this young lad is the real deal the football snobs need to reel their neck in as there are some real gems out there if you know where to look.

We can't fork out £2m for someone who wouldn't get into our midfield for a couple of years.
So non starter despite his 'potential'.

Kevin Thomson would have been head and shoulders above broon9 if he wasn't subject to a fuukin dirty tackle at rugby park where the cuunt who did it thought he wiz playin rugby.

I don't think either fulfilled their potential.

Thomson was meant to go to them to replace Lennon, they ended up with Brown who we wanted as an attacking midfielder.

Brown has basically cosplayed as Lennon since joining them. There was a lot more to his game at Hibs & even internationally up until that point.

Thomson it was the injuries.

Reactions: Egt
He’s the best young player outside of Rangers & Celtic. Only player in Scotland worth considering signing. Would want to pay too much for him, though
He’s the best young player outside of Rangers & Celtic. Only player in Scotland worth considering signing. Would want to pay too much for him, though
Agree with that

Willie Pettigrew now there is a blast from the past. He was only really good because of the guy playing behind him in midfield for Motherwell. Bobby Graham I think was his name. He was setting Pettigrew up to score goals. When he went to DU and split from Graham he never scored anywhere near the same amount of goals. His carreer went downhill from there.
My papa replaced him at EK thistle, bit of random trivia.

£2m plus Hastie would get him. I hope we stick in that type of bid near the end of the window after Celtic have spunked their cash on a lb and cb.

Willie Pettigrew now there is a blast from the past. He was only really good because of the guy playing behind him in midfield for Motherwell. Bobby Graham I think was his name. He was setting Pettigrew up to score goals. When he went to DU and split from Graham he never scored anywhere near the same amount of goals. His carreer went downhill from there.

Pettigrew scored 36 goals for United in 91 games. He scored 93 goals for Motherwell in 185 games. That was still pretty prolific at United. Graham was the player he linked well with at Motherwell. Wouldn’t say his career went downhill at United. Won Two League Cup medals there. Pettigrew was a decent guy off the pitch too

Pettigrew scored 36 goals for United in 91 games. He scored 93 goals for Motherwell in 185 games. That was still pretty prolific at United. Graham was the player he linked well with at Motherwell. Wouldn’t say his career went downhill at United. Won Two League Cup medals there. Pettigrew was a decent guy off the pitch too

Interesting trivia. It was Willie Pettigrew Liverpool were scouting when they discovered Alan Hansen instead.

People slating Turnbull probably love Jack (free transfer from Sheep) and Kamara (50k from Dundee).

Turnbull will be twice the player of both them btw in a season or two. Also a far far better player than Lewis Ferguson.

Jake Hastie is absolutely rotten as well, plus we were prepared to pay 3 million for that South African journeyman who's 28. Turnbull would be a tremendous signing at same price, we will regret it big time if he goes to them.

I think he's at least a season away from pushing for a 1st team place at almost any quality side

Not that that's too surprising- given his age & experience to date & considering who he's been playing for up till now

I can admire his ability - but only in the way you'd admire any young player in the 'potential' category

He's still to prove himself imo -

I'm sure many teams will consider taking a punt on a promising youngster but to me there's still a risk he might not progress much beyond the next level

I would be delighted if we got Turnbull.

I understand that he might not be a first team regular just now if he came to us but if we wait too long we will miss out.

Rangers should always be looking to sign up the best young Scottish talent and I think Turnbull is the best prospect in the league at the moment and he scores much needed goals from midfield.

Back