Thoughts on Man City: can anyone get worked up?

Aye but I would’ve taken a “shake mahand “,takeover and been propelled upwards,against the shyte a.k.a, craig whyte and the sewers we have been dragged through.money be it fans/owners,is what drives football,it’s a business!!!m.o.
As any football fan would love if their club had rich owners.
Bit like Liverpool being backed by the Moore's family who owned the littlewoods pools during their glory years.
Been airbrushed from history but where the first sugar daddy club who had achieved very little before it:cool:o_O

Never really gave them a second thought till they got their millions. I've kind of got used to them being one of the established clubs these days which is probably a sad indictment of where football is now.

City are and always will be ‘The peoples club’ in Manchester.

Nobody is priced out of watching them. As has been mentioned their ticket pricing is very competitive. Just don’t buy a steak pie !!!!

They are a major local employer. When third tier was being put on the Colin Bell Stand (I think) the company given contract had to employ locals and give an agreed minimum amount of apprenticeships to local youngsters providing these kids with a career.

They did get the stadium at a decent rate but that money goes back into local community.

The recent improvements to training facilities and woman’s stadium/ youth academy cost upwards of £200 million. That is there for the long term future of the club

The matchday experience at City square should be the benchmark we as a club are aiming for.

Fantastic game last night and justice done in the end. Great strike from Sane and clinical from Sterling.

Was surprised Pep took off Aguero but that’s why I’m driving a taxi and he’s managing the greatest team in EPL history

Over 47,000 in Division two back in the 80s
charlton-home-1984-to-85-phillips-goal-1024x547.jpg

They are and always have been one of the Biggest if not the best clubs in England

That could be an issue at Chelsea until they move to a bigger ground, but from what I've seen Man City's home games rarely sell out. I remember hearing an interview with Noel Gallagher a few years back where he said he couldn't understand the expansion to the Etihad's capacity as there always empty seats as it was. Also I'm assuming it will still be only the hardcore City fans who get to the away games.
City operate a points system so it’s the guys who’ve been going longest who het first shout.
I’m lucky I’m in a big supporters club who get an allocation they ballot so I get to 4/5 away games.

On one hand they are very lucky that the UAE chose them as their pet project - on the other they are at the pinnacle of all that is wrong with the current English game. Their stockpiling of players makes me sick.

They are also a startling reminder of how the Financial Fair Play Regulations failed massively - the powers that be had one go at knocking all this on the head and shat the nest. I don't see any way back now ... them and PSG fecked it for everybody else and moved the goalposts.

I honestly think there’s a lot of jealousy with clubs like Man City and Chelsea.

Imagine a rich benefactor came in and bankrolled us to the tune of millions and millions and we knocked the papes back into oblivion - nobody would be giving a shite about tradition then.

I honestly think there’s a lot of jealousy with clubs like Man City and Chelsea.

Imagine a rich benefactor came in and bankrolled us to the tune of millions and millions and we knocked the papes back into oblivion - nobody would be giving a shite about tradition then.

Oh I’d still care about Rangers traditions and our greatest of histories. When Davie Holmes brought in Souness and we started signnng the best players in the U.K. I didn’t stop caring the clubs traditions . I did get pissed off at the start when it started getting more difficult to get to games due them being all ticket but success brings these small downsides

I enjoyed watching their come back last night and shutting up out those Germans who seemed to be so arrogant about the idea of beating the British team. I was only watching it because I had to wait for the delayed transmission of the boys in blue.

I thought their ticket prices were very low.
Yep, that’s what I am led to believe.

I’m sure they subsided their away supporters when Arsenal were ripping the piss.

Plus they apparently do a lot locally, grassroots and all that.

Better than Chelsea, but I can’t quite bring myself to love them.

Must be good to have been a fan through thick and thin - if you’re that old, you’ll be dead before it all goes south :D

I used to visit Manchester quite a lot for my work in the 80's and surprisingly most of the folk I met were City fans.
It seemed to me at the time that they were the "real" football fans rather than the glory hunters that followed Utd considering at that time City were really in the footballing doldrums.
I really admired their devotion to their club through thick and thin and although I'm not in touch with these guys anymore, I'm delighted that they might just be having the time of their lives that they never expected.

Oil FC. A plaything for foreign billionaires. 95% of their foreign players probably didn't even know there was a team called City in Manchester until a mind boggling contract was shoved in front of them.

I am talking loving or hating them. Who cares? Really.

They'be now bought a 7th club - in China - as part of a global marketing strategy. It leaves me cold and a few folk I was social media chatting to last night were watching A Madrid game instead.

Now I am not talking hating them but is it hard to work up any feeling for them? I mean they could win CL this year and will one day, but...so? A shrug would be most peoples response would it not?

Also Pep is a bell-end.

Anyone warmed to them?
A soulless small club buying success. Everything that’s wrong with modern football summed up right there.

Rangers fans used to have a bit of a connection with City, numerous buses used to attend maine Rd on a regular basis, we also held supporters fives outside the stadium and then into their massive social club for a good night. They are the English team I like to see win every week, have done for over 30 years and will continue to do so

Quality manager, Quality team. Shite fans.

The club as a whole? Represents the insidious and disgusting changes happening to the sport.

In 20 years there will be an asterix beside their achievements.

Never forget they are wholly owned by human rights abusing dictators who deny their people the right to vote. Who's country's vast oil wealth is not only hoarded from their people, but their city is built on the backs of men who are little more than indentured servants.

They are no better than Saddam Hussein, Assad or Gaddaffi and their attempts to rebrand themselves using football should make all decent people sick. If it were not for western companies and their technology they would still be selling carpets in a desert wasteland.

Oil FC. A plaything for foreign billionaires. 95% of their foreign players probably didn't even know there was a team called City in Manchester until a mind boggling contract was shoved in front of them.
Foreigners eh ? Funny how Manchester City were the last club in England to be champions of England with an all English team.

It’s popular now to hate everything, particularly anything that has money attached to it.

I like Pep, I don’t dislike City.

Would like to see Liverpool win EPL but wouldn’t be upset if City won the quadruple as they are one of the few teams who treat every competition they enter with respect and try to win it using their best players instead of resting the stars and throwing in a second string.

They are also hugely entertaining, but who wants to be entertained when you can hate the %^*& out of something instead.

In terms of stature they're still nothing more than a middle of the pack club who are one of the richest in the world, that will obviously change overtime if they keep it up but 3 league titles, 3 league cups, 1 fa cup and achieving nothing in Europe in 10 1/2 years when you're spending more money on defenders than countries do to defend themselves isn't amazing. As for the support, while there's obviously a diehard support to any club, it's also not hard to build one when you're competing for trophies and have world class players. As for owning other clubs, it's moving the game to more of a franchise like american sports but outside of Melbourne City all the clubs they own are either brand new clubs or have been left alone in terms of the clubs name/branding so it could be worse, they're not forcing names on the Japanese or Spanish clubs like Red Bull do.

They’re a big club who are getting bigger.

Depends on your definition of a “ big club “ They can’t fill there stadium , the atmosphere is terrible , they only complete purely because of being bought over by billionaire owners. So they are in my opinion a small club who got rich.

Now they are everything football is these days. Money, clappy fans, new badge, prawn sanny mob.

Years ago. Maine Road was brilliant and having a normal team. I knew a few fans of there's in the 90s. They put up with alot and now have a new issue to deal with.

There is, it’s jealousy and just sour grapes from the pre-existing “big clubs” that wanted to carry on with minimal challenge till the end of time.

Football has changed drastically, that paradigm shift happened a good while ago too, time for people to just accept it because it’s not going back.

Built on cash so it seems cold & unappealing but they have been superbly supported through some pretty awful times which kind of makes the 'plastic club with no history' line bollocks (granted they had an aversion to Brasso prior to the petro- dollars)

In EPL land Chelsea did it before them, even Blackburn too.

Depends on your definition of a “ big club “ They can’t fill there stadium , the atmosphere is terrible , they only complete purely because of being bought over by billionaire owners. So they are in my opinion a small club who got rich.

They give over too many seats to a family and corporate section which do not get filled. For the general public though,alll home games are sold out. This is something the club need to address.
They are also planning to increase the North Stand bringing the capacity to over 60,000.

They play some beautiful attacking football at times, I dont see how anyone can deny that. Their core support has been pretty loyal over the years despite what everyone says about tourists. I think if you go back to the 60s their support matches that of Man U despite them being in the lower division for some of that time. Personally I have no love/hate for them either way. I dont like the idea of Arab ownership and the way they symbolize modern football throwing cash left, right, and centre, but theyre hardly the only team doing that nowadays

As Braeside evidences they had a big connection with Gers fans in the 70s

Why don't people like Pep?
I don't dislike him but I don't buy the big fuss. He's the equivalent of the guy who plays champ manager and always chooses to manage the best team. He inherited a great squad at Barcelona and has since moved to clubs that have tons of money, great squads and are already winning their leagues. Let's see him take Leicester to a championship then talk about his ability.

Their announcement of buying a Chinese club has pretty much killed all respect for them as club and their legacy. F*ck ‘em.

Ps Pep is a knob.

Did your respect for Rangers die when we bought an Australian club? The Chinese club?

Really not going to be too much longer before "in the interests of fairness" the real big clubs use the EPL as a feeder league for their sure-to-happen euro super league.

Horrible club.

I think the real fans that went down the divisions with them cant even afford to watch them anymore.

That isn’t true mate I had a mate (passed away last year) who followed Rangers and City he was 59 when he passed and he’d been following both clubs all his days. He went to watch city semi regularly saw the game when they won the EPL with the last kick of the ball. Said most of the fans were the same fans as division 2. They actually attract less ‘tourists’ than most hence the empty seats.

I don't like clubs that have bought success like city, Chelsea or psg and I really dislike pep a lot, so here's hoping Liverpool or spurs win the league

I've actually developed a bit of a soft spot for United in recent years, post-greeting faced Moyes anyway

Know a few Citeh fans who have followed all their lives, since the lower leagues etc

Whilst money is what’s killing football, I’d rather be a Man City fan than a Newcastle Fan.

I have a strong dislike for them, a club that got a stadium on the cheap and have been parachuted into a completely false position in the game due to the sovereign wealth of Abu Dhabi. A club that lies in its accounts, submitting false accounts to the UK authorities, as well as the FA and UEFA, pays staff into untraced offshore accounts and lies about Abu Dhabi based sponsorships. They have, alongside PSG made a mockery of FFP, by negotiating with Platini and Infantino, behind closed doors, to negotiate sham penalties, outside of the established FFP processes and procedures. A club that has manipulated FFP through community projects and by farming youth players on an industrial level. You cannot trust one thing about them. I just cannot take them seriously.

Of course Liverpool were the original ' false ' club, languishing in the old 2nd division until the Moore's family came to their rescue with the Littlewoods empire. The ' oil ' club of their day.
As for FFP, well that is a ruse brought in by the corrupt body that is UEFA to protect their brand and the cabal associated with it. Nothing to do with improving competition whatsoever.
isn't it hilarious that for a club you cannot take seriously, you continue to bark at the blue moon 24/7.

Don't really care much about them but they are a pretty unlikable club. Nothing admirable about what they've done the past 10 seasons or so. The Arab's could have given their money to any club in England and achieved the same.

We've been there and done that :)

I don't dislike him but I don't buy the big fuss. He's the equivalent of the guy who plays champ manager and always chooses to manage the best team. He inherited a great squad at Barcelona and has since moved to clubs that have tons of money, great squads and are already winning their leagues. Let's see him take Leicester to a championship then talk about his ability.

I don't understand this logic at all. Why wouldn't he want to work with the best players as much as possible?

It's like saying Messi is sh*te unless he goes and plays for St Mirren and wins them the title and proves he's as good with players that are sh*te.

He’s earned the right to not have to go and manage any underperformers.

Back