There is no legitimate case for sacking Steven Gerrard

Anyone that thought that Gerrard should be delivering that this year is clueless. Not saying it was beyond the realms of possibility but it can in no way be used as a realistic measurement of his success/failure this season.
So should he be delivering next year?

So should he be delivering next year?

Yes I'd say the majority would expect a proper challenge - if we don't win then it should probably be going right down to the wire.

My point was this season with SG having just taken over was ridiculously unrealistic.

Yes I'd say the majority would expect a proper challenge - if we don't win then it should probably be going right down to the wire.

My point was this season with SG having just taken over was ridiculously unrealistic.
I didn't expect us to win this season and was promptly put in my place by those who were comparing what odds they all had for us to win the league or the treble.

We were league champions when we lost to Maribor previously... the context of playing them then and this season was clearly different.

I think Maribor were league champions then too, but were not last season. They lost the league to Olimpija, who Nathan Oduwa played for.

In order to qualify for the EL, we played the team finished 4th in Macedonia, 2nd in Slovenia, 4th in Croatia and 7th in Russia who qualified via a technicality for the first time in their existence.

That is a very kind draw, all things considered.

Our performances in the group stages were far more impressive than the “simply qualifying” argument most people like to put up.

I didn't expect us to win this season and was promptly put in my place by those who were comparing what odds they all had for us to win the league or the treble.

I put money on us mate, but my logic was that it was great value. 12.1 for us to win the league was worth my few quid even if I accepted that it was improbable. 12 quid for every quid invested told me that.

But firstly, the guy has had net 5.5m I think the publicly claimed amount was. And secondly decisions against us are at least as bad as last year, my point being that fair decisions from refs & we may only be a few behind.

As to Gerrard, a lot of his decisions have annoyed me but I’m still 100% behind the man. The board must support him this summer with quality. That can be OOC players not just guys for millions, but we need quality.

I put money on us mate, but my logic was that it was great value. 12.1 for us to win the league was worth my few quid even if I accepted that it was improbable. 12 quid for every quid invested told me that.

But firstly, the guy has had net 5.5m I think the publicly claimed amount was. And secondly decisions against us are at least as bad as last year, my point being that fair decisions from refs & we may only be a few behind.

As to Gerrard, a lot of his decisions have annoyed me but I’m still 100% behind the man. The board must support him this summer with quality. That can be OOC players not just guys for millions, but we need quality.

I think the overwhelming majority are still behind him, including myself. But some just won’t accept any criticism of him and can’t seem to deal with the fact that people have valid concerns based on the evidence of what we have seen so far this season. Apparently if you discuss this you’re out of order or it makes you less of a fan.

It's not a soundbite. Since 1872 our lads have been known for their football, their ability to draw crowds etc. We've never 'settled' and fans won't settle now. You missed my point entirely...our club is NOT built on giving anyone 'several years to get to right'. Not even Pep. Our massive fan base want to compete and no manager, chairman or board has years.

You are spot on but what other time in our great history have we experienced what we experinced in 2012? Demoted to the bottom tier of Scottish Football, losing all our assets for nothing and revenue streams cut massively. Three years of being run by asset strippers followed also which severely halted our progress.

It was always going to take us time to come back and properly challenge for the league again.

I remember the late Number 8 poster on the old FF board round about the time we were demoted. He predicted exactly this would happen and that going down the divisions would be an absolute disaster for us and it would take a decade at least to recover from it. But too many of our fans were caught up in sh*te like #ThisIsFun hashtags and f*ck the SPL and every other c*nt in the world.

I remember the late Number 8 poster on the old FF board round about the time we were demoted. He predicted exactly this would happen and that going down the divisions would be an absolute disaster for us and it would take a decade at least to recover from it. But too many of our fans were caught up in sh*te like #ThisIsFun hashtags and f*ck the SPL and every other c*nt in the world.

I think too many fans are still like that. Obviously we're Rangers and we demand success but sometimes you've got to take a step back and remember what we've just been through. The whole landscape has changed and we're still clawing our way back to normality.

We're too expectant and demanding of success. We need to stop sitting on our hands on a Saturday and get behind the boys more on a Saturday. There was many who walked out of Ibrox on Saturday after Killie scored. We nearly didn't have a team to support a few years ago.

Obviously we need our players to be able to handle the pressure but let's not make it harder for them is my general point.

I think the overwhelming majority are still behind him, including myself. But some just won’t accept any criticism of him and can’t seem to deal with the fact that people have valid concerns based on the evidence of what we have seen so far this season. Apparently if you discuss this you’re out of order or it makes you less of a fan.

I haven't seen that. There are very few still unreservedly tooting away on the Stevie G Express from where I'm sitting.

Most appear to accept that there's been some progress, possibly not quite as much as we'd hoped, but enough that they're prepared to allow him to build on it over the summer and see how we're looking by the end of the year.

If he's still not getting the results by then, it's going to be academic.

Agree DZ. That’s what the forums for, so we can all talk about everything to do with the club we love.
If we disagree with Steven’s decisions then fine, time will prove us right or wrong. But it absolutely is healthy for us to be talking about these things.

Europe and domestic cups aside - The latest heart and hand podcast brought up a great point in that us and them are separated by 5 draws. We’ve lost the same amount of games (4) it’s not like we’re getting pumped each week. Think of those draws as well and how late on and from winning positions we’ve threw points away for example Aberdeen 1-1, Motherwell 3-3, Hibs 1-1 at Ibrox. Not to mention draws like against Dundee where a perfectly on-side Lafferty goal would’ve made the difference and when we’ve battered hibs twice away but still only came away with a point.

We’re not a million miles away in the league. We’re that clinical edge, quality player that can play that key pass, better decision making away. Maybe I’m a glass half full type of guy.

I think too many fans are still like that. Obviously we're Rangers and we demand success but sometimes you've got to take a step back and remember what we've just been through. The whole landscape has changed and we're still clawing our way back to normality.

We're too expectant and demanding of success. We need to stop sitting on our hands on a Saturday and get behind the boys more on a Saturday. There was many who walked out of Ibrox on Saturday after Killie scored. We nearly didn't have a team to support a few years ago.

Obviously we need our players to be able to handle the pressure but let's not make it harder for them is my general point.

Very good point AI. We don’t help the players enough. They’re not a good Rangers team in historical terms but 100% from both them & us will go a long way domestically.

And most of us older guys can still remember some really shit teams back then too. It wasn’t always success.

About so called fans leaving, the game on Saturday two guys in front of me, left just before half time, as they can it is their choice, things are not working out the way we want, but a lot of people forget were we have come from, in a short space of time, we are a lot better than last season by some distance now we need players who will bring order to our team in other words be able to push a win over the line, guys who don't settle for a point but go for three, these guy's don't come cheap, but this is down to MA and his staff, and our manager, to ID these guy's and then act.

Always let value be your watchword when gambling m8.

I think Maribor were league champions then too, but were not last season. They lost the league to Olimpija, who Nathan Oduwa played for.

In order to qualify for the EL, we played the team finished 4th in Macedonia, 2nd in Slovenia, 4th in Croatia and 7th in Russia who qualified via a technicality for the first time in their existence.

That is a very kind draw, all things considered.

Our performances in the group stages were far more impressive than the “simply qualifying” argument most people like to put up.

Even in a world where it was "easy" we still made the Europa League.... it's Rangers doing good things.... it's fucken great

When I was a young'un and got my end away with a tidy bird I enjoyed it for what it was I didn't dwell on it and try and talk down my achievements.

There was no legitimate case for hiring him in the first place.

That is the concerning thing here.

Was there a queue of other applicants for the position ?

Apart from Souness being a player/manager, what were the 'legitimate case' for hiring him ?

I seem to recall he did 'ok', especially his first season.

I like what SG has done so far, and hope he stays for a good few years.

Back